1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What is spiritual growth? How is it measured? and by whom?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by pandora97, Oct 26, 2018.

1. pandora97

pandora97 Established Member

2. Bill Z

Bill Z Established Member

I am thankful for this group and the wonderful truth seekers here. I got a big reality check and realized how blessed I am even though I continue to grieve.
    I went to a Buddhist Meditation group today and half way through realized it was a total waste of time for me. I studied and continue to study Buddhism since I was a teenager (during WW1 Kurt if you have any questions about WW1 let me know, lol). The whole meditation and discussion was about putting others before ourselves and how 99% of the time we are only concerned about our own happiness. WTF? The newest xbox, iphone (interesting name "i" phone, very telling), the biggest slice of the cake, etc. I have never lived like that and it makes no sense but that view is very prevalent apparently.
    They also said if we meditate we will find ongoing joy, yeah right! All of our problems will melt away if we meditate. Comical IMO. Meditation is a gift and a great skill but maybe I've just lived longer or more intensely than the others in the group. Who knows? All I know is that I am a stranger in a strange world but thankfully going home in a little while to a place where people understand life.
    I am inspired by happy people, children, nature, the animals but I continue to go through life in the Stones song "Paint it Black". But it gives me a sense of compassion as much as it hurts.
    Peace and thanks everybody for your insights.

Kurt likes this.
  3. From my perspective, spiritual "growth" is a misnomer. The idea of advancement in the human sense is not logically sound. If say, we are eternal beings, then we should all be advanced. An infinite amount of time will make what is infinitesimal, say the amount of reincarnated lives, an infinite number. So, if we are eternal and time does not apply to us, then we are all "advanced." My concept of advancement is that it is like peeling an onion away. In this lifetime, you have self, with it's own identity, personality, memories, likes, dislikes, etc. I think we are all "advanced" and this is represented by the higher self. But this higher self is hidden, almost suppressed by the "noise" of the ego and many motives and drives accumulated over many lifetimes. If you want to "advance," you have to peel the onion. This process is not something that you strive towards, rather the process is effortless, because it is a process of becoming who you really are, and letting go of the false narrative, the values, ideas, and beliefs we have been indoctrinated with. As we peel this onion, we become less identified with the self, and more "connected" with everything else. It is not about destroying or neglecting the self, rather it is about a shift in perspective, a transition to higher aspects of conscious experience, a higher order of conscious-being. When this shift occurs, values change to reflect this connection to everything. As we advance, our "oneness" with everything else can no longer be ignored. Rather instead of being centered on self, a drop in an ocean, the mind begins to expand and is consumed with thoughts about the ocean. You begin to experience a profound sense of "love" than transcends human emotion. This love is timeless, not based on conditions, but surpasses all pain, suffering, and circumstances that are bound to time/place. The perspective is refreshing, like walking out of Plato's cave to find a greater reality. It is liberating, as the values of the ego, which are based on self preservation, are no longer your primary drive or concern, but the inherent beauty of this boundeless, infinite love leads to a primordial sense of bliss and self-sufficiency. It is the ego that strives to achieve something in an effort to compensate for some form of perceived self-deficiency, whether it is to make a living, to earn a degree, to climb a corporate ladder, to earn prestige or title, to "advance" in skill or expertise. The inward self, however, "strives" towards the realization and expression of it's own nature and being, which is infinite, boundless love.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    baob likes this.
  4. mac

mac Staff Member

Not for the first time we humans use the wrong words to describe situations!

If it can be accepted that we individuals are each individuated spirit - from the Great Spirit, of the Great Spirit, identically similar to the Great Spirit - then already we are all 'spiritually perfect'. But in our individuated form we become incarnates with chosen purposes that are for our spiritual 'enlargement'. Incarnations provide situations and experiences only found in such incarnations and apparently vitally important to our individual spiritual odysseys.

kim likes this.
  5. baob

baob New Member

Being spiritual to try to balance our individuality and materialism.