1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Winter Grief/Afterlife Retreat in Florida

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by DenverGuy, Oct 8, 2019.

1. baob

baob New Member

Thanks for sharing your experience, DG! It is very hard to find a good medium. So far I have tried six mediums, including psychi drawing, writing and radio mediumship. In the past year I searched the reviews trying to look for the mediums who can identify the spirits' names. The medium drew my mother-in-law instead of my husband. I asked why she didn't draw my husband. She said she had no control of it. It was controlled by the spirit. The information she delivered was quite spot-on.

2. mac

mac Staff Member

update - Only important to me concerning my 'duties' on ALF I found today that your posting plus one other had ended up in the 'Spam' section of my email Inbox. I hadn't noticed but now I'll keep an eye out for anything else mis-identified by the spam software.

3. mac

mac Staff Member

Thanks for that, DG. I think you were fully justified in feeling 'short changed'. Not because the practitioners didn't link to Mila (have I got her name right? my memory as I grow older is increasingly unreliable :confused::() but because it sounded like they kept going when they hadn't properly checked they had a relevant link. And from reading your account some information sounds like psychic/auric reading - but not all.

That's a common and confusing aspect of claimed communication links - there may be a lot of information that's not persuasive about there being a link to a spirit but then there will be something unexpected that seems evidential but is from someone unexpected with a family connection. Please don't ask me why this happens because I just don't know but I have mentioned possible reasons in the past.

I'm very sad things didn't work out for you, DG. :(

ps Yes I'm enjoying the comparative warmth of AZ even though winters here in The Valley appear to be cooler and wetter than they used to be - but we don't have to shovel any of that white stuff!

4. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I will get back to you individually tomorrow - sorry, it's late.

A lot of what I learned and heard is common knowledge among those of us familiar with this approach. Even though I have heard certain things about this a million times, I like to hear them again. Here are some of the key points that I can recall.
    • The brain is not the mind. It's only part of the mind. It's more like a "receiver" or "transmitter" of our thoughts. The mind is vast and never dies with brain death.
    • He said that rats the world over are running through mazes faster over the years. The implication is that they are learning collectively. Interesting...
    • He recalled NDE anecdotes in which blind patients had described objects not easily seen in the operating room, as well as on the hospital's roof.
    • Significant aspects of the human personality survive physical death.
    • Our loved ones don't miss us because they are with us much of the time.
    • There is an unfortunate and cruel paradox: The more we want contact with someone who has crossed over, the harder it is for that to happen.
    • Our loved ones have NOT vanished.
    • When you have a thought about someone who has crossed over, that thought might actually be coming from them to you.
    • There is a lot of evidence to support the notion that there is no "afterlife." It's just life, and our time here is only a short detour. Our real life is not what we experience here. It's much more than that.
    • We will be reunited with those we love.
    • Those who experience (or even read about) NDEs don't fear dying.
    • Those who believe that their loved ones are still with us do better, in general, with grief.
    • Dr. P mentioned the Scole Experiments in a positive way. Of course I have also read negative things about them.
    • When someone dies they don't vanish.
    • He doesn't like James Randi.
    • Piero supports the view of the Larson and Hoyt study that pointed to the popular yet pessimistic consensus within the grief and bereavement literature that grief counseling was at best ineffective and could cause harm. On checking, I have seen articles that challenge that conclusion.
    • The University of Virginia School of Medicine has a Division of Perceptual Studies that is dedicated to this subject. I think that lends some air of legitimacy. You should check some of their videos - it's fascinating stuff. I hope they make a major discovery.
    • The mediums discussed remote viewing, auto-writing, etc., but said the best way to communicate with those who have crossed over is by night visit. They might be coming to you, or you might be going to them. When we're falling asleep or just waking up the brain is in its best position for that. Tomorrow I will upload their simple instructions for requesting such a visit. They are short, simple, and direct.
    • He stated that there is overwhelming evidence to support the conclusion that life continues after physical death.
    That's the gist of it. I would recommend their grief retreats to anyone who is dealing with a painful loss and wants to dig deeper.

5. mac

mac Staff Member

The last point is one I've made repeatedly here on ALF. Yet so often it's plain that it's not helpful for some who are bereaved and mourning. For them only personal evidence will do and I get that but as an earlier point mentions it appears the more desperate we are the apparently less is the chance we'll get that personal reassurance from their contacting us.

Without context I'm unable to judge whether the mention of the Scole Experiment is relevant or justified but as a Foundation supporter - who was VERY supportive of the aims and motives - throughout the time activities took place I'm not persuaded anything revelatory or useful was an outcome.

I'm open to, and interested in, the idea that contact can be achieved at the edges of sleep. I would be very interested in hearing from anyone who had tried the technique and particularly anyone experiencing success.

The notion of there being only life and not afterlife in my view is initially unimportant for those seeking help and support for the pain they're feeling. It's essentially an academic argument that is fine for those for have found their personal reassurance about survival of death. I realise and accept I again don't know the context of this point but this observation is one I make regularly anyway irrespective of context.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    DenverGuy likes this.
  6. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

You're welcome, Baob. I am sorry that you didn't get a connection with your husband. I can imagine that that was disappointing. I will contact the two mediums I worked with and find out why that could be. I will post anything that I hear from them.

Mac, your memory is intact. Yes, her name is Mila (Milagros "miracles" in Spanish). Thanks for your concern. That's interesting that it's cool and wet there. I can't imagine The Valley like that!

You really nailed it in the first paragraph of your last post.

This is a quote from Parisetti: "The idea that when a person dies they vanish is fiction. They are around us not because we want them to be (although we do), but because the evidence shows that." I know that's not too different but I wanted to put that out there.

He had a positive view of Dr. Alan Botkin and Dr. Craig Hogan's EMDR and induced after-death communication work.

I, too, would like to learn more about the edges of sleep...

7. mac

mac Staff Member

It used to be less common than it is now - changing climate affecting the whole globe.

beautifully expressed! :)

This is Bianca's field (poeticblue) and she knows a lot about dreams and dreaming. I hope she pops in to give you her thoughts.

DenverGuy likes this.
  8. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

Thanks for your very interesting post, DenverGuy. You'd think the induced after-death communication work of Drs C Hogan and A Botkin must surely throw into doubt the reality of our experiences . It makes me feel rather self-conscious talking about mine, as if we who've experienced these things have somehow just managed to tap into a trick psychologists use to help grieving people. When I first read about that therapy I was really dismayed. In fact, other's failure to receive signs also has the same effect. Because you think if these people haven't had anything maybe it's all in one's head. The less subjective evidence from near-death experiencers and mediums is more persuasive for everyone, maybe even for those of us who've had ADC's. Having said that, I'm very half-way between belief and disbelief and that's probably the way I'll stay, as I was completely blown away at the time and still am. I just find it hard to believe in. People were more impressed with the lights going out event that happened at the end of November, as again, that wasn't subjective, although my husband says it was a coincidence!

DenverGuy likes this.
  9. mac

mac Staff Member

I wish I was able to provide you with the reassurance that personal experiences are genuine and authentic and not just going on inside your mind.

This stuff's been happening since goodness knows when and in my view modern day research is unilkely to improve on the persuasiveness of such experiences. You can focus on the inconclusiveness of scientific experiments or you can heed the vast amount of material that says something very different. It's a personal thing.

I guess we all use a personal benchmark of what's persuasive and reluctantly I've accepted that nothing I say will change the views of a Doubting Thomas or Thomasina. :( Each has to find her/his own conviction.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

I did earlier suggest, DG, it would be nice to see a photo of the two of you together as your Profile picture. :)