$million for best evidence - results published!

Ruby

Regular Contributor
The Bigelow Institute has published a lot more than it's three top choices for evidence for an afterlife. Great Christmas holiday reading!
I have read through (most!) of Bernardo Kastrup's essay but am puzzling over these two lines early on in the essay:-
"It is the body that is in consciousness not consciousness in the body. After all, you have never become acquainted with this thing you call your body outside your own consciousness, have you?"
I'd have thought that if consciousness is solely in the body then these are the conditions under which we'd never be acquainted with our body outside our own consciousness, but if consciousness is all around us ... oh I don't know... Anyone able to enlighten me?
The essays are available to download at the Bigelowinstitute.com.

mac

janitor
I can't help, Ruby, and I'd need to consider the context of Kastrup's idea if I were to try to understand what was meant. I was lucky to be persuaded about our survival without any complex ideas or the help of an institute researching the situation. :)

Reactions: LPC

mac

janitor
That's a total US$1.8 million the BIC awarded to the 29 essayists, a huge amount of money! 28 more essays to download and read over Christmas and any winter pandemic lockdown!

It would be interesting to learn whether you feel any more persuaded after what you read. Can science make the difference?

Ruby

Regular Contributor
A part of my mind thinks the idea far-fetched, but science could make a difference. I will keep reading. Merry Christmas mac!

Auras

For science to be able to make a difference then things need to change. At the moment, if something can't be measured, it's basically useless. However, science seems more open to consciousness studies than they were 100 years which is actually good progress. The closest we have at the moment are studies on near death experiences, astral projection, reincarnation which may suggest that there may well be an afterlife, given the scientific data that has been recorded within these areas.

It is the data we have now which gives me hope in an afterlife. Even though there is no concrete evidence, it looks promising.

Edit: Take what I'm saying with a grain of salt when I'm saying that "if something can't be measured, then it's basically useless" because it depends on how this is used. Science may be able to identify something but not properly measure it.

Ruby

Regular Contributor
The essay from Elizabeth G Krohn is very well written and has a great personal story. It is an extraordinary mind-boggling read, but well worth it. She starts with some introduction and theory and her story starts on page ten. Incredible. No idea what to make of it. Highly recommended.

baob

The essay from Elizabeth G Krohn is very well written and has a great personal story. It is an extraordinary mind-boggling read, but well worth it. She starts with some introduction and theory and her story starts on page ten. Incredible. No idea what to make of it. Highly recommended.
Thanks, Ruby! I am started to read.