What is the definition of a Near Death Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mac

janitor
No one wants to do that any more. This was far more common before the electronic age overtook us. Now, with iphones, computers and so many other devices, the concept of sitting in a circle for many weeks or months turns most people off. Some may try it for a short time just "for a lark" but wouldn't take it very seriously. I can't even find one to do it let alone a group. If only I was a natural medium, I wouldn't need the additional energy of other people.

Why were you disappointed by the Scole Hole, and did the handshake you experienced seem real? This happened to other visitors there as well. Some people were able to see the outline of an entity while others saw nothing, but they all agreed that the handshake was not imaginary. Also, those lights you described were shown in the video, and a few were seen going through a coffee table. It doesn't surprise me, as objects that appear solid to us do not appear solid to them.

It wasn't the Scole Hole that disappointed me. It was that the experiment didn't achieve what was promised.

The handshake felt as natural as any from an incarnate. It's all interesting stuff but physical phenomena have been around for decades and often were better done in the earlier days.

The lights were less surprising than just plain interesting. I already knew of that phenomenon because it was a common one at the time and had been described earlier in the 'Spiritual Scientist'.

Lola Hoovler

Yes, those lights are quite common. I saw them a few different times - always at a place where there was spiritual activity. Like I said, it's a shame that things have changed, as in earlier times, before things became so money orientated, there was a lot of physical phenomena that was brought about by sitters who took the time and had some patience. I think those days are gone forever. The goal of that whole Scole thing, I feel, was to convince people of life after death. People like you and I would be much less impressed than those who were non-believers and who had zero experience, and that's why they all seemed so excited on the video. My goal now is to learn how to effectively interact with the other side, and to learn more about what sends us to different "realms," but I no longer require proof that there is an existence beyond this one

To learn more about NDE's and even read the research and thousands of experiences go to nderf dot org The Near Death Experience Research Foundation. They also have stats on what are the most common aspects of NDEs. Read the Exceptional experiences, many of them align to alot of channeled texts and Channels like Law of One, ACIM, Darryl Anka Channeling Bashar, Law of Attraction, Channeling Erik and many many more and even Roberta Grimes research! Many of the experiences have brought me to tears. For every NDE story, there is a questionnaire that they answer, which gives even more insight to NDEs.

mac

janitor
To learn more about NDE's and even read the research and thousands of experiences go to nderf dot org The Near Death Experience Research Foundation.

That website is already included in ALF's 'Resources' section along with others.

They also have stats on what are the most common aspects of NDEs. Read the Exceptional experiences, many of them align to alot of channeled texts and Channels like Law of One, ACIM, Darryl Anka Channeling Bashar, Law of Attraction, Channeling Erik and many many more and even Roberta Grimes research! Many of the experiences have brought me to tears. For every NDE story, there is a questionnaire that they answer, which gives even more insight to NDEs.

From an ALF perspective I need to emphasise that near-death experiences are not experiences of life after the death of one's physical body. A near-death experience is simply one that sometimes comes about when a person's body appears close to death, where the individual shows none of the customary signs of life.

Some near-death experiences may be similar to some death experiences but they are not the same. It's important to remember that those reporting back on experiences haven't experienced death itself. That's strictly a one-way journey you don't get to report on from this side of the divide! There's no returning from death then sitting up in a bed and talking about it!

As I routinely remark, near-death accounts can be an invaluable way to get into the subjects of death, what precedes it and what follows it. But the importance of an NDE outside of that context should not be over-stated or over-valued.

kim

Regular Contributor
near-death experiences are not experiences of life after the death of one's physical body
This is one thing that I was very confused about during the NDE I experienced. I know now that I wasn't experiencing life in the after life, but during the NDE I didn't have a clue what I was experiencing. Everything had become intensely different, even odd. At the time, I thought I was experiencing the after life and I was so disappointed in what I encountered, but I finally realized I wasn't experiencing the after life, and I was so relieved to be aware that I had a "normal" earthly life to look forward to!

mac

janitor
This is one thing that I was very confused about during the NDE I experienced. I know now that I wasn't experiencing life in the after life, but during the NDE I didn't have a clue what I was experiencing. Everything had become intensely different, even odd. At the time, I thought I was experiencing the after life and I was so disappointed in what I encountered, but I finally realized I wasn't experiencing the after life, and I was so relieved to be aware that I had a "normal" earthly life to look forward to!
It just goes to show the differing effects of NDEs, kim. :)

Yours wasn't totally unpleasant but it was pretty unsettling for you and not particularly enjoyable. It's understandable you thought you had experienced something similar to life-after-death and maybe some of your experiences weren't that different.

These NDEs are helpful in one particular way - they make folk realise there's something more than just their lives in the here-and-now - but they then need to be helped to understand what those lives are about and what their significance is.

Lola Hoovler

That's a good way of looking at it. I've read of many NDE's that result in radical changes in people, and many of these people wind up totally changing their priorities.

mac

janitor
That's a good way of looking at it. I've read of many NDE's that result in radical changes in people, and many of these people wind up totally changing their priorities.
It's always nice to hear about the positive aspects of NDEs. These experiences certainly do appear to be life-changing for many or most.

On a different tack though, many years ago a friend's late wife appeared to him seemingly out-of-the-blue and the effects on him were breathtaking. It wasn't an NDE, of course, but the effect on his life, on his priorities, was astounding. I witnessed what happened, was involved in other events involving him and his wife, and looked on as a spectator at how it changed him.

In time, though, he returned to being someone apparently similar to the person I'd known for years but he could never 'unlearn' what he learned from the initial experience and all that followed from it. He was a changed man.

Lola Hoovler

I can see where that would create change. Although it happens to people, seeing an apparition is kind of rare. Maybe he has some kind of psychic abilities, as deceased people are around us quite often, but are seldom seen by people who aren't mediums. I wonder if he had dreams of her as well.

mac

janitor
I can see where that would create change. Although it happens to people, seeing an apparition is kind of rare. Maybe he has some kind of psychic abilities, as deceased people are around us quite often, but are seldom seen by people who aren't mediums. I wonder if he had dreams of her as well.

Before it happened I would have said my friend and colleague didn't have an ounce of psychic ability - or even a gram given I worked in science..... I remember the day it happened to him as clearly as anything else so vivid. I'd been out on a job and arrived back to find him excited and overwhelmed. He just came out with it that his late wife had appeared to him in my office and workroom area. It was totally out of the blue, nothing ever to indicate he had any relevant attributes. You know I'm not easily impressed, Lola, so when I tell you what I have just told you it's because it was a BIG deal. It was the start of other things but that's another story and one I've written about here in the past.

He was VERY attached to his wife who tragically died after major surgery. He was devastated by her death and his life became a maelstrom of unfortunate events including a new relationship that was a disaster with his money-grabbing partner trying to empty his home while he was at work with me! It was an unforgettable and traumatic time but it led eventually to the events I've mentioned and a whole bunch of other stuff that is related.

I sometimes look back on all the events - one especially important one I haven't mentioned here but I have detailed elsewhere - and wonder how the hell all that stuff came about and why and who was orchestrating everything. Why him? Why me? Was it all serendipity or were our friends unseen pulling countless strings, puppet-masters unseen and we were dancing to their tune?

Mostly now, though, I just see those times as part of a bizarre tapestry whose shape and form I get just occasional glimpses of. Others might disbelieve what I've said if they knew and/or dismiss it all as fanciful and fantasy. I don't care because none of what happened was relevant to them. They can believe me or not but it just doesn't matter to me. ;):)

As I remarked earlier, none of this had anything to do with NDE but the outcome was similar in many ways.

Lola Hoovler

I think his strong attachment to her was likely the reason he saw her. The phrase "love never dies" may sound a bit corny, but it has been shown to be true in many, many cases. They sense our feelings there if our feelings are intense enough, and he must have been in deep grief. She undoubtedly picked up on that, and I think that is why she appeared to him (to reassure him that she wasn't actually dead)

It sounds like her appearing to him was the beginning of a chain of events. as you said it was the start of other things. What a shame he got into that relationship. What he needed was comfort and someone he could trust, but it appears that it was just the opposite. Who knows how many "friends unseen" are orchestrating events in our lives.

mac

janitor
Who knows indeed....? I had always thought she'd be close by him because of their strong love but it wasn't something I'd try to explain to someone with no apparent interest in, or knowledge of, such subjects.

My thinking later - after certain events in which I was involved with my friend - was that our various relationships (I also knew her well) and my growing involvement and understanding of spiritual issues were used to bring about the eventual rescue of the small child, something that happened some weeks later.

On the other hand all the events might just have been fortuitous and serendipitous.

Last edited:

kim

Regular Contributor
What were you experiencing Kim? Many NDE's are beautiful - conversations with dead loved ones, beings like angels etc.
I don't have adequate words to explain what I went through, but I am thankful for it now. I wouldn't trade the experience for $1,000,000!

Lola Hoovler

Who knows indeed....?
Once people become aware of the possibility of spirits being involved in our lives, though, it might be easier to pick up on who might be around us. There are very few people who even think that's possible. They are too focused on their daily routines and their computers, iphones, etc. Knowing there are unseen spirits around can explain many coincidences that people often experience.

mac

janitor
Once people become aware of the possibility of spirits being involved in our lives, though, it might be easier to pick up on who might be around us. There are very few people who even think that's possible. They are too focused on their daily routines and their computers, iphones, etc. Knowing there are unseen spirits around can explain many coincidences that people often experience.

I think those engaged in getting on with their lives might retort they're not too focused at all..... ;)

It's my experience that individuals become interested in 'the spooks stuff' when it's the right time for them individually and preaching to them about our friends unseen is unlikely to have any appeal until our worldly friends have the need. And that's the time when we may help most effectively. :) It may also be the time they are more likely to pick up on discarnates hoping to make contact with them.

Reactions: kim

Lola Hoovler

Of course. I never even mention it to anyone that I know has no interest, as it would be a waste of time. At least more people are open to this than ever before, and I find more and more of them in book stores than when I first started to read "spooky books" at which time there was only one or two in the metaphysical section.

kim

Regular Contributor
What is the difference of a Near Death Experience and an Out of Body Experience?

mac

janitor
What is the difference of a Near Death Experience and an Out of Body Experience?

The former comes about as an outcome of an apparently life-threatening event - an injury like your own for example. The latter may also happen for a similar reason BUT it may also happen for different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.