Anyone Seen An Apparition?

mac

janitor and administrator
Staff member
One of the more flat out terrifying moments of my life comes from when I was living on Hickim AFB (this was back before a pandering butterbar renamed the place and switched signs statewide merging the base with pearl harbor for a promotion so it was actually called Hickam USAFB) and for some history it is a Air Force Base connected to Pearl Harbor, which was attacked on 12-07-1941 bringing the US into WW2.

The reason this is relevant is because you can still see bullets in buildings and unexploded munitions in the water. It's amazing and I hope it doesn't get removed to be honest... (Cue :mad: at kitchen psych. Trying to make everything "safe" by taking a sledgehammer to it)

The point is that we have a whole lot of ghosts all over in the historic neighborhoods. In mine there were 2 of them in my house and my neighbors house and theey might have actually been the same guy.

What's interesting is that these 2 were actually intelligent but in a limited, one dimensional capacity. One would lock onto you and sort of speedwalk over agressively and the other would hide in rooms and panic When I was around nine or so I took out the trash and saw the damn thing. It was about 5'10 or 6'0, very skinny and walked very fast. It had a Bowie knife and no face as odd as that seems. At first I was shocked and it kept coming. After it gained 200 feet on me and it was moving about 5 miles and hour. I move that fast right now. Fortunately for me I was 10 times faster at that age so I turned around and ran all the way up to my parents bedroom where the lights were on and the doors were open but no one was there and I felt a lot of energy behind me. I heard my dog barking downstairs and I ran back outside because... Genetics? I'm a male? Idk. It was gone.... Completely gone...

I went back inside. I ran back inside fast as possible and everyone was there again, the house felt 10 degrees colder so it was back to normal temp. and my father walked around outside and so did my neighbor to make sure there wasn't a lunatic. (Eventually about 5 men were doing so but they all went back inside. I do believe someone was attacked that night across the neighborhood so everyone was wondering what the heck was going on).

The second was a hell of a lot more benevolent and he was a soldier that haunted my neighbors house and would have a absolute bonkers chimpout in the laundry room at night talking about artillery shells and telling him "get down soldier!!!" "The f****** Japs are bombing us" and "f*** there are bullets everywhere!!" He was at least somewhat communicate and if you tried to talk he could say a little bit about himself, mainly that he came out to paradise but not for this and would disappear quite soon. Over time they actually grew used to him. But his wife was terrified of it and their kids could not go in there after the evening or nightfall.

My guess is that the laundry machines (they would move violently and make plenty of noise) would enrage him a bit and he was obviously a soldier who probably died in the war.

The one who locked onto me I have no clue. Perhaps I have enough esp to sort of see the world through its eyes? The entire plane was lifeless and 10 degrees warmer than here. Completely quiet and perfectly silent. I think my stepmom had bad dreams about the ghost and would go hysterical. I for one saw shadows move unprovoked about twice when I was there in that house and the place had lots of negative energy.

My neighbors ghost was... A ghost.

What was mine? An evil one? Roberta has said before that evil spirits do exist. I wouldn't want to call it a demon simply because I don't think a being as high as a demon would be petty enough to randomly haunt women and children for kicks.

But on the most basic pretense that it was a evil (aka, severely terrifying and unwanted) belligerent and disembodied spirit that scared everyone I guess it was.

@mac @Ruby @Monika do you guys have any thoughts?

I'll pass, Kurt. Interpreting isn't my strong point.

Monika

One of the more flat out terrifying moments of my life comes from when I was living on Hickim AFB (this was back before a pandering butterbar renamed the place and switched signs statewide merging the base with pearl harbor for a promotion so it was actually called Hickam USAFB) and for some history it is a Air Force Base connected to Pearl Harbor, which was attacked on 12-07-1941 bringing the US into WW2.

The reason this is relevant is because you can still see bullets in buildings and unexploded munitions in the water. It's amazing and I hope it doesn't get removed to be honest... (Cue :mad: at kitchen psych. Trying to make everything "safe" by taking a sledgehammer to it)

The point is that we have a whole lot of ghosts all over in the historic neighborhoods. In mine there were 2 of them in my house and my neighbors house and theey might have actually been the same guy.

What's interesting is that these 2 were actually intelligent but in a limited, one dimensional capacity. One would lock onto you and sort of speedwalk over agressively and the other would hide in rooms and panic When I was around nine or so I took out the trash and saw the damn thing. It was about 5'10 or 6'0, very skinny and walked very fast. It had a Bowie knife and no face as odd as that seems. At first I was shocked and it kept coming. After it gained 200 feet on me and it was moving about 5 miles and hour. I move that fast right now. Fortunately for me I was 10 times faster at that age so I turned around and ran all the way up to my parents bedroom where the lights were on and the doors were open but no one was there and I felt a lot of energy behind me. I heard my dog barking downstairs and I ran back outside because... Genetics? I'm a male? Idk. It was gone.... Completely gone...

I went back inside. I ran back inside fast as possible and everyone was there again, the house felt 10 degrees colder so it was back to normal temp. and my father walked around outside and so did my neighbor to make sure there wasn't a lunatic. (Eventually about 5 men were doing so but they all went back inside. I do believe someone was attacked that night across the neighborhood so everyone was wondering what the heck was going on).

The second was a hell of a lot more benevolent and he was a soldier that haunted my neighbors house and would have a absolute bonkers chimpout in the laundry room at night talking about artillery shells and telling him "get down soldier!!!" "The f****** Japs are bombing us" and "f*** there are bullets everywhere!!" He was at least somewhat communicate and if you tried to talk he could say a little bit about himself, mainly that he came out to paradise but not for this and would disappear quite soon. Over time they actually grew used to him. But his wife was terrified of it and their kids could not go in there after the evening or nightfall.

My guess is that the laundry machines (they would move violently and make plenty of noise) would enrage him a bit and he was obviously a soldier who probably died in the war.

The one who locked onto me I have no clue. Perhaps I have enough esp to sort of see the world through its eyes? The entire plane was lifeless and 10 degrees warmer than here. Completely quiet and perfectly silent. I think my stepmom had bad dreams about the ghost and would go hysterical. I for one saw shadows move unprovoked about twice when I was there in that house and the place had lots of negative energy.

My neighbors ghost was... A ghost.

What was mine? An evil one? Roberta has said before that evil spirits do exist. I wouldn't want to call it a demon simply because I don't think a being as high as a demon would be petty enough to randomly haunt women and children for kicks.

But on the most basic pretense that it was a evil (aka, severely terrifying and unwanted) belligerent and disembodied spirit that scared everyone I guess it was.

@mac @Ruby @Monika do you guys have any thoughts?
I really can't say much because i never felt any soul as negative. If they do egsist maybe they just never crossed my path or i didn't really feel them same like i never met really evil or mean people in my life. I never lived in places like you describe. Also it depends a lot from perception and reaction of our own i guess. I think everything what we don't know, what we experience for the first time, scares us to some level. And then you know how it goes, hear the sound, let fear in and snowball affect comes. And if there is really some soul meaning bad so probably our fear would make them just more keen to tease us. I don't really know. Thats just my thoughts.

jobun

I'm not sure if my experience was an apparition per se but it was definitely something....
I was away on business in CT. My SIL and I went to a restaurant that was converted from an old home. the story is that some children had died in the home, and one of the rooms is always cold (the bedroom where they passed on). So after we ate dinner, we explored the restaurant, and went into the cold room. It was a little creepy in there, since both of us are a little sensitive. so we left the room pretty quickly. That night while I was asleep, I felt my blanket being pulled off of me from the foot of the bed. I opened my eyes and saw a black mass at the end of the bed, and I distinctly heard the sound of children laughing in my ear. It was around 4AM and it scared me a little, I think I even yelled out in my 1/2 sleep state. I don't know if it was the children playing tricks with me but it was startling and it has stayed with me. This happened about 8 - 10 years ago and I remember it clear as day.

Ruby

Oh no! I picked up a book in a waiting room this morning and didn't have time to notice the title or author as my appointment was imminent but it was about the mind. One case I happened to read about was of a man who had continual hallucinations in the lower part of his vision and above the midline life was continuing as normal! He had damaged his head in a car crash. In the piece he was saying to the doc that he knew the doctor didn't have a monkey in his lap but that's exactly how it appeared to him. The book had a no nonsense, down to earth medical approach, as you might guess. How does this square with apparitions? Is any of it really real? And yet, what does it indicate when apparitions are shared and can be seen correctly positioned in space from the vantage point of each? It's a very good question. Impossible to answer and very frustrating.

Ruby

I'm hardly the "Brain of Britain" (there's a UK radio quiz of that title) but after my above crisis I looked up DOPS as I've done before. (Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia). They have posted a number of videos to their website, hosted by British comedian, John Cleese, which you can watch if you scroll to the foot, and they're very enjoyable and interesting. I had still to see the ones with Prof E Kelly, which I watched on Saturday. He states, if I remember correctly, that people who have mystical experiences get "dismissed or pathologised". I like hearing about their years of research and how they believe they have the evidence that psi is real, although mainstream science doesn't recognise it. I think I have developed a real need to believe in it all, having experienced it. My life is so much better after the strange happenings and reading everything I can find on the subject, so I have to keep reading as it's easy to find yourself back in the mainstream view with material science. I just obviously prefer to believe my child lives on in another plane of existence somewhere. It makes a huge difference to the burden of grief felt by a mother. I can't possibly determine what's right and what's wrong, but experience of the "supernatural" makes a big difference. Folk like me must spend the rest of their lives in this undecided state, I now realise! Anyway, do watch the videos.

mac

Staff member
I'm hardly the "Brain of Britain" (there's a UK radio quiz of that title) but after my above crisis I looked up DOPS as I've done before. (Division of Perceptual Studies at the University of Virginia). They have posted a number of videos to their website, hosted by British comedian, John Cleese, which you can watch if you scroll to the foot, and they're very enjoyable and interesting. I had still to see the ones with Prof E Kelly, which I watched on Saturday. He states, if I remember correctly, that people who have mystical experiences get "dismissed or pathologised". I like hearing about their years of research and how they believe they have the evidence that psi is real, although mainstream science doesn't recognise it. I think I have developed a real need to believe in it all, having experienced it. My life is so much better after the strange happenings and reading everything I can find on the subject, so I have to keep reading as it's easy to find yourself back in the mainstream view with material science. I just obviously prefer to believe my child lives on in another plane of existence somewhere. It makes a huge difference to the burden of grief felt by a mother. I can't possibly determine what's right and what's wrong, but experience of the "supernatural" makes a big difference. Folk like me must spend the rest of their lives in this undecided state, I now realise! Anyway, do watch the videos.

I think you're probably right, Ruby, in your last-but-one sentence. Individuals who have lost loved ones encountering folk like me and others who have no doubts about survival but unable to feel convinced for themselves about what they see and hear.

I wish I had a way to help you become persuaded. :(

Ruby

Thanks mac. I'm much happier now having had the experiences and all the reading. There are many things in life that are uncertain anyway (Brexit!) This is just another.

mac

Staff member
Thanks mac. I'm much happier now having had the experiences and all the reading. There are many things in life that are uncertain anyway (Brexit!) This is just another.
A glass half-full rather than half-empty - I like it. :)

bluebird

I have seen a few things; as far as I can recall, all were at my grandmother's house. The most awesome (in the true sense of the word) and terrifying was one evening when I looked out through the bedroom doorway (the door was open) and saw a glowing figure of light towards the other end of the (not very long) hallway. My grandmother, my sister, and I, were all sleeping in the same bedroom. They were asleep, I definitely was not. The figure was basically the size and shape of a tall human, though if it had arms and legs then its arms were at its sides and its legs were together. It was kind of a yellowish color, the light of which it was apparently made -- definitely not white. Not a sickly yellow, or a banana peel yellow, not as yellow as that, just sort of a pale-ish, glowing yellow. There was no natural explanation -- it wasn't light coming through a window, and no lights were on in the house. It was SOLID light, not see-through at all. It was very bright, but it didn't hurt my eyes to look at it, and it didn't illuminate its surroundings at all. It scared the crap out of me, to the point that I woke up my sister, climbed into bed with her, and told her I'd explain in the morning (this, on a hot summer night with no air conditioning, and I hate being hot, but I couldn't stay where I could still see this thing). This thing didn't seem malevolent; I don't know what it was, or why it was there. Never saw it again.

Both my sister and I saw other things in that same house -- shadow figures, 2D images of people in color, other weird stuff. Other family members also saw and heard things over the years.

mac

Staff member
You can kinda understand that one reason our friends (mostly) unseen don't often make an appearance might be that they're made aware by their helpers that doing so could scare the crap out of just about anyone - even those they want to show their survival to!

We're hard-wired to react to frightening situations and wouldn't we all be pretty damned alarmed if we saw the figure of an unknown individual in our home? A real, solid recognisably human would be terrifying and we would feel threatened. A real-but-not-solid individual who's glowing and not a recognisable human would be even more frightening for most of us I'd guess. I am still tickled to this day when I think of a former friend who was a psychic/medium but was frightened of being in the dark by herself, presumably in case she saw a figure.

Given that basic communication with us in this world can be hard enough for a discarnate just imagine how much more difficult it might be to fabricate a clear, detailed solid form of oneself. Full-form materialisation wasn't commonplace even in the heyday of communication many decades ago. My guess is that in those times guides, teachers and helpers were involved in a massive push to communicate the simple message of survival. They succeeded wonderfully well in communicating through mediums but even with all that effort being made, full-form materialisation wasn't commonplace. More than now but still not much.

Ruby

I wonder why some buildings have a lot of ghostly activity like bluebird's house and others of similar age have none? The accepted notion is that bad things have happened in "haunted" places, but many buildings must have witnessed events just as ghastly and no ghostly activity is seen in them.

bluebird

Ruby,

My mother's family was not the happiest, so maybe that allowed for certain things to show themselves, or possibly even attracted things to that house -- I don't know, but it's one possibility.

If anyone has seen anything similar to the light-being thing I described, I'd really like to hear/read about it. The event I described took place some 35-40 or so years ago, and I'm still befuddled by it. I have no idea what that thing was.

Ruby

bluebird, in Leslie Kean's 2017 book "Surviving Death" she featured Jeffrey Kane, who had written a book called "Life as a Novice" after the death of his son. He sees "a golden, oval ball of light about twelve inches wide by eighteen inches high, suspended in the air six or seven feet away" from where he was sitting. He went to a medium several months later who told him he'd seen him as this light. I have this book at home and went to consult it because I'd remembered that description which sounds similar to the colour you mention. The thing you saw of course was much bigger. Incidentally, it doesn't convert him to any firm afterlife belief, though he had many amazing signs detailed in the book.

mac

Staff member
Ruby,

My mother's family was not the happiest, so maybe that allowed for certain things to show themselves, or possibly even attracted things to that house -- I don't know, but it's one possibility.

If anyone has seen anything similar to the light-being thing I described, I'd really like to hear/read about it. The event I described took place some 35-40 or so years ago, and I'm still befuddled by it. I have no idea what that thing was.

I can't relate to seeing the apparition you saw, bb, but I have a thought or two why he - or she - might have been there. The location, the house, is probably of no significance. What you've indicated about your mother's family most likely IS.

Mikey explains many events and occurrences as down to 'energy' and the energy of an unsettled/unhappy incarnate is something a discarnate may be attracted to. The potential reasons range from a concerned 'dead' family member wanting to help thru to a mischief-maker using that energy to tease, upset or frighten someone. Or it might be used just to enable a discarnate to draw near to the earth dimension without any particular intention, kinda out of curiosity about what would be experienced.
Alternatively their reason might be a burning desire to again get involved with this earth and its inhabitants.

bluebird

bluebird, in Leslie Kean's 2017 book "Surviving Death" she featured Jeffrey Kane, who had written a book called "Life as a Novice" after the death of his son. He sees "a golden, oval ball of light about twelve inches wide by eighteen inches high, suspended in the air six or seven feet away" from where he was sitting. He went to a medium several months later who told him he'd seen him as this light. I have this book at home and went to consult it because I'd remembered that description which sounds similar to the colour you mention. The thing you saw of course was much bigger. Incidentally, it doesn't convert him to any firm afterlife belief, though he had many amazing signs detailed in the book.

Thank you, Ruby. That sounds a lot like ball lighting, which I've actually seen once in my life too. I'm not saying that is what he saw, it just made me think of it.

bluebird

I can't relate to seeing the apparition you saw, bb, but I have a thought or two why he - or she - might have been there. The location, the house, is probably of no significance. What you've indicated about your mother's family most likely IS.

Mikey explains many events and occurrences as down to 'energy' and the energy of an unsettled/unhappy incarnate is something a discarnate may be attracted to. The potential reasons range from a concerned 'dead' family member wanting to help thru to a mischief-maker using that energy to tease, upset or frighten someone. Or it might be used just to enable a discarnate to draw near to the earth dimension without any particular intention, kinda out of curiosity about what would be experienced.
Alternatively their reason might be a burning desire to again get involved with this earth and its inhabitants.

Quite possibly, mac. Insofar as I got any "feeling" or impression from the being or whatever it was, though, I don't think it was a dead loved one or family member. I honestly don't think it was ever human. As I mentioned, although I was terrified, I didn't feel malevolence from it; I didn't really feel benevolence either. It is truly a mystery to me.

mac

Staff member
Quite possibly, mac. Insofar as I got any "feeling" or impression from the being or whatever it was, though, I don't think it was a dead loved one or family member. I honestly don't think it was ever human. As I mentioned, although I was terrified, I didn't feel malevolence from it; I didn't really feel benevolence either. It is truly a mystery to me.

I was just guessing, bb, based on what little I know. The effect of your visitor appearing that way is understandable and there is no way of my knowing who it was or what its reason for appearing was either. That you got no feeling of either benevolence or malevolence may - but may not - be significant.

What you saw, how you felt, may not have had any linkage to what the visitor intended. That visitor may not ever have been human but equally - or perhaps more likely - is that it did used to be. But whatever you witnessed still may not have had any relevance to you personally or your family, just a random discarnate using the energy it stumbled on for no particular purpose.

bluebird

I was just guessing, bb, based on what little I know. The effect of your visitor appearing that way is understandable and there is no way of my knowing who it was or what its reason for appearing was either. That you got no feeling of either benevolence or malevolence may - but may not - be significant.

What you saw, how you felt, may not have had any linkage to what the visitor intended. That visitor may not ever have been human but equally - or perhaps more likely - is that it did used to be. But whatever you witnessed still may not have had any relevance to you personally or your family, just a random discarnate using the energy it stumbled on for no particular purpose.

Agreed. If anything, I kind of got the feeling that it was simply observing. Well, if there is an afterlife, maybe I'll find out what it was once I get there. ;)

mac

Staff member
Agreed. If anything, I kind of got the feeling that it was simply observing. Well, if there is an afterlife, maybe I'll find out what it was once I get there. ;)

On that final point, bb, it's what I'm feeling increasingly nowadays as this old fart enters the last fourth/quarter of his lifetime. At best it's the last quarter - it could be a much smaller fraction than that! :D ;)

Ruby

I had the sudden thought this morning that if apparitions are merely hallucinations of the mind, then why would it be common for them to be of only part of a body? For example, mine was of the body from the upper chest down; no face. You'd think the face would be the main point of the mind wishing to conjure up an image of the deceased. Instead, the head area was this massive, slightly swirling blackness, with density and depth, as if there was something inside it.

Ruby

I was interested to see if anyone had any insight into my last post yesterday and was looking at the list of threads. I noticed that one person, presumably Baob, had viewed it, and the number of views was now 3,263. Yesterday was my birthday - 26.3! I never know what to make of these things, but thanks to Baob for giving me the opportunity to say thanks to my dear deceased!

Hi Ruby,
You are welcome! Happy birthday! I gave you the "like" because what you said makes sense. Your loved one is living in different dimension from ours, so only part of it can reflect in our earth. If you see a perfect image, you probably need to be doubted. I wish I can have this experience.

Ruby

Thanks Baob, it's actually terrifying. Dead people are not supposed to be! I still feel nervous in the dark. Terrifying, but thrilling!

Thanks Baob, it's actually terrifying. Dead people are not supposed to be! I still feel nervous in the dark. Terrifying, but thrilling!
Leslie Kean on her book "Surviving Death" described her experience: "This figure was right next o my bed!....I could see the shape of a head, and the body was like a dark cloak----no arms or legs, just a cloaked form. I stared, and the head was slightly lighter in tone than the darker, rounded body underneath, I couldn't see any features of the face but I felt it to be male. The lower part was blocked by the bed, in a dark space. The figure seemed full-size, and I saw clearly in the moonlight that it blocked out the picture on the wall behind it. It was so close, I could have sat up and touched it." "But I lay there without moving, fixated on it. Somehow I knew it wasn't going to hurt me. Then it registered that this was not a normal person. My fear increased. As I felt the fear, the form began to slowly dissolve." She suspected the apparition might be her brother who died many years ago because that night she was sleeping in his room.

Ruby

That's a coincidence because her book is the only one I have bought, everything else I've found online! I read it avidly when I got my mitts on it, and when I read the excerpt you've quoted above I was beside myself, because she sounds a sensible, measured sort, and I thought, aside from the fact she has a book to sell, she is an investigative journalist!
I also was pleased to see that she found the experience frightening, because people have said to me that it must have been very comforting, which I remember is along the lines of what one of her contributors says is what people say to him when he relates his experience, and he finds that patronising, which I do too!
Okay, after the event it was great to look back on and consider the implications; death has lost it's sting and so on, but at the time, it certainly wasn't.
Another thing is that I hid under the covers and had the strangest night; like passing out cold and woke up in the same position still under the covers. Normally I'm a poor sleeper and get up several times, lie awake and feel hours are passing. Even as a child reading under the covers with a torch I had to poke my head up for air. I didn't spend all night like that. Yet it was February and when I awoke it was daylight and 8.30am!
Thanks for reminding me of it. The weirdest part is I've been lying on the couch here this morning. I haven't slept because I have a stomach bug, and thinking about getting the book off the shelf to have another read of it!!