1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What makes you believe there is an afterlife?

Discussion in 'Afterlife Evidence' started by Wanttobelieve, Aug 19, 2018.

1. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

True. But it has been my personal experience, and my frequent observations in the cases of other people, that if you will actually do the research, then eventually the overwhelming weight of it will quite literally fall on your head and you will become certain. It took me decades! But fortunately the evidence from so many different sources - pre-1940 communications, quantum physics, the Gospels, modern communications through mediums, personal communications and signs from dead folks, and so on and on - is all so amazingly consistent. If we were getting what looked like good information that presented a variety of different afterlife scenarios, that would be different! But as I say in The Fun of Dying, studying the afterlife feels like reading hundreds of accounts from people who made the trip to Fiji. They all had different experiences, true, but it's obvious they were all in the same place! And this, incidentally, is why I consider the belief that NDEs happen in the genuine afterlife to be so dangerous. NDEs have commonalities, but they are remarkably different in terms of details and much of what happens in an NDE is tinged with fear, religion, and so on. By contrast, genuine deaths are close to identical in process and they are remarkably free of both fear and religious ideas.

There are many different ways to process information, and we all have different thresholds of proof. From what I have seen, i was one of the toughest nuts to crack, perhaps because I was so stubborn about trying to validate Christianity in the process. For decades of carrying on this research as a pretty intensive hobby, uncertainties would unexpectedly ambush me. I was, at my core, still afraid this all might be wrong. I was in my mid-fifties (having started in my twenties) before I gave up on Christianity, and it was really only when I did A Course in Miracles through the undoing of the ego that I altogether lost all fear. By contrast, Sandra Champlain went from fear to certainty in just a few years' time!

Knowing how hard it was for me, I wrote The Fun of Dying as a quick summary of what I had learned, and then I appended to it a seventy-odd-book annotated bibliography of the best things I had read over all those decades on a myriad of sub-topics. If you are a reader, and if you will do the reading, eventually the truth will land on your head. Sandra's approach has been through personal experiences - learning to become a medium, and so on - and if that is the kind of person you are then We Don't Die should be your ticket. But the plain truth is that if you want to have it proven to you that death is an illusion and the afterlife is real, this is quite literally the first generation for whom that proof is available for the asking. And if you want to get past your fear of death badly enough to actually do the work, then yes, you yourself can indeed become certain. It is all up to you!

Nirvana likes this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

For me it's a mistake to be prescriptive over the way folk might become confident about the issues that you, Roberta, and I both understand and accept as fundamental.

I didn't have to deal with ideas from a religion I'd been conditioned by. I didn't have to read others' accounts to learn that survival happens. But I did have to read books to better understand what all of it meant. I also had certain experiences that reinforced what I was learning. Without those I don't know where I would have ended up or whether I would feel as I do now.

My wife and I both lost our baby child over thirty years ago. She's his mother, I'm his dad, the loss of our child felt like it was going to destroy both of us. But now I do this 'stuff' on ALF and my wife remains unsure how survival works. That earth-shattering part of our nearly 50 years together did not leave us reacting in similar ways. After our baby's passing my wife had read a book explaining survival but never told me. I found out only after my 'awakening' after which I, too, read that book by UK medium Doris Collins. That and a whole bunch more about all manner of things related to life, death and survival. Every book I read was there for her also to read but they weren't what she wanted or needed.

But that's all boring, personal stuff and I'm trying to make the general point that individuals are, well, individual. The ways any of us might come to a personal understanding are likely to be very different; even for a bibliophile reading someone else's story may not be a key for their own awakening.

Kurt and bluebird like this.
  3. Vanda

Vanda New Member

I am more keen to believe in parallel universes: perhaps when we leave our body our "essence" continues living in a different dimension. Perhaps we are already doing that and we do not even realise it. That would explain deja vu...The last few years, after decades of search in many directions, I am finding some interesting theories in quantum physics.

Kurt likes this.
  4. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

Welcome Vanda!

Kurt likes this.
  5. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

I find this interesting....

Vanda likes this.
  6. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :) I hope you'll take a look at threads new and old.

For us 'believers' (we don't use the word 'believe' because we know) life beyond corporeal death continues elsewhere. There's an abundance of evidence to support that position. We've had - may still have - members on ALF who share your belief in so-called parallel universes but even quantum physics hasn't yet demonstrated that's the case; for the moment they remain ideas and hypotheses.

What you see as our 'essence' we tend to refer to as our (animating) spirits or souls. An individual's spirit is eternal and has experienced existences before entering life here in-the-body and will continue to experience other lives after our time on earth is eventually over. But some members still find that idea difficult.

The notion of deja-vu is one that often attracts attention and debate.

Vanda and Kurt like this.
  7. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

mac, I'm not sure how anyone on this so-called "plane of existence" can ever actually "know" rather than just "believe", especially someone who has expressed doubts about the reality of concepts such as reincarnation and now, a parallel universe.
    A friend's husband dropped dead of a heart attack two months ago and she's been studying the subject and become quite open to it all. She became interested because of my experiences but, because I experienced them myself, I'm wary of confirmation bias!!

bluebird and Kurt like this.
  8. mac

mac Staff Member

I understand your doubt..... My response is to say that after all my research, after some confirmatory experiences, after years of writing about and discussing the subject, I reached a point in my search for understanding when I transitioned from strong belief to knowing. I can't explain the difference between the two any better other than to say it's something inside me that recognises the difference between belief and knowing has been registered in my psyche.
    Please don't misunderstand my approach, though. I'm pefectly comfortable expressing my lack of persuasion on some subjects. The notion of parallel universes is a modern one that's as yet unsubstantiated. By contrast I am totally persuaded about reincarnation/multiple lives but not necessarily in the way it's often described.

Scepticism and wariness of confirmation bias is a commendable approach. At the same time one may be able to learn from others' experiences. It's a balancing act. I try not to dismiss others' experiences and ideas at the same time as not leaving my mind so open that it becomes filled with their trash! :D Oh, yes, I have made that mistake and now I try harder not to repeat it.

pandora97 and Kurt like this.
  9. Ruby

Ruby Active Member

Very good reply indeed! But what were your confirmatory experiences. Do tell! You know we all love this stuff! Maybe it's in an old thread? I'm reading through them when I've time.

10. mac

mac Staff Member

I would tell verbally but in writing it takes way too much time.... :) I've mentioned some of my stuff on occasion but mostly it's intended to relate to a point I was trying to make or in response to someone else's thread or question.

It's not that I'm secretive but what I write here on ALF is mostly not about me - that's boring - but is intended to have relevance generally or sometimes specifically for another member.