Coronavirus -- Stay Well!

bluebird

Major Contributor
I hope everyone is safe and healthy, and has been able to purchase food, toilet paper, and everything else they need. I wanted to start this thread so that we can keep each other updated, hopefully alleviate some anxiety, tell stories about the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 (lol), etc.

I'm not infected, as far as I know. I do have seasonal allergies, and when I sneezed in a shop the other day I felt compelled to say "I'm not sick, I just have allergies". I've read about others doing the same.

I have plenty of food, water, and toilet paper, as do my family members. I have half a bottle of hand sanitizer, which I brought home from my desk at work. The stores around here are completely out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, bread, frozen pizza, etc. It's crazy. I normally shop at ShopRite, and two weeks ago their TP stock was a bit low, but only minorly, then a week ago they had none. I had some at home, but needed to pick up some for my Mom and my sister (two different households), so I went to Target at 8am (when they opened) and there was already a small crowd. They did have some TP, so I got that, bottled water, etc. Friday night I did my Mom's food shopping for her, as she has some health issues affecting her lungs and her immune system. My Dad lives about an hour away, but he's very self-sufficient, and he's stocked up.

So, thankfully my family and I are all fine, and hopefully stay fine.

My job has closed for two weeks, which we really didn't expect them to do, so I will be working from home. It's good and bad -- good healthwise, but I worry if I can do enough work at home to make my usual salary (part of my job at work is customer service, and of course that's not possible when I'm not AT work). I really hope the relief package passes, since the U.S. has such a horrible healthcare system -- at least getting paid for two weeks of sick pay is something, if one gets sick or has to care for a sick loved one.

So, that's my situation at the moment. Please share yours.

mac

janitor
mine, bb? Getting by here in AZ for the moment, some food, some 'toilet rolls' as we Brits. call 'em! :D Don't know what my wife will find tomorrow morning when she goes food shopping in Walmart. We're not carrying much stock of food as we were running supplies down as we prepare to leave for home in the UK at the end of this month - if that happens.

Few planes coming from Europe or the UK to the US - and even fewer taking Americans in the opposite direction - will likely mean our scheduled flight won't go ahead because there won't be a plane to travel on. We don't know what will happen then, we don't know if we'll be able to return home in a predictable time frame, we don't know how we'd fare if we stay over. We'd have no healthcare insurance for one!

We have permission to stay in the US until May after which we'll be classed as over-staying - we'd become illegals. Without a plane we couldn't easily be booted out of course unless it were to Mexico or Canada and I doubt folk there would be keen to take us! But if we overstay Homeland Security will take a dim view and later we'll face problems when we want to return to our winter home in AZ the US - that's assuming we eventually do get back home!

I'm not sure that I want to go home anyway rather than stay here because Brits look set to be in even deeper doo-doo than us and our friends here in the US. So it's kinda different for us......;)

bluebird

Major Contributor
mac,

As far as buying supplies, if the big stores are out check smaller shops -- corner stores, bodegas, dollar stores, etc., as from what I've read, some people have had luck at those places. It's good you have some toilet rolls -- I've seen them called "bog rolls" as well; I'm guessing that's more of an Irish phrase. :)

I suspect and hope that the U.S. government will have to pass some sort of intermediate visa extension law, given the situation, or perhaps a visa overstay forgiveness program after the fact (especially with a Democrat in the White House). Anyway, overstaying a visa isn't looked upon as harshly as entering without a valid visa, even under normal/usual circumstances, and given the current extreme circumstances I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted later on.

Is the UK really doing worse than the US, as far as the virus? Even if it is, as you said, you have no insurance here. If I were you, I'd get back home if you can, where at least you have the NHS, social assistance programs, etc.

mac

janitor
mac,

As far as buying supplies, if the big stores are out check smaller shops -- corner stores, bodegas, dollar stores, etc., as from what I've read, some people have had luck at those places. It's good you have some toilet rolls -- I've seen them called "bog rolls" as well; I'm guessing that's more of an Irish phrase. :)

Oh I call 'em bog rolls too, have done for decades but didn't think the word would be recognised over here. :D A (peat) bog is the same in Ireland or England but a bog is also a toilet/bathroom/restroom in England.

I suspect and hope that the U.S. government will have to pass some sort of intermediate visa extension law, given the situation, or perhaps a visa overstay forgiveness program after the fact (especially with a Democrat in the White House).

I hope you're right, bb, because applying for an extension of the 'permission to remain' is convoluted and spendy - been there, done it three times.

Anyway, overstaying a visa isn't looked upon as harshly as entering without a valid visa, even under normal/usual circumstances, and given the current extreme circumstances I'm sure you'll be able to get it sorted later on.

You can't legally enter the US without permission. A visa enables you only to present yourself at the border and ask permission to enter - it doesn't give you permission to enter or stay. The border agent decides that by considering your application and judging the risk you'll overstay or not leave. Of course some folk get permission to stay but then don't leave by the date stamped in their passport or do things they shouldn't - such as working. Because on one occasion our leaving wasn't properly documented and recorded we were grilled when we returned months later. We were unaware (but feared) we'd been given duff advice before we flew out - by airport counter staff. It's not pleasant being taken away for further interview and having to explain to officials when you did nothing wrong in the first place - been there, done that. :( We want to do things properly first time.

Is the UK really doing worse than the US, as far as the virus?

I can't answer that but in terms of its impact the answer is at least as bad and some things will be worse. Our economy was already pressured after Brexit and now our currency is falling fast against the $US - and we buy a bunch of stuff in that denomination. Our exports will be cheaper but who's buying? And the price of imported raw materials is soaring.

Even if it is, as you said, you have no insurance here. If I were you, I'd get back home if you can, where at least you have the NHS, social assistance programs, etc.

If we can't buy an extension to our current health insurance we'd be in stuck. If we could get it we'd be under far less pressure provided we're allowed by 'INS' to stay longer. It would be a toss-up which would be better because our National Health Service was already stretched beyond its capacity (it's always that way and much worse in winter) before Covid 19 and is likely to fail big time in my view.

As a couple of old-farts we're in the higher-risk category and back in England there's already serious talk about the 'elderly' - OLD farts like us - soon being expected to self-quarantine for several months. I don't expect that to happen in the US but if it did I'd sooner do it here in AZ than in our gloomy, cold, wet, gray, cloudy UK! :D

bluebird

Major Contributor
Ugh. Well, I hope you and your wife are ok. Try not to go out much; practice the "social distancing" that's being recommended, only go out for necessary supplies, and wash your hands a lot.

mac

janitor
Ugh. Well, I hope you and your wife are ok. Try not to go out much; practice the "social distancing" that's being recommended, only go out for necessary supplies, and wash your hands a lot.

We're both OK, thanks bb, but a little unsettled by so many changes but it's gotta be that way for many/most and they face major problems which we don't. I feel bad for them.

We'll be doing what you've suggested. Keep some distance from folk, no touching and plenty of soap and water for our hands.

A major pandemic has been expected for a long time, flu being an obvious one and a serious one like Spanish flu has been expected but this one arrived somewhat unexpectedly. Makes me wonder how this world will now change - interesting times for an observer like me......

Kurt

Major Contributor
I hope everyone is safe and healthy, and has been able to purchase food, toilet paper, and everything else they need. I wanted to start this thread so that we can keep each other updated, hopefully alleviate some anxiety, tell stories about the Great Toilet Paper Crisis of 2020 (lol), etc.

I'm not infected, as far as I know. I do have seasonal allergies, and when I sneezed in a shop the other day I felt compelled to say "I'm not sick, I just have allergies". I've read about others doing the same.

I have plenty of food, water, and toilet paper, as do my family members. I have half a bottle of hand sanitizer, which I brought home from my desk at work. The stores around here are completely out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, rice, bread, frozen pizza, etc. It's crazy. I normally shop at ShopRite, and two weeks ago their TP stock was a bit low, but only minorly, then a week ago they had none. I had some at home, but needed to pick up some for my Mom and my sister (two different households), so I went to Target at 8am (when they opened) and there was already a small crowd. They did have some TP, so I got that, bottled water, etc. Friday night I did my Mom's food shopping for her, as she has some health issues affecting her lungs and her immune system. My Dad lives about an hour away, but he's very self-sufficient, and he's stocked up.

So, thankfully my family and I are all fine, and hopefully stay fine.

My job has closed for two weeks, which we really didn't expect them to do, so I will be working from home. It's good and bad -- good healthwise, but I worry if I can do enough work at home to make my usual salary (part of my job at work is customer service, and of course that's not possible when I'm not AT work). I really hope the relief package passes, since the U.S. has such a horrible healthcare system -- at least getting paid for two weeks of sick pay is something, if one gets sick or has to care for a sick loved one.

So, that's my situation at the moment. Please share yours.

My spring break got extended and classes may be cancelled by the end of it for this semester.

Both my jobs don't exist anymore and I put my last paycheck towards rent.

I may end up working at my girlfriends job but that may also get cancelled.

Now on to the toilet paper...

:D

The other day I was in target to buy groceries...

And I thought this whole toilet paper craze was a joke or a hoax.

I saw the bread was gone. The milk was gone? Cheese? Nowhere to be found. No meat. I got 6 pizzas for 20 dollars though and located 2 bags of tortellini and marinara so that'll have to do.

I turn around and a tidal wave of people were rushing over and I thought I was gonna get stampeded before they all turned into a aisle full of toilet paper.

I went over thinking what in the world?

It was all gone in 30 seconds and there were two women fighting over a 16 roll and both were fighting as of the other had seduced their boyfriend of 15 years.

It was ridiculous. I couldn't believe my eyes.

Luckily I got a 16 roll before the everyday man found out about Coronavirus

(I have a news feed that included the Hong Kong protests and I remember seeing reports of a novel flu virus getting out of control late last year. I initially thought the CCP released it to break up protests but now it's looking like they tested it on bats* and one of the workers sold the animals in a meat market.)

* - It's been confirmed that Coronavirus is a bioweapon that got released.

Coronavirus link to China biowarfare program possible, analyst says

Kurt

Major Contributor
Sometime tomorrow I'll upload some videos from Wuhan to my YouTube channel so you guys can see them.

The actual videos from Wuhan are extremely disturbing.

The entire city is blacked out and you hear nothing but screaming, people are being cremated alive... The blocks are pitch black and hazmat guys are taking people away in their sleep, people are being bricked into their homes

Someone took trump a bit too seriously when he said build a wall around em and make it tall!! :D

This woman gets kidnapped in broad daylight and shoved into a car screaming by hazmat guys

It's extremely disturbing stuff but you wont see it on the news.

I love you guys so I want you to have the real news and not the Xi approved propoganda. I don't expect CNN or MSLSD to show anything real either but people need to know how bad this is.

It's also been confirmed that only 5% of deaths are reported from China and there's evidence to suggest that 1000000 were infected in December.

mac

janitor
My wife pointed out to me that she'll not be expected to self-isolate because she's not 70 yet! Just us old farts over 70 who will be expected to stay away from everything so we don't get infected and won't then need respirating when our flabby lungs give up on us. It's a grand thing to look forward to as spring gets going! :D

It looks like soon becoming a grim year globally. :(

bluebird

Major Contributor
Kurt,

Sorry about your jobs. A lot of people are in similar positions. Do you have any savings you could live on for a while, or can your girlfriend pay your bills until you can get a job?

So far everyone I've seen in the stores has been nice, but I know that in some places people are fighting, as you described. Crises certainly bring out both the best and the worst in humanity.