You Can’t Take It With You

bluebird

Significant Contributor
Well, that’s the thing… suicide here on Earth is supposedly contrary to any life-plan. No, I did not end my life on purpose (at least my incarnate self didn’t) in that previous life - I was hit by a car. But isn’t agreeing to end your life relatively quickly a kind of “planned” suicide? Like, yes, the car hitting me was an accident - in the Earthly sense. But if I planned it on the other side, isn’t it akin to basically planning to kill your next incarnation - a “spiritual suicide”, in the sense that the death WAS pre-planned, even though it was supposedly to benefit my soul group? Granted, I’m assuming that normally, we don’t plan our deaths on the other side - that that aspect is left to random chance. But let’s even factor straight-up suicide… if members of our soul group who will become our Earthly family need to experience real loss, and the questioning of that loss - couldn’t a life-plan then plan for the next incarnation to commit suicide, so that the family members experience and learn from that, and the soul group progresses? Wouldn’t that be a case where suicide is actually planned and accepted on the other side?

I don't really believe in the whole "life plan" idea. That is, I think it's possible we may choose ahead of time a few of the broad strokes of our lives -- gender, country of birth, maybe the sort of job or passion we will pursue....but I don't believe we choose every little thing, and I don't believe that we choose all the bad shit that happens to us. Maybe some people do choose to experience certain bad things, I don't know -- but I absolutely do not believe that we all choose the bad things that happen to us. I absolutely did not choose for my husband to die when and how he did, and neither did he.

That said -- it seems to me that there is one difference between being in heaven before you're born here and deciding then when/what your death will be (car accident, illness, etc.), and choosing to kill yourself once you're here. That difference is your awareness, your perspective.

If there is a beforelife/afterlife where we are when we're not here, and if we can make some choices about the details of our incarnation before actually incarnating, then presumably we do so while having some awareness of what our life on earth will be like, what the impact (on ourselves and others) will be of our decisions and actions, as well as making whatever sort of death choice we make based on how that will affect others and what it will teach them (*note: again, I don't believe we all do make such choices, but for the sake of argument lets assume that some do). So anyone who decides that suicide will be part of their life plan likely does so because s/he feels the experience will help others, teach them -- and her/himself -- etc., and those others presumably are on board with that plan.

Whereas any choices we make about death while here on earth are not made with that same awareness, since we evidently give up that more semi-omniscient (at least regarding our own existence) viewpoint when we come here. As a result, any choice we make here is by definition more short-sighted, since while we can know at least some of the ramifications our choices/actions will have on us and on our loved ones, we can't know all of the ramifications, not in the same way we can in the beforelife. I believe we all do still have the right to make choices for ourselves, including suicide, but while we may know some of the effects it will have on others, we can't know in the same way and to the same degree as we can in the beforelife.

So basically -- any life choices made while in the beforelife are more informed than those made while here on earth. To me, that's the difference.

I am left wondering what is the point of this life in the first place if there are things we can't bring back with us? The vision of any afterlife that is like visiting an alien civilization or an ethereal drug trip doesn't really sound like "home" to me.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
In turn I am left wondering why you came here today to declare those thoughts - what was the point? My own point was - of course - rhetorical. I do know why you came today because the reasons are the same as they've always been.

I don't know if you ever came to ALF to try to improve your understanding of the afterlife and related issues, the reason the founder of the site had for creating it but I suspect not given the constant theme of the few postings you have made since you joined 9 years ago.

You have been coming here aperiodically in a way similar to certain others, your approach also somewhat similar to theirs, viz "If the afterlife (or God) isn't exactly the way I think it should be then I'm not going to take part in it when I die." "If I can't do what I want then I'm not playing."

You are - of course - perfectly entitled to adopt such a barmy approach but please don't come here to ALF to continue displaying it - there are other places you can do that, spiritualforums.com being especially suitable because it's stuffed full of folk like yourself.

This website was created for one special purpose, its raison d'etre well known to regulars and declared in its mission statement. You wanna discuss afterlife issues, you wanna try to understand what happens after and before death, then I and others will try to help. But if you don't then perhaps you should now be moving on elsewhere....

In turn I am left wondering why you came here today to declare those thoughts - what was the point? My own point was - of course - rhetorical. I do know why you came today because the reasons are the same as they've always been.

I don't know if you ever came to ALF to try to improve your understanding of the afterlife and related issues, the reason the founder of the site had for creating it but I suspect not given the constant theme of the few postings you have made since you joined 9 years ago.

You have been coming here aperiodically in a way similar to certain others, your approach also somewhat similar to theirs, viz "If the afterlife (or God) isn't exactly the way I think it should be then I'm not going to take part in it when I die." "If I can't do what I want then I'm not playing."

You are - of course - perfectly entitled to adopt such a barmy approach but please don't come here to ALF to continue displaying it - there are other places you can do that, spiritualforums.com being especially suitable because it's stuffed full of folk like yourself.

This website was created for one special purpose, it's raison d'etre well known to regulars and declared in its mission statement. You wanna discuss afterlife issues, you wanna try to understand what happens after and before death, then I and others will try to help. But if you don't then perhaps you should now be moving on elsewhere....
Thank you for that other forum recommendation, and I also want to apologize if I've been an inconvenience to this forum by saying the stuff I did.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
Thank you for that other forum recommendation, and I also want to apologize if I've been an inconvenience to this forum by saying the stuff I did.
No apology needed and SF is much more your style - enjoy.