Sleep Connections and Lucid Dreaming

DenverGuy

I have long been intrigued with connecting with my girlfriend at night. I have heard that it is an idea time, and I love the prospect. Not as a dream but as a visit.

A few nights ago I had a lucid dream. I was walking down a residential street in my city and got lost. I couldn't find my way back. I found myself in a huge field or park with some tall residential buildings around it. The thing is that I KNEW that I was dreaming. I even somehow said that to myself. I knew I was in a dream, and it felt incredible, I felt like I was in a video game. I asked my girlfriend to join me, but unfortunately I woke up.

It was all pretty intense. I wonder if there is a way that I can make myself return to that dream location (I am researching that) and continue, and maybe meet my girlfriend there. That would be incredible. I would be thrilled if this is the start of something really good.

Sorry if sounds really weird, but I have never experienced this before. Have you had a similar experience?

bluebird

Major Contributor
I have had lucid dreaming experiences a number of times in my life, in which I knew that I was dreaming. I never did this intentionally, and the dream never started with my knowing it was a dream, I just became aware of it at some point. It can be kind of fun, certainly interesting, as you've just experienced. :) It really does feel a bit like a video game, I agree.

One instance that I remember which occurred many years ago, was a dream in which I was walking down the hallway of my middle school with a friend (in real life I was in my 20s at the time, and the dream-friend was not someone who existed outside of the dream), and suddenly became aware that I was dreaming. I turned to the dream-friend on my left and said "You know this is a dream, right?" To the best of my recollection, she said something like "Yeah, I know", lol. I don't remember what happened after that. I've had some other lucid dreams as well -- never "full length" dreams, but set pieces here and there.

On a perhaps related note, I've also had many dreams which have occurred in the same few places (houses, streets, towns) -- these were not lucid dreams, but I did recognize the places. For the most part they are dream-places only, though one large town does feature aspects of some of the real-life places I've lived and/or visited, as a kind of conglomerate, and the landscape (the streets, etc.) remains consistent from dream to dream. So perhaps if you do lucid dream again, you may be able to make yourself return to your dream-location of a few nights ago.

I believe there are mental exercises/disciplines you can undertake in order to try to increase your lucid dreaming -- however, I would caution you to be careful, if you decide to go that route. I've read that it can be somewhat emotionally challenging, and may exacerbate any mental/emotional difficulties you may be having. I don't know if more "natural" lucid dreaming has that same effect (I don't really know if intentional lucid dreaming and the preparation for same does either, I'm just relaying what I've read); my own lucid dreams, which occurred naturally, didn't cause any harm.

Unfortunately, since his death I have not had any lucid dreams in which I was with my husband -- I wish I would! From what I've read about dream visitations, they feel quite different from regular dreams, and even different from lucid dreams. Apparently they feel much more real than any other sort of dream. I've read accounts in which the dreamer was having a regular (non-visitation, non-lucid) dream, and suddenly her/his dead loved one sort of "broke in" to the dream, just appeared, and not as part of the narrative of the regular dream (sort of like the way a "breaking news bulletin" will interrupt regularly scheduled programming), and then they were able to communicate with each other. I hope you are able to actually visit with your girlfriend in your dreams!

mac

janitor
This is not my field so I can't usefully comment but if you haven't already tried alternative websites you might want to call in at spiritualforums.com.

I've been a regular contributor there for as long as I have here. There's a section for dreams which appears pretty active and you might find something interesting and relevant.

LPC

Interesting, DenverGuy. You have been given good advice by BB and Mac.

I have never experienced lucid dreaming, as far as I know, as I almost always forget my dreams on waking. Over many years, however, I have practised astral projection, which is in some ways similar to LD, the difference being that with AP one is in a state of trance rather than asleep.

There are different ways to achieve AP and I cannot go into all that in detail here. If interested, as Mac says, try other forums. However, if you are having difficulty achieving what you desire via sleep, then AP might be a better alternative for you.

There is a sleep deprivation method of AP - waking up in the middle of the night and then entering a "mind awake, body asleep" state. However, that never worked for me, as I just fall asleep again! The method I would recommend would be via binaural tones and/or self hypnosis. That way, you enter trance from a fully conscious state and are more certain of the "reality" of what you see.

There are some very wise words from BB above, especially "I've read that it can be somewhat emotionally challenging, and may exacerbate any mental/emotional difficulties you may be having." That is very true. If you want to progress with LD or AP, it is important that you are in a calm, loving, state with no background concerns. If you feel angry, nervous, jealous, or anything else negative - don't even think about LD or AP until you have solved such issues.

You may read elsewhere on the net about the "dangers" of AP. There is even a recent film from 2019, called "Astral". That film presents a fictional story line about what happens when a curious young man tries to make contact without proper spiritual preparation. Some people have reported that they have had terrible experiences during LD or AP. This is, IMHO, simply because they enter such experiences as a "game" or "challenge", often when in a poor mental and spiritual state, and do not prepare themselves spiritually before entering trance. If your heart is pure and loving when you LD or AP, then you will go to realms on the astral which accord with your spiritual state. I wish you well in your search, but do not rush into things and prepare very carefully.

Every best wish to you!

mac

janitor
quote: "There are some very wise words from BB above, especially "I've read that it can be somewhat emotionally challenging, and may exacerbate any mental/emotional difficulties you may be having." That is very true. If you want to progress with LD or AP, it is important that you are in a calm, loving, state with no background concerns. If you feel angry, nervous, jealous, or anything else negative - don't even think about LD or AP until you have solved such issues."

Important issues here I think. For Denver Guy the above may have particular relevance.

Ich war schon lange fasziniert davon, mich nachts mit meiner Freundin zu treffen. Ich habe gehört, dass es Zeit für Ideen ist, und ich liebe die Aussicht. Nicht als Traum, sondern als Besuch.

Vor ein paar Nächten hatte ich einen Klartraum. Ich ging eine Wohnstraße in meiner Stadt entlang und verirrte mich. Ich konnte meinen Weg zurück nicht finden. Ich befand mich in einem riesigen Feld oder Park mit einigen hohen Wohngebäuden .............n Sie ähnliche Erfahrungen gemacht?

Hello, there is an author who reports very intensely on lucid dreams - the multidimensional man - and also on after-live experiences: Jürgen Ziewe - Hallo, es gibt einen Autor, der sehr intensiv über Klarträume – der multidimensionalen Mann – und auch über Nachleben-Erfahrungen berichtet: Jürgen Ziewe

Last edited by a moderator:

Auras

I have long been intrigued with connecting with my girlfriend at night. I have heard that it is an idea time, and I love the prospect. Not as a dream but as a visit.

A few nights ago I had a lucid dream. I was walking down a residential street in my city and got lost. I couldn't find my way back. I found myself in a huge field or park with some tall residential buildings around it. The thing is that I KNEW that I was dreaming. I even somehow said that to myself. I knew I was in a dream, and it felt incredible, I felt like I was in a video game. I asked my girlfriend to join me, but unfortunately I woke up.

It was all pretty intense. I wonder if there is a way that I can make myself return to that dream location (I am researching that) and continue, and maybe meet my girlfriend there. That would be incredible. I would be thrilled if this is the start of something really good.

Sorry if sounds really weird, but I have never experienced this before. Have you had a similar experience?
I have had lucid dreams in the past and I have practiced to have lucid dreams. There are dozens of techniques to use so but I'll link you to the main ones. It's your choice which one you'd like to start with first. However, whichever one you do pick, stick with it for about 1-2 months before trying another one. My recommendation would be DILD and MILD until you get more experienced.

DILD ( Dream induced lucid dream )
MILD ( Mnemonic induced lucid dream )
DEILD ( Dream exit induced lucid dream )
WILD ( Wake induced Lucid dream )

These are the main ones but you may research for others if these don't fit your style.

Here is some other resources which should help you if you want to learn.

Reality Checks
Dream Control
Dream Recall Tips
Pay Attention, Reflect, Recall

I've listed quite a bit which should hopefully get you going. I'm always a PM away if you have any questions.

The best advice I could give is to be patient with yourself, there will be times were you feel like nothing is working, it's at this point you must accept that you regular dreams are just as wonderful and fun. A lucid dream is just a bonus.

Lucid dreams can feel like a video game, as you and bb have said. Though I've found that there are different levels of lucidity. I've had one were it feels realer than life itself and other ones not so much, much like it seemed foggy.

I've thought about picking the practice back up, but it can be mentally exhausting.

mac

janitor
Hello, there is an author who reports very intensely on lucid dreams - the multidimensional man - and also on after-live experiences: Jürgen Ziewe - Hallo, es gibt einen Autor, der sehr intensiv über Klarträume – der multidimensionalen Mann – und auch über Nachleben-Erfahrungen berichtet: Jürgen Ziewe
Es tut mir leid aber wir sprechen nur Englisch auf ALF. Kőnnen Sie auf Englisch schreiben?