1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is an online resource to help those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions. We hope it will encourage you to research afterlife literature, ask questions and engage with other members.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

How to prevent future reincarnation from happening?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Handoko, Dec 3, 2020.

1. mac

mac Staff Member

Certain spirit-side teachers and guides have said that although spiritual progress can be made without incarnating into this physical dimension, experiences able to be undertaken here can greatly enhance that progress. It's also been suggested individuals are keen to undertake earth incarnations of whatever sort, even those we see as extremely challenging.

There are two possible extremes. One is that we all reincarnate repeatedly for an undefined 'time' - the 'Spiritist' teaching seen in 'The Spirits' Book' by Kardec, for example. The other is that none of us ever reincarnates. Lying somewhere in that spectrum is actuality I suggest although actuality will likely mean very different things to individuals.

I do understand, though, how difficult it is to rationalise the situation given our limited perception and recently I've found myself viewing my own position very differently from the way I used to.

2. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

mac,
    How did you used to view it, versus how do you view it now? (If you don't mind sharing, that is.)

3. mac

mac Staff Member

It's not a simple issue for me, bb. Recently I did think about writing about my disillusion over some of the philosophical aspects of what's been taught about our reasons for incarnating and reincarnating. Now, though, unless I feel there's a good reason to make a specific point I don't feel as much the desire to make many points at all.

I mentioned something similar elsewhere here.

4. bluebird

Understood. :)

5. mac

mac Staff Member

I decided to return to this subject although I have doubts I'll find words to adequately convey my feelings.

Reincarnation is a regular topic for discussion and debate. There is a great deal of uncertainty and I expect there's a huge amount of misunderstanding. For anyone unable to accept the notion of survival and a life beyond death of the body the companion notion of returning to this world is academic. We can't have the latter unless there's the former. That's the simple part of this conversation and everything else is hugely complex.

I used to feel comfortable I knew enough, understood enough, to be able to accept why we incarnate and eventually reincarnate. I didn't know much but I used to feel it was enough for me. I haven't changed in my certainty about the overall situation but I am beginning to feel I don't know or understand the way I used to. I'm now starting to think some is more belief than persuasion. That's anathema to me because I have declared many times that I don't do belief or faith in matters of the spirit - what I don't know is what I don't know and I won't substitute it for belief and faith.

I have heard the words of guides explaining the nature of incarnate life and multiple lives. I don't doubt they have explained the situation as best they can but I am losing confidence I can continue to accept what I've heard. My feeling is that in trying to convey in words principles all-but impossible to understand their explanations have been dumbed down to the extent they no longer work for me. (I have been having many recent concerns about communication.)

This is nothing to do with God; I was always comfortable that I don't have a single clue what God means and that hasn't changed. What's bugging me now is the idea of logic and planning in connection with life incarnate, the notion that the difficulties experienced in lives as incarnates are truly as valuable as has been suggested. Explaining is hard but just one aspect I find impossible to figure is why there is progress from millions of souls coming to this world - the exploding global population - experiencing difficulties similar to those experienced by uncountable numbers of souls in the past.

I just don't get it and I'm reaching a point where I'm not accepting there actually is the spiritual value we've been told about. That's just one small point but there is much else that is causing me issues.

bluebird likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

Having said what I have in #15 I still am certain about survival and life beyond death. I have seen many examples recently of mediumship of the highest order, stuff that did not involve me in the least.

No what concerns me now are issues surrounding communication above that of evidential mediumship. It's my problem and I need to work it.

7. kim

kim Regular Contributor

I feel this is what I have done: requested a challenging life. Sometimes everything is so good, but then at another time I am so fearful! Is there a purpose to this?

8. bluebird

See, part of why I don't think suicide is inherently wrong has to do with this. If we choose to come to this planet and have a life here -- and even more so if we choose even the broadest strokes of our lives -- then IMHO we have the right to decide that we made a mistake in doing so, and choose to rectify it.

9. mac

mac Staff Member

One definition of 'purpose' is "have as the intention or objective"

You ask if there is a purpose to it, kim, a purpose to your challenging life? Nobody in this world, of course, can be certain but you may well be bang on right that you chose your challenging life. I'm the last person to say anything against that.

But if it's hard for others to accept they chose the challenging lives they're leading you could also ask "Has there been a benefit?" On that question teachers and guides have indicated the way we deal with difficulties can enhance spiritual progress. I don't know if they would accept that as a benefit while they're still in this world.

kim likes this.
  10. kim

kim Regular Contributor

I think others here think this world is all there is. I "forget" it too sometimes.