developing communication

mac

Administrator
Mediumship facilitates communication between those in the so-called world of the spirit and ourselves in this physical world. Mental mediums allow themselves to be a channel for this communication, the medium acting as a go-between.

That role is unique and medium/teacher Martin Twycross says of it: " Mediumship is neither a gift nor an ability given to a select few. It is a sacred and spiritual act that we can all participate in.

The potential to do mediumship is inherent within all of us. The key to developing it is to devote your time and energy into creating the right conditions to allow it to unfold and blossom."

The time it takes for mediums to reach a reliable working level varies greatly between mediums. Some are called 'natural mediums' and they may not need to improve on how they deliver their services. Others benefit from the help of an experienced medium, often by sitting in mediumship development circles. A small number claim to have learned to become mediums via a self-study course.

Over several years here on ALF we have heard from members claiming mediumship can be learned by most anyone but that's almost impossible to substantiate. Self-learning courses may promise success but we haven't heard from anyone here achieving it.

For most seekers of contact with loved ones however, the services of a medium can be the most reliable way to receive a message..

Skye

Occasional Contributor
Mediumship facilitates communication between those in the so-called world of the spirit and ourselves in this physical world. Mental mediums allow themselves to be a channel for this communication, the medium acting as a go-between.

That role is unique and medium/teacher Martin Twycross says of it: " Mediumship is neither a gift nor an ability given to a select few. It is a sacred and spiritual act that we can all participate in.

The potential to do mediumship is inherent within all of us. The key to developing it is to devote your time and energy into creating the right conditions to allow it to unfold and blossom."

The time it takes for mediums to reach a reliable working level varies greatly between mediums. Some are called 'natural mediums' and they may not need to improve on how they deliver their services. Others benefit from the help of an experienced medium, often by sitting in mediumship development circles. A small number claim to have learned to become mediums via a self-study course.

Over several years here on ALF we have heard from members claiming mediumship can be learned by most anyone but that's almost impossible to substantiate. Self-learning courses may promise success but we haven't heard from anyone here achieving it.

For most seekers of contact with loved ones however, the services of a medium can be the most reliable way to receive a message..
I resonate with some of Martyn's words. I don't accept that mental mediums allow themselves to be a channel for Spirit communication. I believe the term channel is misleading. In my experience, the word channel is more associated with mediums living in the USA and with trance mediumship, not mental mediumship.
As a mental medium, I act as a go-between for Spirit communication. I aim to express their story via the blending process of a 2-way mind-to-mind communication to establish proof of their survival of life after physical death.
In my opinion, the gift of mediumship is the communication received from our departed loved ones during a session of evidential mediumship.
I don't consider myself a natural-born medium as some mediums do. Although I know everyone has the potential to develop mediumship and unfold the necessary skills if they put in the time and effort to study and apply the mechanics of mediumship. My interest in mediumship and awareness of Spirits later in life led me to attend development classes to unfold my potential as a medium. If I can master mediumship, other people can do the same.

mac

Administrator
I resonate with some of Martyn's words. I don't accept that mental mediums allow themselves to be a channel for Spirit communication. I believe the term channel is misleading. In my experience, the word channel is more associated with mediums living in the USA and with trance mediumship, not mental mediumship.
Don't get me going! lol :) I have battled long to try to find individual words that are acceptable to as many as possible which cover the modern usage of them - medium, psychic, channel, channeler, Spiritualism, spiritualism are my regulars. I've failed to find widely-accepted words and meanings consistently and miserably!

I know exactly what mediumship is to me as a Spiritualist but I 'speak' to many - and that often means Brits as well as our much more numerous North American members - who consider psychic awareness as being the same as mediumship. Channelers may be similar to mediums or something very different.

As a mental medium, I act as a go-between for Spirit communication. I aim to express their story via the blending process of a 2-way mind-to-mind communication.....
Which may also be termed 'channelling'. Medium and author Julie Gale said she didn't mind what folk called the communication she had with her guide whose teachings became 'Soul Trek'. She didn't mind whichever it was called, channelling or mediumship.

......to establish proof of their survival of life after physical death.
As a long-time Spiritualist that's exactly what I see as the primary purpose of mediumship. But I also know that others don't see it that way and will argue that I'm wrong.

In my opinion, the gift of mediumship is the communication received from our departed loved ones during a session of evidential mediumship.
I agree but 'gifts of the spirit' is a term frequently, and for a very long time, used (in my experience) in connection with mediumship and healing.

I don't consider myself a natural-born medium as some mediums do. Although I know everyone has the potential to develop mediumship and unfold the necessary skills if they put in the time and effort to study and apply the mechanics of mediumship. My interest in mediumship and awareness of Spirits later in life led me to attend development classes to unfold my potential as a medium.
It could be said we all have the potential but there's absolutely no practical way to prove it.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but there's no knowing if we all have the potential to develop mediumship and there's no way to show it. I'm sure you know the old saying "Mediums are born and not made." I'm not claiming that's the case, though, and there's no way to prove or disprove it. It may be that only those with latent attributes are successful - there's no way to be sure.

I've had many a conversation with individuals claiming mediumship can be learned by self-study etc. I always respond that success in such a way only indicates the potential was there all along, personal attributes ready to emerge and be nurtured.
Might it be that someone with zero attributes of the kind customarily seen in mediumship could study to become a medium? It's impossible to be definitive but my expectation would be that it's unlikely.

If I can master mediumship, other people can do the same.
Some others may indeed do the same but that doesn't mean anyone/everyone necessarily can. ;)

mac

Administrator
What I've found during my years online - when I've come into contact with people in different countries as well as my own - is that there is little consensus about what constitutes mediumship.

My American contacts favour the terms 'psychic medium' and 'spiritual medium'. Some appear to see them as equivalent. One constantly challenges me to say how I define mediumship and medium but I constantly tell him that I don't define those words. I prefer just to say how I understand them based on what I've learned and inevitably that's going to be underpinned by Spiritualist teachings.

I'm confident that the way I see mediumship is the way UK Spiritualism sees it. But I totally get and accept that mediums do not need to have any association or involvement with Spiritualism! I'm not a medium so I look at and listen to those who say they are. One medium I know a little has said how much she disliked her experience of being in a Spiritualist church. She has never sat for development or studied anything to increase her knowledge but says she's a so-called natural medium. Another tells in detail about his mediumship but based on what he says I consider him a psychic.

I think folk will now understand why my approach is similar to that of Spiritualism. Sitting in on an SNU meeting recently it was refreshing to hear others using almost exactly the same words I use. BUT it's only over the past couple of years that I've had anything at all to do with the SNU yet I've viewed mediums and mediumship the way I do for decades. Decades when I would not have anything to do with the SNU!

Skye

Occasional Contributor
Don't get me going! lol :) I have battled long to try to find individual words that are acceptable to as many as possible which cover the modern usage of them - medium, psychic, channel, channeler, Spiritualism, spiritualism are my regulars. I've failed to find widely-accepted words and meanings consistently and miserably!

I know exactly what mediumship is to me as a Spiritualist but I 'speak' to many - and that often means Brits as well as our much more numerous North American members - who consider psychic awareness as being the same as mediumship. Channelers may be similar to mediums or something very different.

Which may also be termed 'channelling'. Medium and author Julie Gale said she didn't mind what folk called the communication she had with her guide whose teachings became 'Soul Trek'. She didn't mind whichever it was called, channelling or mediumship.

As a long-time Spiritualist that's exactly what I see as the primary purpose of mediumship. But I also know that others don't see it that way and will argue that I'm wrong.

I agree but 'gifts of the spirit' is a term frequently, and for a very long time, used (in my experience) in connection with mediumship and healing.

It could be said we all have the potential but there's absolutely no practical way to prove it.

I'm sorry to disagree with you but there's no knowing if we all have the potential to develop mediumship and there's no way to show it. I'm sure you know the old saying "Mediums are born and not made." I'm not claiming that's the case, though, and there's no way to prove or disprove it. It may be that only those with latent attributes are successful - there's no way to be sure.

I've had many a conversation with individuals claiming mediumship can be learned by self-study etc. I always respond that success in such a way only indicates the potential was there all along, personal attributes ready to emerge and be nurtured.

Some others may indeed do the same but that doesn't mean anyone/everyone can. ;)
I doubt there is a definitive word that explains every label that is used to describe the different techniques and/or mechanics of mediumship. In general, I believe there is an understanding of what people are implying when they express a particular word. I've come across the same kind of people who claim they are doing mediumship when it isn't mediumship, in my understanding or experience. It's the harm to clients that concerns me, more than the psychics or the intuitive. I'd always advise people to consider doing some research on a medium they wish to go to for a reading. Saying mediums have been given a gift of the spirit seems to be a bit of an elitist statement to me. We are all born with the same psychic faculties that mediums use, whether one has an interest or desire to serve people in a mediumistic way or not. For many people, there is no recognition of their spiritual nature, so I doubt mediumship will ever cross their minds until their awareness becomes stirred so to speak. So their potential to develop mediumship will likely be zero on the surface. The only way of knowing is for people to try if the interest is present of course. Any self-limiting beliefs a person holds about development will naturally result in failure. Not everyone who chooses to study will complete the course. And, not everyone will become famous. If fame is what people crave then perhaps mediumship is not for them anyway. Some people believe mediumship is difficult to learn when it is easier than they assume. There are many factors that can negatively impact a person's ability for mediumship to unfold naturally whether others believe that mediums are born not made.

Might it be that someone with zero attributes of the kind customarily seen in mediumship could study to become a medium? It's impossible to be definitive but my expectation would be that it's unlikely.

Some others may indeed do the same but that doesn't mean anyone/everyone necessarily can. ;)
I doubt there is a definitive word or collection of words that explains the labels to describe the different techniques and mechanics used in mediumship. I imagine people of different cultures recognise or understand the meanings used anyhow. Although, individual interpretations and teaching methods can be challenging to accept, me included. Understandably, some people consider the blending of minds to be channelling. It's not the terminology I use because channelling means something entirely different to me.
If the purpose of mediumship is not to share love and healing with the bereaved, I'm at a loss as to what people assume is its purpose. I've observed people giving psychic or intuitive messages and believe they are doing mediumship. I've also heard that there is an increase in people requesting psychic readings rather than wanting to hear from their loved ones in spirit. I suppose it's debatable what the reason is.
I don't mind that you disagree with my opinions or beliefs, Mac. I expect there to be a difference of opinion in discussions.
When I hear people say that mediums have gifts of the spirit, it seems to be a bit of an elitist statement to me. And add this to the assumption that "Mediums are born and not made," it can come across as condescending or could suggest an attitude of superiority.
There's a saying that mediumship is not for everybody. Some people give up on their development and move on to other things, so maybe there's a ring of truth to the saying. Some people are unaware of their spiritual side, so the potential for mediumship development may never cross their minds until their inner awareness opens. There are likely many reasons people choose not to study mediumship; it doesn't necessarily suggest the potential isn't present.
We are all born with the same innate psychic faculties used in mediumship, whether one has an interest or desire to be of service to people in a mediumistic way or not. I'm aware no one can prove whether psychic faculties are an individual's potential or not. They could be their latent attributes yet to blossom with guidance, direction and study.
I'm of the mindset that everybody can master mediumship, providing that they are willing to let go of self-limiting beliefs and commit themselves to the process of development and unfolding their potential.

mac

Administrator
I doubt there is a definitive word that explains every label that is used to describe the different techniques and/or mechanics of mediumship.
Oh I have no difficulty finding a word. The difficulty is finding one that a large enough majority can accept. And individuals can be very resentful about being labelled. (see paragraph below)

In general, I believe there is an understanding of what people are implying when they express a particular word.
I've found very much the reverse of what you're suggesting, B...... Medium and mediumship are 'classics' of different interpretation as I mentioned earlier. And some individuals resent being labelled, claiming it restricts what they do. I never accept that for one moment but that's what I've had thrown at me when discussing words.

I've come across the same kind of people who claim they are doing mediumship when it isn't mediumship, in my understanding or experience.
It's often down to interpretation and/or the definition they use.

It's the harm to clients that concerns me, more than the psychics or the intuitive. I'd always advise people to consider doing some research on a medium they wish to go to for a reading.
I agree.

Saying mediums have been given a gift of the spirit seems to be a bit of an elitist statement to me.
Maybe it is sometimes but I think others might simply consider they did nothing to bring about their mediumship or there might have been something there for as long as they remember. They might not have studied or even read about mediumship and never attended development groups. They might consider it a gift because they hadn't done anything to 'earn' it - it was in effect given to them

I doubt there is a definitive word or collection of words that explains the labels to describe the different techniques and mechanics used in mediumship. I imagine people of different cultures recognise or understand the meanings used anyhow. Although, individual interpretations and teaching methods can be challenging to accept, me included. Understandably, some people consider the blending of minds to be channelling. It's not the terminology I use because channelling means something entirely different to me.
Other than techniques, the different modes of mediumship, isn't this what I was saying earlier? People may have different understandings of the words and phrases I use routinely. I often take the precaution of declaring I'm a Brit and a Spiritualist because here and elsewhere there are many North Americans and they see things very differently from me. It's rare for them to do say something similar about themselves though.... ;)

If the purpose of mediumship is not to share love and healing with the bereaved, I'm at a loss as to what people assume is its purpose. I've observed people giving psychic or intuitive messages and believe they are doing mediumship. I've also heard that there is an increase in people requesting psychic readings rather than wanting to hear from their loved ones in spirit. I suppose it's debatable what the reason is.
I see this all the time. It doesn't mean they're wrong and we're right of course. People are perfectly entitled to seek out and expect whatever they wish.
I don't mind that you disagree with my opinions or beliefs, Mac. I expect there to be a difference of opinion in discussions.
good :)
When I hear people say that mediums have gifts of the spirit, it seems to be a bit of an elitist statement to me. And add this to the assumption that "Mediums are born and not made," it can come across as condescending or could suggest an attitude of superiority.
I've never experienced it that way, B.

There's a saying that mediumship is not for everybody. Some people give up on their development and move on to other things, so maybe there's a ring of truth to the saying.
I can see that....

Some people are unaware of their spiritual side, so the potential for mediumship development may never cross their minds until their inner awareness opens.
understandably

There are likely many reasons people choose not to study mediumship; it doesn't necessarily suggest the potential isn't present.
Of course not but it's just an assumption that it's there without some indication of it......

We are all born with the same innate psychic faculties used in mediumship,.....
Sorry, B, but without evidence that can only ever be an assumption.

.....whether one has an interest or desire to be of service to people in a mediumistic way or not. I'm aware no one can prove whether psychic faculties are an individual's potential or not. They could be their latent attributes yet to blossom with guidance, direction and study.
Born and not made, it's often said. Not my words I hasten to add but they 'appeal to my reason'. :)
I'm of the mindset that everybody can master mediumship, providing that they are willing to let go of self-limiting beliefs and commit themselves to the process of development and unfolding their potential.
My approach is that those who already have the potential - latent attributes - can develop their potential, make the most of their attributes and reach a certain level of achievement. For some it will mean more time, more effort, more dedication than it will for others but even having done all that success still can not be assumed. Some will achieve much by doing comparatively little, others will achieve much less despite giving their all.

Thanks for the exchange of ideas. :)

bluebird

Major Contributor
I can't address most of what either of you have said here, but I did just want to say this: in my opinion it isn't elitist to say that mediums have a gift, or that they are born with that gift. While I concur that all humans probably do have at least some psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities (without getting into definitions of those terms -- I am referring here to any/all abilities of this sort), I also think it's pretty clear that some people are more gifted in those areas than others.

That's not surprising -- different people have different levels of ability in all sorts of areas, after all. For example, I am gifted in the area of writing, and not at all gifted in the area of mathematics; I can't sing very well, but I excel at spatial relationships and organization....and so forth. When it comes to psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities -- like any other ability or gift that humans have, they have it to varying degrees.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
Oh I have no difficulty finding a word. The difficulty is finding one that a large enough majority can accept. And individuals can be very resentful about being labelled. (see paragraph below)

I've found very much the reverse of what you're suggesting, B...... Medium and mediumship are 'classics' of different interpretation as I mentioned earlier. And some individuals resent being labelled, claiming it restricts what they do. I never accept that for one moment but that's what I've had thrown at me when discussing words.

I agree.

Maybe it is sometimes but I think others might simply consider they did nothing to bring about their mediumship or there might have been something there for as long as they remember. They might not have studied or even read about mediumship and never attended development groups. They might consider it a gift because they hadn't done anything to 'earn' it - it was in effect given to them

Other than techniques, the different modes of mediumship, isn't this what I was saying earlier? People may have different understandings of the words and phrases I use routinely. I often take the precaution of declaring I'm a Brit and a Spiritualist because here and elsewhere there are many North Americans and they see things very differently from me. It's rare for them to do say something similar about themselves though.... ;)

I see this all the time. It doesn't mean they're wrong and we're right of course. People are perfectly entitled to seek out and expect whatever they wish.

I can see that....

understandably

Of course not but it's just an assumption that it's there without some indication of it......

Born and not made, it's often said. Not my words I hasten to add but they 'appeal to my reason'. :)
My approach is that those who already have the potential - latent attributes - can develop their potential, make the most of their attributes and reach a certain level of achievement. For some it will mean more time, more effort, more dedication than it will for others but even having done all that success still can not be assumed. Some will achieve much by doing comparatively little, others will achieve much less despite giving their all.

I agree.

I can see that....

understandably

I'm responding to your response regarding my comment.
Sorry, B, but without evidence that can only ever be an assumption

I agree, K, yet the same can be said about the psychic faculties, in that people do nothing to earn them. Perhaps they are part and parcel of being a Spiritual being rather than a human being.
I consider my comment to be no more or no less an assumption than people saying or believing that mediums are born and not made, and mediums have gifts of the spirit.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I can't address most of what either of you have said here, but I did just want to say this: in my opinion it isn't elitist to say that mediums have a gift, or that they are born with that gift. While I concur that all humans probably do have at least some psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities (without getting into definitions of those terms -- I am referring here to any/all abilities of this sort), I also think it's pretty clear that some people are more gifted in those areas than others.

That's not surprising -- different people have different levels of ability in all sorts of areas, after all. For example, I am gifted in the area of writing, and not at all gifted in the area of mathematics; I can't sing very well, but I excel at spatial relationships and organization....and so forth. When it comes to psychic/mediumistic/spiritual abilities -- like any other ability or gift that humans have, they have it to varying degrees.

I didn't say it was elitist to say that mediums have a gift or that they are born and not made. I said, in my opinion, it seems to be a bit of an elitist statement. Then again, it depends on who is saying it and to whom they are speaking. I know some people who became disheartened towards developing mediumship upon hearing these and similar words spoken and almost gave up on the idea of learning. I believe such claims to be misleading and could do more damage than good.
The medium is the instrument that enables Spirits to use their mind to make communication between the two worlds possible. Fully trusting and surrendering themselves to Spirit will create the right conditions to attain a higher degree of accuracy and have seemingly effortless communication.
I liken our achievements in life to be similar to a medium's intent or process to mediumship. If we're good at something, we tend to apply ourselves more. Should we experience signs of struggle or difficulty, we gradually lose interest.

mac

Administrator
I'm responding to your response regarding my comment.
Sorry, B, but without evidence that can only ever be an assumption.....

I agree, K, yet the same can be said about the psychic faculties, in that people do nothing to earn them. Perhaps they are part and parcel of being a Spiritual being rather than a human being.
I agree. There's no knowing whether we all have the potential for any spiritual or psychic gifts. It can be no more than an assumption until a large enough sample has provided statistically sound evidence of it.
My remark about earning or not earning gifts, though, was in connection with them often being referred to that way - as in 'gift of the spirit'. Psychic attributes might also be characterised similarly - gifts because nothing had been done to 'earn' them.

I consider my comment to be no more or no less an assumption than people saying or believing that mediums are born and not made, and mediums have gifts of the spirit.
Yes I agree - all are assumptions. But I only wrote that it's said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit. I think I wrote "...not my words I hasten to add...." or something similar. I remain open to being persuaded.

mac

Administrator

They are interesting comparisons but folk often use the word 'gifted' when they mean someone having exceptional particular skills. But they may not mean the individuals had somehow received those skills as gifts from a third party.

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemingly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

bluebird

Major Contributor
I didn't say it was elitist to say that mediums have a gift or that they are born and not made. I said, in my opinion, it seems to be a bit of an elitist statement. Then again, it depends on who is saying it and to whom they are speaking. I know some people who became disheartened towards developing mediumship upon hearing these and similar words spoken and almost gave up on the idea of learning. I believe such claims to be misleading and could do more damage than good.
The medium is the instrument that enables Spirits to use their mind to make communication between the two worlds possible. Fully trusting and surrendering themselves to Spirit will create the right conditions to attain a higher degree of accuracy and have seemingly effortless communication.
I liken our achievements in life to be similar to a medium's intent or process to mediumship. If we're good at something, we tend to apply ourselves more. Should we experience signs of struggle or difficulty, we gradually lose interest.

Sorry, but what you're saying here is unclear to me. If you are not saying it is elitist to state that mediums have or are born with a gift, then exactly what is it that you are saying is elitist?

bluebird

Major Contributor
They are interesting comparisons but folk often use the word 'gifted' when they mean someone having exceptional particular skills. But they may not mean the individuals had somehow received those skills as gifts from a third party.

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemimgly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

I see what you mean about the dual meaning of the word "gifted"; I hadn't been looking at it in that way.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
Sorry, but what you're saying here is unclear to me. If you are not saying it is elitist to state that mediums have or are born with a gift, then exactly what is it that you are saying is elitist?
In my opinion, it comes across as a bit of an elitist statement saying that mediums are born with a gift. There lies the difference. I am aware my opinion is not important as to what other people believe or say.

Skye

Occasional Contributor

As for us all having psychic or spiritual attributes it may well be the case but seemingly very few develop into mediums the way I understand mediums. I think it's highly probable that for many more individuals their psychic/spiritual 'abilities' become increasingly evident until they reach a plateau of sensitivity. That plateau is lower than the one we'd recognise as their having become mediums, typically evidential mediums. (spiritual mediums for those in North America)

I agree. There's no knowing whether we all have the potential for any spiritual or psychic gifts. It can be no more than an assumption until a large enough sample has provided statistically sound evidence of it.
My remark about earning or not earning gifts, though, was in connection with them often being referred to that way - as in 'gift of the spirit'. Psychic attributes might also be characterised similarly - gifts because nothing had been done to 'earn' them.

Yes I agree - all are assumptions. But I only wrote that it's said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit. I think I wrote "...not my words I hasten to add...." or something similar. I remain open to being persuaded.
Understandably, some people refer to mediums who work mediumistically as having the 'gift of the spirit'. I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift. I imagine it will be a continuous debate throughout eternity with many people agreeing to disagree.

It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special or state they are a natural born medium and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
K, I never thought for one minute that it was you who said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit.
I know you know that whatever l write is never intended to persuade anyone or influence them to change their minds. As with most things in life this usually happens after personal experience.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
Understandably, some people refer to mediums who work mediumistically as having the 'gift of the spirit'. I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift. I imagine it will be a continuous debate throughout eternity with many people agreeing to disagree.

It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special or state they are a natural born medium and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
K, I never thought for one minute that it was you who said mediums are born and not made and it's often said that certain attributes are gifts of the spirit.
I know you know that whatever l write is never intended to persuade anyone or influence them to change their minds. As with most things in life this usually happens after personal experience.

The above should have read the mechanics of mediumship can not be taught. Not solely mediumship.

mac

Administrator
It's when some people say they have been chosen, and those who consider themselves to be special.....
I would be unhappy with any such claims.

....or state they are a natural born medium
The term I know is 'natural medium' and it's often used in the sense of individuals who have been aware of spirits around them from their youngest days as children, for example.

......and openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me.
It's uncertain who might be the cause of any such division or separation. The one saying it or the individual annoyed by what was said? ;)

The above should have read the mechanics of mediumship can not be taught. Not solely mediumship.
ooer.... My immediate response is to ask what might be meant by the term "the mechanics of mediumship" compared with just 'mediumship'.

mac

Administrator
quote:"It's when some people .......... openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me." And I am concerned when it's implied anyone can learn to become a medium as some self-teach, self-learn courses suggest - especially so if a large charge is made for the course.

Every individual is entitled to her/his opinion and to express that opinion but on the score of learning to become a medium it can ONLY be opinion whichever way one is persuaded. Having said that, in the back of my mind I think I've read something from a spirit teachers/guide (maybe Silver Birch) on this subject. I wish my memory was better!

I'm much more likely to be influenced in my approach by what a teacher has to tell us than I am by any incarnate's ideas. :) Always assuming I can remember it! lol

mac

Administrator
I also know some people who refer to it as being an ability rather than a gift.
I would feel comfortable with a 'natural ability' to differentiate it from a learned ability.

I often use 'attribute' rather than 'ability'. That works for me especially in connection with psychic awareness/sensitivity that I don't see as anyone's ability.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I would be unhappy with any such claims.

The term I know is 'natural medium' and it's often used in the sense of individuals who have been aware of spirits around them from their youngest days as children, for example.

I know both terms, 'natural medium' and 'natural born medium.' Both are interchangeable.

It's uncertain who might be the cause of any such division or separation. The one saying it or the individual annoyed by what was said? ;)

Yes, I agree it could be either individual.

ooer.... My immediate response is to ask what might be meant by the term "the mechanics of mediumship" compared with just 'mediumship'. The mechanics of mediumship refer to the Clair faculties that mediums use to demonstrate evidential mediumship. Developing mediums may be aware of the psychic faculties but not understand how to translate what is being received from a spirit communicator to express it to the intended recipient. The 'not solely mediumship' remark is regarding other aspects of mediumship that some mediums choose to practice. For example, sitting in the power, self-development, the importance of a client, ethics of mediumship, and personal responsibility, to name a few.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
quote:"It's when some people .......... openly say mediumship cannot be taught that creates division or separation that concerns me." And I am concerned when it's implied anyone can learn to become a medium as some self-teach, self-learn courses suggest - especially so if a large charge is made for the course.
I am concerned about beginner mediums developing alone. I am aware bad habits, insensitivity and all manners of errors can happen with mediums who teach themselves or do courses with no experienced medium present. When it comes to money exchanging hands, whether a small or large amount of money, the developing medium has to be responsible and do their research before handing money over. It may seem harsh to hear, but the charge is an offer, and much like in any business, no one is forced to accept that offer. Sadly, not all mediums are ethically responsible to their clients. We can not excuse people from their own actions.

Every individual is entitled to her/his opinion and to express that opinion but on the score of learning to become a medium it can ONLY be opinion whichever way one is persuaded. Having said that, in the back of my mind I think I've read something from a spirit teachers/guide (maybe Silver Birch) on this subject. I wish my memory was better!

I'm much more likely to be influenced in my approach by what a teacher has to tell us than I am by any incarnate's ideas. :) Always assuming I can remember it! lol
Once again, I agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free to express that opinion. Whether a person hears "you can never become a medium" or "you can learn how to become a medium" is someone's opinion. And while not everyone who chooses to develop mediumship will go on to demonstrate mediumship professionally, in terms of their spiritual progression, their experiences may be life-changing.

Skye

Occasional Contributor
I would feel comfortable with a 'natural ability' to differentiate it from a learned ability.

I often use 'attribute' rather than 'ability'. That works for me especially in connection with psychic awareness/sensitivity that I don't see as anyone's ability.
The ability is a natural ability. Psychic ability or psychic attributes is also known as intuition. Mediums learn how to unlock this natural ability by applying the mechanics of mediumship to deliver meaningful communications from spirit.

mac

Administrator
The ability is a natural ability. Psychic ability or psychic attributes is also known as intuition. Mediums learn how to unlock this natural ability by applying the mechanics of mediumship to deliver meaningful communications from spirit.
The more additional words are used the more we need to explain what they mean to us individually. It's a perennial issue in matters of the spirit I find.

mac

Administrator
I am concerned about beginner mediums developing alone. I am aware bad habits, insensitivity and all manners of errors can happen with mediums who teach themselves or do courses with no experienced medium present. When it comes to money exchanging hands, whether a small or large amount of money, the developing medium has to be responsible and do their research before handing money over. It may seem harsh to hear, but the charge is an offer, and much like in any business, no one is forced to accept that offer. Sadly, not all mediums are ethically responsible to their clients. We can not excuse people from their own actions.
QUOTE;

Once again, I agree. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and free to express that opinion. Whether a person hears "you can never become a medium" or "you can learn how to become a medium" is someone's opinion. And while not everyone who chooses to develop mediumship will go on to demonstrate mediumship professionally, in terms of their spiritual progression, their experiences may be life-changing.

mac

Administrator
The way mediums offer their services, any charge they make etc. are always contentious issues it seems. I guess we each have our pet dislikes and sometimes it's hard to reconcile different views.