1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. AfterLifeForums is a resource for those seeking information about survival and the afterlife dimensions.
Dismiss Notice
To get the most from this website please register for an account.

Chronic Illness, Depression & Anxiety in the Afterlife

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Alleine, Dec 11, 2018.

1. In all my reading and research, I have read that we are essentially the same people in the afterlife as were are in this life. What about a person who has had chronic illness, depression and anxiety all their life? Unfortunately, in my case these things have shaped me into the person I am today both physically and mentally. I have always had the thought thought that the real me is much different, lighter and happy.

The world though, in combination with all the things I was born with and the situations I've survived in my life, have turned me into something of a shell of a person. Someone who always afraid, angry and worried.

I'd like to know that the husk of this world will drop away from me after death and the real me can move forward into the new life. Or is this the person I will be forever?

2. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

From what I've read, of there is an afterlife, quite a few people seem to agree that all body relate illness, be they of whatever nature they are, will drop away the moment you are no longer with your body.

Let's suppose that your anxiety and depression come as direct result of a cerebral abnormality. According to that scenario, these traits should vanish.

However, it does not seem to be that simple, for it appears that at some point we all undergo a form of life review, and ultimately are the judge of our own actions. So hypothetically, if you felt some guilt over your mental distress, it's possible you will get to deal with this.

These are things I have picked up from various literature. They do not represent facts, nor my actual opinion on the matter.

3. I do have problems with the brain, nerves and muscles and depression/anxiety are a common element of the disorder. But, there has been some pretty bad life situations that add to that. I am hoping that my life review will help me to shed that. There's no guilt but a ton of rage I must let go of and I I'm going need a lot of help with that.

I can't imagine the person I'll be. The closest I can think of was when I was a very young child...those were happy times.
    Thank you for responding.

4. Convolution

Convolution Established Member

From what I've read, eventually we will all be joyful, full of love, and have a much greater understanding of what life is about. So any conditions, if they persist at all, are always temporary.

I do read that sometimes we may choose (not all agree on this level of control, but I have read it quite a bit) to incarnate in order to learn or teach lessons. It is possible that you may have chosen to go through your experience in order to learn something from it.
    The reasons usually seem as numerous as the experiences themselves, but common ones I hear are:
    -To learn how to empathize with people who go through this in my next life, so I may help them
    -To teach love to those around me
    -To learn to love myself as I am
    -To learn compassion and love for others

I don't know whether any of this resonates with you, but I figured I'd mention in case something does.

In any case, know that you are not alone when it comes to depression and anxiety. I deal with seasonal depression, have had major depression since about the passing of my brother (14 months ago), and have dealt with general anxiety for most of my life.
    One suggestion I do have is to try and meditate. It's possible that, in being within yourself, you may intuit something about this condition, or in time find some peace. It can help with understanding your subconscious, with noticing potentially destructive self patterns, and a variety of other things.
    I know it has always helped me a lot.

5. I have a lot of trouble believing that I would choose this life . I've learned nothing but fear and mistrust and the fact that I will never come back into another life again or if I do the situation would have to be vastly different. I've been told by good "Christians" that I 've suffered in my life because I am not one of God's children. I do hope that God doesn't do that to people....I don't believe he does.

I've never been one for meditation, but thanks for the suggestion. I gained a lot of understanding about myself over the years so that's not the problem. The darkness in this world is the problem. It saturates me.

6. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Alleine,

I don't know if there is an afterlife or not. If there is, I tend to think that issues such as anxiety and depression (from which I suffer as well) will no longer afflict us there. When those issues are the result of chemical imbalances, we won't suffer from them anymore because we will no longer have physical bodies. When those issues are the result of life circumstances and situations, we will no longer be trapped in or by those circumstances/situations.

I do not believe that we "chart" or choose everything that happens to us, or all of the circumstances of our lives. Perhaps some of us do, some of the time, but IMHO that's as far as it goes. I KNOW that neither my husband nor I chose for him to die when he did. I believe you, that you did not choose a life of anxiety and depression. Those "Christians" who told you that you suffer because you are not "one of God's children" are NOT Christians, so pay them no mind.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2018
    Convolution and mac like this.
  7. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Physical ailments will leave you as soon as you convince yourself that you no longer have them. Most of your psychological problems will drop away as well, and you will get plenty of counseling and support to help you shed any that seem to be more intractable. Simply THINK health, and you will HAVE health. No worries!

8. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Alleine, the very fact that someone could call himself or herself a "Christian" and say something that is so entirely against the glorious teachings of the genuine Jesus is infuriating! My dear friend, you in particular are God's best-beloved child, and never let anyone tell you differently!

9. mac

mac Staff Member

Re the question in your final sentence the answer is a simple, but resounding, no. It's so sad that you are the way you describe but those conditions relate to your physical condition and on passing over that condition will fade away as your body dies.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

I'm sure many others would agree and feel a similar way about their own lives.

There are many sad and misguided folk who say many unkind things because of their own lack of knowledge and because of the conditioning they've undergone. It is time now to think to yourself enough of such misguided people and listen to those who will try to help and support you.

Meditation can be invaluable in the right circumstances but perhaps would not be right now for at the moment. Spiritual matters can answer a lot of uncertainties about life and death but medical intervention may also be desirable (if it hasn't already happened) because speaking purely as a layperson it sounds to me like you might have clinical depression.