Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

jobun

I am fortunate right now to have everything I need which I have had since way before any illnesses. Stuff that I got when it was on sale, that I purchased and put away for a rainy day. Anyway, in my neck of the woods, all paper products are wiped out of my supermarkets, I saw a few paper plates, that was it. most of the bread was gone - loaves, but the fresh baked bread was still available, so I got some Italian loaves and some Kaiser rolls. I also managed to get some hamburger & hotdog rolls (I have burgers and dogs in my freezer). Milk and eggs were available which was funny because they are usually the first things to go in mad snowstorm times....LOL. and of course most cleaning products are gone, hand sanitizers, Lysol wipes etc. I already have that stuff in my house because I clean my home regularly and not just because a virus has surfaced. ;) I am a little on the risky side because I have respiratory issues, and my mom is elderly - but in fairly decent health so we're being cautious when going to the market and we've got pretty good stock with food. Water is a little scarce, but our tap water will do if we must.... LOL. My job has us working remotely for the next two weeks and I'm already stir crazy. urgh….. otherwise I'm using common sense and keeping it real. I hope everyone else will be ok too and that this virus passes quickly.

jobun

oh, and I hope my hand sanitizer will still be on my desk at work when I finally get back...LOL

mac

janitor
It's an important point that tapwater - water out of your cold water tap/faucet - is biologically safe even if it's flavour may not be the best. Our desert water, for example, tastes foul directly or in tea but is safe to drink. Few need to buy bottled water unless they have a health condition that mandates it. Perhaps this crisis will start the process of ditching the absurd amount of water shipped around the country and the absurd number of plastic bottles going into landfill??? I hope.....

My wife and I have just been listening to our BBC news at home and also watching the CBS news in the USA. The sooner that grocery stores/supermarkets ration how much of water, bog rolls, sanitisers etc. the sooner the situation will stabilise. Neither the UK nor the USA are short of food and non-consumables but panic buying creates the very situation folk are afraid of.

Sadly those panicky individuals won't heed requests for sensible buying so they need to be made to do it. The sooner the better......

mac

janitor
Listening to a guy in the UK this morning (AZ) he reckons this virus pandemic will signal a change in the way this world will work in times to come. He thinks historians of the future will refer to the world BC and the world AC - before corona virus and after corona virus.

bluebird

Major Contributor
jobun,

I'm glad you're stocked up and doing well. I actually brought my desktop hand sanitizer home with me from work, lol.

We're work at home for two weeks (at this point) as well; today is day 2 for me, and it's actually going surprisingly well. Im Im sure I'll get bored, but my commute is normally 1.5 hours each way, so it's nice not to have to do 3 hours of commuting each day -- when I finish work, I just go make dinner or take a shower or whatever, lol. Also I'm saving about $200 in gas and $100 in tolls over the course of the two weeks, plus the wear & tear on my car.

Anyway, I hope you and your Mom stay healthy and well. Just go out as little as possible (easy for you, since you have stuff at home), and wash/sanitize your hands a lot.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Listening to a guy in the UK this morning (AZ) he reckons this virus pandemic will signal a change in the way this world will work in times to come. He thinks historians of the future will refer to the world BC and the world AC - before corona virus and after corona virus.
Wow. Yeah, he's probably right. Hopefully this is also what finally pushes the U.S. into universal healthcare, like the rest of the first world countries.

mac

janitor
jobun,

I'm glad you're stocked up and doing well. I actually brought my desktop hand sanitizer home with me from work, lol.

We're work at home for two weeks (at this point) as well; today is day 2 for me, and it's actually going surprisingly well. Im Im sure I'll get bored, but my commute is normally 1.5 hours each way, so it's nice not to have to do 3 hours of commuting each day -- when I finish work, I just go make dinner or take a shower or whatever, lol. Also I'm saving about $200 in gas and $100 in tolls over the course of the two weeks, plus the wear & tear on my car.

Anyway, I hope you and your Mom stay healthy and well. Just go out as little as possible (easy for you, since you have stuff at home), and wash/sanitize your hands a lot.

It's an interesting aspect about working from home. For years it's been a hit-and-miss situation but I wonder if in the coming future employers will realise there are reasons to enable and encourage their staff to consider working from home. Just look at the horrible commute you're not having to do presently, bb, and the huge savings you're making along with your producing no pollution when your car is parked.

mac

janitor
Wow. Yeah, he's probably right. Hopefully this is also what finally pushes the U.S. into universal healthcare, like the rest of the first world countries.
It would be a nice outcome - the best of your healthcare system and the best of ours would be a great starting point to build both systems up from. :)

bluebird

Major Contributor
It's an interesting aspect about working from home. For years it's been a hit-and-miss situation but I wonder if in the coming future employers will realise there are reasons to enable and encourage their staff to consider working from home. Just look at the horrible commute you're not having to do presently, bb, and the huge savings you're making along with your producing no pollution when your car is parked.
Agreed. Plus about 50% of my work is stuff that I can actually do better from home. I currently work four days a week, and I'd like to do two days from home from now on, though I don't know if that will be allowed once (if) things get back to normal.