Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

mac

janitor
After now about 17 months of Covid-19 dominating our news I grew bored of writing about, and reacting to, the latest pandemic revelations.

In years to come some of us will look back at these times (others will have passed over) and maybe recall some of the details and how life in our world changed irreversibly. Who knows how many more will die before things normalize into whatever it eventually becomes?

No country has gotten everything right and in most countries, states, provinces, cities, towns or whatever I'd bet folk will accuse their own authorities of being the most inept - parochialism is a national and global affliction. Yet some countries WILL do horribly badly although others will do do remarkably well OVERALL. But local situations will vary whichever group you're living in and while we're battling to deal with this pandemic our world is heating up disastrously.

We have much to worry about....

bluebird

Major Contributor
Hi Truth seeker. Glad to hear you got your vaccine; what were your symptoms from it?

I got Moderna. The first shot just gave me a mightily sore arm for 3 or 4 days; the second shot wasn't bad at first, just the same sore arm -- but then around 2 in the morning I just couldn't sleep, as I had body aches and chills (no fever that I'm aware of, though I don't have a thermometer). I had fallen asleep on my couch around 11pm feeling normal, then woke up there around 2am, got into bed, and couldn't sleep. Because I had sleepy brainfog, I didn't even connect it to the vaccine, but eventually I slept a bit, and when I got up in the morning I realized the vaccine was probably the cause. I took a couple of Advil (ibuprofen), and within an hour felt 95% better. Took Advil again in the afternoon, and then again before I went to bed that night, and that was it. Still had the sore arm for a few days, but I expected that and could deal with it.

I am definitely more of a "hardass" than most people when it comes to Covid. As far as I'm concerned, in most places most restrictions should still be in place, masks should absolutely be required unless one is in one's own home or with people one lives with, social distancing should still be enforced, etc. There should be no concerts, dances, parties, vacations. I also don't think children should be going to school in person, but if they do then I think they should be required to wear masks, stay 6 feet apart, etc.

In any case, I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and well.

bluebird

Major Contributor
After now about 17 months of Covid-19 dominating our news I grew bored of writing about, and reacting to, the latest pandemic revelations.

In years to come some of us will look back at these times (others will have passed over) and maybe recall some of the details and how life in our world changed irreversibly. Who knows how many more will die before things normalize into whatever it eventually becomes?

No country has gotten everything right and in most countries, states, provinces, cities, towns or whatever I'd bet folk will accuse their own authorities of being the most inept - parochialism is a national and global affliction. Yet some countries WILL do horribly badly although others will do do remarkably well OVERALL. But local situations will vary whichever group you're living in and while we're battling to deal with this pandemic our world is heating up disastrously.

We have much to worry about....
I know I feel hopeless and depressed for many personal reasons, but even taking all of that into consideration, I genuinely believe this planet may very well be heading to hell in the proverbial handbasket. Racism, sexism, homobophia, transphobia, rape, molestation, child and animal abuse, domestic violence, climate change, Covid-19, the rise of the fascist right-wing in both politics and the citizenry in many countries (absolutely including the U.S.), poverty, human trafficking, destruction/pollution of the oceans, animal extinctions, and so much more, not to mention the high likelihood of more viruses -- both novel and known -- arising in increasing number and severity, due in large part to the consequences of human behavior/actions (climate change, melting of the polar ice caps, wet markets, etc.). It's f***ing monstrously depressing.

Truth seeker

Hi Truth seeker. Glad to hear you got your vaccine; what were your symptoms from it?

I got Moderna. The first shot just gave me a mightily sore arm for 3 or 4 days; the second shot wasn't bad at first, just the same sore arm -- but then around 2 in the morning I just couldn't sleep, as I had body aches and chills (no fever that I'm aware of, though I don't have a thermometer). I had fallen asleep on my couch around 11pm feeling normal, then woke up there around 2am, got into bed, and couldn't sleep. Because I had sleepy brainfog, I didn't even connect it to the vaccine, but eventually I slept a bit, and when I got up in the morning I realized the vaccine was probably the cause. I took a couple of Advil (ibuprofen), and within an hour felt 95% better. Took Advil again in the afternoon, and then again before I went to bed that night, and that was it. Still had the sore arm for a few days, but I expected that and could deal with it.

I am definitely more of a "hardass" than most people when it comes to Covid. As far as I'm concerned, in most places most restrictions should still be in place, masks should absolutely be required unless one is in one's own home or with people one lives with, social distancing should still be enforced, etc. There should be no concerts, dances, parties, vacations. I also don't think children should be going to school in person, but if they do then I think they should be required to wear masks, stay 6 feet apart, etc.

In any case, I hope you and your loved ones stay safe and well.
I got fever, chilss, and couldnt sleep at all the first day, and headaches for two days....

Myself and friends are having lots of problems in life lately, I hope somehow this is some kind of test by the spiritual world and that eventually those who pass it, will have their "reward"..at least I can hope

bluebird

Major Contributor
I got fever, chilss, and couldnt sleep at all the first day, and headaches for two days....

Myself and friends are having lots of problems in life lately, I hope somehow this is some kind of test by the spiritual world and that eventually those who pass it, will have their "reward"..at least I can hope

That sounds like a pretty standard immune response, then. Not fun, but certainly better than actually getting full-blown Covid-19.

I hope the problems you and your friends have been having are quickly, completely, and happily rectified.

mac

janitor
The challenges of this world don't have anything to do with those living in the etheric dimensions. Such ideas come from the kind of teaching perhaps found in certain mainstream religions along with other misguided ideas.

The notion of test and reward is a human one but life incarnate is - we are repeatedly told - something we chose to experience rather than something imposed on us as a test. That's unlikely to be a theme preached from the pulpit on a Sunday morning or during Bible classes, of course!

Last edited:

mac

janitor
The months ahead will be challenging as we head into winter months where health issues always increase anyway.

Many are desperate to see life returning to normal and may be prepared to take risks whereas others simply reject any notion that Covid-19 is the problem it patently is. For them vaccination is a conspiracy to mislead and even dangerous - another 'inconvenient truth'. The rest of us are pragmatic and accept the constantly changing reality of this unprecedented scenario. Maybe it's this uncertainty that causes such angst for many? The world faces this further, long period of uncertainty as the pandemic moves into the next phase with new, potentially more virulent virus strains emerging, especially in communities where there is a low level of vaccination acceptance.

From what we're hearing about the American healthcare system it's somewhat stretched to say the least. Here in the UK hospitals are coping pretty well but there's a huge backlog of treatments necessarily postponed as the pandemic developed. Hospital medical staff are burned out from working flat out and from unprecedented emotional stress. Our National Health System is perpetually underfunded anyway but is also facing a desperate shortage of medical staff at all levels, made worse by our ill-fated 'Brexit' along with hysterical calls to limit foreign workers coming to the UK - at a time we desperately need them!

On top of all that there is great concern that many sick people are staying away from doctors' surgeries and hospital or unable to get appointments. Non-critical surgery such as joint replacement has been delayed by a year and more with even cancer treatment having to wait because resources are stretched well beyond capacity.

Although I've written mostly about our UK situation I wonder how applicable those observations are to the situation in the USA. (where the majority of our members live)

mac

janitor
I don't do online news much but find it interesting to read Yahoo news concerning the current pandemic situation in the USA. The vast majority of what Yahoo news reports is similar to what I learn from non-social-media sources in the UK.

Does anyone here read online Yahoo news and if so, what's your take on what's reported?

bluebird

Major Contributor
I think you're right, mac, that the uncertainty is part of what causes angst for so many -- it certainly does for me. But the appropriate response to that is to do everything one can to protect oneself, which not everyone is doing (those who can, I mean -- I certainly can't fault people who don't even have access to the vaccine). I don't see how life can get back to anything even approaching normal until nearly everyone is vaccinated -- and even then, there's some danger (Delta and other variants, breakthrough infections, etc.), though greatly lessened. In the US, unfortunately the right-wing idiots have done a good job of convincing their idiot followers not to get immunized, and there's some of that in other countries as well -- and it's that kind of stupidity that greatly contributes to the ability of new variants to arise, spread, and thrive.

I think your observations are very much applicable to the USA -- I think we're actually worse off here, in that while both your country and mine have recently had the least qualified individuals "leading" them (to say the least!), both in terms of their Covid response and in general, the US is worse (in my opinion) in terms of stupid people refusing to get the vaccine.

If we can get to the point where Covid-19 is not much more than an unpleasant annoyance like the flu, we'll be damn lucky. Of course, with the multitude of ways in which humans are destroying the planet, Covid-19 is not likely to be the last plague our mistakes unleash upon the world. Global warming / climate change is leading to the melting of the polar ice caps, which in addition to the direct dangers that presents (flooding, changes to the Gulfstream, and the like) is likely to release new pathogens (or at least unknown to us, and therefore germs against which we have little or no immunity) into the human and animal populations.

The experts are now recommending that fully vaxxed people get booster shots about 8 months after their second vaccination (or only vaccination, in the case of the single shots). I will certainly be doing so, but just the fact that that is the recommendation is concerning, and points to how virulent Covid-19 actually is -- normally booster shots (for measles, mumps, etc.) aren't indicated until 4 to 10 years after the initial shot (I may be a bit off, but that's approximately correct).

bluebird

Major Contributor
My sister and I just got our Covid boosters today (Moderna, in our case). So far my arm really doesn't hurt much, just slightly (it did hurt quite a bit after the fact, after the first two shots). We had read that moving your arm around after the shot, and also rubbing the area, more quickly shifts the vaccine liquid through the muscle, which lessens the soreness, so we did that. We were advised that if we get any side effects, they will probably start about 12 hours after the shot (so in the early hours of the morning, for us -- around 1 am). With the first shot, my only side effect was a (very!) sore arm. With the second shot, I had the sore arm again, but also that night I got chills, body aches, slight headache, etc. (no fever, though), for which I took some Advil (ibuprofen), and that got rid of 90% of the symptoms. So my plan is to take a couple of Advil tonight before bed, to hopefully head off any side effects.