Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

Monika

I'm sorry, I wasn't aware you were ill. It can be difficult to determine if it's ok to take the vaccine when you have a particular illness and/or have to take certain medications for that illness. I hope whatever illness you have is easily treatable and does not impact your life, and that your doctor is able to recommend one of the Covid vaccines for you. In the meantime (well, even after you get vaccines, really), please stay safe and well, masked up and socially distancing, etc. :)
Thank you bluebird for your kind words :) I keep myself safe and healthy :) I have SLE but im doing very well compared with how bad it could be.

bluebird

You're very welcome. :)

I didn't know what "SLE" was, so I googled it -- it's a form of lupus, is that correct? If so, given that lupus is an autoimmune disease, I can see how it might be difficult to determine if it's safe for you to get Covid vaccines, but I do hope you are able to get the vaccines, and I'm glad that the SLE isn't affecting you badly and that you keep yourself safe and healthy.

Monika

You're very welcome. :)

I didn't know what "SLE" was, so I googled it -- it's a form of lupus, is that correct? If so, given that lupus is an autoimmune disease, I can see how it might be difficult to determine if it's safe for you to get Covid vaccines, but I do hope you are able to get the vaccines, and I'm glad that the SLE isn't affecting you badly and that you keep yourself safe and healthy.
I appologize for using short name of it which of course makes it difficult to understand what is that. You are right, bluebird, SLE is systemic lupus erythematosus.

Ruby

I appologize for using short name of it which of course makes it difficult to understand what is that. You are right, bluebird, SLE is systemic
Thank you bluebird for your kind words :) I keep myself safe and healthy :) I have SLE but im doing very well compared with how bad it could be.
Nice to hear from you again, Monika. If anything like a friend of mine, it is healthier to keep away from the sun.

Monika

Hej Rubby!! Nice to hear from you too! :)
Yes, sun is not very big friend of mine...Thats why i love long dark winters here without any sun at all :D

Auras

May I ask why?
My main reason is because I don't go out much. My anxiety keeps me in most days so my social interaction is at a bare minimum. I only go out, if it's absolutely necessary. Then I will follow the rules, face mask on, keeping distance as much as possible.

bluebird

My main reason is because I don't go out much. My anxiety keeps me in most days so my social interaction is at a bare minimum. I only go out, if it's absolutely necessary. Then I will follow the rules, face mask on, keeping distance as much as possible.

I can understand that, as it's much the same with me. In my opinion, though, getting the vaccines is still the way to go -- especially with Omicron, which is so virulent and transmissible that it's even causing "breakthrough" cases, in which fully vaxxed and boosted people are catching it....thankfully, it tends to only cause mild symptoms, especially in vaccinated people. And with Delta and any other variants that arise, they are a bit less transmissible but are much more dangerous, unfortunately.

I leave my house as little as possible, and when I do have to go out (such as for work or groceries) I do not leave my house without a mask (these days, I'm actually double-masking with one N-95 and one regular on top), I stay as far away from other people as possible, etc. Nonetheless, I am double-vaxxed and boosted, and will get another booster if/when it is advised and available.

Certainly you are taking precautions, but why not take as many as possible and get vaccinated as well? Please stay safe.

ravensgate

My daughter received the 2 doses of the Pfizer vaccine in the Spring of 2021 and was ready to receive the booster. She started feeling under the weather, with scratchy throat, nasal congestion, and a persistent feeling of a lump in her throat. About 10 days before the symptoms surfaced she attended a rather large gathering (against my advice but hey, Mom knows diddly, right?!:rolleyes:) I convinced her to get tested before making the appointment for the booster and sure enough she tested positive.... and freaked out! She was prescribed Tessalon Pearls and methylprednisolone; she is now nearly back to her old self, but it took over 2 weeks to recover!

I had my first vaccine in March (the Moderna vaccine) and received the second one in April; in October I went for the booster. I continue to wear my mask (I now use an N95) whenever I enter a store, I do not shop in person unless necessary (Amazon loves me, I'm sure!), I have my groceries delivered and any new patient who walk into my office, I ask if they've been vaccinated; if not, I wear my mask and keep at least 6 feet between us.
I may be called "chicken" for this behavior but frankly death at this point in my life would be quite inconvenient, lol

I would also like to add that, as much as I dislike admitting it, I am experiencing compassion fatigue. Just this past December I lost a 39-year old patient who believed Covid was nothing but "liberal bs". His Covid battle began with respiratory issues that grew worse within a few days; he was admitted to hospital and placed on 2 types of life support (ventilator and ECMO); he died some 2 months later. He was healthy, no pre-existing conditions, he exercised regularly, a non-smoker; unfortunately he believed the Big Lie. He left a wife and 2 young children.
Please, people, do not mistake a little inconvenience for "liberal tyranny"! Thank you.

bluebird

Sorry to hear your daughter caught Covid, ravensgate, and glad to hear she recovered. I don't think you're being a chicken -- I think taking the sorts of precautions you are is really the best and only way to deal with this. My mom had an injury and has been in a rehab for the past two months (she'll be going home in a few days, yay!), and just last week tested positive for covid, despite being double-vaxxed and boosted (Moderna). Given her health conditions (one lung lobe removed due to cancer a few years ago, COPD, asthma), it could have killed her had she not had the vaccines -- as it is, instead she had what felt like a mild head cold (her lungs remained clear) for a few days, and is already feeling back to normal. Because of the mildness of her symptoms, we're assuming it was Omicron.

I am double-vaxxed and boosted (all Moderna), and will get another booster if/when it is recommended. I do not leave my home without wearing a mask -- these days, I'm always double-masking (N-95 first, and a regular disposable mask on top of that), I always stay as far away from others as I can, and honestly I barely leave the house at all. I am working from home three days a week, and only need to go into the office one day a week. My workplace requires employees to wear masks in the office; usually there are only two of us in the office at any one time, and we are easily able to stay at least 6 feet apart. Because I won't remove my mask outside of my home, that means I don't eat anything all day on the day I work in the office, until I get home around 6pm. I don't consider these things to be extreme, I consider them to be essential.

I understand the compassion fatigue; it is difficult to have compassion for people who for some idiotic reason politicize a pandemic, a medical issue. The conservatives don't understand that we liberals simply don't view the pandemic as a political issue, because in reality, it is not one. Covid does not care one whit whether an individual is a liberal or a conservative -- only that s/he is a viable host. I wish everyone understood that.

ravensgate

Sorry to hear your daughter caught Covid, ravensgate, and glad to hear she recovered. I don't think you're being a chicken -- I think taking the sorts of precautions you are is really the best and only way to deal with this. My mom had an injury and has been in a rehab for the past two months (she'll be going home in a few days, yay!), and just last week tested positive for covid, despite being double-vaxxed and boosted (Moderna). Given her health conditions (one lung lobe removed due to cancer a few years ago, COPD, asthma), it could have killed her had she not had the vaccines -- as it is, instead she had what felt like a mild head cold (her lungs remained clear) for a few days, and is already feeling back to normal. Because of the mildness of her symptoms, we're assuming it was Omicron.

I am double-vaxxed and boosted (all Moderna), and will get another booster if/when it is recommended. I do not leave my home without wearing a mask -- these days, I'm always double-masking (N-95 first, and a regular disposable mask on top of that), I always stay as far away from others as I can, and honestly I barely leave the house at all. I am working from home three days a week, and only need to go into the office one day a week. My workplace requires employees to wear masks in the office; usually there are only two of us in the office at any one time, and we are easily able to stay at least 6 feet apart. Because I won't remove my mask outside of my home, that means I don't eat anything all day on the day I work in the office, until I get home around 6pm. I don't consider these things to be extreme, I consider them to be essential.

I understand the compassion fatigue; it is difficult to have compassion for people who for some idiotic reason politicize a pandemic, a medical issue. The conservatives don't understand that we liberals simply don't view the pandemic as a political issue, because in reality, it is not one. Covid does not care one whit whether an individual is a liberal or a conservative -- only that s/he is a viable host. I wish everyone understood that.
So glad to read your mother experienced mild symptoms only, considering her pre-existing conditions! Last week one of my clients mentioned she lost 4 people in her family. Four people from May until October 2021; all 4 had refused the vaccine.... but here's the kicker: my client is "considering" getting the vaccine. Oh, for pete's sake! o_O:rolleyes:

bluebird

So glad to read your mother experienced mild symptoms only, considering her pre-existing conditions! Last week one of my clients mentioned she lost 4 people in her family. Four people from May until October 2021; all 4 had refused the vaccine.... but here's the kicker: my client is "considering" getting the vaccine. Oh, for pete's sake! o_O:rolleyes:
Thank you. :) She and we were very lucky.

I'm sorry about your clients' family members; it is so difficult to convince people who refuse to accept scientific fact, but I'm surprised that the death of four of her family members didn't convince her.

mac

janitor and administrator
Staff member
Here in the US things are every bit as bad as they appeared to be when I was following events from afar.....

I'm sick of debating the situation, sick of hearing arguments for and against vaccination, sick of hearing the same-old same old stuff.... Sick of hearing how bad the situation truly is. But it doesn't go away by ignoring it or doing an ostrich impression and I'm resigned to living with a pandemic for some time yet.

It's said Covid-19 will become endemic in time but nobody knows for sure and modelling doesn't guarantee outcomes. I fear that a regularly emerging new variant may become an annual event bringing with it all the uncertainty we've faced since Omicron came along so suddenly.

If that happens we'll all be in a new world where the freedoms of old have become distant, fond memories, each of us remembering the things that meant the most to us individually.

Auras

I can understand that, as it's much the same with me. In my opinion, though, getting the vaccines is still the way to go -- especially with Omicron, which is so virulent and transmissible that it's even causing "breakthrough" cases, in which fully vaxxed and boosted people are catching it....thankfully, it tends to only cause mild symptoms, especially in vaccinated people. And with Delta and any other variants that arise, they are a bit less transmissible but are much more dangerous, unfortunately.

I leave my house as little as possible, and when I do have to go out (such as for work or groceries) I do not leave my house without a mask (these days, I'm actually double-masking with one N-95 and one regular on top), I stay as far away from other people as possible, etc. Nonetheless, I am double-vaxxed and boosted, and will get another booster if/when it is advised and available.

Certainly you are taking precautions, but why not take as many as possible and get vaccinated as well? Please stay safe.
I'd like to say that I am not against vaccinations. However, I am somewhat wary because there have been more cases while millions have been vaccinated vs fewer when people weren't vaccinated. That could just be due to the virus being well spread now, but it still doesn't sit well with me.

I fear a lot of things in my life and being vaccinated is one of them. I was reading about the vaccines on the NHS and there is a chance of blood-clot. Anything that carries a risk, terrifies me. Other fears are much the same, like getting on a plane and it crashing. I can't swallow food properly incase I choke. I have to make sure Its chewed down properly and swallow bit by bit. I have to be wary around pets, scared of being bit.

I think my anxiety makes me think of the worse case scenarios which makes me scared.

I would like it if someone can make me see it differently then I will go and get vaccinated. For the mean time though, my stubbornness is what makes me not.

bluebird

There are more cases now because of people not getting vaccinated, which allows variants to arise and flourish -- and also just because Covid-19 is highly contagious and virulent, which is why we are now in the midst of a pandemic.

Yes, there is a small chance of a blood clot if you get the vaccinations, but there is a much greater chance of catching Covid and becoming seriously ill or dying -- the risk from Covid is much greater than the risk from a blood clot. Also, the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines have very low risks/incidence of blood clots, so go for one of those.

I completely understand anxiety, as I suffer from it myself -- I get the fear that it creates. However, you should be much more afraid of Covid itself than of any of the very slight and unlikely risk factors from the immunizations. So many have become seriously ill and millions have died -- and many of those who recover end up with "long Covid", meaning that their lungs and circulatory systems have been irreparably damaged, and they will now have serious lifelong health issues as a result. Getting fully vaxxed is much better for your health.

mac

janitor and administrator
Staff member
I'm seeing people misreading and misinterpreting the data and reaching conclusions they might not reach were they to better understand what those data are telling us.

I feel I'm pretty savvy but the overall picture is highly complex and for every conclusion one might draw I could find an argument to challenge it. We're damned if we do produce all the data and damned if we don't!

So many individuals, though, read/hear the data and statistics and misunderstand them that I can't see an obvious solution. Add to that picture the huge amount of misleading or plain false information 'out there' on the various media and what's happening now is an almost inevitable outcome.

The age we're in may be looked back at from what's presently the future with folk saying "My God, how the hell did folk ever manage to follow the situation in 2022?"

bluebird

I hope everyone here is staying well. I got my second a booster last month, so now I'm double-vaxxed and double-boosted. I still do not leave my house without wearing an N-95 mask, and I do not take it off at all outside of my house; I expect to keep doing that for at least another year, and possibly indefinitely. I also do my best to stay at least 6 feet away from everyone else, though that's more difficult these days because so many people mistakenly believe that things are back to normal and that social distancing is no longer necessary.

My sister and her husband caught covid about 2 weeks ago, despite both being double-vaxxed (my sister is also double-boosted, my BIL only single-boosted because he is not yet 50 years old, which is the requirement at the moment in order to get the second booster). Thankfully they both had mild cases and are largely recovered -- but I'm certain they caught it because they do not always wear their masks in public anymore, believing that their vaccine status mostly protects them (and certainly catching covid would probably have been much more dangerous for them had they not gotten their vaccines and boosters). In my opinion that is taking unnecessary risks, but of course they are adults and must assess for themselves the level of risk they are willing to take.

Ruby

Hi Bluebird, I hated the masks and am very relieved we don't have to wear them in UK now. The only time I need one is to visit my mother in her care home. We don't need to take a test and show the result on entry to the care home which we had to do until recently. The covid is on the rise and, for example, in our choir, there are a few cases every week. I try to push my chair back a bit to gain a bit more space as the chairs are all placed quite close together, but the required spacing apparently, but there were only twelve of us yesterday so I was asked to come closer and we were all sitting close together so we could hear our part, soprano, alto or base. I am wary of it, but this is what we had the vaccine for, and there are few in hospital on ventilators and most if not all of them will be unvaccinated. We were discussing it over coffee afterwards and some had a mild case but lingering tiredness which is a big drawback and others had a short, sharp illness which was soon over. Everyone had a different range of symptoms. Some people trace their infection to a very brief exposure and others had family members with the virus at home and they didn't even catch it.

bluebird

Hi Ruby. I don't actually like wearing a mask, either, but I think it's an essential part of avoiding catching Covid -- it's not foolproof, of course, but it does provide additional protection on top of the vaccines. I've paid no attention to when mask mandates end, since for myself I have decided to keep wearing a mask.

Covid is on the rise because (at least in part) people have stopped wearing masks. If I were a member of your choir group, I would absolutely not participate unless everyone were at least six feet apart, and while I understand that masks aren't practical when singing, I would insist everyone wear them during set-up, discussions, etc. (non-singing activities), or I would no longer attend/participate.

You're right that trying to get back to something resembling normal is why the vaccines were developed, but I find that too many people feel that it's all over now, when it is not. Of course everyone makes her/his own risk assessment and choices, but personally I see no reason to stop doing an additional thing which protects me (i.e., wearing a mask).

It is true, thankfully, that most people who are vaxxed and boosted will only get mild cases, if they get Covid at all. Still, why not continue trying to avoid it altogether, if possible? Especially given the often-permanent ill effects of long Covid.

Last edited: