1. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.
    Dismiss Notice

When does the soul/spirit enter the body?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Corey, Jan 10, 2017.

1. dingodile

dingodile Member

I agree, the expression isn't the best, although it does fit at least some ways of seeing the relation between the soul and body, from Plato's time to the present. Plato described the body as a "prison" of the soul. Some modern spiritualistic literature describes the body as the "garment" of the soul. Prisons are tenanted; garments aren't. But since both are metaphors anyway, we can understand that both are getting at some sort of contingent relation between body and soul. The thing that prisons and garments (or "shells" etc.) have in common is the person can leave them behind without ceasing to exist.

Amore likes this.
  2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I'm going to leave you to figure out which words are best used for what purposes. I've been battling forever (it feels) to standardise even the simplest words used in the field we're writing about.

3. mac

I'm not much for metaphors in situations such as the one we're discussing. And even the words 'spiritualist' and 'Spiritualist' cause untold disagreement.

4. mac

Flawed ways!

5. genewardsmith

genewardsmith Active Member

When my mother died, I did as I had done before and went into a meditative state to pray for her transition. I immediately got the sense she was already gone. It was just a blank, totally different from the high "vibrations" and sense of attending entities I was familiar with. Of course, I'm not saying that proves anything; I'm just saying.

Amore likes this.
  6. Amore

Amore Active Member

I had the same impression with several animals (pet dogs and cats) I witnessed dying. It seemed for the last hour or so that the soul had already left, while the body was still continuing the process of shutting down. The body felt "flat", like a machine, while the space around it started filling up with more and more peace and calmness.

I read that this is the same for humans (I think it was mentioned in the afterlife101 transcripts). It makes sense to me that the process of dying includes a period where the soul slowly loosens its attachment with the body, rather than a sudden event of departing it (except possibly in sudden fatal accidents).

The same might be true for conception - there might not be a specific moment when the soul attaches itself to the fetus, but rather a period where it slowly sinks more and more into it. Possibly a soul waits for a while to see whether the mother decides to abort or whether other problems arise that would terminate the pregnancy before starting the process of incarnating into the fetus.

@dingodile, thanks for your interesting and fascinating posts! Lot of food for thought.

7. pandora97

pandora97 Member

Or before completing it......?

8. mac

Re the highlighted words above, my preference is to say the spirit interpenetrates the fetus signifying that it penetrates throughout the body as opposed to being 'attached' in a certain place.

On the other point, my thoughts are that a less-experienced spirit (fewer previous incarnations) might engage fully with the developing, immature fetus at a much earlier stage than a more-experienced spirit. Both would be commited to the body they were to animate but the experience of the latter might result in its being able to animate the developing body 'at a distance'. (so to speak) Eventually, of course, it would engage fully and prepare for its new incarnation. By engaging early the less experienced spirit would have longer to familiarise itself with the developing systems it will ultimately control.

I have long thought that the efficacy of control of a body by the spirit might influence the overall health of the individual. It might also have a bearing on why some individuals survive when others die in otherwise similar circumstances.

It's difficult to understand whether the possibility of termination would affect the point of complete interpenetration. We know nothing about what any spirit has chosen for its life experience(s) hence we can't know if the possibility/likelihood of termination would be something to be avoided or something it wished to experience, however crazy that might sound.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  9. dingodile

dingodile Member

Not to mention the possibility, described in the Tibetan Book of the Dead, that not all incarnations are chosen.

10. mac

It's a philosophy I'm not subscribed to - chacun a son gout, mi duck.

11. Amore

Amore Active Member

FWIW I recently stumbled upon an interesting website called
    Masters of the Spirit World - Channeled Messages from Enlightened Souls in Non-Physical Form
    which is a very interesting read (in questions and answers format).

Today I found this in a reply to a question:
    When the sperm merges with an ovum, the soul attaches a cord to the developing fetus. It will rarely completely enter the confines of the body until the later stages of gestation or immediately during the birthing process. During the nine months of growth, the baby will spend time at Home saying goodbye to friends and associates, watching what their new family is doing, and getting acclimated to a human body.

Link: http://www.mastersofthespiritworld.com/?m=201712&paged=2

(Lots of info on that website on all kinds of topics. I recommend it!)