Has anyone here had what they believe to be a glimpse of the afterlife?

bluebird

Major Contributor
Has anyone here ever actually died for a few minutes (as from an accident), gone to the afterlife and were then revived? Or other circumstances, it's just that the one I've described seems the most likely to me. I don't so much mean NDEs ("near death experiences" in which you didn't actually die, but perhaps had an out-of-body experience or the like), though secondarily I would be interested in hearing about those as well, as long as you state that's what they are. Some people believe that an NDE does not allow one to experience the same things as does actually dying and being brought back -- I don't know whether or not that's true, but in case it is I would like to maintain a delineation between the two types of experiences.

If you believe that you have had such an experience, I would like to hear about it, and would appreciate you sharing it here. I am most interested in knowing whether you saw your deceased loved ones there and if you were able to reunite with and communicate with them. I would also like to know if you interacted with a being you would call god/creator, and what that was like, as well as any general sense of the nature of the afterlife, what we do there, etc. I am also interested in hearing whether your experience of the afterlife was as you expected based on your religion or lack thereof (i.e., if you are Christian did you see Jesus, if you are Hindu did you see Krishna, etc.), or did your experience not line up with your religious/spiritual beliefs or upbringing.

I hope people are willing to share their experiences, as I would very much like to read them. Thanks.

Auras

Has anyone here ever actually died for a few minutes (as from an accident), gone to the afterlife and were then revived? Or other circumstances, it's just that the one I've described seems the most likely to me. I don't so much mean NDEs ("near death experiences" in which you didn't actually die, but perhaps had an out-of-body experience or the like), though secondarily I would be interested in hearing about those as well, as long as you state that's what they are. Some people believe that an NDE does not allow one to experience the same things as does actually dying and being brought back -- I don't know whether or not that's true, but in case it is I would like to maintain a delineation between the two types of experiences.

If you believe that you have had such an experience, I would like to hear about it, and would appreciate you sharing it here. I am most interested in knowing whether you saw your deceased loved ones there and if you were able to reunite with and communicate with them. I would also like to know if you interacted with a being you would call god/creator, and what that was like, as well as any general sense of the nature of the afterlife, what we do there, etc. I am also interested in hearing whether your experience of the afterlife was as you expected based on your religion or lack thereof (i.e., if you are Christian did you see Jesus, if you are Hindu did you see Krishna, etc.), or did your experience not line up with your religious/spiritual beliefs or upbringing.

I hope people are willing to share their experiences, as I would very much like to read them. Thanks.
Hi, bluebird. Thanks for posting this.

While I haven't had one of these experiences, NDERF Home Page is a great resource which has over 4900 experiences logged. While most of them are Near Death Experiences, there are also some spiritual ones which you may find interesting.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Thanks, Auras. I have actually read a lot of the old experiences on that site in the past, but it's been quite a while since I visited it (if it's the site I'm thinking of; if it is, the look of it has changed). Looks like there are a lot of new experiences there, which I would like to read.

ravensgate

Regular Contributor
I am not sure if I shared this is the past; if I did, feel free to delete, mac.
I call the experience a "dream" but I really am not sure it was a dream. I believe I was in a hypnagogic state, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I found myself prone on a hill, head turned to my left. I felt I was slipping and I cried out for help. I immediately felt a hand (or arm) holding me up, and at the same time the hill turned from rocky to a verdant green. It was the most beautiful green I've ever seen. I looked around and realized I was in a valley. There were green hill on each side, beautiful, lush green hills. I then looked to the horizon and it was incredible. It looked like the sun, the light was very, very bright but did not bother my eyes. What struck me was the warmth and love emanating from that light. I felt completely safe, accepted and loved by that light - unconditionally so. But the "best" was yet to come... I looked down, and I saw a river, not very wide; the water was running quite rapidly. The water was incredibly clear but was filled (or should I say "it was carrying/transporting") an incredible number of super bright lights. Compare the lights to the tiniest clear LED lights. I was stunned by the sight, and I remember thinking how the water was clear, how the water was "alive"; the water had life.
This happened several years ago. I tried to make sense of the experience. Was it just a dream? Didn't really feel like it. Was I allowed a glimpse of another realm? Did I "die" and briefly began my journey back Home? I do not know. I do remember that when this "dream" ended I tried so very hard to go back to sleep; I wanted to go back to that place, a place of complete serenity, safety, and love, and acceptance - but I was unable to do so.

P.S. I know I have not posted in ages, but I do visit ALF every few weeks or so. It may not be as active as it used to be, but it's still one of the best, and hats off to mac, who has done a great job and keeps it running smoothly; thanks, mac!

mac

janitor
welcome back to the boards and thank you for your generous thoughts :)

I do wish we had the discussions and debates we used to have on ALF but old members leave the pages and the interests of others appear different. The appeal of dumbed-down Facebook special interest pages, along with YouTube videos and a myriad other online sources of information, have resulted in potential ALF members not even seeing this website, I believe.

Time has showed there's usually no going back to the way things used to be.

onward and upward! ;)

Last edited:

Ruby

Regular Contributor
Thanks ravensgate, your description has much in common with those on the site mentioned above by Auras. It sounds like a spiritual experience of some sort.

Regarding bluebird's query, Kim used to post regularly about her near death experience after an accident she suffered while serving in the marines. I once tried and failed to find her original description of what happened.

Someone said on a Zoom lecture that she had had a spiritual experience which had caused her to completely change her life, and said according to the eastern religions she could now be regarded as having better mental wellbeing, whereas if she declared it here she would be regarded as mentally ill.

Last edited:

mac

janitor
Thanks ravensgate, your description has much in common with those on the site mentioned above by Auras. It sounds like a spiritual experience of some sort.

Regarding bluebird's query, Kim used to post regularly about her near death experience after an accident she suffered whilst serving in the marines. I once tried and failed to find her original description of what happened.

Someone said on a Zoom lecture that she had had a spiritual experience which had caused her to completely change her life, and said according to the eastern religions she could now be regarded as having better mental wellbeing, whereas if she declared it here she would be regarded as mentally ill.
I can think only of kim who has had an NDE and she told us about it on various occasions. I don't think she'll mind my telling you it happened in Wales, UK, where she was stationed when she was in the military. She came off her pedal cycle and her head was badly injured. She was in a coma for some time during which she had the near-death experience that changed her life and her outlook.

Along with most other one-time regulars she's now just an occasional visitor. All her previous questions and conversations should still be accessible by using the 'advanced search' section of the general 'Search' utility whose looking-glass icon can be seen top right.

NDEs, though, are not what bluebird was asking about although in reality the only experiences of life beyond corporeal death come from those experiencing them - by definition. Other experiences, told by those still alive in this world, may have similarities to the 'actual-death-experience' but - again by definition - can be only similarities. I could go on about why but we've walked this path before.

I do, though, totally get that people may believe they died and then 'came back to life'. We could argue the point forever but those who influence my approach have told us repeatedly that death is a one-way journey. It truly is a "When yer dead, yer dead!" situation. When you're dead - when you're body is dead - there's no 'coming back' by your animating spirit to re-animate the body. If that appears to have happened then again by definition it was a near-death experience. To others you may have appeared near to death. You may actually have been close to dying inasmuch as your animating spirit was struggling to keep your body alive because of injury or whatever. But if it eventually did manage to continue animating your body and you later recovered then it was a case of classic near-death-exerience. That's a definition of NDE.

I don't know if I've just coined the expression 'actual-death-experience' (ADE) or if it's being used out there on the world-wide-web. Either way I think it's important to understand that NDE and ADE may seem similar, and in some scenarios may be similar, but they're not similar in every sense. That's got to be doubly tricky for you, bb, because you're not even persuaded that there is life beyond death in the first place. Thinking back I don't remember when the separation of the two became clear in my mind. Maybe similarly to the notion of so-called exit points these companion ADE/NDE notions settled in my psyche long before they became clear? Cloudiness and sediment in some wines clears over time to leave perfect clarity; I think my repeatedly turning over these ideas for a long time has led to eventual clarity of my understanding.

By comparison, I've done something similar with exit points (and other ideas) but it led to my rejecting some of the ways they've been presented and not necessarily their totality.

Last edited:

Ruby

Regular Contributor
You're right. I didn't read bluebird's post carefully enough!
What do you think of cases whereby the person would have died just a few years ago but for advances in medicine and there is no cognition possible under the circumstances and so on? I suppose they are still NDEs though under your definition.
That reminds me that there's a new book out, "Dark Cognition" by David Vernon. The title is thrilling to me!! I might have to buy this one!

mac

janitor
You're right. I didn't read bluebird's post carefully enough!
What do you think of cases whereby the person would have died just a few years ago but for advances in medicine and there is no cognition possible under the circumstances and so on? I suppose they are still NDEs though under your definition.
That reminds me that there's a new book out, "Dark Cognition" by David Vernon. The title is thrilling to me!! I might have to buy this one!
Medicine has evolved and many conditions that used to lead to death are now able to be treated. But a near-death-experience remains just that - if the person didn't die then it wasn't death. ;)

Folk can take or leave the way I see 'near death' but it's not a dictionary definition and I'm in no position to define anything. But if anyone can show me where I'm wrong I'll listen and heed what they say. I've had to do it before when I've been pulled up short over ideas I'd got wrong!

By all means read and enjoy whatever book appeals to you but please, Ruby, remember that no mortal can exactly tell you what the deal is for those who aren't. ;)

bluebird

Major Contributor
I am not sure if I shared this is the past; if I did, feel free to delete, mac.
I call the experience a "dream" but I really am not sure it was a dream. I believe I was in a hypnagogic state, but I could be wrong.
Anyway, I found myself prone on a hill, head turned to my left. I felt I was slipping and I cried out for help. I immediately felt a hand (or arm) holding me up, and at the same time the hill turned from rocky to a verdant green. It was the most beautiful green I've ever seen. I looked around and realized I was in a valley. There were green hill on each side, beautiful, lush green hills. I then looked to the horizon and it was incredible. It looked like the sun, the light was very, very bright but did not bother my eyes. What struck me was the warmth and love emanating from that light. I felt completely safe, accepted and loved by that light - unconditionally so. But the "best" was yet to come... I looked down, and I saw a river, not very wide; the water was running quite rapidly. The water was incredibly clear but was filled (or should I say "it was carrying/transporting") an incredible number of super bright lights. Compare the lights to the tiniest clear LED lights. I was stunned by the sight, and I remember thinking how the water was clear, how the water was "alive"; the water had life.
This happened several years ago. I tried to make sense of the experience. Was it just a dream? Didn't really feel like it. Was I allowed a glimpse of another realm? Did I "die" and briefly began my journey back Home? I do not know. I do remember that when this "dream" ended I tried so very hard to go back to sleep; I wanted to go back to that place, a place of complete serenity, safety, and love, and acceptance - but I was unable to do so.

P.S. I know I have not posted in ages, but I do visit ALF every few weeks or so. It may not be as active as it used to be, but it's still one of the best, and hats off to mac, who has done a great job and keeps it running smoothly; thanks, mac!
Thank you so much for posting your experience, my friend. It's good to see you here.

You know my issues with belief in an afterlife, but I must say that I found your description of your experience very peaceful, and I hope that it is something of what the afterlife is like. Given your gifts, if there is an afterlife then I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to briefly visit it even while your body was still very much alive (certainly I hope that was the case, rather than you starting to die).

Absolutely agree with you about mac!