1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is a resource for those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

Communicating with the dead-how do we know

Discussion in 'After-Death Communication' started by lithuania, Apr 4, 2012.

1. lithuania

lithuania Banned

How do we know that mediums actually communicate with the deceased and that they are not, instead, using psi abilities to gather information from those living or the collective unconscious, or some other mechanism that does not involve communicating with the deceased. I know mediums claim to actually communicate with the dead but how do they really know that they are not simply taping into info from other sources having nothing to do with the dead?

2. mac

mac Staff Member

An evidential medium should provide evidence about whom their communicator is so that the intended recipient can decide whether any information provided is relevant. Information that can not be identified at the sitting - but checks out later through family or friends - can be the most convincing. Other evidence such as character and/or characteristics, appearance, mannerisms etc. can also reassure the enquirer about the identity of the discarnate communicator.

Ultimately it's up to the enquirer to decide whether the communication is actually from family or friends and not simply something that the practitioner has 'picked up' from the enquirer. Not easy at times.

3. Lithuania
    This is exactly my question. I would like to read others responses.

4. lithuania

lithuania Banned

The Windbridge Institute is undertaking a scientific, peer reviewed study now to try and determine whether the medium is actually communicating with the deceased or whether they are using psi abilities to gather information about the deceased. You may want to check out the institute website.

5. lithuania

lithuania Banned

Mac, the problem is that we still do not know whether the medium is actually getting this info from spirits or whether they are using psi abilities to get the info from other sources (including perhaps the collective unconscious). There really needs to be some scientific experimentation on this front.

Just because a medium tells you about your loved one precisely and even gives you info that you did not know about (if you are the one speaking to the medium), it does not mean the medium received the info from the deceased. This is why it is so important to have scientific studies that focus on this question.
    I think without a doubt science has proven that some people have psi abilities but science has yet to prove that people actually communicate with the deceased.

6. Dr Gary Schwartz has done a lot of work in this area. Having read a few of his books, though I still share your skepticism that much of what is going on in mediumship might be psi ability, there is no doubt in my mind that something beyond ordinary physics is going on. Maybe collective consciousness and communication with those in the spirit realms is one and the same thing. Maybe those on the other side don't see a difference like we on the earthplane do. I'm just speculating.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

7. Angabange

Angabange New Member

Just my own opinion!
    Have you ever talked to a medium? I think you should to see for yourself. My personal experience tells me without a doubt she was getting her info from the deceased, or my guides. There is no way she could have known the things she knew, and she brought up things that weren't anywhere in my head at the time (from YEARS ago), and things that nobody but my husband and I know about. And people come through that I hadn't even THOUGHT about, in fact a couple that I was trying really hard to think of and communicate with didn't come, which tells me that she couldn't be reading my consciousness or it would have been things I wanted to hear and people I wanted to hear from, and it wasn't. Any skeptic can come up with reasons to question, just like any believer can come up with reasons for it to be real. I don't know how to explain it other than to say, once you do it, you just KNOW.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

I understand your points although I have no idea what 'collective unconsciousness' means.

On a personal level I'm pleased I don't feel, quote: ".... the need for some scientific experimentation on this front." but, then, my understanding of the situation comes from a different approach and on a personal level I'm satisfied with what I've found.

I'm contented to wait until scientists have disproved that mediumistic communication is ever authentic before I re-think the situation. My guess is that they won't ever be able to.

9. lithuania

lithuania Banned

Hi Angabange, you noted:he brought up things that weren't anywhere in my head at the time (from YEARS ago). The medium could have picked up the info from your subconscious mind (things you forgot long ago). You also note that: she brought up...things that nobody but my husband and I know about. So again, the medium could have picked things up from your mind or your husband's conscious and/or unconscious mind (your husband didn't even need to be at the reading).
    All I am trying to say is that there is no scientific -100%- proof that mediums can communicate with the deceased. That said, the evidence is very interesting and I am open to the idea of there being an afterlife and some people being able to communicate with those deceased. I truly hope that our there is an afterlife, otherwise life is quite meaningless if there is nothing after we die (in my mind anyway).

10. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm a long-term Spiritualist but one who never had a good reading from a medium.

But I write extensively on the subject, debating and discussing issues surrounding mediums and mediumship and I'm not a doubter or detractor. Nevertheless I recognise and accept that some individuals will demand nothing less than empirical proof that communication can happen in the way we both know it does rather than there being alternative explanations.

I fancy it will be a frustrating business seeking proof and maybe a 'get-a-life' type of situation.