1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Why the after life probably isn't true as far as I can tell.

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Club Tropicana, Sep 30, 2017.

1. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

The member who started this thread came to ALF briefly but quickly became disillusioned and quickly left us. That situation is not unusual - people come, post for a short time and leave, some of them upset or angry when members don't agree with their views.

Monika and DenverGuy like this.
  2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Dear Monika, please be comforted! Human life is eternal, and what is to come is better than your most optimistic imaginings ;-).

3. Monika

Monika Active Member

Thank you Roberta‚ô° Love and hugs

4. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Maybe there is no afterlife, because it could be all one thing and our time here is just a side trip.

I watched a Graham Hancock TEDx video on YouTube just now, and he suggests that we might all be immortal souls temporarily incarnated into these physical forms.

I never thought about it that way.

Lady Shey likes this.
  5. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I was just on a grieving site and realize that I have to stay away as it's too sad to see people just being introduced to this hell.

A few minutes ago I saw a post from someone who just lost her boyfriend and not surprisingly is a mess. It made me think that if this is all there is, life would have to be a cruel joke. I mean, people losing their lives in terrible ways and then the lives of the people who care about them being destroyed - it doesn't make sense.

I certainly hope there is more than this.

6. mac

When we speak about the so-called afterlife it's a simple shorthand for the life/lives we'll return to after this particular incarnation. It's not a '"side trip". Our human incarnation are steps along the main path from wherever to wherever. They're on the path we're supposed to be taking and they're not 'wrong turns' or sightseeing trips.

The bigger picture is that there was a 'forelife' too because we didn't just blink into existence when we took on human forms. Whatever our 'true selves' are, whatever the nature and operation of the non-physical components of our existences, we were alive somewhere, somewhen, before our incarnation(s) in this particular physical dimension.

I've no idea who Graham Hancock is but it should not be a hardly revelation to learn that our 'true selves', our spirit forms, are immortal, temporarily animating physical forms, in our case human forms. Isn't this, after all, the message that ALF constantly strives to present?

Widdershins3 likes this.
  7. mac

I understand why you see the negative things in life but for counterbalance consider the individuals who become parents, who bring into this world the tiny forms that delight many/most of us and go on to be their beloved children. That's the positive side of life and life isn't only about a person losing their partner.

This world is unique in that we experience here lots of things we can't experience elsewhere. The death of loved ones is one thing. And the birth of an adored one is another. For every negative example you can find online there are at least as many positive examples happening in real life.

If you focus on just the negative then you're likely to see mainly the negative.

8. SashaS

SashaS Member

I don't think we see negative but we have lost our happiness. Yeah, I have been happy when I got married with the man I loved and gave birth to my children but now I can't be without my companion and when I see my children cry for the lost of their dad. My heart is broken!
    Maybe it's a unique experience for us that we can't experience elsewhere. And I try to do my best but I can't expect anymore happiness!

DenverGuy and Monika like this.
  9. Maria

Maria Member

Mac, your post reminded me of that beautiful song by The Byrds which include these lines:-
    To Everything Turn, Turn, Turn
    There is a season Turn, Turn, Turn
    And a time to every purpose, under Heaven
    A time to be born, a time to die
    A time to plant, a time to reap
    A time to kill, a time to heal
    A time to laugh, a time to weep
    A time to build up, a time to break down
    A time to dance, a time to mourn
    A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

10. mac

I understand what you're saying but my words were meant to apply generally to this world and our experiences as humans. Teachers and guides tell us that the experiences of life incarnate are eagerly sought out by spirits. I'm not trying to minimise and I don't underestimate the depth of your sadness and loss but although there are any number of dreadful events in this world there are also any number of happy ones.

Despite everything, this world keeps turning and appears to have been doing so for an unfathomable time. Crazy though it must sound, I'm persuaded things are happening on a global scale broadly the way they're intended to.

11. mac

That's one I've always liked. :)

12. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

In my opinion, the happy events in the world are not enough to outweigh the horrible ones (certainly on a global scale, and sometimes/often in individual lives as well). If there is a beforelife/afterlife, if it is an always-joyful place where we are with our loved ones as much as we want to be, and if I did actually make a choice to leave it temporarily in order to come to this planet/existence, then I made a huge mistake.

DenverGuy and Monika like this.
  13. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I agree. I'm glad that people are experiencing great things in their lives. A friend of mine and his wife just got back from Costa Rica and they had a terrific time. I am happy for them. But that doesn't do much for me. The possibility of me and my girlfriend even going to Costco (which she loved) is right at zero. The "fun and enjoyment switch" in my life has been turned off. That doesn't affect anyone else, nor should it. I hope that people enjoy their lives.
    It's just my opinion, but I hope that our forever existence isn't marked by an endless cycle of reincarnations. Some people are of the mindset that, when we cross over, we pick up where we left off, but in a much better way. To me, that's appealing. All I want is to be with my girlfriend. That might be considered a very small-minded viewpoint, but it's all I have to go on.

I never thought about what you expressed in your last sentence, but I hear you.

Last edited: May 15, 2018
    bluebird likes this.
  14. mac

It could well be, bb, that you'll feel just the same after your return as you do now and nobody can tell you that you're wrong to feel as you do.

I am sure that how I see things makes no sense to some others and there are times when I despair over, and I am appalled at, what happens in this world. I sometimes wonder myself if I am a cock-eyed optimist, something most would not associate with mac! But thus far my approach is unchanged. Folk may thing I'm crazy; I don't think I am but who knows? Maybe on my next return I'll say "Enough of the crap - I'm outta that place for good." and maybe that will be it. Maybe I'll find I had everything wrong. I have no idea.

bluebird likes this.
  15. mac

And I hear you too, DG.

I can't tell you anything to change how you feel or to help even a little - I only wish I could. The subject of multiple lives has been discussed at length and there's nothing new to add. Against your uncertainty I am confident that what you fear is not the way things work. But that's not a scrap of good to you and as things stand nothing is likely to persuade you that reincarnation isn't the endless cycle you fear.

What you want in this life - to be with your partner again - will be possible in the next one. I can't prove it; I can't offer evidence of that. I can't persuade you it's true. I only wish someone could....

bluebird likes this.
  16. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

Thank you, Mac. If you're ever so inclined, I'd like to hear your opinion of Swedenborg - if it's a source or subject that you have an opinion on.

Monika likes this.
  17. bluebird

I know you understand what I mean. And I agree with the idea of the "fun and enjoyment switch" having been turned off. I don't think it's small-minded to want to be with your soulmate.

18. bluebird

As always, I do appreciate your willingness to understand that my feelings are valid, even though you might not share them yourself. That is not an easy position to hold, but it is a compassionate one, and does more good than anyone trying to tell people that they just need to "move on" and that "he wouldn't want you to be so unhappy" and so forth. So thank you. :)

19. mac

I confess I know only the name of this guy but know nothing about what he had to say.

20. DenverGuy

DenverGuy Active Member

I was recently made aware of the non-profit Swedenborg Foundation, and I have to say that I am pretty fascinated by the guy himself, his interest and, hopefully, his knowledge. It's impressive that someone from the 1700s is so respected even today that there is a foundation on this subject that is dedicated to his work and beliefs.

The foundation has quite a few very intriguing videos on YouTube, for what it's worth. I'll throw in a link here just for the heck of it. https://www.youtube.com/user/offTheLeftEye/videos

Monika likes this.