• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

I Never Left You (poem)

DenverGuy

I Never Left You
John F Connor

I watch you every day
I'm always very near
I know deep in your heart
You realize I am here

I watch you while you sleep
In your bed at home
I hear you when you speak to me
When you're on your own.

You cannot understand
The reason why I have gone
But I will never leave you
I'm always there to keep you strong.

Talk to me I hear you
Though you may not see
We share an unbroken bond
That will always be.

Death won't keep us apart
For our love is forever
Just remember me in your heart
And one day we will be together.

Live your life and live it full
Don't waste a single day
Remember I'm always with you
Every step of the way

Ruby

Established Member
That's lovely, and sympathise as always with the sentiments. Last weekend I turned to speak to my husband as I was standing drying my hair looking in the wardrobe mirror, so not looking at the door which was just next to me. I felt a rush and a change in the air, assumed the door had opened, and said something or other but there was nothing there. It makes me reflect that if there is an afterlife, just hovering around on your own not being able to make contact is sad, and creepy for us living beings, feeling as if we might be being watched. If you live in an old house, just how many spirits might be around you, or is this just nonsense? It may not be dependent on age of the building. If they are around us, why have they not gone to higher realms as they're supposed to? At the same time, I am pleased that they may well be here, so it's complicated. If it had been my husband that had died, I'd definitely LOVE the idea of him being around, like you do, Denver. (Wish I could be there now to see the Rocky Mountains in the snow). However, a young person just out of the teenage years drifting about the house on his own in a completely unknown state of consciousness sounds sad to me. Why are they intent on saving us from death too, or not living our lives fully? If the afterlife was so great they wouldn't try to stop us joining them. Anyone have any thoughts?

bluebird

Major Contributor
Ruby,

I don't know if what you felt was a spirit or just your house settling or something else, but I wanted to share something that happened to me years ago, in order to offer another possibility.

This was many years ago, when I was living in my previous apartment, and I'm pretty sure it was before I even met my husband (so he was definitely alive). That apartment had a small entry foyer, a big bedroom, and a big living room. There was no door between the living room and bedroom, so in order to go from one to the other it was necessary to walk to the front of the apt and traverse the foyer (sounds complicated, but it wasn't -- there was just no hallway, and the foyer was about the size of a bathroom, so it was very quick to do).

Anyway -- one day in the evening, pretty early I think, but starting to get dark -- I walked from the bedroom into the living room, and as soon as I entered the living room I got a very strange feeling. It felt to me as though someone/something were there, a spirit of some kind. It didn't exactly feel malicious, but it did feel scary -- I kind of felt as though a prey animal must feel, when it senses it is being hunted, but to a lesser degree (it's hard to explain -- it didn't feel evil, it just felt otherwordly).

I froze for a few seconds, unsure what to do, then I did what humans always do to try to ameliorate the situation -- I turned on the light (in this case, it was an overhead light, set into the middle of the living room ceiling, and the light switch was on the wall right near the entrance to the room). So I flipped the switch, the light went on, and about 3 seconds later the light blew out, and the feeling was immediately gone -- I mean completely gone, no sense of anything anymore.

I absolutely believe that in this particular case, what happened was down to EMF ("electric and magnetic fields are invisible areas of energy...associated with the use of electrical power and various forms of natural and man-made lighting"). Basically, because the light bulb was reaching the end of its useful life, the EMF charge associated with it had built up to the point that it needed to discharge. What I felt was that strange energy stored in the air, and then as soon as it discharged the feeling was gone.

If you watch "ghost shows" at all, you will have seen paranormal investigators using EMF readers to read the electro-magnetic energy in the air. It is often associated with lighting and electronics, and people often report hauntings in areas of high EMF concentrations, and then once the EMF is lowered (the house is rewired, or some of the electronics are moved elsewhere so it isn't so concentrated in one area, etc.), the people report that the "haunting" (eerie feelings, etc.) has disappeared.

So -- sometimes what feels like a presence is quite literally just a change in the air. ;)

Ruby

Established Member
Interesting, thanks Bluebird. I was mainly responding to the poem posted by DenverGuy, but what you've said reminds me that the one apparition I had in February '18 was during a thunder and lightning storm. A lot of people seem to have so-called paranormal experiences through electrical equipment. The ghost shows you mention often seem to promote the idea of the paranormal so when they use that equipment presumably they are not dismissing the possibility that it exists. I hope it does, although it sounds frightening, as I said above. Or is that just me? (I have just listened to an interview which said that doubt is a most spiritual state. Oh good. Curt Jaimungal on Better Left Unsaid analysis on Skeptiko)*. I think I've become very watchful in the bedroom because of what I experienced there. I sound nuts but it was the towering swirling blackness and the vivid colours!
* typed while I remember spelling!

bluebird

Major Contributor
Ruby,

It's not just you -- I absolutely hope we continue in an afterlife, as that is the only way I will be able to be with my husband again. I'm not saying that all such experiences are related to EMF or other electrical issues -- some may be related to actual spirits, if spirits do exist, but others have more mundane explanations.

It's also possible that actual dead people / spirits find it easier to appear or communicate with living people during lightning storms; perhaps the electricity actually makes it easier for them. I don't think that's what was happening in the experience I relayed, though.

Ruby

Established Member
You've said before, Bluebird, that if your husband were to appear you'd believe in an afterlife. But would you not then just think it some kind of misperception or hallucination?

bluebird

Major Contributor
You've said before, Bluebird, that if your husband were to appear you'd believe in an afterlife. But would you not then just think it some kind of misperception or hallucination?
Possibly, but I don't think so, if his appearance were clear enough, if he would speak to me, etc. I want to see and be with my husband more than anything else in the universe (I would rather he not have died and that we were living the lives we should have had, but failing that I want to die and be with him). Since it has been over 8 years since he died, if I were going to have a misperception or hallucination I think it would have happened by now, so if I were to see him now I think I would likely accept it as real.

Ruby

Established Member
An apparition of a dead person doesn't necessarily indicate survival, but if they bring new information with them, or if they appear before the perceiver knows about the death, it is more convincing.

By the way, there are two new films posted on the website of the Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia. One from Bruce Greyson addressing an IANDS conference, which I watched last week and found very engrossing, and the other from Jim Tucker which I've still to see, although that will be about reincarnation which is fascinating but not a very attractive prospect to us here.

bluebird

Major Contributor
If my husband appeared to me, I believe I would believe it to be him -- my reasoning being that which I stated in my previous post (though I agree that in general if the dead loved one provided new information or appeared before the perceiver knew of her/his death, that would be more likely to convince the perceiver).

Last edited:

Ruby

Established Member
I've read some of Oliver Sacks's book "Hallucinations", and cases such as a man who had a line along the middle of his vision below which monkeys were jumping about and above the line all was normal. I'm sure however that he doesn't write about cases such as a recent one, which was written about in an article in the Lancet, of a Frenchman who was found to have very little brain tissue but was living normally, married with children and working as a civil servant. It's these sorts of observations that can be more evidential, although some lucky people can just have the confidence to believe according to their experience.