Brief Glimpses Behind the Veil…

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
We can see the problems easily enough but it's mostly professionals who can work out and try to help individuals suffering from mental health issues.

From the little I've learned about the subject there may be a number of conditions involved in any one person's situation. Based on what Ruby and I know about the UK's woefully inadequate mental health provisions I expect full evaluation is unlikely to have been carried out.

All too often wait times for assessment are horribly long and a sufferer's condition deteriorates during the time (s)he desperately needs urgent support. By the time an appointment is offered her/his condition will have become very much worse. I don't expect the situation in USA, Canada or Australia - where most our our few active members live - is any better though. :(

Ruby

Hi Bluebird, yes, as far as I know. They have seen very many mental health professionals over several years. It doesn't progress much as they tend to ask to hear the background to the visit which irritates my friend who says "You have all the notes there in the file", so they go through the whole saga again and that can take up a lot of time. Another I know who has disabled adult children says the same about social workers. Constant changes of staff mean starting from scratch again. Now he sees them on his own she doesn't know what he's saying to them. A lot are young professionals starting out and doing their best but everything has been tried. At one point he was invited to a regular group for discussion and self-help and he left before the end of the first session and wouldn't go back. He reads a lot online and wonders if he's autistic as well. He knows all the lingo and talks a good talk.

I've often thought that the subjects that interest us here might help people with mental health problems. Studying near death experiences, children who remember past lives, apparitional experiences and so on, can obviously help those facing serious physical illness or the death of a loved one, but they take us out of the mundane everyday world and show us the possibility of ourselves as more than just physical bodies, the eternal journey of the soul and so on, and wouldn't that be transforming for mental health, if these patients were able mentally to take it onboard, although maybe that's the point: they can't. We all find it difficult to believe in, when we can't all have a spiritually transforming experience, and a lot of the time they're probably too wrapped up in their own unhappiness.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
Hi Bluebird, yes, as far as I know. They have seen very many mental health professionals over several years. It doesn't progress much as they tend to ask to hear the background to the visit which irritates my friend who says "You have all the notes there in the file", so they go through the whole saga again and that can take up a lot of time. Another I know who has disabled adult children says the same about social workers. Constant changes of staff mean starting from scratch again.
Isn't this a recurrent problem over pretty much the whole of our mind-numbingly large healthcare system? We go to a GP with a problem for which the hard-pressed GP has a 10 minute slot in which to first listen to you and/or read your medical case history, then try to evaluate your problem and finally deliver a solution...... Mental healthcare can not be in any better situation.

Now he sees them on his own she doesn't know what he's saying to them. A lot are young professionals starting out and doing their best but everything has been tried. At one point he was invited to a regular group for discussion and self-help and he left before the end of the first session and wouldn't go back. He reads a lot online and wonders if he's autistic as well. He knows all the lingo and talks a good talk.
autistic? quite possibly/probably - Cases as his seem rarely to be down to a single problem.

I've often thought that the subjects that interest us here might help people with mental health problems. Studying near death experiences, children who remember past lives, apparitional experiences and so on, can obviously help those facing serious physical illness or the death of a loved one, but they take us out of the mundane everyday world and show us the possibility of ourselves as more than just physical bodies, the eternal journey of the soul and so on, and wouldn't that be transforming for mental health, if these patients were able mentally to take it onboard, although maybe that's the point: they can't. We all find it difficult to believe in, when we can't all have a spiritually transforming experience, and a lot of the time they're probably too wrapped up in their own unhappiness.
People with mental health problems considering the afterlife situation and all that goes with it? It's just complicating an already near-unfathomable situation. Knowing what some of us do does NOT help resolve the everyday issues of life and/or mental health. Trying would simply add an additional layer of complication. Hell's bells, it's hard enough getting your head around survival when you DON'T have any issues more problemmatical than bereavement, a time when individuals are most likely to be receptive to the notion.

I read postings from many, many individuals (I don't just work here) who I see within moments are suffering with mental health problems of varying intensity. They believe all manner of stuff about themselves and about the so-called spirit world but don't have a single clue what any of it is about. I've engaged with 'em about the simplest of concepts and it's like talking to a tree - there is no understanding of even the simplest notions let alone understanding what an NDE account means or is about or what an 'eternal journey of the soul' means.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
Hmm. Yes...
hmm yes indeed.... I've been at this stuff way longer than most here so I'm playing that as my card. If anyone can trump me with more experience and/or knowledge then go ahead - I'm listening......

Ruby

I wasn't saying I had experience or knowledge but I still think people in the old days before our modern scientific age, or maybe people in other cultures where say, reincarnation is a belief, have more of a buffer against "the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune"! Okay, I'll go away! Goodnight all!!