autumn's approach

mac

janitor
A couple of weeks back I thought I was noticing a slight change, something different in the daylight and in the weather.

Daybreak was noticeably late, sunset equally so, dark morning and dark evenings, our home cool because there was no sunshine. Leaves on some deciduous trees could be seen to be paler, the rich green of spring and summer now slowly fading. Then yesterday a magpie flew down to forage on the grass of our lawn while a solitary wood pigeon wandered around my back yard.

This morning a sprottle of sparrows excitedly cheeped their presence while they made their way for a drink at a small water feature. The water in it was green because I had given up pointlessly changing it - no birds were around to drink it so why bother? Only the occasional bird had visited our yard after this spring's youngsters hatched and later left to forage further afield, their hard-working parents also gone.

But now, with just one more day before September begins and autumn arrives meteorologically, I can tell we've left behind a summer that never really happened where I live. It's the umpteenth year where I don't consider we had a 'proper' summer, just months of nondescript weather. Occasionally uncomfortably hot, mostly uncomfortably cool and dull, often too dry but sometimes hit by torrential rainstorms, quickly-passing but often damaging.

Maybe this is the way summer always was but I've simply forgotten?

bluebird

Major Contributor
It may be, in part, a difference in location. Where I live, we've had Summer, and we've sort of had Winter (though nowhere near as much snow as when I was a child), but we haven't had a proper Autumn or Spring for years. Autumn has always been my favorite season, but for the past 20-30 years summer has lasted late into it and winter has started early, and increasingly so over those years -- as a result, we only really get a few good weeks of Autumn and the same for Spring. It's a matter of humanity destroying the planet (climate change, pollution, other environmental hazards/disasters). I miss the beautiful Autumn weather we used to have.

mac

janitor
Severe and extreme weather appears to have become the norm. Years of evidence of the effects are indisputable. Some will be natural patterns of weather variability but other patterns will be down to the actions of humankind. In the next months, years and decades generations will experience unprecedented changes and even if we stopped immediately all the activities that are continuing and exacerbating the changes many now couldn't be stopped. It's a sobering thought that it's already too late unless all the experts have got it wrong - how I'd love to find out that they have but it's not likely.

Soon I won't be around and I could just say "It won't affect me so I don't care." and I'm sure some will say just that. But I DO care whether or not I'll be around to see the outcomes. I do care....

bluebird

Major Contributor
I'm glad I won't be around to see it, at least not the worst of it. At the same time, I feel so badly for those who will, especially those who are children now, or not yet born -- they didn't cause any of it, yet they will inherit the problems.