Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

mac

janitor
In Lithuania it is quarantine, country is completely closed. Also borders are closed and Lithuanians from other countries are being brought home mostly by military and some of them are infected with virus. But due to strict rules until now there is just 1 who got infected inside the country plus 1 doctor who works with those who are sick with this virus and 39 who came back from other countries.
And it seems to be hard economically this quarantine as small businesses are already bankrupting. :(
I'm confused - where do you live - I thought you were in Sweden yet you're talking about Lithuania? o_Oo_Oo_O

mac

janitor
The UK's lunchtime BBC news today reported that our scientists have predicted that present social isolation measures will be necessary for maybe the next year to prevent our health services being overwhelmed with critically ill patients. That's already happened in Italy and looks likely in Spain. Who knows which other countries' health services will succumb next - the USA is just as likely to struggle. :(

Here on ALF we consider afterlife issues and the way this crisis is going there will be many, many deaths and we may see many, many new seekers looking for answers about where their loved ones have gone. :(

mac

janitor
Each and every individual will soon be facing their own, personal problems and we all will share similar problems such as shortages brought about by panicking individuals bulk-buying staples. There is no shortage of anything in the USA yet some shelves are empty because some folk are fearful they will not have what they need and have over-bought to an absurd degree. Nothing short of enforced purchasing limits will stop their behavior.

Monika

I'm confused - where do you live - I thought you were in Sweden yet you're talking about Lithuania? o_Oo_Oo_O
I live in Sweden, moved here 3 years ago, but my parents are in Lithuania. Thats why i know more about there than here. I keep contact with them daily :)

mac

janitor
I live in Sweden, moved here 3 years ago, but my parents are in Lithuania. Thats why i know more about there than here. I keep contact with them daily :)
ah - I see now....

We keep in contact with events in the UK via the BBC news online. It's our lifeline as to what is going on there.

Ruby

Regular Contributor
I can never remember the order of the Baltic states, but my husband has just said they are in alphabetical order north to south: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

kirolak

Just to add my good wishes to all other members . . . be strong & safe. In my native country things are going badly ; but here in Africa they seem to have made a good move to close everything down really early to control the curve.

mac

janitor
Just to add my good wishes to all other members . . . be strong & safe. In my native country things are going badly ; but here in Africa they seem to have made a good move to close everything down really early to control the curve.
Which is your native country?

Flossie

Hi everyone - I have just been reading through all of your posts on the corona virus.

I am in Derbyshire UK.

My hubby has COPD so he is in isolation for 12 weeks. I am sure it will be longer but this is the initial requirement for those at higher risk. I have put myself in isolation with him as otherwise it would mean us keeping 2 metres apart at all times. Not being in smaller rooms at the same time and the list goes on. I also need to help him with some medications so it's not practical. It's easier and less stressful to isolate with him. We are getting online shops and we have family and friends living nearby who help keep us stocked with what we need too. So we are in a better position than most.

Just before the lock down I was still going to the shops. It was crazy. No loo rolls in the shops for over a week and when they were put out they were gone within minutes. Luckily we had some stock before this so with the help of family and friends they kept picking them up here and there. It was madness trying to get hand soaps and gels too.

It's difficult not seeing our children and grandchildren but so long as we all stay safe it's a small price to pay. We keep face timing and have even had a couple of quiz games whilst face timing. It's our daughter's 40th birthday on Sunday so the family are having a face time session to sing happy birthday. We also did this for my 7 years old granddaughter a few weeks ago. It's all very strange.

Stay safe everyone!

mac

janitor
I'm in Nottinghamshire, East Midlands, England, UK

Here I'm isolating myself as much as possible other than grocery shopping while my wife was severely ill with shingles. One of us has to do the shopping or we'd starve but I should stay away from public places as much as possible 'cos at 73 I'm an old fart hence at higher risk from contracting Covid 19.

ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi are well stocked but we face long queues (waits in line) because customer numbers are being restricted. I think the small number of customers allowed in some stores is ott resulting in 45 minutes waits in line, the queues snaking around the car park/parking lots. We didn't face such restrictions in Frys, Safeway and Walmart yet with awareness ad care we could still keep the 'safe' distance from one another. Panic buying seems to have stopped although some items may still be hard to find and choice is somewhat limited.

Our daughter is several weeks into an advised 12 week lockdown because her partner is at high risk. Fortunately both can work from home but being 'at home' for them is a small flat/apartment 3 floors up. I can go outdoors in my garden and run or walk on nearby trails or on sidewalks/pavements. Compared with many we've got it with jam on and are appreciative of that situation. The UK is locked down for a further 3 week period and that could be extended again.

I fear for folk's health and welfare if things stretch on much further into the future. :( Stay well, keep your spirits up, hope for the best but prepare for something less.....

I doubt it's medically approved but I find Budweiser, gin and other tipples help with boredom and stress. ;)

jobun

jobun,

I'm glad you're stocked up and doing well. I actually brought my desktop hand sanitizer home with me from work, lol.

We're work at home for two weeks (at this point) as well; today is day 2 for me, and it's actually going surprisingly well. Im Im sure I'll get bored, but my commute is normally 1.5 hours each way, so it's nice not to have to do 3 hours of commuting each day -- when I finish work, I just go make dinner or take a shower or whatever, lol. Also I'm saving about $200 in gas and $100 in tolls over the course of the two weeks, plus the wear & tear on my car.

Anyway, I hope you and your Mom stay healthy and well. Just go out as little as possible (easy for you, since you have stuff at home), and wash/sanitize your hands a lot.

LOL bluebird. I didn't bring my sanitizer home because we were supposed to be testing the remote system on Friday March 13, and I worked from home that day. by the end of the day we rec'd messages that we were to stay home for two weeks, which was then extended to the end of April, and now we're probably going to be extended until May 15. I have left my house exactly 5 times to go to the stores for supplies, and my mom had to pick up some meds. I've rescheduled my Dr appts. (I had a f/u with my ENT, that can wait). My mom has a f/u with her urologist that she is also going to postpone because she is supposed to have blood work done and she never made the appt with her primary.

I am so bored out of my mind right now, but I do have everything I need at home to ride this out. I was trying to be optimistic and hope we're going to be ok by mother's day, because I didn't have my mom over for Easter, mainly because of the social distancing - I couldn't invite my siblings, and we didn't really celebrate Easter - but her birthday and mother's day are around the same time and I usually have something for her to celebrate both. I'm a little leary of inviting my brother over because he's an essential worker (works in the supermarkets) and has been working the whole time. I don't think he's sick or anything but I'd rather not take the chance. My mom will be 85 in May.

jobun

fun fact: I am 1/4 Lithuanian, on my maternal grandmother's side. I'm not sure if she still had family there, but I hope your parents are staying well.

mac

janitor
This is one thread I expected there'd be some interest in - not the first time I've been wrong!

Usually folk like to talk about themselves and/or grumble but even about this topic folk seem reluctant to put cyber pen to paper. Oh, sure, I realise that grumbling won't change anything but that doesn't generally stop folk grumbling!

So what's the deal? o_O:confused:

bluebird

Major Contributor
LOL bluebird. I didn't bring my sanitizer home because we were supposed to be testing the remote system on Friday March 13, and I worked from home that day. by the end of the day we rec'd messages that we were to stay home for two weeks, which was then extended to the end of April, and now we're probably going to be extended until May 15. I have left my house exactly 5 times to go to the stores for supplies, and my mom had to pick up some meds. I've rescheduled my Dr appts. (I had a f/u with my ENT, that can wait). My mom has a f/u with her urologist that she is also going to postpone because she is supposed to have blood work done and she never made the appt with her primary.

I am so bored out of my mind right now, but I do have everything I need at home to ride this out. I was trying to be optimistic and hope we're going to be ok by mother's day, because I didn't have my mom over for Easter, mainly because of the social distancing - I couldn't invite my siblings, and we didn't really celebrate Easter - but her birthday and mother's day are around the same time and I usually have something for her to celebrate both. I'm a little leary of inviting my brother over because he's an essential worker (works in the supermarkets) and has been working the whole time. I don't think he's sick or anything but I'd rather not take the chance. My mom will be 85 in May.

Yeah, I'm still home as well. I'm not sure when my job will open up again, but it's not an essential service, so I'm guessing maybe not until June. Luckily for me I can do quite a bit of my work from home, and in any case my employer has guaranteed to pay everyone a minimum of 4 hours per day for each day they normally work, and then if they actually work more than that they get paid for more than that. I've been working 7 hours a day. Hopefully that continues, but if not then I can always apply for unemployment, but I'd rather it not come to that.

I've done food shopping only twice since this all started (for both my Mom and I, both times). I'll have to go again in a couple of weeks. I don't really do doctors, so that's not an issue for me, and my Mom's standard doc visits (not emergencies, thankfully) have been cancelled for the time being. I'm glad you and your Mom are doing well. It's a good idea for your brother not to be around your Mom, given his job. It is a bit boring, all this staying home, but honestly for me it's not that different than how my life has been since my husband died anyway, since I have preferred to just isolate at home since he died.

Kurt

Major Contributor
This Coronavirus has been a dumpster fire all around for me. I'll go more in depth later but it literally ruined my relationship, my x's entire life, (no joke. its completely and so far as i can tell irreversibly ruined) my jobs and has nearly tanked my entire school semester (I have somehow managed to yet again pull a hail mary styled recovery but I'm not out of the clear yet...) not to mention my finances.

Despite this I'd still say it's been a great learning experience for me and I think that when it's all said and done ill be a better person for it... Although ATM i'm still having to deal with the chaos it's causing. I really hope it doesn't get any worse...

jobun

Hi just wanted to check in, haven't been here in a while... still on lockdown or rather working from home - my state is starting to open up some things like beaches & churches and expanded group gatherings to no more than 10 with social distancing.
it's been a tough couple of months... or is it years not, I can't tell sometimes.... LOL.... but hopefully - yes mac, I'm still trying to be optimistic ;) we'll be going back to the office soon. I haven't heard of any extensions to stay home from work past May 31, so far, so crossing everything that can be crossed, and praying that we can safely return to the office in June. I have been fortunate that I have the opportunity to work at home, but man, I really really really need a change of scenery, and social interaction with real people, not computer zoomed ones....lol. I miss my work peeps.... I do think we're pretty much past the peak now, and our curve has flattened so let's start getting back to our basic freedoms....

mac

janitor
All we can do is hope that infection rates don't take off again with our medical staff - your side of the pond as much as ours - under more of the pressure that's taken its toll on their mental and physical health. Many are jaded and drained after countless days of flat-out nursing under the most demanding conditions. :(

bluebird

Major Contributor
For me, it's kind of the opposite situation from what jobun is experiencing/describing -- I do not want my workplace to open up again anytime soon, I'm terrified of it doing so (in part, we deal with the public, a lot of them). I've been lucky, in that I've been able to work from home since we shut down here (so since mid-March), at only around 4 hours per week less than usual, so I'm still making most of my paycheck. Plus, I normally drive 1.5 hours to get to work, so a 3 hour round-trip commute, so I'm saving about $100 per month in gas, which helps to offset the very slightly reduced hours. Quite honestly, I'm getting a lot more of my real work done while at home, since I have fewer interruptions, no clients/customers to deal with, and no stopping to chat with coworkers (aside from the occasional e-mail). I don't anticipate my workplace opening up again before mid-June, at the very earliest, and I hope it doesn't open until later than that. I honestly don't think we should open up until the summer is over (spring and summer are normally our busy season). I know that quarantine is hard for a lot of people, but it's easier than death.

It has been hard on me as well, as I normally go over to my sister's four nights a week for dinner and binge-watching our shows, and I haven't been able to do that. My BIL is still going to work, so I'm afraid to spend time in their house, though I have gone over and spent time with them out in their backyard a few times, which was good. I also haven't been able to go to the thrift shop for two months, whereas I normally go twice a week (I enjoy it, always have, plus it functions as a kind of therapy for me). I've been doing the food shopping once a month, for both my mother (who is somewhat immunocompromised) and myself, whereas normally I would do it around twice a month. As a result, each shopping trip is huge -- I go and do hers, drop off her stuff to her, then go back and do mine. I limit my trips out altogether, so if I have to go to the bank or the post office or the like, I do it on the same day I do the food shopping. As a result of all this, plus how much longer it takes everywhere due to the "stay 6 feet apart rule" and everything else, each time I do the food shopping (etc.), it's a 6 or 7 hour production. Not easy, but necessary, and better than making multiple trips out -- the fewer times I leave my house, the less likely I am to be exposed to COVID-19.

I know that for me there are two specific things which factor in to my response to this crisis, aside from all the usual stuff that's affecting everyone. One is that I have anxiety/panic disorder and OCD, both of which are being seriously exacerbated by the pandemic (the fact that I have some physical risk factors doesn't help). The other is that I have intentionally isolated myself as much as possible since my husband died, so while the current quarantine is kind of an extreme version of that, it's not as different or difficult for me as it may be for many people who are much more social, as it's not that much of a change for me.

mac

janitor
Working from home for some of the time for some individuals is one potential longer-term benefits from a situation which doesn't appear to have many positives. It's to be hoped that those who would like to work that way get the chance. It's something that can be properly evaluated once we get back to something closer to how it was BC. There are clear benefits in terms of not having to commute and less pollution as a consequence.

Bizarrely right now in the UK workers returning to their jobs are being encouraged NOT to travel by public transport and encouraged to walk or cycle to work! Imagine doing that in the US - it's a big enough problem in my tiny country let alone in a huge one. The days of living close enough to places of work to walk or cycle there belong to earlier times. Many have no choice, and may never have had a choice, about how they travel to work.

How practical cycling is depends on distance, weather and roads. Few are likely to be able to walk I'd guess.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Agreed, mac. I suspect that I will have to find a different job, though, if I prefer to keep working from home on a long-term basis. I don't think my current employer would go for it. You're correct about the commuting, too -- in the U.S. it would simply be impossible for everyone to get to work via walking or biking.

mac

janitor
Agreed, mac. I suspect that I will have to find a different job, though, if I prefer to keep working from home on a long-term basis. I don't think my current employer would go for it. You're correct about the commuting, too -- in the U.S. it would simply be impossible for everyone to get to work via walking or biking.

In the UK we're now facing increased volumes of city/town commuter road traffic at the very time we've been working hard to reduce it. It's mostly because of traffic fume pollution, the effects of particulate and oxides of nitrogen on breathing which are particularly dangerous to children and those already suffering with breathing issues.

jobun

checking back in. Still working from home. they now expect us to return after labor day. we've been slowly reopening, but I haven't really done much because the information they are providing regarding new cases, etc is very misleading. one day we're doing great, 5 minutes later it's a disaster... ugh. between that, and all the unrest going on right now, I don't really want to go out much. My mom has been having some issues, and while I want to expand our shopping time, I have to consider her physical well being. she is 85 years old. I get her out of the house once a week for supplies and meds etc. We've been pretty diligent in keeping up with the mask mandate and sanitizer and stuff. I floated the idea last week of maybe venturing out a little further, like going to Walmart and she was open to it but we ended up postponing it last weekend because we're also in a heatwave right now and dealing with the heat and a mask just isn't a great idea at the moment. I have developed a slight bit of vertigo, and I have respiratory issues (chronic sinusitis) that also hamper me with the mask use. I sometimes feel like this is never going to end, that we're going to be living like this forever. I can't. I just can't anymore....

Ruby

Regular Contributor
I do sympathise jobun, life sounds very difficult. I hadn't thought about the effect that heat would have. It's cool and raining here. My mother is in her late eighties and is in a very good expensive care home as she's gone very cheerfully dotty and my father died three years ago. We've just sold her flat and have all their things around us as the charity shops are still closed. We have the same hysteria going on here in the UK and polarisation of politics and social media fights. It does nothing for the spirits at all, does it?