• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

developing communication

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I can't address most of what either of you have said here, but I did just want to say this: in my opinion it isn't elitist to say that mediums have a gift, or that they are born with that gift. While I concur that all humans probably do have at least some psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities (without getting into definitions of those terms -- I am referring here to any/all abilities of this sort), I also think it's pretty clear that some people are more gifted in those areas than others.

That's not surprising -- different people have different levels of ability in all sorts of areas, after all. For example, I am gifted in the area of writing, and not at all gifted in the area of mathematics; I can't sing very well, but I excel at spatial relationships and organization....and so forth. When it comes to psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities -- like any other ability or gift that humans have, they have it to varying degrees.
They are interesting comparisons but folk often use the word 'gifted' when they mean someone having exceptional particular skills. But they may not mean the individuals had somehow received those skills as gifts from a third party.

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemingly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

bluebird

Significant Contributor
I didn't say it was elitist to say that mediums have a gift or that they are born and not made. I said, in my opinion, it seems to be a bit of an elitist statement. Then again, it depends on who is saying it and to whom they are speaking. I know some people who became disheartened towards developing mediumship upon hearing these and similar words spoken and almost gave up on the idea of learning. I believe such claims to be misleading and could do more damage than good.
The medium is the instrument that enables Spirits to use their mind to make communication between the two worlds possible. Fully trusting and surrendering themselves to Spirit will create the right conditions to attain a higher degree of accuracy and have seemingly effortless communication.
I liken our achievements in life to be similar to a medium's intent or process to mediumship. If we're good at something, we tend to apply ourselves more. Should we experience signs of struggle or difficulty, we gradually lose interest.

Sorry, but what you're saying here is unclear to me. If you are not saying it is elitist to state that mediums have or are born with a gift, then exactly what is it that you are saying is elitist?

bluebird

Significant Contributor
They are interesting comparisons but folk often use the word 'gifted' when they mean someone having exceptional particular skills. But they may not mean the individuals had somehow received those skills as gifts from a third party.

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemimgly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

I see what you mean about the dual meaning of the word "gifted"; I hadn't been looking at it in that way.

Sorry, but what you're saying here is unclear to me. If you are not saying it is elitist to state that mediums have or are born with a gift, then exactly what is it that you are saying is elitist?
In my opinion, it comes across as a bit of an elitist statement saying that mediums are born with a gift. There lies the difference. I am aware my opinion is not important as to what other people believe or say.

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemingly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

I agree. There's no knowing whether we all have the potential for any spiritual or psychic gifts. It can be no more than an assumption until a large enough sample has provided statistically sound evidence of it.
My remark about earning or not earning gifts, though, was in connection with them often being referred to that way - as in 'gift of the spirit'. Psychic attributes might also be characterised similarly - gifts because nothing had been done to 'earn' them.

Yes I agree - all are assumptions. But I only wrote that it's said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit. I think I wrote "...not my words I hasten to add...." or something similar. I remain open to being persuaded.
Understandably, some people refer to mediums who work mediumistically as having the 'gift of the spirit'. I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift. I imagine it will be a continuous debate throughout eternity with many people agreeing to disagree.

It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special or state they are a natural born medium and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
K, I never thought for one minute that it was you who said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit.
I know you know that whatever l write is never intended to persuade anyone or influence them to change their minds. As with most things in life this usually happens after personal experience.

Understandably, some people refer to mediums who work mediumistically as having the 'gift of the spirit'. I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift. I imagine it will be a continuous debate throughout eternity with many people agreeing to disagree.

It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special or state they are a natural born medium and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
K, I never thought for one minute that it was you who said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit.
I know you know that whatever l write is never intended to persuade anyone or influence them to change their minds. As with most things in life this usually happens after personal experience.

The above should have read the mechanics of mediumship can not be taught. Not solely mediumship.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special.....
I would be unhappy with any such claims.

....or state they are a natural born medium
The term I know is 'natural medium' and it's often used in the sense of individuals who have been aware of spirits around them from their youngest days as children, for example.

......and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
It's uncertain who might be the cause of any such division or separation. The one saying it or the individual annoyed by what was said? ;)

The above should have read the mechanics of mediumship can not be taught. Not solely mediumship.
ooer.... My immediate response is to ask what might be meant by the term "the mechanics of mediumship" compared with just 'mediumship'.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
quote:"It's when some people .......... openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me." And I am concerned when it's implied anyone can learn to become a medium as some self-teach, self-learn courses suggest - especially so if a large charge is made for the course.

Every individual is entitled to her/his opinion and to express that opinion but on the score of learning to become a medium it can ONLY be opinion whichever way one is persuaded. Having said that, in the back of my mind I think I've read something from a spirit teachers/guide (maybe Silver Birch) on this subject. I wish my memory was better!

I'm much more likely to be influenced in my approach by what a teacher has to tell us than I am by any incarnate's ideas. :) Always assuming I can remember it! lol

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift.
I would feel comfortable with a 'natural ability' to differentiate it from a learned ability.

I often use 'attribute' rather than 'ability'. That works for me especially in connection with psychic awareness/sensitivity that I don't see as anyone's ability.

I would be unhappy with any such claims.

The term I know is 'natural medium' and it's often used in the sense of individuals who have been aware of spirits around them from their youngest days as children, for example.

I know both terms, 'natural medium' and 'natural born medium.' Both are interchangeable.

It's uncertain who might be the cause of any such division or separation. The one saying it or the individual annoyed by what was said? ;)

Yes, I agree it could be either individual.

ooer.... My immediate response is to ask what might be meant by the term "the mechanics of mediumship" compared with just 'mediumship'. The mechanics of mediumship refer to the Clair faculties that mediums use to demonstrate evidential mediumship. Developing mediums may be aware of the psychic faculties but not understand how to translate what is being received from a spirit communicator to express it to the intended recipient. The 'not solely mediumship' remark is regarding other aspects of mediumship that some mediums choose to practice. For example, sitting in the power, self-development, the importance of a client, ethics of mediumship, and personal responsibility, to name a few.