slowing down

mac

janitor / administrator
When the new year has begun I will visit ALF much less frequently than at present. Little interest is evident with very few new registrations, most new members apparently having nothing to say or ask. I feel like the janitor of an unoccupied building so in future I'll call by every now and then just to tidy up and deal with any mail.

To that can be added my waning interest in what happens when, and after, we pass over. I'm now at an age where any lingering uncertainty/ignorance about details - not principles - will soon be replaced by knowing for sure! ;) :D

Last edited:

mac

janitor / administrator
;):)

Breaking the habit of calling by as much as I have been doing over many years will take some doing, bb. This website's founder has done it very effectively, though, but she always had lots of other distractions anyway.

Maybe I need one too? I could drink more alcohol as a starter..... :oops:;)

bluebird

Major Contributor
Careful with that solution, lol! Although now that it's winter and so cold, a hot toddy now and then wouldn't go amiss....;)

mac

janitor / administrator
Ah, yes, I'll be careful not to over-indulge on alcohol but I'm not a fan of hot alcoholic drinks anyway, not even in winter. I've experienced few good things about growing old but one might be needing less alcohol to achieve a specific effect!

Like I just said, I've found few good things about growing old but in my role as observer-more-than-participant I'm experiencing new situations as my body ages. They're interesting if not enjoyable observations. Often something crops up that leaves me remarking to my wife "How do old people go on with....." whatever new and unwelcome change we're discussing. Then there are everyday frustrations, stuff like needing to use a smart phone to do routine banking and to accept one-time passcodes for a purchase. Or when setting either of our two PVRs the need to remember two sets of procedures and navigate very different, often-baffling menus just to schedule a recording, something that ought to be simple.

I used to be an electronics engineer and I've had a lifetime as a 'fiddler' with small things but nowadays so many items have for me become a triumph of design over practicality resulting in tiny, fiddly, slippery buttons on a remote control or on a microwave oven. Or everyday items so complex we need to keep a user manual to hand. Or jar and bottle tops so tight and slippery we can hardly get them open. Or product security seals that are not only childproof but old-fart-proof! LOL? Well, no, because we don't laugh out loud at the struggles we experience with these and other common items.

I guess such are just a few of the frustrations of getting old but today's designers need to think about those who are less able to deal with their slick but often impractical designs. More thought is now given to helping the mobility-impaired and when things are made less of a challenge for them it usually makes them easier for everyone else.

bluebird

Major Contributor
All good and valid points. Don't they make some pill bottles which are easier for older people (perhaps with arthritis) to open, at least? Not sure what you could do about all the other stuff, though.

Auras

Occasional Contributor
Great to see you two still around. I try to pop in every month or so, at least when I remember to anyway.

Have a merry Christmas and New year, don't be getting too wasted ;)

mac

janitor / administrator
All good and valid points. Don't they make some pill bottles which are easier for older people (perhaps with arthritis) to open, at least? Not sure what you could do about all the other stuff, though.
I'll let you know, bb, but for now I'm free of arthritis.....

It's impossible for me to gauge whether it's solely because I'm losing muscle power or whether it's also because caps, tops etc are being fastened more tightly and securely! I can't grip the tiny plastic caps on water and pop bottles, (or the tiny caps on the tiny gin bottles on planes. I have to ask the steward(ess) to do it - what a wuss but the gin helps numb my embarrassment!) which I'm sure is partly me but I'm also thinking that caps might be fastened more tightly. Never mind - more ways to skin a cat than one and for now I'm still able to get into my booze bottles and most glass jars so I'll survive.

Somewhat off-topic now (report me to the administrator! lol) but recently my wife bought a huge jar of pickled beetroot (beet) whose diameter was so great - with a similarly large diameter lid to match - that it took me all my effort to grip the jar (wearing Marigolds for the grip they give) and my wife using a grippy opener at its widest setting, to get the damned thing open.

I was really looking forward to a cheese-and-beetroot sandwich but when I tried to fork a slice of beet it was hard and when I tasted it it was VILE! The claimed sweet vinegar tasted of savory stuffing! Last time we buy any of Lidl's giant jars of crappy beetroot! lol :) ;)

mac

janitor / administrator
Great to see you two still around. I try to pop in every month or so, at least when I remember to anyway.

Have a merry Christmas and New year, don't be getting too wasted ;)
hi Josh My best wishes to you too. I'd like to be able to promise you it'll be worth calling in every now and then but I won't promise what I can't deliver.

I hope 2023 is a better year for you personally.....

My days of getting wasted ended when I overdid gin one Christmas. I said never again and 50 years on I've stuck to it. For some years I couldn't even face gin but I've overcome that little hiccup but whisky I can't face at all now. Beware the Demon Drink!!! lol

Happy Christmas

Auras

Occasional Contributor
hi Josh My best wishes to you too. I'd like to be able to promise you it'll be worth calling in every now and then but I won't promise what I can't deliver.

I hope 2023 is a better year for you personally.....

My days of getting wasted ended when I overdid gin one Christmas. I said never again and 50 years on I've stuck to it. For some years I couldn't even face gin but I've overcome that little hiccup but whisky I can't face at all now. Beware the Demon Drink!!! lol

Happy Christmas
Oh, Mac. Even though the activity isn't what it used to be this website has all the information anyone needs to expand their knowledge on the afterlife. I will always stand by my suggestion I gave you a while back, turn the website into an archive but since you're not the owner, I highly doubt it will happen as it seems Roberta has abandoned ALF.

I am okay, Mac. Struggling as I lost my other auntie at the start of the month but as I have said and will always say, death does not upset me much anymore because I have faith in an afterlife. This does not mean I don't grieve, it just means I can deal with death that much better than the normal person.

I do love me some gin, especially some pink gin with lemonade. Though as of tonight I am drinking some Budweiser.

I hope all is well, Mac.