1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is an online resource to help those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions. We hope it will encourage you to research afterlife literature, ask questions and engage with other members.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

Why do mediums talk of contacting "spirit"?

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by Ruby, Feb 22, 2021.

1. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Why not "spirits"?

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I can't speak for mediums but the singular form 'spirit' often gets used as shorthand for 'spirit persons/individuals' or 'spirit people'. I don't care for it though.

3. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

It conjures up the idea of ghosts wafting about in a half life which I really hope is not the case.
    I was listening to a Zoom lecturer, a doctor who became a medium, who said the talk of "spirit" as opposed to "spirits" daunted him, but he would "explain later", and he didn't. I was wondering if the form is singular rather than plural because we are "all one" in the afterlife. I don't want to be "all one", I want to be me! Though actually, when messages are received by a medium they tend to be from an individual connected to the sitter. If we were truly all one, anyone could answer on someone's behalf. Maybe it's just a word that can be singular or plural like "sheep", and it's as simple as that.

baob likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

We are not 'all one' in the sense we don't still enjoy individuality. That term 'all one' is yet another that is avoidably confusing. Even saying we're all spirit after we pass over explains little more than saying we're all humanity when we're living in this world.

I avoid the term 'spirits' most times and talk instead about 'discarnates'. That word carries little unwanted or confusing baggage as far as I can tell.

5. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Excellent, thanks mac. Hope all well with you.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

Still hangin' on in there, Ruby......

7. jimrich

jimrich Established Member

Re: Why do mediums talk of contacting "spirit"?
    I am not a psychic but I see it as a way to speak of the other realm or "spirit" in short-hand or code (my 2nd wife was a very gifted Psychic/Medium) but I also see this as a "semantics" issue where words and their meanings can become mysterious or confusing unless given specific definitions. I'd guess one could use whatever word or phrase they wish and offer detailed explanations or definitions where needed.
    Ruby wrote: "Maybe it's just a word that can be singular or plural like "sheep", and it's as simple as that."
    Jim: I'd say that's it!
    Re: "all one", there truly is just one or one life/absolute/essence/being/existence (or whatever it's called) but it somehow magically appear as lots of apparently different "things" or individuals. It's a paradox or mystery that I can't explain or even understand.

8. STEVEN LEVEE

STEVEN LEVEE New Member

It's all just semantics...Doesn't really matter what you call them. There's multiple names one could call discarnates. How's Ralph for a name? Works for me:)! Arthur Findlay called them Ethereans...pretty cool name. Residents of Etherea, the ether...
    Individual parts of the one...is not hard to understand to me...God's the whole pie & we're the slices:)!

9. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Caveat -- the following is my opinion.

To me, using the word "spirit" rather than "spirits" just sounds a bit pretentious, but I have no real stake in the matter.

Of more interest to me is the "we are part of god" idea. I strongly disagree with the concept that there's a god and we are all just part of that god. Now, to be fair I doubt there is a god at all, but suppose there is -- in that case I could see that perhaps we came from that god, in that maybe that god created us, and maybe it used its own essence to do so (much as children are born of their parents), and so maybe our souls were originally slivers from that god.

Even if all of that is true, however, at this point, I am myself, I am not merely a part of god. Just as a human child becomes her/himself as s/he grows, learns, experiences, makes choices, etc., and therefore is and increasingly becomes her/his own self, differentiated from her/his parents, the same is true of our growth and differentiation from god. I am my own being, we are each our own being, and if there is a god then while we may die and be reunited with that god, we are not subsumed into that god, in my opinion -- or, if there is a god and if that god does force us to be subsumed, then it is an evil, selfish bastard. If there is a god and being subsumed into it is an option which some people choose, then fine -- that's not something I would ever choose, but as long as they truly have free will and it is truly their choice, then that's up to them. To me, making that choice would be negating who I am, it would be forfeiting my own existence for no reason So that god could gain my experience, as a vampire drains blood? No thanks. Assuming there is an afterlife, I would have no problem sharing my experiences with others, and learning about their experiences, but ultimately my experiences remain my own.

10. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

I agree, bluebird, but we are as grains of sand and all that.