1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

Why do near death experiences make some people more religious

Discussion in 'NDE The near-death-experience forum' started by Ask21771, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Ask21771

Ask21771 New Member

Most near death experiences make people more spiritual but some become more religious, why is that?

2. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

Last I saw of you was back in the beginning of February. If I'm not mistaken you were on the same subject back then and had already started multiple threads here and as another member noticed on other sites as well. Are we going to discuss it again? :rolleyes:

3. Ski

Ski New Member

Lol, Pandora...

To answer your question, Ask...I assume it's because they need to be told how to be spiritual, instead of being themselves. So being religious is their way of being spiritual...it's what they have been told and what they believe. Beliefs make up a huge part of our reality, so being religious to them, may be their equivalent of being spiritual and doing the right thing.

I'm not religious, and my NDE didn't make me religious....but it did make me want to be a better person, and to learn more about life and the afterlife, ect...and about myself and others...it actually made me want to help others, and to see passed their flaws, hate, and meanness....and see them in a different light, from a higher perspective. It also helped me to forgive myself, amd have the same understanding for my own shortcomings.

4. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I have moved this new thread into the NDE forum. :)

5. mac

Why would we know why? What do you think the answer is?

6. dingodile

dingodile Member

Perhaps the OP should begin by explaining what he or she understands the difference between "spiritual" and "religious" to be. Saying "I'm spiritual but not religious" has become something of a cultural cliche, and like all cliches it presupposes more than it actually expresses.

7. Amore

Amore Active Member

Ask21771 never goes into detail. S/he asks a question then proceeds to reject each and every answer they get.

8. pandora97

pandora97 Active Member

I agree. S/he even received a warning from Roberta on the previous thread I mentioned. It seems several members suspect a troll.
    ..:eek:

9. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

"Spiritual" and "religious" are not necessarily different; it all depends on how you are defining each term.
    Insofar as one might see a difference between the two, however, the answer to your query is pretty simple: because individuals are different from each other, so experiences affect different people differently.

10. mac

My thoughts are that this member likely isn't a troll, rather simply someone who pops up now-and-then with a point that he may, or may not, have a genuine interest in.....

But the behavior of some new members really does puzzle me. Folk probably visit ALF initially for curiosity and likely register as members because they don't realise they can be 'lurkers' without needing to be registered. I understand that but what I can never figure are the ones who register, announce their arrival and their interest but then are rarely heard from again.

Perhaps they discover ALF isn't what they expected, maybe realising they prefer the simplicity and immediacy of the social media format?