1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Why the pursuit of happiness naturally includes melancholy

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by vic smyth, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Those of you that may or may not know me, I generally view the world with rose colored glasses (at least on my better days) and do not subscribe to the popular view on this forum that "we learn from suffering", so suffering is good. Then I read this article that really sheds some light on the subject and gives plenty of evidence that I might be wrong. So I thought I'd share it: Why the pursuit of happiness naturally includes melancholy

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

2. Birki

Birki Member

Hi vic,

I agree that one doesn't need suffering to progress spiritually. But, I do think it is possible to learn from suffering, though to me that does not mean "suffering is good". So I guess I don't really subscribe to what you consider the poplular view on this forum. However I really don't think the article you linked to argues for the matter one way or the other. It's just one guy's opinion about his view of the world. Frankly, I found it mildly depressing. ;)

3. Hi Vic

All my life I've been accused of over optimism, so I too look at the world through the same glasses you do. As to the suffering and learning thing, I think that situations will always provide opportunity for learning, whether those situations are negative or possitive, there are lessons to be had, that's both spiritual and emotional growth, character building. I do not subscribe to the idea that the only reason we are put here (or choose to be here) is exclusively to learn lessons.

I do however believe that there are experiences and growth that are exclusively available in a physical world and I will always believe that we are here to try and enjoy this life for what its worth, for the time we are living it, the lessons happen by default, not by design. Just my opinion.

4. Celera

Celera Active Member

Vic, apart from any assessment of whose ideas are "right" or "wrong" -- whatever that means anyway -- I applaud your willingness to examine different ideas. If only we were all more open to considering new perspectives, we would all learn much more than we do from our sufferings. :)

5. Thank-you for your kind words. I often learn more from those that express views different from my own, than those who are in agreement with me. Whenever I read something and think, "Hmm, maybe I'm wrong and have to rethink my position", is when I truly grow.

With Lovingkindness (metta),
    vic

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012