Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

mac

janitor
I guess you'll be back at work now?

Moderna hadn't had scrutiny of its details and then approval any earlier. Its approval and use could be significant because it appears India may start restricting exports from its vaccine manufacturers to ensure India's citizens get adequate vaccination doses - they're having a bad time right now.

As I've often heard it said recently, no individual nation is safe until all are safe..... New emerging variants are an ongoing worry and there's still consternation about blood clots associated with AstraZeneca to be sorted out.

bluebird

Major Contributor
I plan to keep working from home, if at all possible -- I much prefer it (for many reasons, including much less gas money and wear & tear on the car, since my job is 1.5 hours away), plus I get much more work done (literally more than 6 times as much). Besides that, we have hired additional people to handle customer service (which I had been stuck doing, but which was not what I was actually hired to do), so there's really no need for me to be in the office more than the one day a week I'm there currently (going in one day a week is sufficient to allow me to get done any work I need to handle in/from the office). I really hope my boss does not push for me to come in to the office more -- if he does, I will show him how much more work I've gotten done at home (I created a spreadsheet in March 2020, at the start of work-from-home, and have kept it updated to track my work). If he still pushes to have me return to the office more than one day a week, I will look for another job, one much closer to home. If I have to go in to an office 5 days a week, it would be much better for me to do so at a more local job.

I wasn't aware of the issues India was having with the vaccine, but I can certainly understand them restricting export of the vaccine unless/until its own citizens are fully vaccinated. It's true that no nation is safe until all are safe, since as long as hotspots remain, new variants are likely to appear.

mac

janitor
I remember how you've preferred working from home and how long your commute journey is - horrendous! I also remember how you dislike the face-to-face work you're stuck with.

Working from home has often been shown to be more productive for those individuals best suited to it. Others prefer a workplace environment and the ideal would be to let individuals choose whichever system works best for them provided the employer is comfortable with the arrangement, of course.

I do hope you can get the working conditions you'd prefer now there are additional staff at your place.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Thanks, mac. Pandemic aside, I don't so much mind dealing with customers -- most of them are nice enough. It's just that it's not the work I was hired to do, it's well below my abilities, and it can be quite tedious. My actual work, the kind I've been doing since work-from-home was instituted, is much more in line with my expertise, experience, and educational degree. I was able to do some of that work pre-pandemic as well, as I said, but have been able to do so much more of it from home. The commute, and the costs of gas and wear & tear on the car, are definitely primary concerns. Plus I very much like being able to roll out of bed 10 minutes before I'm supposed to start working, brush my teeth and make a bagel, then sit on my couch, fire up the laptop, and start working while still in my pjs, lol. My boss really shouldn't have a problem with me continuing to work mostly from home, as it's better all round (plus I get paid more than the customer service employees because my actual intended work is higher level, so it makes more sense for my employer) -- so fingers crossed! I agree that different people work differently, and are more productive in certain setups. I do kind of miss seeing my coworkers, but I see them a bit when I go in once a week, and that's enough. I know this isolation has been hard on many people, but honestly I've been isolating myself as much as possible since my husband died anyway, so I think that aspect of all this has been less difficult for me than it has been for so many others.

mac

janitor
The changes brought on by this damned pandemic have had many, many negative outcomes but for some - perhaps a small minority - it's not been wholly negative.

I'm fond of sayings, bb, and there's one that goes "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good." This pandemic is one example of that saying in action.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Agreed; I have read quite a few accounts of people whose lives have improved during the pandemic, at least in some ways. Some people got better jobs, some improved their relationships with their spouse/partner, kids, parents, friends, some took up new hobbies or focused on old ones, etc. Not to mention that it has made very clear that our previous way of life is simply unsustainable, at least in the U.S., and hopefully that will lead us towards being able to make the necessary changes to make life better for our citizens (I hope the same is true in other countries as well, it's just that the U.S. is, in my opinion, one of the most screwed up of the "first world" countries, in many ways -- healthcare, hunger, racism/sexism/homophobia/transphobia, wealth inequality, crooked/evil politicians, idiots who don't "believe" in science, etc.).

Of course, the improvements in some lives does not begin to counteract the horrific losses in others -- dead loved ones, sick loved ones, lost families, lost homes, lost jobs, etc.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Thanks, mac. I was aware of everything in the article, but it's good to have it linked here for those who are not.