• A resource for those seeking a greater understanding of survival and what follows death.

Angels

bluebird

Significant Contributor
I'm interested in hearing the ways in which ALF members view angels (or the equivalent in your faith, if such beings exist in that faith but are called by another name). I'm not so much interested in hearing the official stance on the matter of any particular religion(s); really I would like to hear what you think about angels -- do you believe they exist? if so, what do you think is their nature and/or purpose? Have you ever seen, encountered, had an experience with a being you believe was an angel or similar -- and if so, please feel free to share that experience if you are ok with doing so.

Ruby

Hi Bluebird, I have no experience to relate but I recommend the radio programme which is available online called "A Bright Yellow Light". The guest, Nadim Ednan-Laperouse, had an interesting sighting and he seems very credible. Angels is how he described what he saw. It was quite a startling revelation as he is well-known for what happened to him and his family on this particular occasion which led to his strange experience. Angels may not have a purpose, they may just exist like we exist, but in another dimension close to us and sometimes the conditions are right for us to see them. Angels are often portrayed in classical art as the heavenly host and all that. They are seen as heavenly messengers. That probably stems from the annunciation but there may be other instances of their messenger role in the bible. The idea of a guardian angel is very appealing. The angel of Mons is an example of, well, I don't know what exactly. There are many examples of people in extreme circumstances recalling a companion who was with them and saw them through the worst of it but who mysteriously disappeared when they reached safety, and could not be traced. The question is obviously whether we create these visions to help ourselves. Mr Ednan-Laperouse would have had to do it at lightening speed, instantaneously, and powerfully enough to convince himself it was real. The angel of Mons was seen by many so they would have had to have had a mass simultaneous hallucination of the same thing. I think I am prepared to believe that such beings exist. If we are here, why not others, is my simple view of it. We are only equipped with our five senses to live on this planet. We think we're very clever and can detect everything there is out there but we're limited in what we can know, is what I believe. I can't go further than that.

bluebird

Significant Contributor
Thanks, Ruby -- I found the "A Bright Yellow Light" program on the BBC website, and have saved it to listen to a bit later.

I don't know if angels exist, or what exactly they are if they do, but I agree that the idea of guardian angels is quite appealing. I have read some of the accounts in which people in extreme circumstances relay stories of someone having shown up to help them and then disappeared once the crisis was over and other help had arrived (such as in the case of a car accident, for example). My guess is that at least some of those occurrences come from self-created visions, and some are the result of actual living people who helped and then left, but I also think it's possible that some of them are actually some kind of spiritual helpers. Maybe a more advanced level of soul? I don't know.

The Angels of Mons, at least according to Wikipedia, seems to most likely have been a mass hallucination possibly combined with some retold stories, but who knows -- neither of us were actually there.

In any case, I have to agree with Shakespeare, via Hamlet: "There are more things in heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." The universe is a vast and mysterious place, and our existence within it even more so. I would never presume to think that we know more than a tiny bit of what there is to know, so I would never say that angels don't exist, and I hope that they do.

Ruby

"You had a hallucination" was repeated to me aggressively when I told someone what had happened to me and I tried to say that that is the name we give it but it doesn't explain the cause, any more so than any collection of symptoms we give a name to means that, say, chicken pox has got you. I've got that Oliver Sacks book "Hallucinations" and I really must read it properly but at the time I bought it I didn't want to know it was all in my head. But now I know better. We just can't know.
I hope you enjoy the radio programme. It was broadcast in the evening on Christmas Eve a few years ago when I was pottering in the kitchen and it was quite magical.

bluebird

Significant Contributor
I always like to read/hear about the personal experiences of people, so I do appreciate you pointing me towards the radio program -- I had not heard of this particular person/story/experience previously.

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
I hadn't seen this conversation running before this Friday morning.

I've considered the notion of angels on many occasions in a similar way to how I've considered other unfathomable matters about which we have little detailed guidance. I'm little the wiser now than I ever was! ;) Nothing new there then! lol

To the best of my interpretation, angels are not some kind of special life form so much as highly spiritually-evolved entities. I see all matter - living and inanimate alike - as of source, from source and identically similar-to source. For me that means angels are no different from ourselves other than in their purpose and their spiritual 'status'.

I do think they have very specific and very wide-ranging responsibilities and that they are sometimes perceived by us ordinary mortals. In such situations I'd expect it's because these so-called angels have drawn close to our dimension for some unknown reason and that psychically-sensitive individuals sometimes perceive their presence, often seemingly visually. Their appearance - I think - is shaped by the way these sensitive individuals think of angels, either actively or in the background. Hence they may have wings and appear in bright light etc. because it's often what we were taught as children.

The role of a so-called guardian angel is somewhat more closely defined and involves its existence close to the physical dimensions more frequently. Such an entity is closely associated with an incarnate, the role of the entity likely variable but supportive. I do not, however, see the role of a guardian angel as one where it is perpetually alongside the incarnate. Beyond supporting an individual in whatever way is appropriate I don't have a clue what one does however!

Ruby

"Their appearance- I think - is shaped by the way these individuals ... " (I've forgotten how to do the cut and paste). Yes, filtered through our own consciousness and expectations in a similar way to the near death experience, perhaps.

bluebird

Significant Contributor
Glad for your input, mac. :)

I do wonder whether angels are their own "species" (for lack of a better term), created as such, or whether they are souls of highly spiritually evolved human beings, presumably those who have been on the other side for quite some time. I suppose ultimately it doesn't much matter, so long as angels, if they do exist, "do good". Although, if humans can become angels, that's kind of something for which one might want to aim.

I agree that if angels do exist, those sensitive to that sort of thing may have seen them, and that to them their appearance is likely similar to what they expect (i.e., wings to those who were raised Christian, etc.).

As far as guardian angels -- if there are such beings, then I agree that one's guardian angel is not constantly by one's side, but is there in times of real need and crisis.

As with all else of this nature, to me it is all conjecture, but I do find the topic interesting. I believe I posted here on ALF, years ago, about some sort of being of light I saw in the back bedroom in my grandmother's (quite haunted) row-home in Philadelphia -- that being was literally made of light, and to this day I still don't know what it was. It could have been an angel, or a ghost, or an inter-dimensional being, or even an alien I suppose. All I know is that it scared me, and it was "awesome" in the true sense of the word -- I didn't sense any malevolence from it, it's just that it was so otherworldly that it freaked me out.

Last edited:

Ruby

Oh! Did you describe all this more fully in the old post? For example, did you see it at night? Do you remember which thread it is?

mac

janitor / administrator
Staff member
Glad for your input, mac. :)
always my pleasure, bb

I do wonder whether angels are their own "species" (for lack of a better term), created as such, or whether they are souls of highly spiritually evolved human beings, presumably those who have been on the other side for quite some time. I suppose ultimately it doesn't much matter, so long as angels, if they do exist, "do good". Although, if humans can become angels, that's kind of something for which one might want to aim.
Oh there are some interesting points in that..... ;)

Re the first sentence I am minded to see 'em as a specific "species" inasmuch as they came about in ways not related to this physical dimension and indeed, I feel they are unlikely to have incarnated in our world or anywhere else. For me they're spiritually-advanced inasmuch as they left source but went in a 'direction' unlike our own because that's what they were intended to do.

As with all else of this nature, to me it is all conjecture, but I do find the topic interesting. I believe I posted here on ALF, years ago, about some sort of being of light I saw in the back bedroom in my grandmother's (quite haunted) row-home in Philadelphia -- that being was literally made of light, and to this day I still don't know what it was. It could have been an angel, or a ghost, or an inter-dimensional being, or even an alien I suppose. All I know is that it scared me, and it was "awesome" in the true sense of the word -- I didn't sense any malevolence from it, it's just that it was so otherworldly that it freaked me out.
It's totally understandable you were freaked out by such an appearance, whatever or whoever it was. There's no knowing for certain what it was and it might have been any of the categories of beings you've mentioned. As you've characterised the home as haunted it may well be the entity was simply a so-called ghost as presumably others had seen things there. Why places end up haunted I don't have a clue and neither do I understand what the word "haunted" means in reality.

In general terms beings appearing as great light are generally seen as benevolent although there's no certainty that anyone viewing such an entity will necessarily experience the event comfortably.