Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

mac

janitor
As the UK and US vaccination schemes move ahead the US is well in the lead lifting restrictions but the UK is fast catching up albeit much more carefully. Nonetheless the situation is far from under control yet our populaces are likely to think it is! Social distancing and mask wearing are likely to be early care-casualties. The latter is making me wonder what's best for MY future behavior as others drop their guard.

If wearing a mask become less common - and I predict it will - then those who want to take precautions might need to consider which masks they should wear. The masks most readily available help prevent an individual coughing, sneezing and breathing out particles hence protecting others. That's been the principle since the beginning for ordinary people. BUT if fewer people are wearing masks then fewer others are being protected against the spread of the virus along with the inevitable variants/mutations.

Those of us willing to wear a mask will be protecting others but increasingly those no longer wear masks will be subjecting us to their virus particles. The only way we'll have to protect ourselves will be to keep our distance from others even more scrupulously and - where that's not possible - to wear a surgical grade mask that protects the wearer from airborne virus particles. We'll need to source and buy a better grade of mask to protect ourselves if we want maximum protection.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Social distancing and mask wearing need to be maintained for quite a while yet, in my opinion. I will not drop my guard, though I've been fully vaccinated; it's just safer and more prudent to maintain all possible precautions. I will gladly buy surgical-grade masks, if I can get them. I am definitely fearful of the covidiots who are likely to stop wearing masks and social distancing -- but I have absolutely no problem telling them (or yelling at them, if need be) to back up away from me.

mac

janitor
Our government and their advisers tell us there's a need to remain cautious but I would be diamonds that some, perhaps many, will feel the pandemic is under control and drop their guard.

Here in the UK and over there in the USA the overall effect of a new spike is likely to be less serious now vaccination is widespread and likely to become even more so over the next weeks and months. Nonetheless there will be asymptomatic spreaders among us and it's against those guys we need to take precautions.

Supplies of surgery grade masks ought to be more reliable so this is the time to buy some for those situations we can't control. Shouting at others may be cathartic but won't stop them spreading the virus when they don't know they have it - and for those who don't know or don't care.

bluebird

Major Contributor
No, but shouting will make them back the f*** up away from me, at least, and that's the purpose of it.

Of course, that's only if they don't respond to my initial civilly worded request. The other day at the grocery store, the guy behind me in the checkout line got too close, maybe three feet from me (both he and I were properly wearing masks). I politely but firmly said "Sir, please move back, to six feet away". He didn't do so at first, but he was an older guy so he might not have heard me. I repeated my statement, a bit louder this time but just as civil, he backed up, I said thank you, and we finished our business at the checkout.

mac

janitor
It's nice when individuals react that way. Over here store staff have been attacked when asking customers to use masks properly or to maintain correct social-distancing. Not everyone is co-operative and some are just ass-holes!

bluebird

Major Contributor
True, some people are just assholes. I suppose my "superpower", such as it is, is that since my husband died I simply have no more f***s to give, so I will not put up with any shit, and I don't care at all what some asshole covidiot thinks of me (not speaking now of the guy in the store; he was fine). I have never been one to suffer fools gladly, but since my husband died that has become basically absolute.

If someone decided to attack me over it, I would sue them and my financial problems would be (at least partially) solved (assuming there were witnesses and/or a CCTV video of the attack). My only real concern would be getting injured or catching Covid from the idiot, but since I'm now fully vaccinated I wouldn't become very ill. Hell, even if they attacked me and killed me (unlikely, but remotely possible) I would be ok with that, as I really don't want my current life anyway.

All of that said, I'd rather not have to deal with any covidiots -- I'd rather they not exist. Once we are (hopefully) on the other side of this pandemic, I hope the U.S. is able to find a way to diminish the influence of the mask-denying, right-wing supporting, racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic, anti-intellectual half of our population. The only answer I can see is to increase the influence of education and decrease the influence of fundamentalist religion, but that's easier said than done.

bluebird

Major Contributor
The U.S. is doing pretty well with getting people vaccinated (aside from the covidiots who refuse to get the vaccines) -- we royally screwed up much of our pre-vaccine response to the pandemic, largely due to the asshole-in-chief at that time, but thankfully have gotten our shit together for the vaccine phase of dealing with Covid-19. We are still supposed to wear masks indoors (unless fully vaccinated and with small groups of family who are also fully vaccinated), as well as outdoors during any remotely crowded situations. Personally (and I doubt this will surprise anyone here, given my stated views on these matters), I still intend to wear a mask at all times outside of my own home, other than when I am in my sister's large backyard with just her and her husband (and occasionally our mother), while sitting at least 6 feet apart from everyone (which I have done 2 or 3 times over the course of the past year). My family members think I'm being overly cautious at this point, but my feeling is that there is zero reason not to take additional precautions -- there's no downside. I can't say for sure, but I anticipate that I will likely continue this behavior for at least another 6 months to a year.

Truth seeker

Hello to bluebird, Mac and everyone, I just came to say hello ... it has been a while without coming to the forum ... a lot has happened

Days ago I got the Astra Zeneca vaccine and it knocked me out for a couple of days, apparently in almost all younger people it had that effect, all my friends and acquaintances felt very sick for it.

Today my state entered an "orange traffic light" which means that covid 19 infections grew and there are more restrictions on local businesses, some cannot open and others have to close early and work with few clients inside.

People became confident and began to go out everywhere, concerts, dances, parties, vacations, without masks and these are the consequences, while our president ( in Mexico) is saying that children have to go back to schools with or without a pandemic.

Well, let's see what happens ... I hope you are all well, take care, greetings ...