1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What makes you believe there is an afterlife?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Wanttobelieve, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Yes, thanks. I can be quite dotty and change my mind every five minutes. But at the outset of your beliefs you must have wrestled with all this as well. I actually went to a spiritualist talk the other night. There were mediums in the audience who can be consulted in this place. I'm drawn to doing it certainly, but a bit afraid to have my little bubble of "he's out there and we'll meet again" burst. I suppose in these circumstances you just say to yourself it was a bad connection. I am much happier in myself since the experiences. You do sound quite brainy.

2. Ruby

Ruby New Member

I didn't mean to imply that folk who believe in life after death are not brainy!

3. bluebird

bluebird Well-Known Member

Welcome to ALF, Ruby. You will likely find more people here that will not dismiss your experiences than you will in your day-to-day life.

Personally, I am agnostic as regards the existence of an afterlife, but I truly hope it does exist, especially since my husband died six years ago. In any case, I would never dismiss your experiences, and I don't think anyone else here would either.

I know what you mean about hesitating to visit a medium, in case that experience were to break your happy bubble of belief. There's no rush, though....you can always visit one in a month or a year if you decide you want to.

May I ask if you are located in the U.S.?

4. yewman54

yewman54 Member

Disclaimer: This post in no way endorses any religion whatsoever nor any dogma or doctrines attached to such.

Here are the facts about the dates of the birth and death of Jesus as assumed by most historians at this point in time.

AD stands for "anno Domini nostri Jesu Christi"....in the year of our Lord Jesus Christ. It refers to Jesus' birth and not his death. This dating system came into being some 500 years or so after Jesus' death. 1BC (Before Christ) or 1AD were commonly thought to be the year Jesus was born.

The author of the Gospel According to Matthew closely ties Jesus birth with the reign of Herod the Great. Herod the Great is believed to have died in 6BC. Therefore historians tend place the birth of Jesus between 4-6BC.

Jesus was crucified under the prelate Pontius Pilate. Pilate was prelate of Judea from 26/27AD to 36/37AD. We have extra biblical sources for this, namely, Josephus and Tacitus plus archeological evidence in the "Pilate Stone".

The two most common dates for the crucifixion are 30AD and 33AD. This coincides with Pilate's reign and the Jewish celebration of Passover being on a day that coincides with Jesus' death.

As for the belief that Jesus died at 33, this is because the author of the Gospel According to Luke said John baptized Jesus when he was "about 30" and it's believed his ministry lasted for 3 years. Obviously, this can't be accurate. Either the author meant that he was in his 30's somewhere or it was nothing but a literary device to indicate Jesus had reached maturity per Jewish tradition (30). Likely, he was in his late 30's when he died.

EddieRay and Kurt like this.
  5. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Thank you Bluebird! I'm in the UK. Have had three wonderful road trips in the US. You're right, there's no rush to consult a medium. I presume your agnostic view stopped you doing it.

Kurt likes this.
  6. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

Thanks for the information. It is very educational.

7. yewman54

yewman54 Member

Thanks Kurt. I'm glad it helped you. :)

Kurt likes this.
  8. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

At the outset of my investigations I listened and read a great deal. I didn't firmly make my mind up about things for quite some time so there was little to be changed.

It was a good place to go. :) And with mediums you can ask your questions progress should be more quick.

I'm puzzled what you mean by "doing it"..... o_O I wish I could reassure you of the things some of us take as fundamental - he IS "out there" (over-there is what I usually write) and you WILL meet again. I hope your bubble doesn't burst but perhaps you should listen mostly to those who aren't likely to do that?

Connecting with those 'over-there' in the so-called afterlife can be an uncertain business. Some individuals appear to have a hot line to their loved ones but that's not particularly common in my expeience and although it's something to aspire to, it's something that might not happen easily if at all. Realism is the key.

Whether I'm brainy is a moot point and others might not agree but I am not a dumbo - perhaps I'm just someone somewhere between those extremes. :D

Kurt likes this.
  9. mac

I don't actually believe in it.... I am totally sure. ;)

10. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

You are very smart. I'm sure the others agree

The first time, some major typographic errors occured... I take full responsibility.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
  11. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Thanks for your helpful reply, mac!

Kurt likes this.
  12. mac

my pleasure :)

Kurt likes this.
  13. bluebird

:) You're very welcome.
    I actually did see a medium, as I figured it was worth a try. I'm still not sure if my husband communicated with me through her or not, but I think it's possible. At the very least, I think the medium believed in what she was doing (that is, I don't think she's a scammer). I asked if you are in the U.S. because the medium I saw is located in the U.S., and I thought I could give you her name if you want it. She also does phone readings, but that would still be expensive from the UK. Let me know if you want her name anyway; she always has a long wait time, so if you wanted to make an appointment for a reading it's not as though it would happen soon. If you're not interested, no worries. ;)

Kurt likes this.
  14. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Thank you for offering, Bluebird, but I'd prefer to be in the same room with the person. Who knows, though, whether that makes any difference at all?

Kurt likes this.
  15. bluebird

I don't blame you; I had my reading in person, because I felt the same way. I don't know if it actually makes a difference, but I figured if I was going to do it at all, I wanted the full experience.

Kurt likes this.
  16. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

Since we are all one consciousness - including all the so-called dead - there is no distance in the afterlife, and no distance between there and here. So it truly doesn't matter whether you and the medium are in the same place. In fact, a number of metal mediums have told me that they prefer to do phone readings and they get better results because having the sitter right there is distracting!

And if you both use Skype, there is no problem with either the distance or the transmission cost ;-).

Kurt likes this.
  17. Kurt

Kurt Active Member

How do you need out frauds?

18. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

The same way you do it when the medium is in the same room. Check references and reviews, of course. And if there is evidence in the reading that probably came from your loved one, the medium is likely real. If you are sitting looking at someone in the same room who is spouting platitudes and nothing you can confirm came from your loved one, then... not so much.

Kurt likes this.
  19. bluebird

Part of why I wanted to do it in person was so that I could observe her, both during the reading and before/after, to determine for myself whether or not I believed she was legit. For me, that was definitely the right decision.

Skype is a good option for someone who can't or doesn't want to do it in person, though, and you make a good point about being able to avoid the phone call cost that way.

Kurt likes this.
  20. EddieRay

EddieRay New Member

I've had no paranormal experiences to speak of, and I'm a fan of science and can follow a discussion on particle physics pretty closely until calculus is involved.

What convinces me of an afterlife/reincarnation are the accounts of NDEs, childrens' pastlife memories, and death bed visions. The corroboration between people who don't know each other seems an especially strong argument.

The Scole experiments are also compelling. They brought new aspects to light and corroborated what was already known.

As far as using science to detect the existance of a soul, we're not there yet. Whatever stuff a soul is made of, it's not particles that are affected by gravity or electromagnetism. The soul may be able to sense those, but are not influenced by them. How do you scientifically detect non-particles? Look at how neutrinos are detected and imagine how even finer stuff could be detected.

21. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Very interesting, thanks. I'm too thick to understand particle physics myself. Or anything much beyond popular science. You don't think unknown qualities of the brain can account for these experiences?
    Leslie Kean, in her book "Surviving Death" published last year, described her brother's voice "breaking into my space from outside my thoughts" and I thought that described it exactly, just as experienced it. She also wrote about the way the apparition she saw "felt so external". Yes, better than I could describe it myself. A friend of my son emailed to say he's seen him walking about in the city several times, sometimes in company, and had to stop in shock. That sounds more than just encountering someone who resembles the dead person, which doesn't cause you to break stride. A friend of my son's wife (he married his girlfriend at the hospice) recently raced across town in great excitement to tell her that my son is very proud of her. Son's wife was performing her stand-up comedy show about being a widow. All very interesting to hear. But, on the other hand, if you wanted to show you were around somewhere, why not appear to your brother, wife and Dad, the ones who were most important to you. Then again, why am I expecting any of this to make sense?!

22. mac

signs, symbols and messages.... Why do our loved ones not do what we think they ought but perhaps do do the things we aren't sure are for-real??? :confused: There's a thread already here on ALF somewhere.

23. Ruby

Ruby New Member

Ah, yes, I think you're making a good point here, just give me some time for my brain to get it!

Kurt likes this.
  24. mac

No hurry - my brain ain't that quick nowadays! ;)

Kurt likes this.
  25. DistanceRunner

DistanceRunner New Member

Try ginseng.

Kurt likes this.
  26. Brad

Brad New Member

Same here,I figured that, if anyone's gonna have the truth about life after death, it's gonna be the ones who died and came back with a memory of what they experienced. So I started reading NDEs,and it took a lot of reading to come to accept them as a legitimate source, but, by preponderance of evidence,( so many key aspects of their experiences that corroborated each other) I was forced to accept a lot of things I previously would not believe and they have opened my eyes to a whole new reality.

Kurt likes this.
  27. mac

It's always heartening to hear of someone coming to accept that survival is for-real, something that happens for all of us.

Accounts of near-death or out-of-body experiences can be a useful way to begin researching the 'the big picture' but it's important to reflect that NDE accounts do not give details about what happens after death.

A near-death experience is exactly that - an experience that can sometimes happen when our physical body appears near to death. It's an interesting and intriguing situation but what's experienced isn't the same as what will be experienced after corporeal death.

28. Brad

Brad New Member

Sometimes people have particularly profound NDEs in which they are given information that is of great value. These are the ones that I thirst for, they are fascinating to read and sometimes very difficult to understand and accept. I think largely, that they are given this info for the purpose of sharing it with the rest of us and it can really help in answering the biggest questions....

29. mac

They may help with understanding but my approach is that details should always be viewed with caution if they're not corroborated or differ significantly from what's been taught elsewhere.

If you find details as (quote) "...sometimes very difficult to understand and accept" then it may be because there is no context for them or because there's a need for understanding of fundamental issues.

Whether any truly help to answer "the biggest questions" I really don't know - I'd have to read them to see how they felt to me. :confused:

Kurt likes this.
  30. ForeverAutumn

ForeverAutumn New Member

Some of the NDE reports on the NDERF website are very interesting to read (bearing in mind the caveat mentioned by mac, above).

One that I found striking is the story of Duane Smith, who recounts meeting not only people from his current lifetime but also from another life in Germany that was very close in time to his present incarnation. Here's the link:
    http://www.nderf.org/Experiences/1duane_s_nde.html

To me, quite a few details appear congruent with information from other sources. For example, "it was explained to me how most of our celestial, eternal knowledge is blanked-out during our chosen life spans on earth. We must temporarily forget most of what our higher-self already knows so we can immerse ourselves in the roles we have chosen to play".

And: "I now knew that the loved ones who lagged behind on earth would join us momentarily. It might be years to them, but it would only be moments to us. Time is funny that way from a celestial view."

Some elements seem rather odd ("odd" being relative, I suppose, in this context). During this experience he reports being able to eat some delicious chocolate cake made by his mother - the strange thing being that his mother was still alive at that time. He guesses that "she was probably asleep, dreaming of lovingly making her son a piece of her divine chocolate cake."

I'm not quite sure what to make of that. But I find something about the story rather heartening. Whatever else might happen to us, there's also the promise of chocolate cake. :) (Or a convincing astral simulacrum thereof).

Kurt and pandora97 like this.