Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

bluebird

Major Contributor
I hope everyone is safe and healthy, and has been able to purchase food, toilet paper, and everything else they need. I wanted to start this thread so that we can keep each other updated, hopefully alleviate some anxiety, tell stories about the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 (lol), etc.

I'm not infected, as far as I know. I do have seasonal allergies, and when I sneezed in a shop the other day I felt compelled to say "I'm not sick, I just have allergies". I've read about others doing the same.

I have plenty of food, water, and toilet paper, as do my family members. I have half a bottle of hand sanitizer, which I brought home from my desk at work. The stores around here are completely out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, bread, frozen pizza, etc. It's crazy. I normally shop at ShopRite, and two weeks ago their TP stock was a bit low, but only minorly, then a week ago they had none. I had some at home, but needed to pick up some for my Mom and my sister (two different households), so I went to Target at 8am (when they opened) and there was already a small crowd. They did have some TP, so I got that, bottled water, etc. Friday night I did my Mom's food shopping for her, as she has some health issues affecting her lungs and her immune system. My Dad lives about an hour away, but he's very self-sufficient, and he's stocked up.

So, thankfully my family and I are all fine, and hopefully stay fine.

My job has closed for two weeks, which we really didn't expect them to do, so I will be working from home. It's good and bad -- good healthwise, but I worry if I can do enough work at home to make my usual salary (part of my job at work is customer service, and of course that's not possible when I'm not AT work). I really hope the relief package passes, since the U.S. has such a horrible healthcare system -- at least getting paid for two weeks of sick pay is something, if one gets sick or has to care for a sick loved one.

So, that's my situation at the moment. Please share yours.

mac

Administrator
mine, bb? Getting by here in AZ for the moment, some food, some 'toilet rolls' as we Brits. call 'em! :D Don't know what my wife will find tomorrow morning when she goes food shopping in Walmart. We're not carrying much stock of food as we were running supplies down as we prepare to leave for home in the UK at the end of this month - if that happens.

Few planes coming from Europe or the UK to the US - and even fewer taking Americans in the opposite direction - will likely mean our scheduled flight won't go ahead because there won't be a plane to travel on. We don't know what will happen then, we don't know if we'll be able to return home in a predictable time frame, we don't know how we'd fare if we stay over. We'd have no healthcare insurance for one!

We have permission to stay in the US until May after which we'll be classed as over-staying - we'd become illegals. Without a plane we couldn't easily be booted out of course unless it were to Mexico or Canada and I doubt folk there would be keen to take us! But if we overstay Homeland Security will take a dim view and later we'll face problems when we want to return to our winter home in AZ the US - that's assuming we eventually do get back home!

I'm not sure that I want to go home anyway rather than stay here because Brits look set to be in even deeper doo-doo than us and our friends here in the US. So it's kinda different for us......;)

bluebird

Major Contributor
mac,

As far as buying supplies, if the big stores are out check smaller shops -- corner stores, bodegas, dollar stores, etc., as from what I've read, some people have had luck at those places. It's good you have some toilet rolls -- I've seen them called "bog rolls" as well; I'm guessing that's more of an Irish phrase. :)

I suspect and hope that the U.S. government will have to pass some sort of intermediate visa extension law, given the situation, or perhaps a visa overstay forgiveness program after the fact (especially with a Democrat in the White House). Anyway, overstaying a visa isn't looked upon as harshly as entering without a valid visa, even under normal/usual circumstances, and given the current extreme circumstances I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted later on.

Is the UK really doing worse than the US, as far as the virus? Even if it is, as you said, you have no insurance here. If I were you, I'd get back home if you can, where at least you have the NHS, social assistance programs, etc.

mac

Administrator
mac,

As far as buying supplies, if the big stores are out check smaller shops -- corner stores, bodegas, dollar stores, etc., as from what I've read, some people have had luck at those places. It's good you have some toilet rolls -- I've seen them called "bog rolls" as well; I'm guessing that's more of an Irish phrase. :)

Oh I call 'em bog rolls too, have done for decades but didn't think the word would be recognised over here. :D A (peat) bog is the same in Ireland or England but a bog is also a toilet/bathroom/restroom in England.

I suspect and hope that the U.S. government will have to pass some sort of intermediate visa extension law, given the situation, or perhaps a visa overstay forgiveness program after the fact (especially with a Democrat in the White House).

I hope you're right, bb, because applying for an extension of the 'permission to remain' is convoluted and spendy - been there, done it three times.

Anyway, overstaying a visa isn't looked upon as harshly as entering without a valid visa, even under normal/usual circumstances, and given the current extreme circumstances I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted later on.

You can't legally enter the US without permission. A visa enables you only to present yourself at the border and ask permission to enter - it doesn't give you permission to enter or stay. The border agent decides that by considering your application and judging the risk you'll overstay or not leave. Of course some folk get permission to stay but then don't leave by the date stamped in their passport or do things they shouldn't - such as working. Because on one occasion our leaving wasn't properly documented and recorded we were grilled when we returned months later. We were unaware (but feared) we'd been given duff advice before we flew out - by airport counter staff. It's not pleasant being taken away for further interview and having to explain to officials when you did nothing wrong in the first place - been there, done that. :( We want to do things properly first time.

Is the UK really doing worse than the US, as far as the virus?

I can't answer that but in terms of its impact the answer is at least as bad and some things will be worse. Our economy was already pressured after Brexit and now our currency is falling fast against the $US - and we buy a bunch of stuff in that denomination. Our exports will be cheaper but who's buying? And the price of imported raw materials is soaring.

Even if it is, as you said, you have no insurance here. If I were you, I'd get back home if you can, where at least you have the NHS, social assistance programs, etc.

If we can't buy an extension to our current health insurance we'd be in stuck. If we could get it we'd be under far less pressure provided we're allowed by 'INS' to stay longer. It would be a toss-up which would be better because our National Health Service was already stretched beyond its capacity (it's always that way and much worse in winter) before Covid 19 and is likely to fail big time in my view.

As a couple of old-farts we're in the higher-risk category and back in England there's already serious talk about the 'elderly' - OLD farts like us - soon being expected to self-quarantine for several months. I don't expect that to happen in the US but if it did I'd sooner do it here in AZ than in our gloomy, cold, wet, gray, cloudy UK! :D

bluebird

Major Contributor
Ugh. Well, I hope you and your wife are ok. Try not to go out much; practice the "social distancing" that's being recommended, only go out for necessary supplies, and wash your hands a lot.

mac

Administrator
Ugh. Well, I hope you and your wife are ok. Try not to go out much; practice the "social distancing" that's being recommended, only go out for necessary supplies, and wash your hands a lot.

We're both OK, thanks bb, but a little unsettled by so many changes but it's gotta be that way for many/most and they face major problems which we don't. I feel bad for them.

We'll be doing what you've suggested. Keep some distance from folk, no touching and plenty of soap and water for our hands.

A major pandemic has been expected for a long time, flu being an obvious one and a serious one like Spanish flu has been expected but this one arrived somewhat unexpectedly. Makes me wonder how this world will now change - interesting times for an observer like me......

Kurt

Major Contributor
I hope everyone is safe and healthy, and has been able to purchase food, toilet paper, and everything else they need. I wanted to start this thread so that we can keep each other updated, hopefully alleviate some anxiety, tell stories about the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 (lol), etc.

I'm not infected, as far as I know. I do have seasonal allergies, and when I sneezed in a shop the other day I felt compelled to say "I'm not sick, I just have allergies". I've read about others doing the same.

I have plenty of food, water, and toilet paper, as do my family members. I have half a bottle of hand sanitizer, which I brought home from my desk at work. The stores around here are completely out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, bread, frozen pizza, etc. It's crazy. I normally shop at ShopRite, and two weeks ago their TP stock was a bit low, but only minorly, then a week ago they had none. I had some at home, but needed to pick up some for my Mom and my sister (two different households), so I went to Target at 8am (when they opened) and there was already a small crowd. They did have some TP, so I got that, bottled water, etc. Friday night I did my Mom's food shopping for her, as she has some health issues affecting her lungs and her immune system. My Dad lives about an hour away, but he's very self-sufficient, and he's stocked up.

So, thankfully my family and I are all fine, and hopefully stay fine.

My job has closed for two weeks, which we really didn't expect them to do, so I will be working from home. It's good and bad -- good healthwise, but I worry if I can do enough work at home to make my usual salary (part of my job at work is customer service, and of course that's not possible when I'm not AT work). I really hope the relief package passes, since the U.S. has such a horrible healthcare system -- at least getting paid for two weeks of sick pay is something, if one gets sick or has to care for a sick loved one.

So, that's my situation at the moment. Please share yours.

My spring break got extended and classes may be cancelled by the end of it for this semester.

Both my jobs don't exist anymore and I put my last paycheck towards rent.

I may end up working at my girlfriends job but that may also get cancelled.

Now on to the toilet paper...

:D

The other day I was in target to buy groceries...

And I thought this whole toilet paper craze was a joke or a hoax.

I saw the bread was gone. The milk was gone? Cheese? Nowhere to be found. No meat. I got 6 pizzas for 20 dollars though and located 2 bags of tortellini and marinara so that'll have to do.

I turn around and a tidal wave of people were rushing over and I thought I was gonna get stampeded before they all turned into a aisle full of toilet paper.

I went over thinking what in the world?

It was all gone in 30 seconds and there were two women fighting over a 16 roll and both were fighting as of the other had seduced their boyfriend of 15 years.

It was ridiculous. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Luckily I got a 16 roll before the everyday man found out about Coronavirus

(I have a news feed that included the Hong Kong protests and I remember seeing reports of a novel flu virus getting out of control late last year. I initially thought the CCP released it to break up protests but now it's looking like they tested it on bats* and one of the workers sold the animals in a meat market.)

* - It's been confirmed that Coronavirus is a bioweapon that got released.

Coronavirus link to China biowarfare program possible, analyst says

Kurt

Major Contributor
Sometime tomorrow I'll upload some videos from Wuhan to my YouTube channel so you guys can see them.

The actual videos from Wuhan are extremely disturbing.

The entire city is blacked out and you hear nothing but screaming, people are being cremated alive... The blocks are pitch black and hazmat guys are taking people away in their sleep, people are being bricked into their homes

Someone took trump a bit too seriously when he said build a wall around em and make it tall!! :D

This woman gets kidnapped in broad daylight and shoved into a car screaming by hazmat guys

It's extremely disturbing stuff but you wont see it on the news.

I love you guys so I want you to have the real news and not the Xi approved propoganda. I don't expect CNN or MSLSD to show anything real either but people need to know how bad this is.

It's also been confirmed that only 5% of deaths are reported from China and there's evidence to suggest that 1000000 were infected in December.

mac

Administrator
My wife pointed out to me that she'll not be expected to self-isolate because she's not 70 yet! Just us old farts over 70 who will be expected to stay away from everything so we don't get infected and won't then need respirating when our flabby lungs give up on us. It's a grand thing to look forward to as spring gets going! :D

It looks like soon becoming a grim year globally. :(

bluebird

Major Contributor
Kurt,

Sorry about your jobs. A lot of people are in similar positions. Do you have any savings you could live on for a while, or can your girlfriend pay your bills until you can get a job?

So far everyone I've seen in the stores has been nice, but I know that in some places people are fighting, as you described. Crises certainly bring out both the best and the worst in humanity.

jobun

Occasional Contributor
I am fortunate right now to have everything I need which I have had since way before any illnesses. Stuff that I got when it was on sale, that I purchased and put away for a rainy day. Anyway, in my neck of the woods, all paper products are wiped out of my supermarkets, I saw a few paper plates, that was it. most of the bread was gone - loaves, but the fresh baked bread was still available, so I got some Italian loaves and some Kaiser rolls. I also managed to get some hamburger & hotdog rolls (I have burgers and dogs in my freezer). Milk and eggs were available which was funny because they are usually the first things to go in mad snowstorm times....LOL. and of course most cleaning products are gone, hand sanitizers, Lysol wipes etc. I already have that stuff in my house because I clean my home regularly and not just because a virus has surfaced. ;) I am a little on the risky side because I have respiratory issues, and my mom is elderly - but in fairly decent health so we're being cautious when going to the market and we've got pretty good stock with food. Water is a little scarce, but our tap water will do if we must.... LOL. My job has us working remotely for the next two weeks and I'm already stir crazy. urgh….. otherwise I'm using common sense and keeping it real. I hope everyone else will be ok too and that this virus passes quickly.

jobun

Occasional Contributor
oh, and I hope my hand sanitizer will still be on my desk at work when I finally get back...LOL

mac

Administrator
It's an important point that tapwater - water out of your cold water tap/faucet - is biologically safe even if it's flavour may not be the best. Our desert water, for example, tastes foul directly or in tea but is safe to drink. Few need to buy bottled water unless they have a health condition that mandates it. Perhaps this crisis will start the process of ditching the absurd amount of water shipped around the country and the absurd number of plastic bottles going into landfill??? I hope.....

My wife and I have just been listening to our BBC news at home and also watching the CBS news in the USA. The sooner that grocery stores/supermarkets ration how much of water, bog rolls, sanitisers etc. the sooner the situation will stabilise. Neither the UK nor the USA are short of food and non-consumables but panic buying creates the very situation folk are afraid of.

Sadly those panicky individuals won't heed requests for sensible buying so they need to be made to do it. The sooner the better......

mac

Administrator
Listening to a guy in the UK this morning (AZ) he reckons this virus pandemic will signal a change in the way this world will work in times to come. He thinks historians of the future will refer to the world BC and the world AC - before corona virus and after corona virus.

bluebird

Major Contributor
jobun,

I'm glad you're stocked up and doing well. I actually brought my desktop hand sanitizer home with me from work, lol.

We're work at home for two weeks (at this point) as well; today is day 2 for me, and it's actually going surprisingly well. Im Im sure I'll get bored, but my commute is normally 1.5 hours each way, so it's nice not to have to do 3 hours of commuting each day -- when I finish work, I just go make dinner or take a shower or whatever, lol. Also I'm saving about $200 in gas and $100 in tolls over the course of the two weeks, plus the wear & tear on my car.

Anyway, I hope you and your Mom stay healthy and well. Just go out as little as possible (easy for you, since you have stuff at home), and wash/sanitize your hands a lot.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Listening to a guy in the UK this morning (AZ) he reckons this virus pandemic will signal a change in the way this world will work in times to come. He thinks historians of the future will refer to the world BC and the world AC - before corona virus and after corona virus.
Wow. Yeah, he's probably right. Hopefully this is also what finally pushes the U.S. into universal healthcare, like the rest of the first world countries.

mac

Administrator
jobun,

I'm glad you're stocked up and doing well. I actually brought my desktop hand sanitizer home with me from work, lol.

We're work at home for two weeks (at this point) as well; today is day 2 for me, and it's actually going surprisingly well. Im Im sure I'll get bored, but my commute is normally 1.5 hours each way, so it's nice not to have to do 3 hours of commuting each day -- when I finish work, I just go make dinner or take a shower or whatever, lol. Also I'm saving about $200 in gas and $100 in tolls over the course of the two weeks, plus the wear & tear on my car.

Anyway, I hope you and your Mom stay healthy and well. Just go out as little as possible (easy for you, since you have stuff at home), and wash/sanitize your hands a lot.

It's an interesting aspect about working from home. For years it's been a hit-and-miss situation but I wonder if in the coming future employers will realise there are reasons to enable and encourage their staff to consider working from home. Just look at the horrible commute you're not having to do presently, bb, and the huge savings you're making along with your producing no pollution when your car is parked.

mac

Administrator
Wow. Yeah, he's probably right. Hopefully this is also what finally pushes the U.S. into universal healthcare, like the rest of the first world countries.
It would be a nice outcome - the best of your healthcare system and the best of ours would be a great starting point to build both systems up from. :)

bluebird

Major Contributor
It's an interesting aspect about working from home. For years it's been a hit-and-miss situation but I wonder if in the coming future employers will realise there are reasons to enable and encourage their staff to consider working from home. Just look at the horrible commute you're not having to do presently, bb, and the huge savings you're making along with your producing no pollution when your car is parked.
Agreed. Plus about 50% of my work is stuff that I can actually do better from home. I currently work four days a week, and I'd like to do two days from home from now on, though I don't know if that will be allowed once (if) things get back to normal.

bluebird

Major Contributor
It would be a nice outcome - the best of your healthcare system and the best of ours would be a great starting point to build both systems up from. :)
Our (U.S.) healthcare system has some wonderful doctors and nurses, and some great research is being done, but the system itself is beyond broken, and needs to be changed.

Monika

Hej. It seems to be calm where i live. I dont read news so i might be not very well informed. Anyway everything is working for now, shops has everything you might want to buy. Just less tourists.
Crazy much snow here. Beautiful winter :)

Monika

I hope your own country won't be affected, Monika, if it isn't already.
In Lithuania it is quarantine, country is completely closed. Also borders are closed and Lithuanians from other countries are being brought home mostly by military and some of them are infected with virus. But due to strict rules until now there is just 1 who got infected inside the country plus 1 doctor who works with those who are sick with this virus and 39 who came back from other countries.
And it seems to be hard economically this quarantine as small businesses are already bankrupting. :(

mac

Administrator
In Lithuania it is quarantine, country is completely closed. Also borders are closed and Lithuanians from other countries are being brought home mostly by military and some of them are infected with virus. But due to strict rules until now there is just 1 who got infected inside the country plus 1 doctor who works with those who are sick with this virus and 39 who came back from other countries.
And it seems to be hard economically this quarantine as small businesses are already bankrupting. :(
I'm confused - where do you live - I thought you were in Sweden yet you're talking about Lithuania? o_Oo_Oo_O

mac

Administrator
The UK's lunchtime BBC news today reported that our scientists have predicted that present social isolation measures will be necessary for maybe the next year to prevent our health services being overwhelmed with critically ill patients. That's already happened in Italy and looks likely in Spain. Who knows which other countries' health services will succumb next - the USA is just as likely to struggle. :(

Here on ALF we consider afterlife issues and the way this crisis is going there will be many, many deaths and we may see many, many new seekers looking for answers about where their loved ones have gone. :(

mac

Administrator
Each and every individual will soon be facing their own, personal problems and we all will share similar problems such as shortages brought about by panicking individuals bulk-buying staples. There is no shortage of anything in the USA yet some shelves are empty because some folk are fearful they will not have what they need and have over-bought to an absurd degree. Nothing short of enforced purchasing limits will stop their behavior.

Monika

I'm confused - where do you live - I thought you were in Sweden yet you're talking about Lithuania? o_Oo_Oo_O
I live in Sweden, moved here 3 years ago, but my parents are in Lithuania. Thats why i know more about there than here. I keep contact with them daily :)

mac

Administrator
I live in Sweden, moved here 3 years ago, but my parents are in Lithuania. Thats why i know more about there than here. I keep contact with them daily :)
ah - I see now....

We keep in contact with events in the UK via the BBC news online. It's our lifeline as to what is going on there.

Ruby

Significant Contributor
I can never remember the order of the Baltic states, but my husband has just said they are in alphabetical order north to south: Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania.

kirolak

Occasional Contributor
Just to add my good wishes to all other members . . . be strong & safe. In my native country things are going badly ; but here in Africa they seem to have made a good move to close everything down really early to control the curve.

mac

Administrator
Just to add my good wishes to all other members . . . be strong & safe. In my native country things are going badly ; but here in Africa they seem to have made a good move to close everything down really early to control the curve.
Which is your native country?

Flossie

Occasional Contributor
Hi everyone - I have just been reading through all of your posts on the corona virus.

I am in Derbyshire UK.

My hubby has COPD so he is in isolation for 12 weeks. I am sure it will be longer but this is the initial requirement for those at higher risk. I have put myself in isolation with him as otherwise it would mean us keeping 2 metres apart at all times. Not being in smaller rooms at the same time and the list goes on. I also need to help him with some medications so it's not practical. It's easier and less stressful to isolate with him. We are getting online shops and we have family and friends living nearby who help keep us stocked with what we need too. So we are in a better position than most.

Just before the lock down I was still going to the shops. It was crazy. No loo rolls in the shops for over a week and when they were put out they were gone within minutes. Luckily we had some stock before this so with the help of family and friends they kept picking them up here and there. It was madness trying to get hand soaps and gels too.

It's difficult not seeing our children and grandchildren but so long as we all stay safe it's a small price to pay. We keep face timing and have even had a couple of quiz games whilst face timing. It's our daughter's 40th birthday on Sunday so the family are having a face time session to sing happy birthday. We also did this for my 7 years old granddaughter a few weeks ago. It's all very strange.

Stay safe everyone!

mac

Administrator
I'm in Nottinghamshire, East Midlands, England, UK

Here I'm isolating myself as much as possible other than grocery shopping while my wife was severely ill with shingles. One of us has to do the shopping or we'd starve but I should stay away from public places as much as possible 'cos at 73 I'm an old fart hence at higher risk from contracting Covid 19.

ASDA, Tesco, Morrisons and Aldi are well stocked but we face long queues (waits in line) because customer numbers are being restricted. I think the small number of customers allowed in some stores is ott resulting in 45 minutes waits in line, the queues snaking around the car park/parking lots. We didn't face such restrictions in Frys, Safeway and Walmart yet with awareness ad care we could still keep the 'safe' distance from one another. Panic buying seems to have stopped although some items may still be hard to find and choice is somewhat limited.

Our daughter is several weeks into an advised 12 week lockdown because her partner is at high risk. Fortunately both can work from home but being 'at home' for them is a small flat/apartment 3 floors up. I can go outdoors in my garden and run or walk on nearby trails or on sidewalks/pavements. Compared with many we've got it with jam on and are appreciative of that situation. The UK is locked down for a further 3 week period and that could be extended again.

I fear for folk's health and welfare if things stretch on much further into the future. :( Stay well, keep your spirits up, hope for the best but prepare for something less.....

I doubt it's medically approved but I find Budweiser, gin and other tipples help with boredom and stress. ;)

jobun

Occasional Contributor
jobun,

LOL bluebird. I didn't bring my sanitizer home because we were supposed to be testing the remote system on Friday March 13, and I worked from home that day. by the end of the day we rec'd messages that we were to stay home for two weeks, which was then extended to the end of April, and now we're probably going to be extended until May 15. I have left my house exactly 5 times to go to the stores for supplies, and my mom had to pick up some meds. I've rescheduled my Dr appts. (I had a f/u with my ENT, that can wait). My mom has a f/u with her urologist that she is also going to postpone because she is supposed to have blood work done and she never made the appt with her primary.

I am so bored out of my mind right now, but I do have everything I need at home to ride this out. I was trying to be optimistic and hope we're going to be ok by mother's day, because I didn't have my mom over for Easter, mainly because of the social distancing - I couldn't invite my siblings, and we didn't really celebrate Easter - but her birthday and mother's day are around the same time and I usually have something for her to celebrate both. I'm a little leary of inviting my brother over because he's an essential worker (works in the supermarkets) and has been working the whole time. I don't think he's sick or anything but I'd rather not take the chance. My mom will be 85 in May.

jobun

Occasional Contributor

fun fact: I am 1/4 Lithuanian, on my maternal grandmother's side. I'm not sure if she still had family there, but I hope your parents are staying well.

mac

Administrator
This is one thread I expected there'd be some interest in - not the first time I've been wrong!

Usually folk like to talk about themselves and/or grumble but even about this topic folk seem reluctant to put cyber pen to paper. Oh, sure, I realise that grumbling won't change anything but that doesn't generally stop folk grumbling!

So what's the deal? o_O:confused:

bluebird

Major Contributor
LOL bluebird. I didn't bring my sanitizer home because we were supposed to be testing the remote system on Friday March 13, and I worked from home that day. by the end of the day we rec'd messages that we were to stay home for two weeks, which was then extended to the end of April, and now we're probably going to be extended until May 15. I have left my house exactly 5 times to go to the stores for supplies, and my mom had to pick up some meds. I've rescheduled my Dr appts. (I had a f/u with my ENT, that can wait). My mom has a f/u with her urologist that she is also going to postpone because she is supposed to have blood work done and she never made the appt with her primary.

I am so bored out of my mind right now, but I do have everything I need at home to ride this out. I was trying to be optimistic and hope we're going to be ok by mother's day, because I didn't have my mom over for Easter, mainly because of the social distancing - I couldn't invite my siblings, and we didn't really celebrate Easter - but her birthday and mother's day are around the same time and I usually have something for her to celebrate both. I'm a little leary of inviting my brother over because he's an essential worker (works in the supermarkets) and has been working the whole time. I don't think he's sick or anything but I'd rather not take the chance. My mom will be 85 in May.

Yeah, I'm still home as well. I'm not sure when my job will open up again, but it's not an essential service, so I'm guessing maybe not until June. Luckily for me I can do quite a bit of my work from home, and in any case my employer has guaranteed to pay everyone a minimum of 4 hours per day for each day they normally work, and then if they actually work more than that they get paid for more than that. I've been working 7 hours a day. Hopefully that continues, but if not then I can always apply for unemployment, but I'd rather it not come to that.

I've done food shopping only twice since this all started (for both my Mom and I, both times). I'll have to go again in a couple of weeks. I don't really do doctors, so that's not an issue for me, and my Mom's standard doc visits (not emergencies, thankfully) have been cancelled for the time being. I'm glad you and your Mom are doing well. It's a good idea for your brother not to be around your Mom, given his job. It is a bit boring, all this staying home, but honestly for me it's not that different than how my life has been since my husband died anyway, since I have preferred to just isolate at home since he died.

Kurt

Major Contributor
This Coronavirus has been a dumpster fire all around for me. I'll go more in depth later but it literally ruined my relationship, my x's entire life, (no joke. its completely and so far as i can tell irreversibly ruined) my jobs and has nearly tanked my entire school semester (I have somehow managed to yet again pull a hail mary styled recovery but I'm not out of the clear yet...) not to mention my finances.

Despite this I'd still say it's been a great learning experience for me and I think that when it's all said and done ill be a better person for it... Although ATM i'm still having to deal with the chaos it's causing. I really hope it doesn't get any worse...

jobun

Occasional Contributor
Hi just wanted to check in, haven't been here in a while... still on lockdown or rather working from home - my state is starting to open up some things like beaches & churches and expanded group gatherings to no more than 10 with social distancing.
it's been a tough couple of months... or is it years not, I can't tell sometimes.... LOL.... but hopefully - yes mac, I'm still trying to be optimistic ;) we'll be going back to the office soon. I haven't heard of any extensions to stay home from work past May 31, so far, so crossing everything that can be crossed, and praying that we can safely return to the office in June. I have been fortunate that I have the opportunity to work at home, but man, I really really really need a change of scenery, and social interaction with real people, not computer zoomed ones....lol. I miss my work peeps.... I do think we're pretty much past the peak now, and our curve has flattened so let's start getting back to our basic freedoms....

mac

Administrator
All we can do is hope that infection rates don't take off again with our medical staff - your side of the pond as much as ours - under more of the pressure that's taken its toll on their mental and physical health. Many are jaded and drained after countless days of flat-out nursing under the most demanding conditions. :(

bluebird

Major Contributor
For me, it's kind of the opposite situation from what jobun is experiencing/describing -- I do not want my workplace to open up again anytime soon, I'm terrified of it doing so (in part, we deal with the public, a lot of them). I've been lucky, in that I've been able to work from home since we shut down here (so since mid-March), at only around 4 hours per week less than usual, so I'm still making most of my paycheck. Plus, I normally drive 1.5 hours to get to work, so a 3 hour round-trip commute, so I'm saving about $100 per month in gas, which helps to offset the very slightly reduced hours. Quite honestly, I'm getting a lot more of my real work done while at home, since I have fewer interruptions, no clients/customers to deal with, and no stopping to chat with coworkers (aside from the occasional e-mail). I don't anticipate my workplace opening up again before mid-June, at the very earliest, and I hope it doesn't open until later than that. I honestly don't think we should open up until the summer is over (spring and summer are normally our busy season). I know that quarantine is hard for a lot of people, but it's easier than death.

It has been hard on me as well, as I normally go over to my sister's four nights a week for dinner and binge-watching our shows, and I haven't been able to do that. My BIL is still going to work, so I'm afraid to spend time in their house, though I have gone over and spent time with them out in their backyard a few times, which was good. I also haven't been able to go to the thrift shop for two months, whereas I normally go twice a week (I enjoy it, always have, plus it functions as a kind of therapy for me). I've been doing the food shopping once a month, for both my mother (who is somewhat immunocompromised) and myself, whereas normally I would do it around twice a month. As a result, each shopping trip is huge -- I go and do hers, drop off her stuff to her, then go back and do mine. I limit my trips out altogether, so if I have to go to the bank or the post office or the like, I do it on the same day I do the food shopping. As a result of all this, plus how much longer it takes everywhere due to the "stay 6 feet apart rule" and everything else, each time I do the food shopping (etc.), it's a 6 or 7 hour production. Not easy, but necessary, and better than making multiple trips out -- the fewer times I leave my house, the less likely I am to be exposed to COVID-19.

I know that for me there are two specific things which factor in to my response to this crisis, aside from all the usual stuff that's affecting everyone. One is that I have anxiety/panic disorder and OCD, both of which are being seriously exacerbated by the pandemic (the fact that I have some physical risk factors doesn't help). The other is that I have intentionally isolated myself as much as possible since my husband died, so while the current quarantine is kind of an extreme version of that, it's not as different or difficult for me as it may be for many people who are much more social, as it's not that much of a change for me.

mac

Administrator
Working from home for some of the time for some individuals is one potential longer-term benefits from a situation which doesn't appear to have many positives. It's to be hoped that those who would like to work that way get the chance. It's something that can be properly evaluated once we get back to something closer to how it was BC. There are clear benefits in terms of not having to commute and less pollution as a consequence.

Bizarrely right now in the UK workers returning to their jobs are being encouraged NOT to travel by public transport and encouraged to walk or cycle to work! Imagine doing that in the US - it's a big enough problem in my tiny country let alone in a huge one. The days of living close enough to places of work to walk or cycle there belong to earlier times. Many have no choice, and may never have had a choice, about how they travel to work.

How practical cycling is depends on distance, weather and roads. Few are likely to be able to walk I'd guess.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Agreed, mac. I suspect that I will have to find a different job, though, if I prefer to keep working from home on a long-term basis. I don't think my current employer would go for it. You're correct about the commuting, too -- in the U.S. it would simply be impossible for everyone to get to work via walking or biking.

mac

Administrator
Agreed, mac. I suspect that I will have to find a different job, though, if I prefer to keep working from home on a long-term basis. I don't think my current employer would go for it. You're correct about the commuting, too -- in the U.S. it would simply be impossible for everyone to get to work via walking or biking.

In the UK we're now facing increased volumes of city/town commuter road traffic at the very time we've been working hard to reduce it. It's mostly because of traffic fume pollution, the effects of particulate and oxides of nitrogen on breathing which are particularly dangerous to children and those already suffering with breathing issues.

jobun

Occasional Contributor
checking back in. Still working from home. they now expect us to return after labor day. we've been slowly reopening, but I haven't really done much because the information they are providing regarding new cases, etc is very misleading. one day we're doing great, 5 minutes later it's a disaster... ugh. between that, and all the unrest going on right now, I don't really want to go out much. My mom has been having some issues, and while I want to expand our shopping time, I have to consider her physical well being. she is 85 years old. I get her out of the house once a week for supplies and meds etc. We've been pretty diligent in keeping up with the mask mandate and sanitizer and stuff. I floated the idea last week of maybe venturing out a little further, like going to Walmart and she was open to it but we ended up postponing it last weekend because we're also in a heatwave right now and dealing with the heat and a mask just isn't a great idea at the moment. I have developed a slight bit of vertigo, and I have respiratory issues (chronic sinusitis) that also hamper me with the mask use. I sometimes feel like this is never going to end, that we're going to be living like this forever. I can't. I just can't anymore....

Ruby

Significant Contributor
I do sympathise jobun, life sounds very difficult. I hadn't thought about the effect that heat would have. It's cool and raining here. My mother is in her late eighties and is in a very good expensive care home as she's gone very cheerfully dotty and my father died three years ago. We've just sold her flat and have all their things around us as the charity shops are still closed. We have the same hysteria going on here in the UK and polarisation of politics and social media fights. It does nothing for the spirits at all, does it?

bluebird

Major Contributor
It's insane that some people in the U.S. refuse to wear masks -- they are simply idiots, period (I don't mean those who can't for health reasons, I mean those who disbelieve the medical experts regarding the efficacy of masks to prevent the spread of Covid, those who feel it's infringing on their personal freedoms, and those who view it as a political statement. Although I do think that people who can't wear masks for medical reasons should stay home as much as possible -- for them, as for the idiots who simply refuse to wear masks for completely invalid and asinine reasons, getting Covid would be infinitely more uncomfortable and painful, as would having to wear a ventilator). It is, in large part, because of those idiots that the U.S. is in its current dire circumstance regarding the virus.

As for me, my work opened up again in mid-June, though I only have to go in once a week, and the rest of the time I'm still working from home (and I honestly am able to get much more work done at home). All customers are supposed to wear masks at all times, and most do, but for those who don't I have no qualms about enforcing the mask wearing. When I go to work, I put on my mask and gloves before leaving my car, and don't remove the mask until I am back in my car at the end of the day (I change my gloves once or twice during the day, depending on how much I've had to touch stuff, and remove and toss out the last pair in the parking lot just before entering my car). I will not take off my mask outside my home, so that means I don't eat or drink anything during my 7 to 8 hour workday. I leave my office as little as possible, so as not to have to be anywhere near customers.

I still barely leave my house -- work once a week, doctors appointments when necessary, grocery shopping for me and my Mom when necessary (about once every four to five weeks; between her stuff and mine, unloading her stuff at her house, etc., each trip takes about 5 hours, but allows me to minimize the number of trips to the store and thus the number of people to whom I may be exposed), a couple of necessary trips to the bank, the very occasional visit to my sister's house (outside, distanced, and I wear a mask) maybe 4 visits since this all started.

That's it. No clothes shopping or other non-grocery shopping. No restaurants. No trips to the thrift shop, which I did twice a week pre-corona, and which I love doing. I am basically just in my house as much as possible. I know this isolation is somewhat easier for me than it is for many people, because I've essentially been self-isolating anyway since my husband died, though not to this extent, so while it's still a big change, it's not AS big a lifestyle change for me as it is for many. Nonetheless, it is what everyone in the U.S. should be doing, to the extent that they can (I know people are in different situations, and with the horrible lack of government support via social programs in this country, as well as the tragedy of so many being so poor and working crap jobs which they would lose if they didn't show up for work, etc., not everyone can isolate to the same degree).

So many other countries are handling this pandemic so much better than the U.S. -- medically, socially, politically, and in terms of providing assistance to their citizens. Because of that, and because I am American, I am mostly only commenting on the U.S. response, and on my personal situation.

But the fact is that this IS the way life is now, at least for the foreseeable future. If a viable vaccine is produced and distributed, if certain members of the U.S. government remove their heads from their posteriors, if those people living in the U.S. who are stupid enough to not wear masks and distance start doing so, then maybe things will change. I hope they do.

Last edited:

mac

Administrator
Here in the UK it's a mixed picture. Face coverings are already required on public transport (we use a lot of buses and trains) and from Friday this week will be required in shops.

I'm very much in favor of our wearing masks when we're closer to others than we'd prefer - and probably they'd prefer - to be. Not because we're protected by our masks (unless they're medical grade and we use them as they would be in clinical situations) but because we each help protect others when we wear our own. That's a message that may take some ramming home - that of civic duty, helping protect our neighbors. Then of course we have similar stupidity where gangs of brain-deads gather to party like it's 1999 or even 2019. Remember just over 6 months ago when this world was very different?

From the earliest of days I saw no logic in not encouraging us to wear mouth/face covers when situations indicate we ought but conversely there's little point wearing one when there's no benefit. The daftest things I saw was a fellow runner wearing one as he ran towards me on a near-empty dirt road. He and I were 15 feet apart at the closest and it seemed over-the-top behavior.

I've been monitoring the situation in my winter home - well formerly it was - of the USA and comparing that with what happens here. To my mind some states have sometimes been too early lifting restrictions and in my 'home town' in AZ there's been a major infection spike. That doesn't bode well for me next winter! It looks similar in parts of neighboring CA where I have friends. I'm aware of problems in other states too and overall in the US things look none too good.

Realistically we'll need to make long-term adjustments to our way of life. Hugging and touching when greeting will be a treat in particular circumstances only. Informal social gatherings may be equally uncommon. Those with medical conditions putting them at higher risk may have to get used to a future similar to the way things have been these past few months, effectively continuing to socially isolate themselves.

I find it very disheartening but until something changes to make pandemics generally - not just Covid 19 - less of a risk then we'll be stuck in the present situation for some time to come I fear. In a similar way to my fear for Modern Spiritualism's relevance in future, I just hope I'm wrong. :(

mac

Administrator
I'm getting daily Yahoo updates on what's happening in the USA during this pandemic situation. As with many other issues I've observed over my past 15 years in the US there are many similarities to the situation in the UK.

We're not doing that well either. We have similar problems or rather have had some of the ones you're seeing in the US right now - hospital services near to the maximum and medical staff stretched beyond what we should expect. We've been there but thankfully things have eased somewhat although we're far from out of the woods.

There's the same concern for our citizenry's reactions to what they're being expected to do. Most of us are trying our best to do the right thing' but there's the usual quota of ass-holes who are determined not to have 'their freedom' restricted by national (read 'federal') rules. Care homes and the mentally and socially disadvantaged need more resources and attention. We have the same issues with infection levels in ethnic communities. This is proving a toughie to legislate for and we're in for a rough winter, I fear, with 2021 seeing little relief from the pressures - alway assuming things don't become much worse.

Some nations have done better. Some nations were doing better but have slipped. Some are in dire straits. Spiritually if there were ever a time when we should all work together then this is the time. I doubt that will happen though, and although we'll survive these times it might be interesting to look back in a year or two's time and maybe mourn together some of the simple things we have lost, maybe lost forever. :(

bluebird

Major Contributor
mac,

But you don't have as many idiots who refuse to wear masks, as far as I can tell. I do believe that the world is permanently changed -- not that the way it was before was so good, but I don't think we'll ever get back to it.

mac

Administrator
mac,

But you don't have as many idiots who refuse to wear masks, as far as I can tell. I do believe that the world is permanently changed -- not that the way it was before was so good, but I don't think we'll ever get back to it.
I hope us Brits do show more common sense than appears the case in parts of the US but for the immediate moment, bb, there hasn't been any requirement for wearing face coverings other than in a pretty limited range of places. Literally hours ago new requirements have been introduced so we'll see how our citizenry responds from hereon in.

I do think it will be a time before things settle to a new rythmn with new patterns of behavior becoming established but eventually we'll be able to see what's been lost, perhaps permanently. Freedoms we rarely ever thought about - being able to hug, kiss, shake hands, mix together closely etc. - look likely to continue to be restricted if not lost for good. Others will become more obvious as we head into a very uncertain future. There's a very real risk of precaution fatigue leading to complacency but the consequent resurgence of new infections will again focus thoughts.

Maybe we'll soon start talking as a professor forecast early on in the outbreak some months ago. BC - Before Covid 19 - becoming a new datum. This world changed forever after it......:(

bluebird

Major Contributor
I thought the UK was requiring face masks in most locations, but evidently I was wrong in that regard. Still, at least your citizens don't view wearing a mask as a "political statement", in the way that some Americans do.

I agree with the things you said in your post. the fatigue you mentioned has already led to complacency by some in the US, and the resurgance of infection is currently taking place. We never finished the "first wave"; instead, due to stupidity, we are being hit with wave after wave. I live in the Northeastern US, and while this area was one of the first and hardest hit, we are doing ok now -- not great, but ok -- because of the way our Governors have and are dealing with this pandemic (which is not to say we don't still have some idiot citizens, unfortunately).

I have already been hearing "pre-COVID", "BC", and "before plague" quite a bit; I think these phrases have already become part of the vernacular, and will remain so.

mac

Administrator
Our face covering situation is a developing one, bb. It's still not certain how well we'll respond to the requests, requirement, recommendations, laws concerning face coverings but thus far you're right that it's been politicised to any great degree. It's going to be interesting, I think, to see if/how it affects us in the coming winter.

Every fall us oldies are encouraged to get 'flu shots - they're free for certain age groups and some medical ones too. There's going to be a big push in the UK this fall to get more folks vaccinated against flu, those over 50 for example. There's great concern about the similarity of early symptoms between seasonal flu and Covid 19 and we're taking precautions to try to avoid our free healthcare system being overwhelmed in winter.

Our NHS is always under extreme pressure in the winter anyway and all resources are generally overstretched with Accident and Emergency Services (ER) being especially badly hit as old folk become sick and have to be ambulanced in. The ambulance service is stretched beyond breaking point routinely at peak times and a bad outbreak of seasonal flu - along with a new spike in Covid 19 infections - could overwhelm our hospitals, especially if medical staff are also badly affected and socially isolating. (I understand even the hospitals in the US are becoming overwhelmed in certain states but I'm not aware of the national picture.)

It would be great to find that routinely wearing face coverings helps to also reduce the spread of flu and/or viral colds and other infections. I can't see why it wouldn't help because these infections are also spread by coughing and sneezing. In the far east it's normal and totally expected that folk to wear masks and maybe wearing our own surgical-grade masks could protect us even more. There was a shortage of those earlier but the supply chain should have been restored by next winter. Only if enough folk wear face coverings or commercial masks in the months ahead will we get to see if they make a significant difference. Even now there's a reluctance in the UK to fully endorse the value of wearing masks.

A new phenomenon has been identified recently in the UK and presumably elsewhere - the effect of obesity on the outcome of a Covid 19 infection. It's been found that the obese are much more at risk from Covid 19 and I'm sure I don't need to point out how that might greatly impact the US. It's similar in the UK where obesity has become a major and growing problem. Perhaps - just perhaps - it might encourage the severely overweight citizens of both nations to try to deal with their weight where other approaches - and threats of ill health - have failed?

mac

Administrator
Over the past weekend we Brits have been dismayed to hear that travellers from Spain - returning vacationers - will have to isolate / quarantine for 14 days after return to the UK. This is a response to a significant spike in infection rates in certain parts of the Spanish mainland and it appears that this time 'quarantine' will imply more restrictive expectations from the lock-down of these travellers.

The significance of this may not be apparent to North Americans but Spain, the Balearic Islands and the Canary Islands are important holiday destinations for us sun-starved Brits and holiday companies and airlines handle many thousands of holidaymakers ('vacationers') heading into these regions. These latest restrictions now threaten the viability of the travel-trade that only recently, tentatively opened up its commercial operations after four months.

It's not just that folk now are unsure if they'll dare to take summer holidays in the regular Spanish coastal resorts (along with many other regions and other coastal resorts in Europe) but thousands of jobs associated with holiday travel are again under threat, including the jobs of thousands of European hospitality industry workers. Although Britain will finally part company with the European Union at the end of this year our economy and those of our European friends, allies and trading partners are inextricably linked. If Britain sneezes much of Europe will catch our cold.

There could hardly be a worse time for the UK to be breaking from the European Union after four decades of ever-closer relationships; worse for us and worse for them.

Last edited:

bluebird

Major Contributor
I agree with your view on Brexit, mac. Regarding holidays, I honestly don't understand why anyone -- in Britain, the U.S., or anywhere else -- would even think that they would be going on holiday this year. We are in the middle of a pandemic -- we are essentially in a survival scenario/situation, and things like holidays simply aren't important (aside from the employment of hospitality industry workers, which is a sad situation).

It sucks, but people just have to get used to the idea that life and the world has changed, at least for now and for the immediately foreseeable future (probably for at least another year), and they simply will not be able to do many of the things they normally do -- going on holiday, eating at restaurants, going to bars/clubs, having parties, etc.

Maybe I take this further than most, but as far as I'm concerned everyone should stay the hell home as much as is humanly possible. Go to work/office only if you have to, go only to absolutely necessary doctors appointments, go to the grocery store only every 4 to 5 weeks or as far as you can stretch it, etc. And wear your damn mask every time you go out, for the entire duration of the time you are out. [This semi-diatribe is not directed at you, mac, but to the "universal you".]

mac

Administrator
My wife and I have just - 10 am Tuesday morning as I'm writing - been saying much the same as you, bb, in terms of vacations/holidays.

This is still a pandemic situation and new infection break-outs are inevitable. We as a nation have to accept that ordinary life will be very different and some things may have to stop, maybe forever. But it's going to take a while longer for folk to accept the impacts of these longer-term situations and the effects they will have on their everyday lives. This will be the foreseeable future and that future can't be foreseen very far at all.

On our breakfast TV news coverage early today has been dicussed again the current situation, government ministers explaining their rationale for the latest restrictions which now include travel to and from all the Spanish islands. The situation in France and Germany is also being talked about as potential essential-only travel areas.

Compared with the way things were late spring the overall domestic situation is immeasurably better now. We don't lock ourselves away as much as you, bb, but we do try to keep our distance from others as much as we find reasonable. We are old farts and don't have to work but I'm aware of the changed and still-changing situation for those who do and especially for those who are facing the loss of their jobs or have already lost them because of the pandemic.

There is no single pattern of behavior that's right or even desirable for everyone but there are definitely some behaviors that are plain wrong and totally bonkers. You're left wondering what's between the ears of some of the idiots you see and hear about. The remaining months of this year look set to be as challenging as the earlier ones were.

God help us all! :D

mac

Administrator
Well into August and new outbreaks are occurring widely. A few countries appear to be on top of things whereas others who were once on top are slipping backwards. On a personal level I'm beginning to register that certain behaviors will have to be the norm for some time. It's not that I wasn't aware of changes but now they're being consolidated to the point that it looks unlikely there can be a move to something closer to the way it once was.

The wearing of face coverings much more generally is becoming more accepted albeit with the ass-for-brains brigade who will rail at all impositions on 'their liberty'. In time there will be more ways to deal effectively with their intransigence.

At the same time bizarre behaviors are evident from those seemingly trying to follow guidance and rules. Some wear mouth coverings but leave their noses. Others walk in the countryside by themselves but sport face coverings. Isolated pedestrians make exaggerated movements to stay away from other isolated pedestrians, one or both wearing face coverings out in the open air. Well-meaning beauty therapists wear visors but without anything covering their mouths and noses.

Here in the UK local lock-down is becoming more common, towns and cities returning to the way it was in March and April. In Victoria, Australia it's similar. We watch the reports on TV but it has less of the impact it used to have; we're used to it and even half-expect it. New procedures in hospitals have become established. Care homes remain a problem as does effective track-and-trace systems, something vital in the battle against this virus.

Schools are due to return mid August thru Labor Day, still with massive uncertainty how it will work. Grade awards have just arrived for students in Scotland, all based on school work, a system dumped a few years ago. These results determine university entrance with potentially consequential negative impacts on the employment expectations of these young women and men.

I'm coming to terms with life having changed forever - that's a big change. Perhaps I'm just slow and should have accepted it earlier but I expect many others won't have come to terms with it either.

one-light

Occasional Contributor
I spent 50 yrs of my life getting every cold/flu going it seemed - bugs came around, here's an easy target, lets have him... So believe this or not early 2017 I started to get a 'tap tap tap' just outside the window most mornings just before the up, and I would say to my wife lying next to me 'can you hear that tapping' no, just me then.

So a month or two goes by, me checking the spouting etc - I realise this 'tap tap tap' most mornings is spiritual - so I start to research anything spiritual I could find to help understand what might be going on - the tapping stopped and I had learned a lot by then, so I stopped my research.... tap tap tap - here we go again - 3 years now ive been researching power of the mind and self healing energy, and spiritual issues, and of course viruses, the old arch enemy to me...

I learned so much on viruses - we used to have an in house joke me and my wife, when a virus would come along, it would have a little go at her then settle in me for a week or two - not anymore, I am the strong one, in mind at least.

I learned along the way defence cells have some consciousness - and I learned to communicate with them with my mind... Ive learned now in meditation, a quick word in my mind, system clear well done cells, or there is a problem here, I can feel something having a go, and press gently with my finger where any problem virus wise may be...

My wife had this corona/covid 'thing' - really bad with it she was 3 months ago, never happened before with her, lost taste and smell, we think it was that - I got a slight cough for a couple of days, be gone with you shooo - some people don't even know they've had it do they, we know this for a fact... I hope this might help someone here who is open minded enough to the fact that it could work with many viruses - power of the mind...

Last edited:

mac

Administrator
One thing's for sure.... Doing the self-healing can't harm you and there's nothing reliable for treating the condition anyway. Little to lose by trying. But that's a personal issue and unlikely to be adopted by most, even if they had any understanding which most won't.

There is much in this world I don't care for but the changes Covid 19 are bringing don't look likely to counterbalance the unattractiveness. It's adding to them.

I often use the old saying "It's an ill wind that blows nobody any good." (actually I use lots of old sayings) but this wind does seem a fairly ill one - few are experiencing anything good from the pandemic thus far.

one-light

Occasional Contributor
Works well for me, bit of a sore throat coming on yesterday, gone today, and that's rare these days - occasionally I get a virus attack, loads about isn't there, especially in autumn/winter - I used to feel one virus or another in my body 'every day' had my over fair share of them I can tell you - not anymore, I was 'meant' to do this research, and share knowledge... I make no promises here to people, this is about me and how 'I' deal with them. So usually during the day I will remember at some point to communicate briefly in my mind 'system clear well done cells' - or under attack 'on guard cells' then in meditation I will gently press where the problem is - power of the mind 3 yrs lonely, hard research, fast forwarded here to people who may be interested... good luck, stay strong in mind... Back online again tomorrow...

mac

Administrator
Works well for me, bit of a sore throat coming on yesterday, gone today, and that's rare these days - occasionally I get a virus attack, loads about isn't there, especially in autumn/winter - I used to feel one virus or another in my body 'every day' had my over fair share of them I can tell you - not anymore, I was 'meant' to do this research, and share knowledge...

I'm glad for you that your health is so good and it's interesting to hear about what you practise to remain well. In fairness, though, there's no certainty that the former is a direct outcome of the latter. There's no way to prove you wouldn't have been OK if you hadn't done what you do, no way to show that it wasn't your body's biological self-defences dealing with infections.

I make no promises here to people, this is about me and how 'I' deal with them. So usually during the day I will remember at some point to communicate briefly in my mind 'system clear well done cells' - or under attack 'on guard cells' then in meditation I will gently press where the problem is - power of the mind 3 yrs lonely, hard research, fast forwarded here to people who may be interested... good luck, stay strong in mind... Back online again tomorrow...

Of course no-one should take it as a guaranteed way to stay well but it's pretty unlikely anyone would harm themselves either by using such techniques. The same can't be said for relying on such techniques for protection against other conditions, perhaps turning their backs on conventional medicine.

Additionally and in line with my earlier remark, for common-or-garden coughs and colds viruses - against which there is no effective treatments anyway - practising meditation to focus on self-clearing them can't do any personal harm. The same goes for Covid 19 BUT still the precautions against potentially spreading it should be heeded. How would one know if this particular coronavirus had been cleared from one's system when one became well, when minor symptoms disappeared? Could one be certain that being personally asymptomatic means you're not a spreader?

The statistics concerning the spread of this virus suggest that it may be much more widespread than was originally thought. (and have been for some time before eventual widespread recognition) It's thought that many have been infected without symptoms or without serious symptoms but were presumably spreading the viral particles.

Could anyone be sure that the disappearance of their symptoms means they're not carriers/spreaders?

one-light

Occasional Contributor
We see what others here have to say - I had 'my share' of health issues, only 4 years ago ridiculous rashes - until I researched self healing energy, raised my 'vibes' rashes cleared permanently to now... because that's what we all are 'vibrational energy beings' - bet you've never been called that before everyone.... So in my opinion we should all raise our vibrational energy for better health and immune systems, and try lose the fear because that lowers it, smiling and being positive lifts it....

I have a friend she works at the hospital and she was talking to me the other day what if she's a carrier in hospital - I told her you can't go around worrying every moment, them 'things' will hitch a ride on anyone, so stay positive, smile, be strong, - like I say this is how I do it - and the thought of someone i'm talking to might be a carrier never enters my head, my cells are on high alert with all that's going on, like I say no promises everyone, this is how I do it... Power of the mind to give some guidance to where the problem is cannot hurt anyone... local work to do now back later...

Last edited:

mac

Administrator
I remarked earlier that it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good and perhaps one positive thing might emerge if we're lucky.

Coughs, colds and influenza are the norm in winter. As autumn arrives infection rates begin to increase and winter flu is something society tries to guard against. Influenza can be a flattener - I don't mean a bad cold which can be bad enough but influenza proper. It's spread by people BUT if we are to widely use face coverings in the future just maybe colds, coughs and influenza will become less widespread?

And with the new detection kits that can detect both Covid 19 and regular influenza coronaviruses as a society we may begin to behave differently, become less likely to spread our germs in the way we've always done before? Coughs and high temperatures should be viewed with more suspicion than they used to be and it's to be hoped that we'll react by being more careful, not coughing and sneezing without thought as we might have done when we had regular winter ills?

When everyone else is wearing masks, those who experience 'hay fever' and other allergic conditions should feel less self-conscious wearing one to help protect them from seasonal allergens. And those who do still cough because of their allergies will be doing it while wearing a mask. That should reduce the risk of their spreading colds and flu.

Add to all the above our new awareness of the need for regular hand-washing and the widespread public availability of gels along with no hand-shaking or hugging/kissing and we might see less of the winter ailments we've come to accept as normal in winter.

What's needed most - of course - are effective treatments for sufferers of Covid 19 and effective vaccines.

one-light

Occasional Contributor
Lets hope science doesn't take as long as AIDS to find something... We should keep our distance and gel our hands as a precaution of coarse while we learn our new way of life here worldwide... And of course keep wearing your mask if you are wearing one now for your and others protection..

Here are some links to look at everyone, then we should make our own minds up how to personally deal with our own health. Nothing wrong with my theory Stay Strong while we deal with this 'and' other cold/flu bugs.

Your Cells Are Listening - Dr. Kim D'Eramo

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/you...are-listening/

https://phys.org/news/2011-11-cells.html

Last edited:

mac

Administrator
We see what others here have to say - I had 'my share' of health issues, only 4 years ago ridiculous rashes - until I researched self healing energy, raised my 'vibes' rashes cleared permanently to now... because that's what we all are 'vibrational energy beings' - bet you've never been called that before everyone.... So in my opinion we should all raise our vibrational energy for better health and immune systems, and try lose the fear because that lowers it, smiling and being positive lifts it....

I have a friend she works at the hospital and she was talking to me the other day what if she's a carrier in hospital - I told her you can't go around worrying every moment, them 'things' will hitch a ride on anyone, so stay positive, smile, be strong, - like I say this is how I do it - and the thought of someone i'm talking to might be a carrier never enters my head, my cells are on high alert with all that's going on, like I say no promises everyone, this is how I do it... Power of the mind to give some guidance to where the problem is cannot hurt anyone... local work to do now back later...
As before I'm glad to hear how good your health has become and I'm not saying that it's not your self-healing that's keeping you well - only that there's no objective evidence. But that doesn't matter, you're well and that's what truly matters - provided you're not asymptomatic and unwittingly a risk to others. How would you know?

Your hospital worker friend is likely expressing the concerns of many other hospital workers and front-liners. I get it. Of course the virus could be on board anybody but in a hospital there's a significant risk of picking it up from infected patients and also of spreading it to other patients. The fewer staff risking getting infected and passing the the little bugger on the better in my view. Basic hygiene seems logical.

Your way might indeed work for others if they 'do the biz' the way you do. Individually it might keep them virus and bacteria free - can you target other means of infection by raising your vibrations? But until they are tested regularly and found free of the virus would it be socially responsible to take risks?

There's no certainty your technique would work reliably for your friend or for others and - I respectfully suggest - hers and their concerns are understandable. She, they and we are safer when procedures are followed.

mac

Administrator
Lets hope science doesn't take as long as AIDS to find something... We should keep our distance and gel our hands as a precaution of coarse while we learn our new way of life here worldwide...

Here are some links to look at everyone, then we should make our own minds up how to personally deal with our own health. Nothing wrong with my theory Stay Strong while we deal with this 'and' other cold/flu bugs.

Your Cells Are Listening - Dr. Kim D'Eramo

https://thriveglobal.com/stories/you...are-listening/

https://phys.org/news/2011-11-cells.html

To repeat myself, I'm glad your health is so good. If others are minded to try techniques similar to yours then may also enjoy rude health. But it's unproven - as you say yourself Stay Strong is a theory.

I'm glad you endorse the basic precautions about spreading Covid 19 and other infections, bacterial and viral alike.

I agree with your hope that science doesn't take as long as it took for treatment for HIV to be found. There's still no vaccine protection against it, of course, even now.....

Your links will provide reading for anyone wishing to research this topic. :)

one-light

Occasional Contributor
It has to be peoples choice, its an option to stay positive - we know it effects some people less, the stronger ones hardly know they have had it.. I suggest people don't take any 'risks' but try to Stay Strong in mind for a stronger immune system.

Over the last 3 weeks I been giving 250 of my Stay Strong posters out to my local shops, garages, businesses, pubs etc - they love them and put them on show to put up some sort of a fight in this war we're in - response has been brilliant, chemists love them as well, as they have been overwhelmed with all that's been going on... i'll see what others have to say on here over coming days, and possibly continue this conversation... I'm retired, so I do this for free, giving something back after my years in the fast lane of life - like I said before its up to individuals - this cells communication works for me, no proof it works for others, but nothing wrong in staying positive anyway...

Last edited:

mac

Administrator
It has to be peoples choice, its an option to stay positive - we know it effects some people less, the stronger ones hardly know they have had it.. I suggest people don't take any 'risks' but try to Stay Strong in mind for a stronger immune system.

As I understand the science it's not known why it doesn't affect some people as much as it affects others. It's been observed that it happens but the mechanisms aren't understood. The description 'stronger ones' isn't a medical term and means nothing.

I concur that staying strong in one's mind may improve one's immune system but it's unproven. Yes it's for individuals to choose but choice based on data is my preference. There are known risk factors based on observations and evidence.

None of this negatively impacts anyone's choice to be positive, of course, but positivity alone may not be enough protection. In my view it's better to consider all the information available before deviating from recommendations based on present-day science .

one-light

Occasional Contributor
Ok we see what other have to say and if to continue with this idea of being positive at least, made my point - people can ignore any comments made by me 'free will' their choice...

mac

Administrator
Ok we see what other have to say and if to continue with this idea of being positive at least, made my point - people can ignore any comments made by me 'free will' their choice...
As with all threads members may choose to join in with any running conversation. It's my experience folk ignore what doesn't interest them. Whether members will want to join with us here and now we'll indeed see but in the past - and somewhat surprising to me - there have been few interested in sharing what they feel and/or what's happening in their neck of the woods.

Many members are in the USA and with so many states adopting their own approaches to lock-down and easing restrictions I was expecting to hear how it's affected individuals in their everyday lives. It's been a big surprise to me that so few have contributed because the pandemic is likely to have affected all our members to a lesser or greater degree.

Perhaps they'll be persuaded by your ideas to comment on the pandemic and Covid 19. We'll see.....

mac

Administrator
I've been following to a small degree what's going on in the various states and wondering how folk in the US are coping with being out of work. AZ (my 'home state') was experiencing a major uptick in infections when I last looked and that has personal implications for me. Elsewhere I expect it will be a mixed picture - the US is a large place and significant variations in the impact are likely.

Here in the UK there's been considerable financial support for businesses and workers just as there has in the US but that's being reduced this month and a consequentially large numbers of job losses are expected. Many jobs have already gone and are unlikely ever to return - things have changed and there's probably no going back.

It's a changing and unfamiliar landscape with no indication how it will look this time next year. My view is that there will be more nasty changes than most of us anticipate.

one-light

Occasional Contributor
I agree with that - there will be new shoots as well, so there will be gainers maybe young ones, after we come out of this over coming/months/years after all the destruction business wise...

I am going to write more soon, next few days on how I use my theory to fight viruses in hips and knees, can be painful those I had one in my hip several years ago, pushed me on with research - and all the cold/flu bugs getting on the bandwagon soon, i'm going write about those as well, so we try to be prepared..

mac

Administrator
I agree with that - there will be new shoots as well, so there will be gainers maybe young ones, after we come out of this over coming/months/years after all the destruction business wise...

I am going to write more soon, next few days on how I use my theory to fight viruses in hips and knees, can be painful those I had one in my hip several years ago, pushed me on with research - and all the cold/flu bugs getting on the bandwagon soon, i'm going write about those as well, so we try to be prepared..
When you do write your piece(s) please post it/them in the Off Topic section as there isn't presently a healing/health forum and this thread is intended for the current Covid 19 and pandemic considerations.

mac

Administrator
What's emerging now is an apparent reluctance to be vaccinated if a vaccine is ever developed. Many scientists say the only way there will be a return to a level of normality is if an effective vaccine is developed and if enough people are then vaccinated. But high numbers are saying they won't get vaccinated and if there's not enough then those who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons won't be protected.

At the same time we're hearing in the UK that the "world-beating" test, track and trace scheme we were promised by our leader doesn't work and doesn't look likely to work well enough without considerable tinkering and likely additional cost.

Is there any wonder political leaders aren't trusted?

bluebird

Major Contributor
What's emerging now is an apparent reluctance to be vaccinated if a vaccine is ever developed. Many scientists say the only way there will be a return to a level of normality is if an effective vaccine is developed and if enough people are then vaccinated. But high numbers are saying they won't get vaccinated and if there's not enough then those who are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons won't be protected.

At the same time we're hearing in the UK that the "world-beating" test, track and trace scheme we were promised by our leader doesn't work and doesn't look likely to work well enough without considerable tinkering and likely additional cost.

Is there any wonder political leaders aren't trusted?

People are stupid. Not all people, but enough to make this deadly. In the U.S., in particular, certain portions of society try to keep the people uneducated or under-educated, so that they fall for the anti-science bull, and some of those people become the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, etc.

Vaccines are, thankfully, showing promise against Covid-19. It will take work, the first vaccines won't be perfect, and scientists will have to be wary and careful of side effects, but eventually they will probably have safe vaccines. If some people choose not to get them, they are largely self-selecting for illness and death.

mac

Administrator
People are stupid. Not all people, but enough to make this deadly. In the U.S., in particular, certain portions of society try to keep the people uneducated or under-educated, so that they fall for the anti-science bull, and some of those people become the anti-maskers, anti-vaxxers, flat-earthers, etc.

Vaccines are, thankfully, showing promise against Covid-19. It will take work, the first vaccines won't be perfect, and scientists will have to be wary and careful of side effects, but eventually they will probably have safe vaccines. If some people choose not to get them, they are largely self-selecting for illness and death.

Oh indeed - some are pretty dumb! The anti-vaxxers may not be, though, but may simply be hopelessly misguided. Perhaps not a big difference between one and the other! :D

I do hope effective vaccines will emerge and I feel very sorry for those whose health or other reasons leave them unable to be vaccinated. Those who choose not to be vaccinated have only themselves to blame if they become sick and I'd leave it to them except that they may spread the disease to those unable to be vaccinated. I find that aspect deplorable.

bluebird

Major Contributor
Oh indeed - some are pretty dumb! The anti-vaxxers may not be, though, but may simply be hopelessly misguided. Perhaps not a big difference between one and the other! :D

I do hope effective vaccines will emerge and I feel very sorry for those whose health or other reasons leave them unable to be vaccinated. Those who choose not to be vaccinated have only themselves to blame if they become sick and I'd leave it to them except that they may spread the disease to those unable to be vaccinated. I find that aspect deplorable.
Agreed, completely.

mac

Administrator
This thread is turning into a sometime-diary but in the UK we've had three new countries - including Belgium just across the way from us - added to a list whereby travelers from those countries have to enter a two week isolation when they return to the UK. That's because of increasing infection rates in those countries.

Mainland Spain along with its Balearic and Canary islands were recently added to the list causing great dilemmas for would-be holidaymakers but also for those already on vacation in those locations. Spain and its islands are massively important vacation destinations for us Brits and for European citizens also.

Why the dilemmas? Well those intending taking a vacation will have to isolate for a fortnight on their return and most/many can not afford to be away from their work and/or fear being sacked if they do stay away. A week's holiday could become three weeks off work with the need to return to grocery shopping etc. similar to the way it was at the beginning of the lock down. It's the same for those already on holiday. Add to that the difficulty of getting travel insurance to cover these situations, an important aspect on our side of the pond.

Just imagine the reaction if US vacationers were to face similar requirements to self-isolate when they'd been on vacation to a state where infections rates were higher than in their home state. On a totally different tack Canuck friends told us recently that American travelers had been crossing their closed borders purportedly to travel onward to Alaska but then had been discovered vacationing - fishing! - in BC.

In this world there will always be those who cheat and ignore the rules intended to protect all of us - politicians and regular citizens alike. :(

one-light

Occasional Contributor
I haven't had the flu jab since 2014 when I was sure it made me unwell - a year later when my wife had the jab again we were discussing - and the lady said they've improved on it this year some people were ill with the last jab - so ive not had it since - so I can understand they're taking time to be careful checking for side effects...

mac

Administrator
There's a difference between being careful about unwanted effects and the anti-vaxxer group who are against vaccines generally, sometimes for arguably questionable reasons.

Where large numbers report illness or reactions to mass vaccinations it's reasonable to conclude that a particular vaccination caused them. It's understandable when one has had an unpleasant reaction to a vaccination one would feel uncertain about having another.

The overall picture has to be assessed on a personal level but we all need to remember influenza can make you very ill and is more a risk the older you are and more a risk if you have underlying health issues - as many old folk do have. Lots of folk say they've had 'flu when the reality is they've had a bad cold - and a bad cold is often bad but it's not 'flu.

Perhaps this winter we'll get a better picture about influenza if the new tests developed alongside the Covid 19 tests are used widescale.

bluebird

Major Contributor
This thread is turning into a sometime-diary but in the UK we've had three new countries - including Belgium just across the way from us - added to a list whereby travelers from those countries have to enter a two week isolation when they return to the UK. That's because of increasing infection rates in those countries.

Mainland Spain along with its Balearic and Canary islands were recently added to the list causing great dilemmas for would-be holidaymakers but also for those already on vacation in those locations. Spain and its islands are massively important vacation destinations for us Brits and for European citizens also.

Why the dilemmas? Well those intending taking a vacation will have to isolate for a fortnight on their return and most/many can not afford to be away from their work and/or fear being sacked if they do stay away. A week's holiday could become three weeks off work with the need to return to grocery shopping etc. similar to the way it was at the beginning of the lock down. It's the same for those already on holiday. Add to that the difficulty of getting travel insurance to cover these situations, an important aspect on our side of the pond.

Just imagine the reaction if US vacationers were to face similar requirements to self-isolate when they'd been on vacation to a state where infections rates were higher than in their home state. On a totally different tack Canuck friends told us recently that American travelers had been crossing their closed borders purportedly to travel onward to Alaska but then had been discovered vacationing - fishing! - in BC.

In this world there will always be those who cheat and ignore the rules intended to protect all of us - politicians and regular citizens alike. :(
Everyone just needs to stay the hell home -- no holidays/vacations. That's the only way.

bluebird

Major Contributor
There's a difference between being careful about unwanted effects and the anti-vaxxer group who are against vaccines generally, sometimes for arguably questionable reasons.

Exactly. Take the time to test the vaccines to make sure they're safe, before implementing them -- though do it as quickly as is safe, since so many are dying so quickly. That makes sense.

But the anti-vaxxers? They're just idiots.

mac

Administrator
Everyone just needs to stay the hell home -- no holidays/vacations. That's the only way.

Avoiding vacations would certainly avoid having to isolate because of the reasons I mentioned but wouldn't avoid isolation after exposure to other infection routes. :)

mac

Administrator
I've been noticing recently a new form of kerbside and countryside trash - discarded disposable face masks. Just to add to the disgraceful levels of trash already around.:( It can make you despair at the behavior of some individuals.....

bluebird

Major Contributor
True, about there still being other routes of infection, but ceasing vacation travel would certainly help. So would every person wearing a mask every time they leave the house (unless they will be in a wide open space alone or with the people they already live with), on top of social distancing, hand washing, etc. But everyone needs to abide by these guidelines.

I have noticed a few discarded masks and gloves, as well, mostly in the grocery store parking lot -- but in that respect people in my area seem to mostly be throwing away their masks and gloves in the trashcans the store has placed by the cart corrals. I know it is quite a problem in some areas, though. Aside from just throwing trash on the ground, not caring for how that affects the environment and the animals which live in it, the idiots discarding worn masks and gloves on the ground are also increasing other peoples' exposure to Covid-19, by providing/creating a possible additional disease vector.

I swear, the longer I live, the more I lose faith in humanity. There are many, many good people in the world, but there are also many evil, cruel, uncaring people, and right now almost half of the U.S. falls into that latter group.

Ruby

Significant Contributor
We mustn't despair. The system is not broken. Speaking generally, so many people have been lifted out of poverty in the last thirty years, it's quite astonishing to reflect on the figures. There seem to be a lot of very difficult problems to be overcome though. I'm not sure what I think about Michelle Obama saying she's depressed about the state of things. Does it help?
On the rubbish problem, when I go to see my mother in her care home we meet in the garden two metres apart and I get a sleeveless plastic apron tied round me, then discarded. No-one thinks it serves any purpose other than making enormous piles of waste, but the staff just have to do it.

mac

Administrator
We mustn't despair. The system is not broken. Speaking generally, so many people have been lifted out of poverty in the last thirty years, it's quite astonishing to reflect on the figures. There seem to be a lot of very difficult problems to be overcome though. I'm not sure what I think about Michelle Obama saying she's depressed about the state of things. Does it help?

Does it have to be of help before anyone can say they're depressed about something?

On the rubbish problem, when I go to see my mother in her care home we meet in the garden two metres apart and I get a sleeveless plastic apron tied round me, then discarded. No-one thinks it serves any purpose other than making enormous piles of waste, but the staff just have to do it.

In the fullness of time I'm expecting we'll find that some things were pointless and others should have been done or done more rigourously...... That's often the way in life - too much of one, too little of another. I was under the impression that face coverings/masks were of most value in protecting others from one's germs and that they provided little benefit to the wearer. Yet we've been lectured about how to remove them to avoid getting contaminated when really and truly it was front-liners facing numerous, severely-sick patients who needed to do all that - and also to wear a visor.

Not so long ago we were afraid of the virus surviving on parcels, food packaging etc. but now it's rarely mentioned. Gloves were recommended early on but now they're discouraged.

Social distancing was recommended 2 metre / 6 feet yet there's limited scientific evidence for that figure and the wearing of face masks was - as best I recall - supposed to allow 1 metre / 3 feet distancing. Yet folk are still being expected to maintain the old separation. I

n the brief company of a spreader - less than 15 minutes at 6 feet - there was supposed to be a marginal risk but folk go out of their way to avoid you as you pass by them for a few seconds on the pavement / sidewalk.

One fine day I hope we'll be able to look back and say what a crock a lot of this was but that's still in the future and between then and now there's a lot of learning still to be done and many more folk will become ill and it's very likely many will die.

mac

Administrator
It's Britain, it's summer and rather unusually it's hot and sunny. In any ordinary summer folk go barmy and flock to the seaside. Queuing to reach the resort, looking for somewhere to park the car then making camp on the beach with thousands of others is what happens routinely. Trouble is it's still happening in the middle of a pandemic when town councils are begging folk to stay away and the government is still expecting social distancing, neither of which is being heeded.

We can only hope that all those myopic, deaf, brain-dead day trippers DON'T become infected and take new companions - Covid 19 virus particles - back home with them, perhaps eventually spiking new infections, local lock-down and inevitable deaths for some.

bluebird

Major Contributor
While masks are helpful primarily in terms of preventing the wearer from infecting others, should s/he have coronavirus, they do also offer some protection to the wearer. Masks are, after all, a barrier to particles, and barriers work for those on both sides, though perhaps one more than the other. Like condoms, which for a straight couple not only prevent the woman from getting pregnant, but also protect both the woman and the man from transmitting (most) sexually transmitted diseases to each other.

It may be that we will later find that some protocols were a bit too strict, but I doubt it. Regardless, I personally put on a mask before I leave the house, and don't take it off again until I'm back in my house -- the only exceptions are when I take out the trash (which involves walking twenty feet round to the side of my house, where the bins are located, and when no people are anywhere in sight), and on the few rare occasions when I've gone to my sister's house and eaten some food, in which case we are outside and around 10 feet (about 3.5 meters) from each other. Then my mask goes right back on, even though we maintain the distance.

When I go to work (one day per week in the actual office), I put on a mask and gloves before getting out of my car, and don't take them off until just before I get in my car (I throw them out in a trash can in the parking lot). This means I don't eat all day, until I get home, but it's better than catching Covid.

When I do the grocery shopping, mask and gloves go on before I leave the car, and don't come off until just before I get in the car (I throw them out in the bin in the grocery store parking lot).

Actually, most of the time I don't take my mask off until I'm back in my house, even coming back from work or the store.

On top of which, I very rarely leave my house unless absolutely necessary (work, food shopping, doctor appointments). I truly don't understand why people don't get that they CANNOT resume their normal lives while this virus is still raging. They need to stay in as much as possible, and wear their masks 100% of the time when they go out and are anywhere other than a wide-open space either alone or with people they live with. Otherwise, we are doomed.

Last edited: