1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is a resource for those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

Question

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by cleodoggie, May 28, 2012.

1. I knew you were going to say that, what a coincidence.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

Can there be 'coincidence' when there's only one event?

Maybe you just foreknew the future? ;)

3. Lol, good one Fasaga ;)

Seems like you two are enjoying playing games with words :)

4. mac

mac Staff Member

Pedantry is my forté but I'm not playing games. ;)

The correct use of words has significance and importance. If we don't make an effort to communicate clearly we're not fully respecting one another....

If we've tried our best we can do no more.

5. I understand what you mean dear Mac.

The problem would be with people where English is not their first language (including me). For example, I am sure that at times I am misunderstood since maybe, I use the wrong words to express or explain what I mean.

English is a very rich language, and there are different ways to explain something, with each word having a slightly different meaning in a specific context.

But I agree with you, proper communication is very important (not just here on the forums but everywhere really), all I'm saying is that it's not always perfect as we wish due to limitations of language barrier.

Guess, in the afterlife, where we communicate by thought, there isn't this barrier.

This coincidence debate is quite interesting though! :) I have thought about it a lot in the past, but it's hard to get a straight answer.

6. mac

mac Staff Member

"This coincidence debate is quite interesting though! :)" Then you might be interested in my new thread although it presents more challenges than it gives answers! :D :eek:

7. Don't worry. I'm sure that you will coincidently get a straight answer some day. :eek:

8. Hehe, I hope to : )-

9. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The fact that so many afterlife communications involve odd or seemingly coincidental events means that we need to have a reasonable understanding of just how likely a particular small event or sent of events really is. For example, a man walking down your street is an utterly unremarkable sight. But a man wearing a stovepipe hat and riding a unicycle backward down your street while he juggles turnips is so entirely remarkable that it has to be considered wildly unlikely that such a sight ever has occurred before, anywhere. And when it turns out that your recently-dead uncle rode a unicycle and had a turnip farm and was a noted Lincoln buff - and when the man then maybe disappears in thin air - well, clearly you are having a communication vision. Those two extremes are clear; but it is the in-between areas that give us trouble.

I don't know much about the science of statistics, but I use my own rough-and-ready sort of statistical analysis on these matters. Here is how I go about it:

1) If it is just one event, how likely is it to have happened on its own, and how closely linked does it seem to be to someone who has died? Finding a penny isn't all that remarkable. But finding a penny standing on its end in a place where no penny was an instant before and then discovering that it bears the year of your loved one's birth is another matter! Not a likely entirely random event, and therefore more likely to be a communication.

2) If it is a series of events, how much does the repetition add to refute the possibility of coincidence? Finding pennies may be no big deal... but what if you are suddenly finding nickels? Perhaps nickels which all bear the same significant date? (Some coins left by the dead bear key dates, but many do not - that detail is not critical.) What if (as has happened) you are suddenly finding identical groups of coins on the ground - say, a nickel and two pennies - and your loved one died on the seventh of the month? In calculating the likelihood of events, it is my understanding that you must multiply the odds of each supposedly random event by the odds of each other such event. Since finding a penny and two nickels together on the ground is probably somewhat rare, if you were to find five such clusters over a couple of days you would find that the odds against chance for that whole series are astronomical.

3) How connected with your loved one are the unusual events? For example, my grandmother wore a distinctive lilacs-and-lilies-of-the-valley kind of light perfume. Her parlor smelled deeply of it. And for several years after her death - long before I understood the significance of this! - I was catching random whiffs of that familiar smell out of nowhere, indoors or out, just there and gone. Now, one whiff might not mean much... but repeatedly catching a scent that I have literally never smelled in my life other than in association with my grandmother seems significant to me!

Upper-level beings communicating through mediums - and Mikey as well - tell us that the odds against chance of any single random-seeming event actually are pretty high, to the point where they feel confident in saying that literally there are no coincidences. More and more, I am coming to believe that our loved ones are constantly trying to communicate in whatever ways they manage to dream up, and it is only our thickness and our belief that these things can't happen that keeps us from the joy of receiving and really believing in the gift of their messages.

10. I totally agree with you Mac, our words, our language, and our grammar are extremely important in communicating our meanings correctly. I will certainly pay far more attention to my spelling in future.