1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

Who Doesn't Like Aliens?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Waller, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonathan Hallberg

Jonathan Hallberg New Member

This is very interesting.... makes you wonder.

2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

It might make new members wonder but the topic was done to death when the thread ran for a very long time. The arguments were heated and mostly inconclusive and interchanges were hysterical at times, eventually leaving little to say that hasn't already been said.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  3. Pssst

Pssst New Member

Mostly inconclusive? lol Did you read the thread? I did. I found it one of the most enlightening information runs about ETs I have ever been exposed to and I have been around MANY ET discussions.

Sour pickles?

4. mac

I was around all that time so yes I did follow - and contribute to - the contents. You've just arrived.

It's an old thread that's now run out of puff. Got something new to say? Start a new conversation... If not then sour pickles to you.... lol

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  5. dopier

dopier Member

I second that! It is a pity that selfishness seems to run amok among us humans. I don't understand why couldn't we all contribute our parts without infringing upon others. I thought the original poster was quite resourceful. Alas, the ego rules the day!

6. mac

Not being browbeaten rules the day! :D

Ego is part of who we each are, a component part of our total make-up and inseparable from the totality. Few mortals are likely not to exhibit it and we shouldn't pretend otherwise.

The original poster was more than able to make his point but he personally wasn't always what he purported to be, his later departure from the old ALF forum pages being a consequence. However, resourcefulness was one of his attributes and it was laudable when it was honest. Not all of it was though and some was egotistic and sometimes malicious. Certain behavior, combined with pretence, I found unacceptable.

Making one's point doesn't mean that everyone else has to accept without question or without challenge. Those unable to deal with that approach may complain about others' egos but on open forums one should be prepared for it. If you think you're right then make your point and be prepared to support and defend it.

And if it's too hot stay out of the kitchen. Don't expect others to switch on the a/c because you're not comfortable. :p

7. dopier

dopier Member

I certainly don't disagree that ego is part of our totality as human beings, although I believe we may have taken on the challenges of overcoming its more negative aspects for some reasons unknown to me. Not pretending that mortals shouldn't exhibit it at all, just decrying it ruining our ability to coexist sometimes.

It would also be my preference that one shouldn't be too offended about being challenged on a point made. However much it may be that the complainer is focusing on others' egos, it does not necessarily mean that their point may not have any validity. Personally it does not move me one way or another, although I may cede the ground to those who are louder, however I realize that's not the case for everyone. Obviously a bit of self-reflection should always be in order.

That sounds a bit like a survival of the fittest attitude. I'd say let's accommodate each other a bit, what say ya?

8. mac

Humankind's been unable to co-exist with its companions since homo sapiens emerged, I'd guess. You heard the saying: "Nothing new under the sun."?

I'd prefer folk don't get offended at all if a point they make gets challenged. All valid points are by definition valid and worthy of consideration and defence but not all points of view have been thoroughly thought through, I've found. I don't know what self reflection implies so it's not obvious to me.

It's a metaphor for discussion and debate. It's oft been said that someone is disrespectful because they disagree and challenge another's vulnerable arguments. I don't subscribe to that view and neither do I don't want anyone to (quote) accommodate me. Don't agree with my ideas? That's fine. I don't ask that you do.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  9. mac

Just for interest..... The statistics for this thread suggest that it has had well over a million views. That's an unprecedentedly high number and suggests to me one of two things. Either a lot of people are reading it but very few are commenting or there's been some form of manipulation of the apparent viewing figures. :confused:

As occasional-contributor Jonathan Hallberg says at the top of this page "....makes you wonder. " ;):eek:

10. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Mac, most of those who visit this site will only read and never comment, and this is a very old stickied thread on a topic of interest. I think the views are legit, and I love hearing that this thread is valuable to people!

11. dopier

dopier Member

I second your point, Roberta. I think we can all agree that different components attract different people. I take the view that they all seem to point to some common denominator. However it wouldn't surprise me a bit to find out that some are only interested in ETs.

12. mac

I take your point about visitors and the thread being sticky and a few years old. But the 1 million apparent views is so many times the number of other interesting threads that it still leaves me suspicious that someone/something is manipulating the stats.

I hope that the thread's content is actually valuable to these apparent visitors but I find it literally unbelievable that so many would come to view what's in it yet only one new member respond - and in such a bizarre, familiar, suspiciously-taunting way.

Hey, ho, onward and upward. mac's no longer the open-minded, accepting individual he used to be I guess but I see that as positive.

Even less likely to be taken in than once the case.... ;)

13. Pssst

Pssst New Member

Gullibility is so scary, isn't it. Thinly veiled ad hominems is all I see here from you and from within the little contributions you made to this thread, got one of those deleted, yes?:eek:

Instead of invalidating posters, why not allow them the physical reality they create for themselves as valid for them, as an experience, whether you agree with it or not. What I do see is that discussions of ET scare the existential piss out of most peoples and this is one of the few threads I have found throughout the Interwebs where the discussion wasn't tainted by by that bias. So thanks for that, all.

14. mac

A little less addressing me personally and more showing what you're on about might get to the point, if there is any point to anything you're saying. You've manged two postings and said bugger all! :rolleyes:

To address your ramblings here, if I disagree with what someone else writes I don't need your prior permission or anyone else's. Any individual who creates her/his own reality is perfectly entitled to do it and I wouldn't want to try to change their personal reality. But I'm perfectly entitled to challenge what anyone claims in exactly the same way as she/he is entitled to point out perceived weaknesses in what I say. That's the nature of debate. Psst - can you hear me, do you find that difficult to follow? o_O

As for the "Interweb" (sic) if you're so experienced using that you presumably have learned something different to tell us. We're not "most peoples" (sic) and discussions and debate about extra-terrestrials doesn't/hasn't "scared the existential piss" out of any contributor here to the best of my knowledge. So if you have something new to add to this long-running thread into which you've yet to make a useful contribution then please allow me to encourage you.

New, relevant information can only help to lessen my ignorance. :D roflmao

Last edited: Sep 4, 2017
  15. mac

As I get older things nag at me. Perhaps it's what happens to some seniors? They can't get certain things out of their heads. Any road up, mi ducks I couldn't get out of my head this thread's massive number of apparent views.

A quick check showed it's been active a month short of 3 years so perhaps it is feasible that a million views have been carried out? Maybe folk really do have an interest in extra-terrestrials after all. I can't say they don't or that they haven't been reading quietly without wanting to comment. But then I thought about another thread I've been following since it began just a month short of 7 years ago.

A check showed that thread has attracted a large number of views and not only those viewings but also a large number of contributions from many active website members. Seven years on and the thread has attracted 183 thousand views and goodness knows how many member contributions over 43 densely written, busy pages that aren't festooned with space-wasting images.

So what are we seeing here on ALF? A thread active for only three years with an indicated 1 million plus views of 48 pages of well-spaced out postings and pictures.....

I'm not buying it; something odd's going on here.

16. mac

I'll stick my money where my mouth is and say my thoughts are that someone (???) has created or found a piece of software, a macro perhaps, that allows a thread to be 'pinged' repeatedly thereby building the total of apparent views. Just during today about 30 views of this thread are indicated. I don't believe it.

17. mac

66 apparent views over the past 24 hours.... The indicated total now stands at 1,045,588 on September 7 2017 midday UK.

18. Eveshi

Eveshi New Member

Waller Joel started this thread and he would 'bump' it up by creating sock-puppets. zvumdzeq and pssst are also him.

I really would recommend the admin to consider deleting this thread. Elsewhere on other forums Waller (Pssst) has been advertising this thread. He seems to be proud of the nonsense he has written and uses it as a source to back himself up. All his nonsensical conspiracy theories about aliens and UFOs have nothing to do with the topic of an afterlife. If anything all his thread does is confuse and damage the reputation of this forum.

As we have established Waller has deceived and lied about his background and many other things, I believe it is only fair that this thread should be deleted. Sorry to come across as 'bossy' as I am certainly not a member of this community, but this guy really deserves a taste of his own medicine. Delete the thread and it would operate as payback. It is only fair considering all the negativity he has dished out to others.

19. mac

37 more views over the past 5 hours - the indicated total now stands at 1,045,625

This thread's maintaining its popularity! :p

20. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Eveshi,

I agree. Many of us (members on this site) were on to Waller pretty much from the start. He has come back to this forum a few times under various aliases, and it's always clear that it's him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.