1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

When does the soul/spirit enter the body - channeling compared with mediumship

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by mac, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Jan Wallace

Jan Wallace New Member

Did I write subdued and polite? Oh well it takes allsorts I suppose but that tirade was pretty savage. Perhaps there needs to be new topic under the heading of "Get it off your chest" I'm pretty broad minded and I've had my fair share of run ins on social media with one of the most heated being on defending my faith, but this was unnecessary and off putting to new members and I was in two minds whether to continue with this site. I'm glad you reopened the topic as there is still much debate to be had with this subject. :)

pandora97 likes this.
  2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I don't like closing threads but sometimes it becomes necessary. I'm pleased you're still around now it's open again for further discussion.

We actually do have a 'get it off your chest' type of forum - 'Off Topic' - but it's still not for ad hominem attacks. And although it's there for almost any other topic discussion or debate there's still a blanket ban on any involving politics and religion.

Last edited: May 26, 2018
  3. Jan Wallace

Jan Wallace New Member

I had a look at her page and a few of the questions asked and considering her back ground I would have thought the information given in the responses where channeled.

4. mac

On the page whose link is posted Toni does actually say they're "Channeled messages from enlightened souls..." and that's also the second line of the page title.

5. Jan Wallace

Jan Wallace New Member

Going back to the original question of when the soul enters the body I recently heard a theory that it actually takes quite a long time for souls to connect with and embed into their new incarnations, and there are specific souls whose task it is to help these souls connect. It can take up to 2 years in some cases hence the human child's slow developement in comparison to other species on the planet. It is during the first 9 months that the most difficulties are realised and some souls just cannot intergrate for whatever reason and decide to leave the body which may explain Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

6. mac

As with many conundrums folk come up with ideas and theories to try to explain them. It's tempting to try to make sense of often desperately tragic events by linking them to such ideas and it's possible those ideas/theories are correct. I've heard similar ideas about the difficulties faced by individuals on the autistic spectrum.

But theories remain theories until they're proven and ideas can be fanciful and misguided, even when they appear to have been communicated from discarnate, and presumed authoritative, sources. My own approach to such matters used to be to pop them in a mental pigeon-hole labelled 'not proven' for reference later if information becomes available. ;)

7. Jan Wallace

Jan Wallace New Member

This woman didn't come up with her view point, she was given the information straight from the Horses mouth so to speak. According to her she uses hypnotherapy for past life regression and has tapped into 'The Source" and over a period of 40 years or so has garnered much information about life, death, spirit, the universe and much more in between. I used the word theory because it's a process I haven't personally seen, but there are many who have worked with Delores Cannon that believe whole heartedly with the information she provides.

8. mac

Indeed you did use the word theory and if you're persuaded she has everything sussed I have no wish to try to dissuade you. As I said earlier, the theories/ideas may well be correct. :) But for me the subject will remain in my personal pigeon-hole 'til some later time.

9. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

I read a few of her pages and there is something that does not sit right with me. In my perhaps brutal ignorance of spiritual matters, some of what I read sounded like a mishmash of twaddle. Also had trouble with much of her "FAQ" section and definitions o_O

I was especially troubled by the letter sent by a 68-year old male in the UK who states he consulted with a therapist who is also a medium; perhaps I was in a foul mood or in my usual "Maxine mode", but the first words I exclaimed were, "...and she's a con!" :eek: I hope the man did some thorough research before agreeing to meet with this particular therapist!
    I read about her "Aha" moment while walking in the forest, but for some reason I doubt it was the voice of her guides; it sounded more like her social worker background coming through doing some introspection counseling. Anyway, can't say I'm impressed with what I read.

I did not read anything specific to the soul entering the human body, I'm sure I missed it. Do you have a link? TIA.

Last edited: May 27, 2018
    bluebird likes this.
  10. mac

I won't comment on this particular individual as I have no knowledge of her work but in general I'm uncomfortable with the conflation of hypnotherapy used for past-life regression therapy and 'tapping in to the source' to provide guidance about incarnate life, corporeal death and survival - et al.

All of it may be completely kosher but I'm still left feeling uncomfortable.

bluebird likes this.
  11. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Never heard of this person (Toni Ann Winninger) but I read what I could on Amazon's "Look inside".
    Perhaps I'm close-minded but when I spotted the book where she and co-author Peter Watson Jenkins interview (with the help of "master spirits") 15 leaders, all of them born before 1900, my BS meter hit the red zone, lol. Adolf Hitler, Pope John XXIII, Carl Jung, Charles Darwin, Andrew Carnegie, and others are all stand ready for these interviews :rolleyes:
    It reminded me of the Erik Medhus books. Jamie Butler is the medium who claims communication with Dr. Elisa Medhus's son (Erik).
    Together, she and Erik will call any celebrity your heart desires, all within seconds. They interviewed Michael Jackson, Elvis Presley, Marilyn Monroe, and many, many others.
    I'm afraid I fail to understand how anyone could believe that "celebrities" line up for some airtime! As I said, perhaps I have a closed mind:confused:

Kurt and bluebird like this.
  12. mac

Maybe we've both just led very sheltered lives....;):D

13. ravensgate

ravensgate Active Member

Sure we have, mac! :cool:

14. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Ditto!

ravensgate likes this.
  15. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

I agree with you. I always regarded these claims as schemes for money, fame or both.

I also do not think they all collectively gather and run around interviewing mediums. If so, people would have a bigger interest in our field (especially the young) & we would surely have heard from them by now on the N. American station.

Finally, why would someone who was so tortured by fame in life so readily relive the pain via a medium. Marilyn Monroe? Michael Jackson? (he was the literal poster boy for the negative effects of fame)

This is all personal opinion. I am glad to see that you & Roberta agree.

16. mac

This is all good, knockabout fun but there's a serious point to be made for members seeking insight into these matters and possibly considering visiting this or another practitioner - it's not about only Winninger. There is even a high-profile physical medium who is reputed to 'channel' (to use the fashionable verb) Louis Armstrong who - I think I'm right in saying - has now taken to playing a harmonica in seances rather than his trumpet! But I digress.....

In all evidential mediumship it's paramount that the identity of the communicator should be clearly established - otherwise it ain't evidential mediumship. (There is at least one conversation here concerning the meaning of the various kinds of mediumship etc.) Even if it were possible for a practitioner to open communication with a celebrity communicator, how on earth could evidence be produced that the communicator is genuine, who the individual claimed, or was believed, to be?

So much is known about celebrities that there are few details that could be communicated that wouldn't be available publicly. Even if unknown details were provided, how on earth could they be authenticated - who would know and be able to confirm them?

It's hard to avoid concluding that demonstrations that appear or claim to to be mediumship involving celebrity communicators should be treated with skepticism and caution. It's fine if they're treated as entertainment and the performance is enjoyed. But if a practitioner were also to provide details - details supposedly about life-in-spirit that are very different from those communicated by spirits widely seen as spiritually-authoritative - should we accept them as authoritative, accept them without challenge?

One must make up one's mind about such issues but my suggestion is that scepticism is justified.

17. You will know the messenger by the fruits of the message. The source is of no concern.

18. They claimed pain relief? I was unaware.

19. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

No not relief. Relive.

As in they relieve the pain of being famous. They experience it again.

20. Yes. I know her personally. She is sponsored by the same individuals who sponsor David Thompson, the physical medium. Toni gave up a promising legal career to pursue her happiness. Left a clutch of money for her mediumship. Sweet lady, honest and puts forward a message that many find clear and succinct. Others...?