1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

when?

Discussion in 'NDE and OoBE' started by mac, Dec 15, 2018.

1. mac

mac regular contributor Staff Member

Somewhat unexpectedly - because NDE doesn't have much interest for me - I found myself reflecting on what teachers and guides have taught on the subject. The conclusion I drew is that I don't have a clue! I simply don't know if they ever gave any guidance on the subject. If they didn't then perhaps it's because such experiences used to be rare compared with the situation today and that's an understandable situation.

Then I began thinking about when I became aware of the NDE phenomenon and I could make only the vaguest guess at when it was. So can anyone give a fix on when reports started to be seen more widely?

Next I began to wonder if they might have even more importance than I already credit them with? They might allow seekers without any experience of the death-and-afterlife situation to get an idea about what happens when death is approaching.

It's taught by guides and teachers that we are supported during our transition from incarnate to discarnate life by our helpers - guides if you wish - who accompany us as we pass from this world to the next. There are countless stories of people who, before passing over, have told living relatives that they have seen and/or spoken to 'dead' ones.

If it's the case that most/all of us are accompanied as described, then there probably has to be be a point before death when our helpers draw especially close, a situation leading to accounts by the dying of sometimes becoming aware of their presence. In a situation where an individual is seriously ill or badly injured it may be uncertain even to those in spirit whether the individual will succumb, hence those discarnate helpers may draw very near in case death does take place.

Given the increasing numbers of situations in which prolonged illness is a factor and/or prolongd medical intervention takes place from which the patient eventually recovers, it's surely logical that there will be ever-increasing numbers of individuals experiencing an apparent near-death event. If that's the case then maybe this will become a significant factor in humankind's awareness of survival et al? Something to replace mediumship and the philosophy of Spiritualism which was so vital for me but which I've long now become convinced is of shrinking importance as a door-opener to the notion of survival.

Beyond the simple notion of survival, however, there yet has to emerge an alternative philosophy to carry folk forward. Anyone got any ideas about what?

2. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

From what I've read, though we have NDE like accounts from as early as ancient Egypt, people seem to start having more NDEs in the 60s and 70s, presumably sue to advances in medicine and a higher rate of survivability from certain conditions near death, but it was mostly absent from literature, so experiencers didn't know what to think of them and mostly kept to themselves.
    In 1975, Raymond Moody wrote 'Life After Life', where he coined the term 'near death experience', and folks started reporting them more often.

3. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

I would say you are spot on there.
    After my experiences with synchronicity, I recalled reading a book years earlier by Dr. Sam Parnia describing some of these experiences, and started reading more on NDEs.
    If it were not for my synchronicities and subsequent reading of NDEs I would likely not still be legitimately interested in undestanding the apparent mystery of death with any rational means.
    My grandmother, who passed away a couple of weeks ago, reported seeing some departed relatives of ours, including my grandfather, her late husband.
    A lot of NDErs report seeing this as well, just before the body going "near death" and right after.
    Could be the case. It's possible it is not always known. I've read of NDErs reporting being shown future scenarios, but often times they are told they are possibilities. Things can be changed.

I think something like this is already happening. IANDS, the institution about near death experiences is already a huge and spreading event creating awareness, funding and scientific interest. It is helping many doctors become more familiar with, accept and even guide patients toward sharing their experiences in a safer environment. Parnia and other medical researchers, in studying the death/near-death state, have been involved in research leading to the doubling of survivability rates of cardiac arrest patients in hospitals that have adopted the technique. One of the goals of the AWARE 2 study is to further help increase that. NDEs are likely to become a more frequent phenomenon as we increase survivability and decrease the likelihood of damage to cerebral regions due to hypoxia.

I think provided the OBE aspects of NDEs are verified (it's an infrequent part of NDEs), it can call a lot of attention to the ability of consciousness to survive outside the body. That, in turn, can bring a lot of people to study and reveal other forms of verifying that, such as through mediumship. NDEs are a bit more in your face, since they often involve reputable doctors that come out reveling information, risking their professional reputation, as well as other factors. In my opinion, they are a great way to ease into the notion of survivability.
    For someone whose life may have been spent rejecting notions of mysticism, It is hard to take mediumship too seriously at first, especially when there are accounts of so many people able to do phenomenally accurate cold readings. It seems too large a step, and easier to dismiss.

NDEs by their very nature usually happen surrounded by people whose professions are admired nearly globally, and are natural skeptics (how many people would devote their entire lives to study and practice ways of preventing/reversing death, if they believed death to be an illusion?).
    It adds authenticity. It's harder for me to dismiss a surgeon telling me he converted on the spot when told by a patient with eyes taped shut that she accurately saw him flapping his arms like wings during surgery, among other things.
    Not sure. I'm personally waiting to see whether anyone can come up with a framework of life-death that can be verified for accuracy, or faksified- not unlike what I posted on Hoffman on the other thread. Don't want to post much on that here, as is against regulations. Maybe others would be more interested in the philosophy of it.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    mac likes this.