Hello again

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
Hello everyone. I was a member here long time ago and used to read the posts. I have been to many afterlife forums, groups, and asked questions, but the answers I get are either too complicated for my little brain, or they just were trying to confuse me. I understand the afterlife and reincarnation and why it happens. But I have a few questions. I hope you will be patient and kind enough to answer them. So here goes:

1. When a person dies, the soul transcends. Is the soul "me" as in my consciousness, or an etheral entity. Meaning does my consciousness die with my body.

2. If my soul reincarnates, what happens to "me". Do I dissipate into the ether or become a record in a book. Or do I survive there on some plane with my family. Like if I had previous lives, where are those previous "people". I asked this to a few people and all I got was, even if you reincarnate, it's you. I mean, no when I reincarnate, it would be as someone else. This is a pressing question.

3. If and when I reach there, will I meet my deceased relatives? What if they decided to reincarnate? Will I meet this idea of them that I have in mind?

I know my questions may sound silly, but I've been plagued by them all my life. I most sincerely hope you reply or guide me to where I can get the answers. Thanks.

mac

Administrator
I'm usually up for trying to help seekers but I've taken a look at your stats and you've been a member but not around here since 2011.....

What did you find in that time that leaves you now asking the questions you are doing? You say you understand the (so-called) afterlife and reincarnation but you've asked: "If and when I reach there, will I meet my deceased relatives?" That's pretty fundamental stuff - do you really not know what happens?

If you can put me into your picture then I'll perhaps understand what you're now looking for. And maybe then I'll be able to give you some pointers..... :)

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
Hi Mac,

Glad to see you after so many years. I was away from these forums as I realized it was affecting my thoughts. However, recently I was very ill and these thoughts returned. I've read what happens, but the whole reincarnation thing has me confused. If I have lived many lives before, what has happened to those previous versions of me. Are they simply a record in a book, or they exist in some plane? If I reincarnate again, what happens to me, do I also become a record or do I exist on some plane.

mac

Administrator
With utmost respect, and without intending to pry, may I ask if you've been experiencing emotional/mental ill health issues? I'm not a medical practitioner but I am aware how those can lead to anxieties about death etc.

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
Yes I have a severe Fear of death and it has absolutely crippled me emotionally. What would you say about my questions.

mac

Administrator
Hello everyone. I was a member here long time ago and used to read the posts. I have been to many afterlife forums, groups, and asked questions, but the answers I get are either too complicated for my little brain, or they just were trying to confuse me. I understand the afterlife and reincarnation and why it happens. But I have a few questions. I hope you will be patient and kind enough to answer them. So here goes:

1. When a person dies, the soul transcends. Is the soul "me" as in my consciousness, or an etheral entity. Meaning does my consciousness die with my body.
As one question but needing two answers..... Your soul is the 'real' you. It's YOU whatever name you give it. It's what animates an otherwise-inanimate body.

2. If my soul reincarnates, what happens to "me". Do I dissipate into the ether or become a record in a book. Or do I survive there on some plane with my family. Like if I had previous lives, where are those previous "people". I asked this to a few people and all I got was, even if you reincarnate, it's you. I mean, no when I reincarnate, it would be as someone else. This is a pressing question.
Another composite question.... What happens to the real YOU - your soul or your spirit whichever sits most comfortably with you - is similar to what happens for most everyone else. You don't dissipate into the ether or become a record of whatever kind - you live on in spirit form rather than in physical body form. In any previous lives the real YOU animated other bodies as individuals born to different sets of parents and with you experiencing lives as incarnates. The incarnate you - partly your spirit self and partly your physical self - are asking these questions.

3. If and when I reach there, will I meet my deceased relatives?
Yes - provided you want to meet them and they want to meet you - is there any reasons they wouldn't?
What if they decided to reincarnate? Will I meet this idea of them that I have in mind?
If any of them have reincarnated and is alive again in this world when you pass over you won't meet her/him until you're both back in the etheric dimensions. But you'll learn WHY someone has reincarnated and understand WHY you won't meet again in the etheric. That's perhaps the biggest difference between this world and the next - in the next you'll UNDERSTAND whereas in this world you don't understand such matters - at least not at a conscious level.

I know my questions may sound silly, but I've been plagued by them all my life. I most sincerely hope you reply or guide me to where I can get the answers. Thanks.
Your questions don't sound silly but I do wonder why you've not found answers to them here - or elsewhere - since you became a member on ALF in 2011..... I've been around since then and I'd bet diamonds I've been saying much the same things the whole of that time.

If my answers don't appeal to your reason then please chuch 'em in the trash and look elsewhere for answers.

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
Dear Mac,

Firstly thank you so so much for your detailed answers. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yes I was around then because my dad was suffering from an illness. Then I left as all this was affecting my thoughts. And I understand what you explained. I'm still a bit unclear about the previous versions of me. Are they existing in the afterlife with their families. As you can clearly see, my mind isn't as developed as you guys to understand these complexities. If it were upto me, I'd live on in whatever plane I go to with my family. Dunno if that's possible.

mac

Administrator
Dear Mac,

Firstly thank you so so much for your detailed answers. I thank you from the bottom of my heart. Yes I was around then because my dad was suffering from an illness. Then I left as all this was affecting my thoughts.
Bereavement can be an extremely challenging time. With the actual loss of the close, family member may come the desperate dread of never seeing him or her again. ALF is not a religion-based website and I don't promote my own (it's not a secret what that is) but what's found there is an explanation of what death means and also one about how it's not the end of the individual.

And I understand what you explained. I'm still a bit unclear about the previous versions of me. Are they existing in the afterlife with their families.
Try seeing life as a stage play - it's a crude analogy but maybe what follows will help you.

Each of us can be seen as an actor in a production that is only partly directed and it's unscripted. You, I and everyone else enters this world in the same way but the roles we will play are different from one another's. I don't need to explain how our lives develop and how they finally come to their ends and those roles do not repeat. We each leave the stage and our roles end. BUT then we each are free to choose another role at some point and we choose our new lives, our new roles with help and support from all the souls who know us and love us.

Without getting too deep at this point, those we have lived with or known in some other way are likely to be individuals we have known and loved for a very long time and over many past lifetimes - but each of us playing different roles and having different relationships with each other. So we don't lose contact with our current family members - if we love one another - when their lifetimes come to an end. They will be around and waiting for us when our own time approaches and in times to come we may choose new relationships with one another in new roles.

As you can clearly see, my mind isn't as developed as you guys to understand these complexities. If it were upto me, I'd live on in whatever plane I go to with my family. Dunno if that's possible.
In respect of your last point I've often heard a similar point made. To set your mind at ease, should you still feel the same after you have passed over and become re-acquainted with discarnate life - life in our natural spirit forms - and should your family members feel the same as you, then there's absolutely nothing to prevent you living together again as a family.

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
meditation? Idk....my Life has been crippled by these thoughts. I just want to get rid of this fear fear enjoy a healthy life.im trying hard.

mac

Administrator
You haven't responded to a single answer I gave you so I'm assuming none of what I wrote appealed to your reason.

knight1985

Occasional Contributor
I'm sorry, I found all your answers helpful. I just get confused about reincarnation. If I have reincarnated now, my previous selves, where are they? Does our soul create a new spirit for each birth? If a previous version of me exists, what is their purpose now.

I'm sorry Mac. I know I ask stupid questions.

mac

Administrator
I'm sorry if this is going to sound tough but trying to understand reincarnation without a solid foundation of understanding life, death and what follows is a hard ask for anyone. I'll try to find a different way to answer what you've again asked.

You've asked: "If I have reincarnated now, my previous selves, where are they?" Let's nail this bit first - you may NOT have reincarnated. This MIGHT be your first experience of life in-the-body. :)

Without exception - and wholly logically - ALL of us must have had a 'first-time-here' life or may even be experiencing it right now. But assuming this is not your first time then whoever you were on a previous occasion died at the end of her/his life. So any (quote) "previous selves" - when you were animating ("living in") different bodies and born to different parents etc - are over, those bodies dead, buried or burned. Your spirit however is eternal and it left all those bodies when they died - only the physical body dies, not the spirit.

Your spirit self is the 'real you'. At all other times you were playing different parts in different productions.

mac

Administrator
Does our soul create a new spirit for each birth? If a previous version of me exists, what is their purpose now.

I'm sorry Mac. I know I ask stupid questions.
Not stupid questions at all but asked without truly understanding survival. ;) You asked: "Does our soul create a new spirit for each birth?" I don't bother with trying to understand the difference between soul and spirit - they're near enough the same thing and one does not create the other.

You've asked: "If a previous version of me exists, what is their purpose now." The answer is that NO "previous version" of you exists hence asking about its purpose has no meaning. You are who you are and the individuals you may have been and the ones you may become are wholly transient states of existence. When they're dead they're dead BUT what you learn by having experienced being those individuals stays with you, the 'real you', your true, spirit self.

Auras

Occasional Contributor
With utmost respect, and without intending to pry, may I ask if you've been experiencing emotional/mental ill health issues? I'm not a medical practitioner but I am aware how those can lead to anxieties about death etc.
This comment really opened my eyes quite a bit. You know quite a lot about my past and in recent years my belief in an afterlife has somewhat degraded. My fear of death gets worse everyday.

My mental health issues really changed my belief systems. It’s full of if buts and maybes but on the negative side.

mac

Administrator
I wish I had something to improve your outlook, Josh, but I can tell you only what I have told you before.

Auras

Occasional Contributor
I wish I had something to improve your outlook, Josh, but I can tell you only what I have told you before.
It’s a pleasure of spending nearly a decade on combined forums with you. You’re a knowledgeable person not only on afterlife topics but general / life topics which have helped me. So, thank you.

While this is off topic to the original poster. I wonder why I’ve been drawn to spiritual / afterlife topics since an early age. It can’t be a co-incidence...

mac

Administrator
It's generous you should put things that way..... We've had our ups and downs over several years but I'm genuinely sad you're still finding life a struggle. I wish I had answers to point you in a direction that would help but I'm sorry I don't. I do have some ideas although I'm pretty sure they'll be the ones I've mentioned before. Nevertheless I'll offer my thoughts again because the time may not have been right earlier.

I won't mention personal issues as an open forum is not the place but I can say something general that applies to yourself and will also apply to others who may read this conversation. In my mind you are the kind of individual I call a 'sensitive', someone probably aware of spirits and perhaps able to see, hear or even communicate with them in some way. The details don't matter and may vary widely from one person to another - it's not important if I don't have yours right.

I'll lay my cards on the table - I DON'T HAVE A SINGLE CLUE why some individuals are that way. I wish I did! It seems awfully unfair that sometimes there appears to be only downside in being that way but I expect for some the upside may become apparent with the passing of time.

I've listened to a fair few personal accounts where individuals later found the 'gifts' they had perhaps been aware of - but didn't use - began to fit into their lives as they grew older. I don't have any statistics to back that up but I will say that in time your sensitivity, Josh, may become something helpful to others and fulfilling for you. I'm sorry that's wish-washy but I can't be definitive and can't promise anything. What I can say with certainty, though, is that better personal understanding is achievable and better understanding might be the beginning of a clearer direction.

I am also completely certain that learning all you can about spiritual issues that pull you in a particular direction, or just reading generally even if none do right now, will not be a negative influence. I'll temper that by saying PLEASE DO NOT read crap and fantasy! There's plenty 'out there' online and in books so PLEASE stay away from it.

For you and for anyone in a similar situation living in the UK (What follows may not apply to our US members.) I suggest you consider seeking out places where you will be with like-minded and maybe similarly-gifted individuals. I'm not going to push my religion or its meeting places - they're not the only locations but they are easy to find. Wherever you go, though, look for individuals with abilities/sensitivities similar to your own. You may find experienced mediums who can identify your sensitivity and perhaps know how to help you develop it.

If the above doesn't appeal then why not become a member of Spiritual Forums (Spiritual Forums), a website that has forums for all manner of specialities and a very active membership? There you may find others with similar sensitivity or interests.

Last edited:

Auras

Occasional Contributor
It's generous you should put things that way..... We've had our ups and downs over several years but I'm genuinely sad you're still finding life a struggle. I wish I had answers to point you in a direction that would help but I'm sorry I don't. I do have some ideas although I'm pretty sure they'll be the ones I've mentioned before. Nevertheless I'll offer my thoughts again because the time may not have been right earlier.

I won't mention personal issues as an open forum is not the place but I can say something general that applies to yourself and will also apply to others who may read this conversation. In my mind you are the kind of individual I call a 'sensitive', someone probably aware of spirits and perhaps able to see, hear or even communicate with them in some way. The details don't matter and may vary widely from one person to another - it's not important if I don't have yours right.

I'll lay my cards on the table - I DON'T HAVE A SINGLE CLUE why some individuals are that way. I wish I did! It seems awfully unfair that sometimes there appears to be only downside in being that way but I expect for some the upside may become apparent with the passing of time.

I've listened to a fair few personal accounts where individuals later found the 'gifts' they had perhaps been aware of - but didn't use - began to fit into their lives as they grew older. I don't have any statistics to back that up but I will say that in time your sensitivity, Josh, may become something helpful to others and fulfilling for you. I'm sorry that's wish-washy but I can't be definitive and can't promise anything. What I can say with certainty, though, is that better personal understanding is achievable and better understanding might be the beginning of a clearer direction.

I am also completely certain that learning all you can about spiritual issues that pull you in a particular direction, or just reading generally even if none do right now, will not be a negative influence. I'll temper that by saying PLEASE DO NOT read crap and fantasy! There's plenty 'out there' online and in books so PLEASE stay away from it.

For you and for anyone in a similar situation living in the UK (What follows may not apply to our US members.) I suggest you consider seeking out places where you will be with like-minded and maybe similarly-gifted individuals. I'm not going to push my religion or its meeting places - they're not the only locations but they are easy to find. Wherever you go, though, look for individuals with abilities/sensitivities similar to your own. You may find experienced mediums who can identify your sensitivity and perhaps know how to help you develop it.

If the above doesn't appeal then why not become a member of Spiritual Forums (Spiritual Forums), a website that has forums for all manner of specialities and a very active membership? There you may find others with similar sensitivity or interests.
Yes we have had our ups and downs but I find that after sometime it’s best to leave any disagreements in the past.

Life is a real struggle for me. Nothing really seem to get my interests running high unlike spiritual and afterlife related stuff. It’s true that some people don’t find their “thing” until later in life which is why you’re probably right in terms of learning to use your gifts until a later age.

At this point in my life I don’t feel I am “sensitive” as you say. I have spent time growing up around paranormal experiences and still do to this day but I have adopted the mindset that everyone is like this, some way or another. I would like to say that I empathic, I’m a very emotional person and very much in touch with my feelings. I like helping as much as I can. I am what some people would call a “giver” rather than a taker.

I remember going to a spiritualist church at the age of 16/17 and while I had the privilege of watching mediumship at work, I certainly felt like I didn’t “fit” in place there. I have never been since.

I will join that Forum you recommended.

Thank you for your advice. It’s greatly appreciated.

I don’t want to advertise but I am on a forum called ParanormalForum. It’s not your typical spiritual/afterlife forum. More so paranormal experience, investigations but it does have a spiritual section. I won’t link it as I don’t want to get in trouble for advertising.

mac

Administrator
I hadn't planned on responding but I got the feeling I should. We're off-topic but so what! lol Who's gonna complain!?

What you're showing, Josh, is empathetic sensitivity - I think. Empaths come in all shapes, sizes and colours. Your description of being emotional, wanting to give rather than take, are what indicate the kind of sensitive you are. I had a friend who exhibited similar traits but when we sat together after the formal development meeting we held each week I could 'tune in' to her and guide her to 'tune in' to the spirit friends we had around us in circle and who stayed on after we broke up. She bordered on mediumship but didn't want to go there.

Being an empath isn't an easy role - duh! Look who I'm talking to! You know that, don't you? It's especially hard as there's no formal development process for a sensitive that I'm aware of, unlike with mediumship. Empathetic sensitives feel others' emotions and they may be left with after effects from those emotions. Just as with mediumship an individual needs to learn how to switch off so she/he isn't left bruised and battered emotionally.

There are techniques for switching off and it's best someone with experience teaches them. It's not being unkind to switch off - nobody should be constantly open to picking up on all the issues that trouble folk in this world. Selectivity needs to be developed and deployed. You can't help everyone and it's important to recognise that. Your own health should not come second, be that emotional/mental or physical health.

Sorry if that sounds like a lecture. It's just what came to me and I've passed it on for what it's worth.

jobun

Occasional Contributor
I don’t want to advertise but I am on a forum called ParanormalForum. It’s not your typical spiritual/afterlife forum. More so paranormal experience, investigations but it does have a spiritual section. I won’t link it as I don’t want to get in trouble for advertising.
I go to that forum as well... I'm not a member there but I do read the spiritual posts.

mac

Administrator
It's OK for members to post links to other sites with a similar or related focus. The website rules explain what's acceptable.

Skye

Occasional Contributor

3. If and when I reach there, will I meet my deceased relatives? What if they decided to reincarnate? Will I meet this idea of them that I have in mind?

Hi Knight1985,

First of all, no question is ever silly.

Here are my responses to your questions.

1. I believe it is people's interpretations of the soul and the spirit of an individual that creates misunderstandings. Our human Spirit doesn't die with the physical body. Our spirit survives and becomes one with the Soul consciousness when our Spirit returns back to source when physical death happens.

2. Energy cannot die, it can only transform. Our Spirit continues to grow and progress in the Spirit world. Mediums connect to our Spirit to establish proof of survival when loved ones go for a mediumship reading.
I'll use the analogy of a Rubik's cube to hopefully get my point across about reincarnation. Imagine if you will a Rubik's cube and see the whole cube as the one soul of consciousness from which we came and shall return. One square section of the cube represents an individual facet of a life lived. Therefore, the whole cube (Soul) will always contain everything about that particular life experience of one person, or life. It doesn't dissipate.
It's not our Spirit (the life force we are experiencing now) that reincarnates. It's another facet of the Soul that incarnates to experience life as a human being.

3. Yes, all of our loved ones will be there to meet and greet us on the other side of life because love is the connection. Reincarnation doesn't happen in the way many people are led to believe, in my opinion. I'm not naive enough to say I have the truth, nor can I be definitive in my answer. Nonetheless, the Rubik's cube analogy resonates above all other explanations I have heard about reincarnation and Spirit communication with a medium. I believe our loved ones will show themselves as they were when here so we can recognise them especially if they died at a young age.

I hope my explanation helps in some way.

mac

Administrator
I'm sorry to tell you, Skye, that Knight 1985 didn't stick around and hasn't been on ALF since May when he first arrived.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I'm sorry to tell you, Skye, that Knight 1985 didn't stick around and hasn't been on ALF since May when he first arrived.
Ah, no problem Mac. Thanks for letting me know. I appreciate you telling me.

mac

Administrator
So many new members visit a couple of times, sometimes just once, and then they're gone. :(

mac

Administrator
Regrettably, I believe this is happening everywhere. :(
I've written about this before here on ALF but also elsewhere. Facebook special interest pages attract many seekers but forum-based websites probably seem old-hat by comparison. People can do what they wish, of course, but I find it disappointing so few choose to start or join a conversation.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I've written about this before here on ALF but also elsewhere. Facebook special interest pages attract many seekers but forum-based websites probably seem old-hat by comparison. People can do what they wish, of course, but I find it disappointing so few choose to start or join a conversation.
Yes, I hear you loud and clear and agree with you, in that people are free to do as they wish. I sometimes think back to the forum-based websites and miss the interesting discussions we had at that time. I know of several people who are becoming disillusioned with Facebook, maybe the trend is about to turn.

mac

Administrator
Yes, I hear you loud and clear and agree with you, in that people are free to do as they wish. I sometimes think back to the forum-based websites and miss the interesting discussions we had at that time. I know of several people who are becoming disillusioned with Facebook, maybe the trend is about to turn.
People naturally enjoy something totally new. Facebook used to be novel but it's not now and young uns use other media. I'm an old fart for whom it never had much attraction and it was only in the last 5 years or so that I registered for an account because there are times when it's very useful.

It's to be hoped that there will still be some serious websites around for those who want to understand more than social media pages offer. You know the slogan "Once they're gone, they're gone." I must have been a regular contributor on a dozen or more spiritual websites, hardly any of which have more than a small handful of contributors and some sites have simply gone to the wall. There's no coming back for them and even the ones still hanging on may fail eventually when their founders give up their former interests or even pass over. Ain't none of us gettin' any younger.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
People naturally enjoy something totally new. Facebook used to be novel but it's not now and young uns use other media. I'm an old fart for whom it never had much attraction and it was only in the last 5 years or so that I registered for an account because there are times when it's very useful.

It's to be hoped that there will still be some serious websites around for those who want to understand more than social media pages offer. You know the slogan "Once they're gone, they're gone." I must have been a regular contributor on a dozen or more spiritual websites, hardly any of which have more than a small handful of contributors and some sites have simply gone to the wall. There's no coming back for them and even the ones still hanging on may fail eventually when their founders give up their former interests or even pass over. Ain't none of us gettin' any younger.
Yes, none of us are getting any younger that's for sure. One of my granddaughters is able to communicate with Spirit and I am doing my utmost to ensure she (when ready) learns mediumship without the fear, nonsense, and rituals that are attached to the majority of its teachings being currently taught. Whether her interest remains as she grows is yet to be seen, however, I am hopeful that she continues to believe in herself and trust Spirit above human beings when it comes to developing and delivering a communication from Spirit.

mac

Administrator
I hope all works out for her when she's matured and done the things she wants to do in life. If it's in her future serving the spirit can follow at the appropriate time.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I hope all works out for her when she's matured and done the things she wants to do in life. If it's in her future serving the spirit can follow at the appropriate time.
Yes, absolutely, 100% agree, Mac. The decision is entirely hers to make whatever she decides to do with her life. Neither I nor any of her family would want her to do something she doesn't want to do. This is why it's important she believes and trusts more in herself than anyone else whether they're in Spirit or in her physical life. Her life is and always will be her responsibility.

jobun

Occasional Contributor
I prefer the forum based websites, and frequent many of them, but like it was said, they are starting to fade away. I don't always know what to write, as I am often misunderstood when I try to make a comment or write a question, so most of the time I'm a lurker. The Paranormal Forum that the original poster wrote about, I've lurked there for many years. I haven't even registered with them, because I don't feel like I can contribute much.
and I'm often gone from the sites for months at a time, due to time issues with work and/or personal life. I have found you mac on many sites even if I don't contribute to them and you are as knowledgeable on every one of them. I appreciate the work you do. I wish I had half the knowledge you possess, and I wish I could find a spiritualist church here in the states. (aside from Salem MA....;) )

Hi Mac,

Glad to see you after so many years. I was away from these forums as I realized it was affecting my thoughts. However, recently I was very ill and these thoughts returned. I've read what happens, but the whole reincarnation thing has me confused. If I have lived many lives before, what has happened to those previous versions of me. Are they simply a record in a book, or they exist in some plane? If I reincarnate again, what happens to me, do I also become a record or do I exist on some plane.

Reincarnation only exists for those who believe there is a past and future. I do not.

mac

Administrator
Reincarnation only exists for those who believe there is a past and future. I do not.
welcome to ALF :)

You'll forgive me, I'm sure, when I respond by saying no matter what you BELIEVE the reality is the way it is and your personal belief can't change that. Nevertheless you may have decided that for you this incarnation - which based on your idea would be your only one - is your first and will be your last. And nobody can force you to change your approach so you'd be right - for you there will/would be no reincarnation.

Or you could be hopelessly wrong and after you've returned to the world of the spirit you'll find that you've had other incarnations, the ones you're not aware of as an incarnate. tricky, huh? ;)

blessings