• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

COP 28 - a disaster

Rory

Occasional Contributor
I've seen there has been some active discussion around climate change on this forum in the past, and I thought I'd start a new thread now that the COP 28 conference in the UAE has drawn to a close.

Hosting the conference in a country that relies heavily on oil exports for its economy was always a strange move, but given the conference's president himself is the CEO of a large oil company, his comments that there is no data to show that fossil fuels need to be phased out just goes to show how ridiculous this has all been.

These conferences are supposed to be about achieving tangible results, not about playing a diplomacy game where we pat each other on the back for how flavourful their rhetoric is.

I'm quite an optimistic person in some ways, but when it comes to climate change I can't help but feel angry about how little is being done by precisely the very people who are actually in a position to make the kinds of changes that need to be made.

Not making them quickly enough is one thing, but laughing in the face of the science behind it and refusing to even admit the problem is the actual problem is totally absurd.

Does anyone else have any thoughts about it?

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I sat down this morning wondering whether to post a few thoughts about the latest COP but you've beaten me to it! That and the final part of Planet Earth were both depressing and hopeful. I think only we in the UK will have seen David Attenborough's programme though.

I think I'm a realist and the real situation is that global economics can never be ignored no matter how deep the potential global crisis. And it will be the biggest global challenge ever. I fear the worst and can only hope I'm wrong. I am thankful I probably won't be around to see the longer-term outcomes if/when humankind fails to work collaboratively. It's a sad fact that humankind may simply be unable to work in such a way.

There is the potential for the next few decades to be the last few decades of the so-called developed world (as we understand that idea) if the present approach results in change happening too slowly.