• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

down! THURSDAY FEB 22 2024

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
Apologies to anyone wondering why they couldn't access the site in the usual way Thursday afternoon / evening. There must have been a glitch but we're up-and-running again, albeit with a few lost postings along the way.

Fingers crossed we're now back on the straight-and-narrow!

Auras

Occasional Contributor
Apologies to anyone wondering why they couldn't access the site in the usual way Thursday afternoon / evening. There must have been a glitch but we're up-and-running again, albeit with a few lost postings along the way.

Fingers crossed we're now back on the straight-and-narrow!
Ah. I thought you manually removed our posts.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I had to do a late-night repair job so I quickly posted the message above before heading for bed.

I had noticed anomalies over a few days but put it down to a flaky phone app because things seemed OK on my Windows 10 PC. Then abruptly yesterday afternoon/evening the ALF site would not load on my computer. There was just a blank white screen but the phone app. was OK. Later that same evening it also stopped loading.

Thankfully restoring the website from a back up got things working again but some postings from over the past couple of days were lost. I'm hoping that's the end of things! lol

Auras

Occasional Contributor
I had to do a late-night repair job so I quickly posted the message above before heading for bed.

I had noticed anomalies over a few days but put it down to a flaky phone app because things seemed OK on my Windows 10 PC. Then abruptly yesterday afternoon/evening the ALF site would not load on my computer. There was just a blank white screen but the phone app. was OK. Later that same evening it also stopped loading.

Thankfully restoring the website from a back up got things working again but some postings from over the past couple of days were lost. I'm hoping that's the end of things! lol
its good that you restored from the most recent backup. I would highly suggest you change it so the site automaticaly backs up the website every 12-24 hours in case it happens again in the future, if it does then the loss won't be as big.

Also, I believe those on Windows 10 get a free upgrade to Windows 11, may be worth looking into.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
The whole website is automatically backed up every 24 hours and manual back-ups can be performed to choice but I ain't gonna be doing those routinely! It's the first time it's been needed.

I don't intend moving to Windows 11 on either of my two eligible computers as there's nothing that would benefit me by so doing. I'll change only if something I would personally find useful is added to W11 or if I'm forced to, something not likely to happen for some years yet if Microsoft's past behaviour is anything to go on.

Windows XP was lovely, Vista was a monster, 8 was OKish, 10 has been OK after the usual teething troubles were sorted and after I installed various freeware such as a desktop choice bypassing the daft tiles desktop system. And, of course, freeware to uninstall the bloatware apps. that Microsoft imposes on us!