Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

mac

janitor
Lets hope science doesn't take as long as AIDS to find something... We should keep our distance and gel our hands as a precaution of coarse while we learn our new way of life here worldwide...

Here are some links to look at everyone, then we should make our own minds up how to personally deal with our own health. Nothing wrong with my theory Stay Strong while we deal with this 'and' other cold/flu bugs.

Your Cells Are Listening - Dr. Kim D'Eramo

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/you...are-listening/

https://phys.org/news/2011-11-cells.html

To repeat myself, I'm glad your health is so good. If others are minded to try techniques similar to yours then may also enjoy rude health. But it's unproven - as you say yourself Stay Strong is a theory.

I'm glad you endorse the basic precautions about spreading Covid 19 and other infections, bacterial and viral alike.

I agree with your hope that science doesn't take as long as it took for treatment for HIV to be found. There's still no vaccine protection against it, of course, even now.....

Your links will provide reading for anyone wishing to research this topic. :)

one-light

It has to be peoples choice, its an option to stay positive - we know it effects some people less, the stronger ones hardly know they have had it.. I suggest people don't take any 'risks' but try to Stay Strong in mind for a stronger immune system.

Over the last 3 weeks I been giving 250 of my Stay Strong posters out to my local shops, garages, businesses, pubs etc - they love them and put them on show to put up some sort of a fight in this war we're in - response has been brilliant, chemists love them as well, as they have been overwhelmed with all that's been going on... i'll see what others have to say on here over coming days, and possibly continue this conversation... I'm retired, so I do this for free, giving something back after my years in the fast lane of life - like I said before its up to individuals - this cells communication works for me, no proof it works for others, but nothing wrong in staying positive anyway...

Last edited:

mac

janitor
It has to be peoples choice, its an option to stay positive - we know it effects some people less, the stronger ones hardly know they have had it.. I suggest people don't take any 'risks' but try to Stay Strong in mind for a stronger immune system.

As I understand the science it's not known why it doesn't affect some people as much as it affects others. It's been observed that it happens but the mechanisms aren't understood. The description 'stronger ones' isn't a medical term and means nothing.

I concur that staying strong in one's mind may improve one's immune system but it's unproven. Yes it's for individuals to choose but choice based on data is my preference. There are known risk factors based on observations and evidence.

None of this negatively impacts anyone's choice to be positive, of course, but positivity alone may not be enough protection. In my view it's better to consider all the information available before deviating from recommendations based on present-day science .

one-light

Ok we see what other have to say and if to continue with this idea of being positive at least, made my point - people can ignore any comments made by me 'free will' their choice...

mac

janitor
Ok we see what other have to say and if to continue with this idea of being positive at least, made my point - people can ignore any comments made by me 'free will' their choice...
As with all threads members may choose to join in with any running conversation. It's my experience folk ignore what doesn't interest them. Whether members will want to join with us here and now we'll indeed see but in the past - and somewhat surprising to me - there have been few interested in sharing what they feel and/or what's happening in their neck of the woods.

Many members are in the USA and with so many states adopting their own approaches to lock-down and easing restrictions I was expecting to hear how it's affected individuals in their everyday lives. It's been a big surprise to me that so few have contributed because the pandemic is likely to have affected all our members to a lesser or greater degree.

Perhaps they'll be persuaded by your ideas to comment on the pandemic and Covid 19. We'll see.....

mac

janitor
I've been following to a small degree what's going on in the various states and wondering how folk in the US are coping with being out of work. AZ (my 'home state') was experiencing a major uptick in infections when I last looked and that has personal implications for me. Elsewhere I expect it will be a mixed picture - the US is a large place and significant variations in the impact are likely.

Here in the UK there's been considerable financial support for businesses and workers just as there has in the US but that's being reduced this month and a consequentially large numbers of job losses are expected. Many jobs have already gone and are unlikely ever to return - things have changed and there's probably no going back.

It's a changing and unfamiliar landscape with no indication how it will look this time next year. My view is that there will be more nasty changes than most of us anticipate.

one-light

I agree with that - there will be new shoots as well, so there will be gainers maybe young ones, after we come out of this over coming/months/years after all the destruction business wise...

I am going to write more soon, next few days on how I use my theory to fight viruses in hips and knees, can be painful those I had one in my hip several years ago, pushed me on with research - and all the cold/flu bugs getting on the bandwagon soon, i'm going write about those as well, so we try to be prepared..

mac

janitor
I agree with that - there will be new shoots as well, so there will be gainers maybe young ones, after we come out of this over coming/months/years after all the destruction business wise...

I am going to write more soon, next few days on how I use my theory to fight viruses in hips and knees, can be painful those I had one in my hip several years ago, pushed me on with research - and all the cold/flu bugs getting on the bandwagon soon, i'm going write about those as well, so we try to be prepared..
When you do write your piece(s) please post it/them in the Off Topic section as there isn't presently a healing/health forum and this thread is intended for the current Covid 19 and pandemic considerations.

mac

janitor
What's emerging now is an apparent reluctance to be vaccinated if a vaccine is ever developed. Many scientists say the only way there will be a return to a level of normality is if an effective vaccine is developed and if enough people are then vaccinated. But high numbers are saying they won't get vaccinated and if there's not enough then those who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons won't be protected.

At the same time we're hearing in the UK that the "world-beating" test, track and trace scheme we were promised by our leader doesn't work and doesn't look likely to work well enough without considerable tinkering and likely additional cost.

Is there any wonder political leaders aren't trusted?

bluebird

Major Contributor
What's emerging now is an apparent reluctance to be vaccinated if a vaccine is ever developed. Many scientists say the only way there will be a return to a level of normality is if an effective vaccine is developed and if enough people are then vaccinated. But high numbers are saying they won't get vaccinated and if there's not enough then those who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons won't be protected.

At the same time we're hearing in the UK that the "world-beating" test, track and trace scheme we were promised by our leader doesn't work and doesn't look likely to work well enough without considerable tinkering and likely additional cost.

Is there any wonder political leaders aren't trusted?

People are stupid. Not all people, but enough to make this deadly. In the U.S., in particular, certain portions of society try to keep the people uneducated or under-educated, so that they fall for the anti-science bull, and some of those people become the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, etc.

Vaccines are, thankfully, showing promise against Covid-19. It will take work, the first vaccines won't be perfect, and scientists will have to be wary and careful of side effects, but eventually they will probably have safe vaccines. If some people choose not to get them, they are largely self-selecting for illness and death.

mac

janitor
People are stupid. Not all people, but enough to make this deadly. In the U.S., in particular, certain portions of society try to keep the people uneducated or under-educated, so that they fall for the anti-science bull, and some of those people become the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, etc.

Vaccines are, thankfully, showing promise against Covid-19. It will take work, the first vaccines won't be perfect, and scientists will have to be wary and careful of side effects, but eventually they will probably have safe vaccines. If some people choose not to get them, they are largely self-selecting for illness and death.

Oh indeed - some are pretty dumb! The anti-vaxxers may not be, though, but may simply be hopelessly misguided. Perhaps not a big difference between one and the other! :D

I do hope effective vaccines will emerge and I feel very sorry for those whose health or other reasons leave them unable to be vaccinated. Those who choose not to be vaccinated have only themselves to blame if they become sick and I'd leave it to them except that they may spread the disease to those unable to be vaccinated. I find that aspect deplorable.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Oh indeed - some are pretty dumb! The anti-vaxxers may not be, though, but may simply be hopelessly misguided. Perhaps not a big difference between one and the other! :D

I do hope effective vaccines will emerge and I feel very sorry for those whose health or other reasons leave them unable to be vaccinated. Those who choose not to be vaccinated have only themselves to blame if they become sick and I'd leave it to them except that they may spread the disease to those unable to be vaccinated. I find that aspect deplorable.
Agreed, completely.

mac

janitor
This thread is turning into a sometime-diary but in the UK we've had three new countries - including Belgium just across the way from us - added to a list whereby travelers from those countries have to enter a two week isolation when they return to the UK. That's because of increasing infection rates in those countries.

Mainland Spain along with its Balearic and Canary islands were recently added to the list causing great dilemmas for would-be holidaymakers but also for those already on vacation in those locations. Spain and its islands are massively important vacation destinations for us Brits and for European citizens also.

Why the dilemmas? Well those intending taking a vacation will have to isolate for a fortnight on their return and most/many can not afford to be away from their work and/or fear being sacked if they do stay away. A week's holiday could become three weeks off work with the need to return to grocery shopping etc. similar to the way it was at the beginning of the lock down. It's the same for those already on holiday. Add to that the difficulty of getting travel insurance to cover these situations, an important aspect on our side of the pond.

Just imagine the reaction if US vacationers were to face similar requirements to self-isolate when they'd been on vacation to a state where infections rates were higher than in their home state. On a totally different tack Canuck friends told us recently that American travelers had been crossing their closed borders purportedly to travel onward to Alaska but then had been discovered vacationing - fishing! - in BC.

In this world there will always be those who cheat and ignore the rules intended to protect all of us - politicians and regular citizens alike. :(

one-light

I haven't had the flu jab since 2014 when I was sure it made me unwell - a year later when my wife had the jab again we were discussing - and the lady said they've improved on it this year some people were ill with the last jab - so ive not had it since - so I can understand they're taking time to be careful checking for side effects...

mac

janitor
There's a difference between being careful about unwanted effects and the anti-vaxxer group who are against vaccines generally, sometimes for arguably questionable reasons.

Where large numbers report illness or reactions to mass vaccinations it's reasonable to conclude that a particular vaccination caused them. It's understandable when one has had an unpleasant reaction to a vaccination one would feel uncertain about having another.

The overall picture has to be assessed on a personal level but we all need to remember influenza can make you very ill and is more a risk the older you are and more a risk if you have underlying health issues - as many old folk do have. Lots of folk say they've had 'flu when the reality is they've had a bad cold - and a bad cold is often bad but it's not 'flu.

Perhaps this winter we'll get a better picture about influenza if the new tests developed alongside the Covid 19 tests are used widescale.

bluebird

Major Contributor
This thread is turning into a sometime-diary but in the UK we've had three new countries - including Belgium just across the way from us - added to a list whereby travelers from those countries have to enter a two week isolation when they return to the UK. That's because of increasing infection rates in those countries.

Mainland Spain along with its Balearic and Canary islands were recently added to the list causing great dilemmas for would-be holidaymakers but also for those already on vacation in those locations. Spain and its islands are massively important vacation destinations for us Brits and for European citizens also.

Why the dilemmas? Well those intending taking a vacation will have to isolate for a fortnight on their return and most/many can not afford to be away from their work and/or fear being sacked if they do stay away. A week's holiday could become three weeks off work with the need to return to grocery shopping etc. similar to the way it was at the beginning of the lock down. It's the same for those already on holiday. Add to that the difficulty of getting travel insurance to cover these situations, an important aspect on our side of the pond.

Just imagine the reaction if US vacationers were to face similar requirements to self-isolate when they'd been on vacation to a state where infections rates were higher than in their home state. On a totally different tack Canuck friends told us recently that American travelers had been crossing their closed borders purportedly to travel onward to Alaska but then had been discovered vacationing - fishing! - in BC.

In this world there will always be those who cheat and ignore the rules intended to protect all of us - politicians and regular citizens alike. :(
Everyone just needs to stay the hell home -- no holidays/vacations. That's the only way.

bluebird

Major Contributor
There's a difference between being careful about unwanted effects and the anti-vaxxer group who are against vaccines generally, sometimes for arguably questionable reasons.

Exactly. Take the time to test the vaccines to make sure they're safe, before implementing them -- though do it as quickly as is safe, since so many are dying so quickly. That makes sense.

But the anti-vaxxers? They're just idiots.

mac

janitor
Everyone just needs to stay the hell home -- no holidays/vacations. That's the only way.

Avoiding vacations would certainly avoid having to isolate because of the reasons I mentioned but wouldn't avoid isolation after exposure to other infection routes. :)

mac

janitor
I've been noticing recently a new form of kerbside and countryside trash - discarded disposable face masks. Just to add to the disgraceful levels of trash already around.:( It can make you despair at the behavior of some individuals.....

bluebird

Major Contributor
True, about there still being other routes of infection, but ceasing vacation travel would certainly help. So would every person wearing a mask every time they leave the house (unless they will be in a wide open space alone or with the people they already live with), on top of social distancing, hand washing, etc. But everyone needs to abide by these guidelines.

I have noticed a few discarded masks and gloves, as well, mostly in the grocery store parking lot -- but in that respect people in my area seem to mostly be throwing away their masks and gloves in the trashcans the store has placed by the cart corrals. I know it is quite a problem in some areas, though. Aside from just throwing trash on the ground, not caring for how that affects the environment and the animals which live in it, the idiots discarding worn masks and gloves on the ground are also increasing other peoples' exposure to Covid-19, by providing/creating a possible additional disease vector.

I swear, the longer I live, the more I lose faith in humanity. There are many, many good people in the world, but there are also many evil, cruel, uncaring people, and right now almost half of the U.S. falls into that latter group.

Ruby

Regular Contributor
We mustn't despair. The system is not broken. Speaking generally, so many people have been lifted out of poverty in the last thirty years, it's quite astonishing to reflect on the figures. There seem to be a lot of very difficult problems to be overcome though. I'm not sure what I think about Michelle Obama saying she's depressed about the state of things. Does it help?
On the rubbish problem, when I go to see my mother in her care home we meet in the garden two metres apart and I get a sleeveless plastic apron tied round me, then discarded. No-one thinks it serves any purpose other than making enormous piles of waste, but the staff just have to do it.

mac

janitor
We mustn't despair. The system is not broken. Speaking generally, so many people have been lifted out of poverty in the last thirty years, it's quite astonishing to reflect on the figures. There seem to be a lot of very difficult problems to be overcome though. I'm not sure what I think about Michelle Obama saying she's depressed about the state of things. Does it help?

Does it have to be of help before anyone can say they're depressed about something?

On the rubbish problem, when I go to see my mother in her care home we meet in the garden two metres apart and I get a sleeveless plastic apron tied round me, then discarded. No-one thinks it serves any purpose other than making enormous piles of waste, but the staff just have to do it.

In the fullness of time I'm expecting we'll find that some things were pointless and others should have been done or done more rigourously...... That's often the way in life - too much of one, too little of another. I was under the impression that face coverings/masks were of most value in protecting others from one's germs and that they provided little benefit to the wearer. Yet we've been lectured about how to remove them to avoid getting contaminated when really and truly it was front-liners facing numerous, severely-sick patients who needed to do all that - and also to wear a visor.

Not so long ago we were afraid of the virus surviving on parcels, food packaging etc. but now it's rarely mentioned. Gloves were recommended early on but now they're discouraged.

Social distancing was recommended 2 metre / 6 feet yet there's limited scientific evidence for that figure and the wearing of face masks was - as best I recall - supposed to allow 1 metre / 3 feet distancing. Yet folk are still being expected to maintain the old separation. I

n the brief company of a spreader - less than 15 minutes at 6 feet - there was supposed to be a marginal risk but folk go out of their way to avoid you as you pass by them for a few seconds on the pavement / sidewalk.

One fine day I hope we'll be able to look back and say what a crock a lot of this was but that's still in the future and between then and now there's a lot of learning still to be done and many more folk will become ill and it's very likely many will die.

mac

janitor
It's Britain, it's summer and rather unusually it's hot and sunny. In any ordinary summer folk go barmy and flock to the seaside. Queuing to reach the resort, looking for somewhere to park the car then making camp on the beach with thousands of others is what happens routinely. Trouble is it's still happening in the middle of a pandemic when town councils are begging folk to stay away and the government is still expecting social distancing, neither of which is being heeded.

We can only hope that all those myopic, deaf, brain-dead day trippers DON'T become infected and take new companions - Covid 19 virus particles - back home with them, perhaps eventually spiking new infections, local lock-down and inevitable deaths for some.

bluebird

Major Contributor
While masks are helpful primarily in terms of preventing the wearer from infecting others, should s/he have coronavirus, they do also offer some protection to the wearer. Masks are, after all, a barrier to particles, and barriers work for those on both sides, though perhaps one more than the other. Like condoms, which for a straight couple not only prevent the woman from getting pregnant, but also protect both the woman and the man from transmitting (most) sexually transmitted diseases to each other.

It may be that we will later find that some protocols were a bit too strict, but I doubt it. Regardless, I personally put on a mask before I leave the house, and don't take it off again until I'm back in my house -- the only exceptions are when I take out the trash (which involves walking twenty feet round to the side of my house, where the bins are located, and when no people are anywhere in sight), and on the few rare occasions when I've gone to my sister's house and eaten some food, in which case we are outside and around 10 feet (about 3.5 meters) from each other. Then my mask goes right back on, even though we maintain the distance.

When I go to work (one day per week in the actual office), I put on a mask and gloves before getting out of my car, and don't take them off until just before I get in my car (I throw them out in a trash can in the parking lot). This means I don't eat all day, until I get home, but it's better than catching Covid.

When I do the grocery shopping, mask and gloves go on before I leave the car, and don't come off until just before I get in the car (I throw them out in the bin in the grocery store parking lot).

Actually, most of the time I don't take my mask off until I'm back in my house, even coming back from work or the store.

On top of which, I very rarely leave my house unless absolutely necessary (work, food shopping, doctor appointments). I truly don't understand why people don't get that they CANNOT resume their normal lives while this virus is still raging. They need to stay in as much as possible, and wear their masks 100% of the time when they go out and are anywhere other than a wide-open space either alone or with people they live with. Otherwise, we are doomed.

Last edited: