1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Why the after life probably isn't true as far as I can tell.

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Club Tropicana, Sep 30, 2017.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I confess I know only the name of this guy but know nothing about what he had to say.

2. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I was recently made aware of the non-profit Swedenborg Foundation, and I have to say that I am pretty fascinated by the guy himself, his interest and, hopefully, his knowledge. It's impressive that someone from the 1700s is so respected even today that there is a foundation on this subject that is dedicated to his work and beliefs.

The foundation has quite a few very intriguing videos on YouTube, for what it's worth. I'll throw in a link here just for the heck of it. https://www.youtube.com/user/offTheLeftEye/videos

Monika likes this.
  3. mac

I haven't had chance to checkout any of his stuff but if it's similar to what I know of another individual who wrote under the name 'Allan Kardec' the delivery feels very dated. I'll take a look at Swedenborg's info. later.

4. Monika

Monika Active Member

Hej. I also was looking videos of this foundation where they represent Swedenborgs thoughts. I really enjoyed :)
    Also i was looking through his book "Heaven and hell". I still did not read it from the beginning till end but one chapter called "Marriages in heaven" i read over and over again. Everytime when im uppset i read it. So i almost know it by heart :) There i find something very similar how i feel and understand. We both with Michel used to feel like one. Exactly one. You know the feeling when you feel like you and other person are like perfect fitting puzzle parts. So perfect that when you connect this line which used to divide one part from another simply dissapears and it becomes into one piece. And so i found that Swedenborg has his explanation about angels. When 2 minds of loving people connects into 1 it becomes 1 mind and creates 1 angel. Meanwhile you still stay as 2 personalities. Isnt that beautiful? :)
    There is this book free to read in the link i shared under thread Literature if someone has interest :)

Bill Z likes this.
  5. Monika

Monika Active Member

To my opinion it differs from delivery of Allan Kardec :)

6. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

What I like is that the foundation has brought Swedenborg's philosophies into today's world.

Last edited: May 19, 2018
  7. mac

I wonder, though, what relevance that philosophy actually has in today's world?

I say that because Modern Spiritualism - the religion and philosophy founded around 1884 that underpins my understanding - seems now to have little to say, little to offer. Yet in the UK it has a wide network of churches and centers and mediumship that demonstrates its fundamental message of survival and communication with those passed over.

I wonder if the Swedenborg Foundation is attracting a large audience?

Kurt likes this.
  8. Kurt

Kurt Member

I am a fan of philosophy, yet I also believe that in the current decade it is irrelevant... it is to early to say hat for the millennium itself, but the early 21st century? The trend of irrelevance has been struck.

9. mac

Can philosophies ever be irrelevant? If so what will replace them?

pandora97 likes this.
  10. Kurt

Kurt Member

Although they may be richly saturated with wisdom which makes them a beacon of light in an otherwise bleak world, certain philosophies are hard to apply to your lifestyle a lot of the time. For example Meditations by Emperor Marcus Aurelius has very great advice on how to be a good person, but I have discovered in life that society is set up like a boiling crab pot. Whenever one crab almost gets out, the other pull them back in. Most people are jealous of the success of others.

Usually whenever someone tries to be a decent human being or turns out successful, they receive a lot of backlash, which usually makes them retaliate until they are back at square 1.

Then again, my outlook might change as I move on to a better setting. The second I get to one I intend to re-attempt the application of philosophical principles to my living.

If I was to replace the application of philosophy, I would choose research into spiritualism or anything spiritual in the 1st place. (which would include the further study of philosophy ironically, just without the application to living)

Only time will tell. I intend to revisit this in an independent thread in the future after I attempt the application of said principles. Hopefully it is successful.

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated.

11. mac

Any thoughts I may have ? Well you used a lot of words above, Kurt, but I still can't decide if they answered my earlier questions ....

12. Kurt

Kurt Member

In modern society, if you apply them you get backlashed thus they may be somewhat irrelevant depending on the situation.

13. mac

What does "backlashed" mean?

14. Kurt

Kurt Member

a strong and adverse reaction by a large number of people, especially to a social or political development.

15. mac

Would social or political development, then, be equivalent to philosophy?

16. Kurt

Kurt Member

If you try to apply it to your life I could see it being considered a social development.

17. mac

Would that, then, be considered equivalent to a philosophy?

18. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Honestly, I don't know about relevance. They have 531 members. That just means people who pay them regularly.

The say they have 450,000 followers on Facebook (which I refuse to use), and I know some of their YouTube videos have over a million views. They have over 60,000 subscribers.

From their site:
    "The Swedenborg Foundation is a nonprofit organization whose purpose is to help people learn about Emanuel Swedenborg. We are currently in the process of creating a new translation of his works from the original Latin — The New Century Edition of the Works of Emanuel Swedenborg — and we also maintain the older Standard Edition.
    Part of our mission is to help people find new ways to engage with Swedenborg’s thought, and our most important outlet for doing so is the offTheLeftEye YouTube channel, home to our weekly webcast Swedenborg & Life."

Last edited: May 21, 2018 at 4:49 PM
  19. mac

Figures can be interesting but also misleading. Viewings of YouTube videos mean exactly what, I wonder? I don't do Facebook either and wouldn't take a scrap of notice even of umpteen million viewings because I have no context for assessing why folk watch and what videos mean to them.

I can only hope the Swedenborg Foundation's aims are being achieved.

Kurt likes this.
  20. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I agree. The numbers mean little to me. I do like their message, and you might enjoy their approach. I think their videos are very encouraging and enlightening. I really need to watch some tonight after watching James Randi and his take on mediums.