member responses and conversations - general

mac

Administrator
It's the option for each of us..... I can't tell if my easy life is the outcome of a choice I made because I'm a coward or because I've faced and dealt with sufficient difficult situations for my immediate needs. ;)

bluebird

Major Contributor
I have to agree with Antonio, when he says that everyone's experience is different. I've made no secret of the fact that I am agnostic regarding the existence of an afterlife, nor of the fact that my grief remains as deep now as it was when my husband died nine years ago. Nonetheless, I have had experiences which may very well have been signs from my husband, particularly in the first six months to a year after he died, and the first of which occurred on the very first night following the day of his death.

I have to agree with Antonio, when he says that everyone's experience is different. I've made no secret of the fact that I am agnostic regarding the existence of an afterlife, nor of the fact that my grief remains as deep now as it was when my husband died nine years ago. Nonetheless, I have had experiences which may very well have been signs from my husband, particularly in the first six months to a year after he died, and the first of which occurred on the very first night following the day of his death.
It is very nice to have someone say something about my post after having joined this site very recently after listening to Carol's presentation at Global Gatherings Sunday meetings.

I want to share a few things from my personal experience and what I have read and discussed with others.:

-First I do not think that being an agnostic will interfere with you receiving contact from your loved one. If they want to contact you they will regardless of your beliefs.

-I would not consider myself agnostic but a hard core scientist (medical doctor) You got to prove it to me kind of person

-But grief will lower your vibration and interfere with the connection but those across the veil can still come through (as my wife did during the very early stages of my loss when I was in acute grief)

-It can become a catch 22 situation...contacting those you love that are on the other side can help alleviate your grief but being in grief interferes with the contact. Doing a session of RRGT, or Loving Heart Connection can help alleviate the grief and also help connect at the same time with your love one. I just did an RRGT session last week and found it very helpful not only as a way of reducing some of the grief that was still present but also making the connection feel more alive and real.

-I was lucky because I took many courses and read a lot during the early stages of my loss (my wife of 47 years transitioned on Nov 2020)

-I was also lucky to have met Dr Len LaScolea (the ultimate skeptic) and read his book For All is Love. The love story of how he connected with his wife and still does. I immediately realized that the ADC signs were real and coming from my wife and I CULTIVATED THEM!!! This is key because if you don't recognize and respond in some way I have read and been told those in the afterlife may eventually give up trying to connect with you. But they will come back if you make it clear that you will respond. But this is where your agnostic views may get in the way.

Hopefully my comments will help you and others and maybe Carol and Mikey can comment.

Antonio

bluebird

Major Contributor
Welcome to ALF, Antonio.

I don't think that being agnostic would interfere with my husband communicating with me, I never have. I mentioned that I am agnostic (regarding the existence of an afterlife, as well as regarding the existence of a god) in order to say that despite not knowing if an afterlife exists at all, I have experienced what may very well be signs from my husband (who, if he still exists, does so in the afterlife). Regardless of my being agnostic about the existence of an afterlife, when I have received possible signs I have always responded by thanking my husband and talking with/to him, in case he does still exist and the signs really did come from him.

I don't necessarily agree with the idea that grief "lowers vibration" and interferes with connection/communication with dead loved ones. It may be true, at least to a point, but there's no actual proof of it being the case (just as there's no proof of the opposite). It's also possible that people put forth and believe in this theory in an attempt to explain why they haven't heard from their dead loved ones, when the reason may actually be that those dead loved ones no longer exist and that there is no afterlife (please note -- I am not saying that that is the case, only that it is one possibility).

If you are right about grief lowering one's "vibration" (though I must say, while that word is often used in this context, I find it very new-agey and inexact -- not directed towards you, I mean in general, in the way many people use it in this context) and inhibiting contact/communication, then at the least it doesn't cause a complete block, as your experience and my own may demonstrate. Aside from that, though -- if grief does lower vibration and inhabit contact/communication, then that is a vastly cruel setup, and if there is a god that intentionally created that setup then it is a cruel god.

You said you are a doctor -- what is your area of practice? Also, I'm curious to know if you have read neurosurgeon Eben Alexander's book Proof of Heaven and, if so, what did you think of it?

Last edited:
It is very nice to have someone say something about my post after having joined this site very recently after listening to Carol's presentation at Global Gatherings Sunday meetings.

I want to share a few things from my personal experience and what I have read and discussed with others.:

-First I do not think that being an agnostic will interfere with you receiving contact from your loved one. If they want to contact you they will regardless of your beliefs.

-I would not consider myself agnostic but a hard core scientist (medical doctor) You got to prove it to me kind of person

-But grief will lower your vibration and interfere with the connection but those across the veil can still come through (as my wife did during the very early stages of my loss when I was in acute grief)

-It can become a catch 22 situation...contacting those you love that are on the other side can help alleviate your grief but being in grief interferes with the contact. Doing a session of RRGT, or Loving Heart Connection can help alleviate the grief and also help connect at the same time with your love one. I just did an RRGT session last week and found it very helpful not only as a way of reducing some of the grief that was still present but also making the connection feel more alive and real.

-I was lucky because I took many courses and read a lot during the early stages of my loss (my wife of 47 years transitioned on Nov 2020)

-I was also lucky to have met Dr Len LaScolea (the ultimate skeptic) and read his book For All is Love. The love story of how he connected with his wife and still does. I immediately realized that the ADC signs were real and coming from my wife and I CULTIVATED THEM!!! This is key because if you don't recognize and respond in some way I have read and been told those in the afterlife may eventually give up trying to connect with you. But they will come back if you make it clear that you will respond. But this is where your agnostic views may get in the way.

Hopefully my comments will help you and others and maybe Carol and Mikey can comment.

Antonio
Hi Antonio! Thanks for your replies! What is RRGT? Excuse my ignorance! Thanks so much. Jessy

bluebird

Major Contributor
The idea of not having privacy for one's thoughts is very disturbing!!!

It would be, if this meant that dead loved ones could read our thoughts at any time -- but that's not what I meant or what I think, and I don't think it's what Carol and Mikey said either, or what the situation actually is.

If there is an afterlife, and if our dead loved ones can "hear" our thoughts, I think that is only the case when we are specifically sort of "sending" those thoughts to them, and maybe also when we are thinking about them in passing. If my husband still exists in an afterlife, I don't think he's spending any time eavesdropping on my thoughts about the latest The Walking Dead episode, or what I think of the climate change crisis, or any other (more) private thoughts.

Ruby

Established Member
Thanks for that, bluebird. I wonder what the difference is between thinking about them in passing and specifically sort of "sending" a message their way and how to effect the latter as that would be good to know and might possibly result in a "sign". Maybe if Carol reads this she could suggest how to go about it, although she does it with her pendulum and I'm frightened of creating strange "disturbances". I should probably not look for signs and be grateful for those I've received. But it would be good to have confirmation from Mikey that those in the spirit world aren't mindreaders.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Well, it seems to me that "sending" a message -- telepathically broadcasting to a dead loved one, if you will -- is sort of a "call" to them. I think it's almost like a phone ringing, which they can then "pick up" -- but more often than not, the connection is such that they can "hear" us, but we can't "hear" them.

And as far as thinking about them in passing, maybe that's something like getting a text or an e-mail, where they are sort of aware it's there, but the call to answer it isn't as strong.

I suppose it's possible they could listen in on our thoughts at other times, but I really don't think that's the case -- and even if it is, I doubt they would want to do so. Presumably they have better things to do.

All of this, of course, is predicated on the existence of an afterlife at all, something of which I am not fully convinced, but I do believe it's a possibility, and I hope it's a fact.

Ruby

Established Member
Thanks, Bluebird, I am similar; open to both persuasions.

I see that Michael Tymn's blog post this month is entitled "On absolute certainty of life after death". He concludes that there cannot be this certainty, but he is far along the road to believing in it, as readers know. He is worth reading as he is so knowledgeable, although not impartial. Another I like just now is called Paranormalia, by journalist Robert McLuhan. He stopped writing it in 2017, maybe because he was involved in writing the new PSI Encyclopedia for the Society for Psychical Research. However, it is still online and available to read.

I am away on a break just now and visited a Japanese garden the other day. The creator of the garden holds meditation classes there and I bought a CD to try it. I understand that meditation can help bring about an alteration in consciousness which can help develop psi skill (I think!!!??) I put the CD into the machine and fell asleep right away. Not sure I'm going to make great progress.