1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is an online resource to help those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions. We hope it will encourage you to research afterlife literature, ask questions and engage with other members.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

member responses and conversations - general

Discussion in 'Carol and Mikey Q&A 'follow-on-discussions'' started by mac, Jan 6, 2020.

1. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Unfortunately that's just racism at work (in this particular example, I mean). :(

2. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm assuming you're meaning the skin color matter? I'm more forgiving, bb. People are fallible and the ones who created the images may not have acted deliberately in a racist fashion - although I concede they MIGHT. ;)

In my view it's not important how any individual pictures Jesus in her mind but it is important when others are likely be influenced by an image they're exposed to or if they're deliberately taught something that's patently absurd. Children are most obviously at risk of being misled but adults should have the nouse to sort it for themselves.

3. bluebird

Yes, I mean the skin color. Maybe initially Jesus was portrayed as white by priests, Christian book publishers, etc., in western countries because it was known or at least assumed that some white people in the US, Canada, Europe, etc., wouldn't be able to accept a more accurate portrayal due to ingrained racism....I know that some Christian fundamentalists continue to portray Jesus as a white guy because of their racism. I'm sure there are some people who aren't deliberately racist about it, but c'mon -- how could anyone with even a modicum of intelligence really believe that Jesus, who according to all accounts was Middle Eastern (at least insofar as his humanity), could possibly have pale skin, blue eyes, and Caucasian features? Maybe children could believe it, but any adult who does is either unintelligent or disingenuous.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

no argument there, bb

It would be illuminating to hear what folk might say if approached but how many would be honest?

5. bluebird

Good point. Even people who aren't truly racist often have some ingrained bias of which they may be unaware -- the same can be said of sexist or homophobic thinking. And even when that isn't the case, sometimes language can contain bias even when the speaker does not intend for it to be so....Just as an example -- as a child, part of the lexicon among my peers and I if we felt we had been in some way cheated was to say we'd been "gypped", which I now know is a derogatory term about the supposed behavior of Roma people (gypsies), a way to say they steal/cheat, but as a child I had no idea the word had anything to do with gypsies. As a non-racist adult, however, I haven't used that word since I found out its origin/meaning.

baob likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

Is there any wonder that trans-dimensional communication (for those who accept such a notion) is so difficult when we humans have such difficulty at times just within our own dimension?

baob likes this.