• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

bluebird

Significant Contributor
There are more cases now because of people not getting vaccinated, which allows variants to arise and flourish -- and also just because Covid-19 is highly contagious and virulent, which is why we are now in the midst of a pandemic.

Yes, there is a small chance of a blood clot if you get the vaccinations, but there is a much greater chance of catching Covid and becoming seriously ill or dying -- the risk from Covid is much greater than the risk from a blood clot. Also, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have very low risks/incidence of blood clots, so go for one of those.

I completely understand anxiety, as I suffer from it myself -- I get the fear that it creates. However, you should be much more afraid of Covid itself than of any of the very slight and unlikely risk factors from the immunizations. So many have become seriously ill and millions have died -- and many of those who recover end up with "long Covid", meaning that their lungs and circulatory systems have been irreparably damaged, and they will now have serious lifelong health issues as a result. Getting fully vaxxed is much better for your health.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I'm seeing people misreading and misinterpreting the data and reaching conclusions they might not reach were they to better understand what those data are telling us.

I feel I'm pretty savvy but the overall picture is highly complex and for every conclusion one might draw I could find an argument to challenge it. We're damned if we do produce all the data and damned if we don't!

So many individuals, though, read/hear the data and statistics and misunderstand them that I can't see an obvious solution. Add to that picture the huge amount of misleading or plain false information 'out there' on the various media and what's happening now is an almost inevitable outcome.

The age we're in may be looked back at from what's presently the future with folk saying "My God, how the hell did folk ever manage to follow the situation in 2022?"

bluebird

Significant Contributor
I hope everyone here is staying well. I got my second a booster last month, so now I'm double-vaxxed and double-boosted. I still do not leave my house without wearing an N-95 mask, and I do not take it off at all outside of my house; I expect to keep doing that for at least another year, and possibly indefinitely. I also do my best to stay at least 6 feet away from everyone else, though that's more difficult these days because so many people mistakenly believe that things are back to normal and that social distancing is no longer necessary.

My sister and her husband caught covid about 2 weeks ago, despite both being double-vaxxed (my sister is also double-boosted, my BIL only single-boosted because he is not yet 50 years old, which is the requirement at the moment in order to get the second booster). Thankfully they both had mild cases and are largely recovered -- but I'm certain they caught it because they do not always wear their masks in public anymore, believing that their vaccine status mostly protects them (and certainly catching covid would probably have been much more dangerous for them had they not gotten their vaccines and boosters). In my opinion that is taking unnecessary risks, but of course they are adults and must assess for themselves the level of risk they are willing to take.

Ruby

Hi Bluebird, I hated the masks and am very relieved we don't have to wear them in UK now. The only time I need one is to visit my mother in her care home. We don't need to take a test and show the result on entry to the care home which we had to do until recently. The covid is on the rise and, for example, in our choir, there are a few cases every week. I try to push my chair back a bit to gain a bit more space as the chairs are all placed quite close together, but the required spacing apparently, but there were only twelve of us yesterday so I was asked to come closer and we were all sitting close together so we could hear our part, soprano, alto or base. I am wary of it, but this is what we had the vaccine for, and there are few in hospital on ventilators and most if not all of them will be unvaccinated. We were discussing it over coffee afterwards and some had a mild case but lingering tiredness which is a big drawback and others had a short, sharp illness which was soon over. Everyone had a different range of symptoms. Some people trace their infection to a very brief exposure and others had family members with the virus at home and they didn't even catch it.

bluebird

Significant Contributor
Hi Ruby. I don't actually like wearing a mask, either, but I think it's an essential part of avoiding catching Covid -- it's not foolproof, of course, but it does provide additional protection on top of the vaccines. I've paid no attention to when mask mandates end, since for myself I have decided to keep wearing a mask.

Covid is on the rise because (at least in part) people have stopped wearing masks. If I were a member of your choir group, I would absolutely not participate unless everyone were at least six feet apart, and while I understand that masks aren't practical when singing, I would insist everyone wear them during set-up, discussions, etc. (non-singing activities), or I would no longer attend/participate.

You're right that trying to get back to something resembling normal is why the vaccines were developed, but I find that too many people feel that it's all over now, when it is not. Of course everyone makes her/his own risk assessment and choices, but personally I see no reason to stop doing an additional thing which protects me (i.e., wearing a mask).

It is true, thankfully, that most people who are vaxxed and boosted will only get mild cases, if they get Covid at all. Still, why not continue trying to avoid it altogether, if possible? Especially given the often-permanent ill effects of long Covid.

Last edited: