• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

member responses and conversations - general

shanny

A couple of seasons ago I made myself various pendulums, some charts and did some experimentation. I was not impressed by the results and completely unpersuaded that any knowledgeable entity was in any way involved.

It's easy to believe that because others - Carol and Mikey included but theirs is exceptional - use pendulums that just anyone can. The blind testing you did highlights the weaknesses of using a pendulum and also the foolishness of trying to foretell the future with one.
Hi Mac,

Yes that's true. It shows how easy it is to be mystified by something which you don't understand. The fact that it moves on its own and changes direction depending on what I'm thinking is just so amazing it's hard to believe it's anything but divine...and the fact that it's called divining does not help! I do believe with practice I could get more use out of it, it's already helped me to find several lost items around the house and I believe it was more than just dumb luck. I heard that the issue with asking questions about the future is that with free will and the fact timelines change all the time, it's improbable that the predictions will come true, but maybe perhaps at the time of asking the question it's true? I believe a spirit would be able to tell us the future, but maybe they are not allowed as it would affect our decisions and we would not learn our lessons?

mac

site administrator
Staff member
Hi Mac,

Yes that's true. It shows how easy it is to be mystified by something which you don't understand. The fact that it moves on its own and changes direction depending on what I'm thinking is just so amazing it's hard to believe it's anything but divine...and the fact that it's called divining does not help! I do believe with practice I could get more use out of it, it's already helped me to find several lost items around the house and I believe it was more than just dumb luck.

It may be less controversial if you are only asking where the lens cap from an important camera is in your home. The proof of that particular pudding is pretty easy and you may choose to believe it was a contact providing that information for your benefit. Would such a trivial request result in a divine - from God - intervention? It might if you think God was that interested in your finding a lens cap.....

But could you ever be sure it wasn't the process of asking that triggered a recall of details from deeper in your memory? Let's go with the first assumption though, that the find was down to the intercession of a spirit. What if you then asked an answer to a question somewhat deeper? Would you trust an unknown responder with that because you'd been guided to a lost lens cap?

A couple of points emerge from this approach. If pendulum movement were to be influenced by the involvement of a discarnate could we be certain that a) that spirit actually does know the answer to a question and b) could be trusted to give it?

Asking questions of any incarnate individual makes most sense when we are confident in the ability and the integrity of the individual answering it. Why would we automatically trust an answer seemingly originating from an unknown discarnate - a spirit person? I have often argued that those most readily contactable 'over there' are those who remain close to this earth plane, a situation that may suggest minimal spiritual progress and/or a desire to move forward. You gonna trust this individual?

I heard that the issue with asking questions about the future is that with free will and the fact timelines change all the time, it's improbable that the predictions will come true, but maybe perhaps at the time of asking the question it's true? I believe a spirit would be able to tell us the future, but maybe they are not allowed as it would affect our decisions and we would not learn our lessons?

You will hear about or read all manner of claims about telling the future. In reality there is no single future anyone can foretell. There are many potential future outcomes. With a little spiritual insight/foresight there's the possibility that someone, somewhere may figure a likely future outcome in a limited range of subjects. But that wouldn't be THE future. It would be one potential outcome of certain events.

My opinion is that serious spirit-viewers of earth events may see more of the overall picture from their vantage point. Now unrestricted by their puny physical bodies some will be able to compute the most likely outcome of many variables - but that's still not 'telling the future'. Even then chance changes to the data might quickly and significantly change a computed potential outcome.

As for a point in your last sentence it's not that spirits aren't allowed to "tell us the future". As I explained above it's not possible to do that and perhaps it's a good thing that trans-dimensional communication isn't easy. If it were possible, just picture the chaos that might result from idiots here listening to idiots 'over there'. We might indeed change our behaviours and our decisions but we're not here to "learn our lessons". We're here to experience life in-the-body.

We're told what we learn from our experiences enhances the rate of our spiritual progress compared with what we'd make if we didn't live as incarnates. This is the essence of lives as humans.

shanny

It may be less controversial if you are only asking where the lens cap from an important camera is in your home. The proof of that particular pudding is pretty easy and you may choose to believe it was a contact providing that information for your benefit. Would such a trivial request result in a divine - from God - intervention? It might if you think God was that interested in your finding a lens cap.....

But could you ever be sure it wasn't the process of asking that triggered a recall of details from deeper in your memory? Let's go with the first assumption though, that the find was down to the intercession of a spirit. What if you then asked an answer to a question somewhat deeper? Would you trust an unknown responder with that because you'd been guided to a lost lens cap?

A couple of points emerge from this approach. If pendulum movement were to be influenced by the involvement of a discarnate could we be certain that a) that spirit actually does know the answer to a question and b) could be trusted to give it?

Asking questions of any incarnate individual makes most sense when we are confident in the ability and the integrity of the individual answering it. Why would we automatically trust an answer seemingly originating from an unknown discarnate - a spirit person? I have often argued that those most readily contactable 'over there' are those who remain close to this earth plane, a situation that may suggest minimal spiritual progress and/or a desire to move forward. You gonna trust this individual?

You will hear about or read all manner of claims about telling the future. In reality there is no single future anyone can foretell. There are many potential future outcomes. With a little spiritual insight/foresight there's the possibility that someone, somewhere may figure a likely future outcome in a limited range of subjects. But that wouldn't be THE future. It would be one potential outcome of certain events.

My opinion is that serious spirit-viewers of earth events may see more of the overall picture from their vantage point. Now unrestricted by their puny physical bodies some will be able to compute the most likely outcome of many variables - but that's still not 'telling the future'. Even then chance changes to the data might quickly and significantly change a computed potential outcome.

As for a point in your last sentence it's not that spirits aren't allowed to "tell us the future". As I explained above it's not possible to do that and perhaps it's a good thing that trans-dimensional communication isn't easy. If it were possible, just picture the chaos that might result from idiots here listening to idiots 'over there'. We might indeed change our behaviours and our decisions but we're not here to "learn our lessons". We're here to experience life in-the-body.

We're told what we learn from our experiences enhances the rate of our spiritual progress compared with what we'd make if we didn't live as incarnates. This is the essence of lives as humans.
Hi Mac,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and to give me all your thaughts on it. I agree with what you say. There is no way to verify any of the information you get and if I happen to find lost things with it, who is to say it's not just my subconscious remembering where I left things.
I can understand now why it's not a common practice to use pendulums, I suppose this is why they are no more than a curiosity.
There are some people on YouTube who seem to live by them and say they talk regulary with their spirit guides and even angels. I'm not sure if an angel would have much interest in what I'm up to anyway, as you say why would the divine have much interest in finding lens caps!

I intend ask more questions and play around with it, because it is interesting. I am grateful for your advice

All the best. Matt

mac

site administrator
Staff member
Hi Mac,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply and to give me all your thaughts on it. I agree with what you say. There is no way to verify any of the information you get and if I happen to find lost things with it, who is to say it's not just my subconscious remembering where I left things.
I can understand now why it's not a common practice to use pendulums, I suppose this is why they are no more than a curiosity.
There are some people on YouTube who seem to live by them and say they talk regulary with their spirit guides and even angels. I'm not sure if an angel would have much interest in what I'm up to anyway, as you say why would the divine have much interest in finding lens caps!

I intend ask more questions and play around with it, because it is interesting. I am grateful for your advice

All the best. Matt
my pleasure, Matt

These things interest me also despite my having little confidence that pendulum details have much importance.......

I applaud your approach - play around and ask questions until you're satisfied one way or another. I don't like to be judgmental but those who use pendulum answers from unidentified sources I feel are misjudging their situation. Even if a pendulum were being controlled by a discarnate in giving answers, how could one be confident about the identity of the communicator or their intentions? It's not impossible but neither is it easy. I would understand it if answers to questions had proved reliable and helpful over a long period of testing

Somewhere I posted a piece about pendulums by my friend Jim Warwood, an ex-Brit Spiritualist who's long lived down-under. If you're interested the 'search' facilities here should locate it - look for his name first.

As a final point, the relationship between Mikey and his mother, Carol, may not be unique but it is uncommon. A look at Flying High will show how things began but it's important to reflect that although Carol squirms when I call her a medium, she is indeed a clairaudient medium. She and Mikey began their recognisable communication using a pendulum but my view is that she's always been psychic/telepathic without necessarily being aware and/or acknowledging it or realising what it would eventually lead to.

Nowadays I think Carol will agree with me that her contact with Mikey is primarily telepathic, the pendulum still used by her for focus, reassurance and detail checking etc. I suggest that's a big step 'up' from the point most average Joes and Josephines will ever find themselves.

mac

site administrator
Staff member
I recently opened a new thread in which medium and teacher, Andy Byng, speaks about mediumship and how things began for him. Andy Byng, medium, teacher - 'The Soul Purpose'

Interviewed for a podcast he speaks about how he learned to meditate, a practice often recommended for anyone wanting to improve their receptiveness/sensitivity. He also explains what mediumship means for himself and although that's probably not what you're looking for, Matt, it's an interesting interview that gives a helpful insight into matters of the spirit.

mac

site administrator
Staff member
Thanks for answering my questions :)

I have (an)other questions:
1. Can we hide our own secrets and do private things in afterlife?
2. How about getting drunk/high? I’d really like to manifest/create my favorite booze there ;)
If you're actually serious then on the second question it's "no" in physical terms the way you might concoct booze in this dimension or experiment with drugs. That's because there are no drugs and no reagents from which to make 'em; there's nothing from which to distill ethanol or to flavor it.

You might concoct them from the power of your mind but you'd also have to concoct every single aspect of a process comparable with those you'd use in this particular physical dimension. You'd also have to concoct a biological system equivalent that allowed your etheric body to register the effects of your booze. Otherwise they would be imaginary, illusory.

I guess, though, you were having a bit of fun ;) and it's certainly fun to dream and fantasise about such near-impossibilities. What has to be remembered always, however, is that the etheric dimensions aren't fantasy lands hence fantasies don't take place in them other than personally-created mental ones.

As for the first of your questions, teachers and guides tell us there's no concealing one's true self. You must decide for yourself whether to accept that guidance but if a desire for concealment is a feature of your life you'd like to continue 'over there' I fear you will be disappointed. You could, of course, withdraw from all contact with everyone else there so yes, in effect, you could hide your secrets and do private things because you'd be by yourself. But if you wanted to do those things around companions you'll find life there just doesn't work that way. :)

I wouldn't be surprised if you wanted to challenge me by saying: "How do YOU know?" ;):D

bluebird

Major Contributor
I guess, though, you were having a bit of fun ;) and it's certainly fun to dream and fantasise about such near-impossibilities. What has to be remembered always, however, is that the etheric dimensions aren't fantasy lands hence fantasies don't take place in them other than personally-created mental ones.

A related question came to my mind when reading Jeana's post, which the portion of mac's response I quoted above might sort of address, but I'd also like Carol and Mikey's views on it.

While alive here on earth, we can daydream, have fantasies, etc. More satisfyingly, we can dream (especially satisfying for those who are able to sometimes have lucid dreams), and for some (all?) of us those those dreams actually feel real while we are having them.

So, I would first like to hear if Carol and Mikey agree with mac about not being able to create drugs/alcohol while in the afterlife (IIRC, Carol has relayed that Mikey is able to create not only a snowboard but an entire snow-covered mountain on which to use it, so a joint or a bottle of beer seem fairly simple/easy in comparison). In addition to that, though, I'd like to hear Carol and Mikey's view(s) on whether, once in the afterlife, we are able to semi-realistically create whatever we want in something akin to a dream-state.

Thanks!

mac

site administrator
Staff member
They're good, related questions, bb, and link back to what I've asked on numerous occasions. How do the sciences of the etheric world compare to those of the physical one?

I've yet to hear a clear explanation but increasingly - perhaps it's my getting addled in old-age, perhaps it's because I'm getting clearer impressions - I'm not persuaded by what I'm hearing about mountains, oceans etc 'over there'. I find this hard to convey in words but I don't think there's anything solid in the sense we experience solid here on earth. My hard-to-convey impression is one of worlds that are created collaboratively but exist virtually, in the 'minds' of those who experience what they have to offer. Hence a snowboard and snow are as easy to create and experience but only virtually. They are 'real' in the sense they're experienced 'over there' but not physical and solid in the sense we experience "physical and solid".

Using your reasoning I accept that a bottle of Bud or a twist of coke or any other concoction could be created by anyone imaginative and creative enough to "imagine" them into existence. Hence they could be experienced in their imagination as vividly - more vividly! - as our physical bodies experience them. But the experience would be a virtual one. The bottle of Bud would have an existence only in the mind of the creator and anyone else who could 'tune in' to it. The bottle of Bud wouldn't exist as a glass bottle that was created in a bottle making plant, the beer would not exist as a beer that had been brewed using hops etc, there would be no twist off cap coming from somewhere else and no carbon dioxide to fizz up the beer.

Some time ago one of our regulars talked about building a log cabin 'over there' and living alongside nature etc. I replied then similarly to the above but I did not see things quite the way I do now.

I'd like to quiz Mikey directly about each point to better understand the situation but trans-dimensional communication don't work that way and I expect I'll not get much more clarity before I've kicked my clogs and get to find out for myself.

Whether I'll care then, but more relevantly whether I'll even think about such issues after I've 're-located', remains to be seen but my guess is that I just won't care and those things will have no relevance anyway! :D

bluebird

Major Contributor
You may be right, mac. If you are, I'd be ok with that -- as long as my husband and I are able to create and live in the house we want, filled with books and antiques and our cats, etc., and as long as it is real to US, that's good enough for me. Whether it actually exists physically is less important to me than is us being able to experience it as real, and to live within it.