1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Winter Grief/Afterlife Retreat in Florida

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by DenverGuy, Oct 8, 2019.

1. bluebird

bluebird Major Contributor

Thanks. :) I guess your duck friend and I are a bit alike, as well.

2. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Well, I'm back. That was quite an experience. It was a solid 2 1/2 days and nights. Very difficult. But it has re-energized me into diving back into these forums, watching videos, reading books, etc. I want to be more active. I am going to post about this twice. First, I will tell you my take on things, and then I will write about the presenters and the content later today.
    The sessions were really about three approaches: Scientific/afterlife, mediums, and grief. Even though this is not really a grief site I will mention a few things about that subject.
    First and foremost, the two hosts (husband and wife) do these twice per year and are to be commended for the amount of work needed to pull this off. They run these in Florida and Connecticut. This non-profit isn't getting rich on these. The days and nights were packed full and there is little slack time.
    The attendees, mostly women, were very nice people and you could see their pain. We met in a large room and then were separated into smaller groups for various sessions. They had special breakout sessions for parents who had lost kids to suicide, for example. I can't imagine.

One evening I blew off a labyrinth walk and found a small group at the bar. It was a nice break from the sadness and stress. We were drinking and I was joking around and one of the ladies at my table complemented me on my appearance and my personality, which felt good, and she said that I could be making someone happy. She then gave me the ol' "move on' line. I was shocked to hear that at a place like that. I was nice about my response but I found it jarring. She didn't agree with me when I said I didn't want anyone to get in the way between me and my girlfriend. I liked her, she was smart and trying to be helpful, but we disagreed on that. She had lost her son in a surfing accident. I kind of think there are differences between losing a son or daughter and losing a partner. I don't mean less or more pain, but they are different losses. Does that make sense? Some people just can't get the meaning behind that. She was giving me the line about how "she wants me to be happy," which has been covered here before. I just find it easier to just not involve people with that viewpoint in my discussions.

Dr. Piero-Calvi Paresetti, MD, is a terrific guy, a great speaker, and he presents some very convincing arguments that life continues. He is not a researcher but he is a scholar. He has worked extensively with Dr. Raymond Moody, as well as with Kenneth Ring. He has also studied the work of David Fontana and other giants in the field. He speaks like a scientist and seems to be evidence-based. Importantly, he said that although he is 60, he has never had a major loss.

The FFF works with the Windbridge Institute. Their missions are similar, but apparently the Institute is more about research.

My whole whole time there I gotta say that my sadness was intense and my girlfriend was always on my mind. It was a welcome-but-painful reminder of how much she means to me. I think the conference may have moved the needle a little into believing that life continues, but an elusive sign or a vivid night visit would work wonders.

Please check back here if you want to read about some of the information that they provided. I will try and do that within the next 6 hours.

baob and Monika like this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

Very similar but maybe for different reasons, bb. Sorry for the late response but I didn't get a notification of your posting. That's happened on a few other occasions on ALF so it's not that I was ignoring you. :)

4. bluebird

No problem. :)

5. mac

mac Staff Member

Hi DG - It's tea-time in AZ and the first opportunity I've had to read your account properly. I'm disappointed for you that it didn't change anything major but heartened you're maybe a little less-resistant to one day accepting the message of survival.

I'll look forward to hearing more about the rest of the course.

6. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Hi Mac. Sorry - I might sound a little dumb here, but are you in Arizona now? :)
    I appreciate your comments. I certainly have an open mind and want it to be true. My experiences with the mediums at the retreat were awful, and that reduced my optimism a little. I will cover that.

7. mac

mac Staff Member

Yep I'm in AZ during the winter. :)

I wish there were predictable results with mediumship but sadly that's not how things work. :( No medium can guarantee results but certain mediums have more success than others as I've often said before. I wish I could suggest alternative places you could check out for a medium but here in the US there's a dearth of churches and centers. It seems there are comparatively few mediums and most do it as a business. No problem in that save for long waits and high charges.

I'm really downhearted about your experience, DG, and although the mediumship didn't work for you I'd like to hear what happened if you'd care to share and provided it won't get you down 'talking' about it. :(

8. bluebird

I'm sorry the experience wasn't everything you hoped for. ((((hugs))))

DenverGuy likes this.
  9. Ruby

Ruby Established Member

You're right about the difference in the losses, DenverGuy, as losing a son or daughter is very poignant and even shocking as it's the wrong order, and you can feel numb for a long time. Losing your partner means you lose everything, and life must be profoundly altered. What a shame about the mediums though. I was rooting for something to happen.

10. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Mac, I hope you're enjoying AZ. Thank you, Bluebird. Ruby, I appreciate that.

The medium part didn't bother me too much, in retrospect. In 2 breakout sessions of 10 people each, the medium missed doing me. (There were 3 mediums and 3 sessions. I can't recall the first). I wondered it that was the message, that my girlfriend didn't want to hear from me. That prospect was painful. But then I met separately with both mediums and heard: "There was water. An ocean or a lake. You both liked water. I sense the east coast. Her name was Margaret or Mary." BOTH mediums had said that. In addition, a medium a few years ago had said the same thing. I just realize now that my father had a terrific wife (who has crossed over) who lived in Pennsylvania, they had an island summer house in the Chesapeake Bay, and her name was Mary. I should have though about that before! If so, it is terrific that she came through, but I would have thought my girlfriend would have been first. You know? I feel bad saying that.
    But other stuff they were saying made NO sense, but they kept forging on. Others in the room later told me they thought that was really strange.
    In other medium sessions with other people they were awkward. In several you could tell there was no connection, but they stayed with it. And then stuff like: "He wore a uniform. I am sensing an authority figure. A lot of people liked him. He is proud of you. He cares about your health..." Stuff like that. I wasn't buying it.

I think the problem is with me. I expected too much. I wanted to hear personal words from my girlfriend being relayed, heartfelt stuff that connected with me and not impersonal facts and details. I hope that makes sense. But I don't think it works that way.

Sorry about the delay - I WILL get that other stuff posted later today.
    Again, thanks for your comments. I really appreciate it.