1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Why the after life probably isn't true as far as I can tell.

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Club Tropicana, Sep 30, 2017.

1. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

The idea that an AI based on deterministic data processing, producing what's called a finite state automaton, is conscious entails that consciousness is an epiphenomenon, at least in this case. That means it is produced, but it can do absolutely nothing and has no function. Your other remark that consciousness is always correlated with brain activity runs into the problem of NDEs in cases where there is no brain activity. This can happen; for instance in a rather extreme procedure people can be refrigerated in order to perform heart surgery, and can have near death experiences as a result.

SashaS likes this.
  2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Well said, Genewardsmith! Thanks!

3. Club Tropicana

Club Tropicana New Member

What I am is firmly and reluctantly in the category of none believer, I want to change this if at all possible. In order for me to believe, really believe and be comfortable with that belief I need to satisfy my standards of proof.

4. Club Tropicana

Club Tropicana New Member

I don't know what the main thrust of the website is as I've not explored the site, what I am however interested in is not having to have reoccurring anxiety attacks regarding death.

5. jimrich

jimrich Active Member

I'd recommend psychotherapy to deal with anxieties of any kind. Good luck..........

Club Tropicana likes this.