1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What is spiritual growth? How is it measured? and by whom?

Discussion in 'Spiritual Growth & Development' started by pandora97, Oct 26, 2018.

1. pandora97

pandora97 Well-Known Member

How do we know when we're making progress? What amount of growth is necessary to move us to the next level? How do we know if we've moved to the next level? Do we only see our level of growth after we've left our lives here behind?

Kurt likes this.
  2. mac

mac senior member Staff Member

I don't know!

I don't know!

I don't know but I feel confident we each will know when it's happened!

I think it's likely for ordinary folk like me whereas others may know before then.

Momsgirl likes this.
  3. pandora97

Thanks mac, That was insightful! :D;)

Kurt likes this.
  4. mac

I don't think I contributed much..... :oops:

Kurt likes this.
  5. yewman54

yewman54 Member

I can't answer your questions specifically but I can share what I've been told and maybe that will help you.

This growth we're all here for is really all about love. As simplistic as it may sound this existence is primarily about learning to love better and more completely. If you look at the world around you and you see people that just seem love better than others then chances are you're looking at someone that is further along on their journey.

I've also been told that because of the linear world in which we live and the linear thinking that goes with that, we tend to place too much emphasis on these "levels". We assume that "2" is better than "1" and worse than "3". They're not better, just different. These so-called levels have more to do with enlightenment and comprehension than they do achievement.

This growth is also quite personal in that we are never required to do anything. We don't have to incarnate if we don't want to. If we are content where we are then so be it. I've also been told that I've said "Never again!" to reincarnation many times and yet, here I am. This trip hasn't been fun at all. I'm already saying "Never again!". My spiritual family seems to find that quite entertaining.

Kurt and Momsgirl like this.
  6. Momsgirl

Momsgirl Member

I with you on the never again aspect!

Don't care what level I'm on as long as I see loved ones and everyone is nice.

Kurt likes this.
  7. pandora97

Thank you yewman. What a wonderful answer! But I don't really understand why it's necessary for us to grow spiritually if we all originally came from Source, God, etc. (whatever name you choose). Weren't we also perfect?

8. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

Perfectly explained.

Kurt likes this.
  9. yewman54

yewman54 Member

In a perfect world where nothing you can do is wrong what is there to test your ability to love...to take it to the limit, so to speak? (Sorry, the Eagles are playing in the background.)

How do we learn if we can't make mistakes? Not that we don't learn there, we certainly do, but we learn more and better with challenges.

While we are all born of God, or The Source or The Being whatever term you choose, we aren't created with full knowledge. What would we do for eternity? :)

Dr. Brown, Kurt and poeticblue like this.
  10. pandora97

Now that's the best reasoning I've heard so far! :D

Dr. Brown and Kurt like this.
  11. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

I think the issue that some people may have (including me at some points in life) is that if the afterlife was our true home of perfection filled with love originated by ‘our creator’ , then why leave that environment to endure hardships and lessons as an incarnate. Again, I really liked what you said because it is a great reminder at least for me and others, that there is truly no end to spiritual growth. We are always constantly growing or striving to grow. It just takes time and patience.

Kurt likes this.
  12. Kurt

Kurt Well-Known Member

When you are so loving it makes you blissful that is a sign of spiritual evolution.

13. yewman54

yewman54 Member

I've certainly had the same question at times, especially when things are tough. However, I know we have free will and that it is always respected...and, well...here I sit in this world. So, it's obviously something I've chosen and it must be important, at least to me.

Kurt likes this.
  14. mac

great observations and yes! We are already spiritually-perfect. :)

I USED to think we made spiritual progress inasmuch as we developed personally towards a 'higher' state of spiritual perfection and that progress was necessary to achieve a more-spiritually-evolved state of being. But the penny finally dropped a while ago. It's what you've said - our spirits are already perfect - they are from the source, of the source and indentically similar to the source. Our individuated state, however, gives us a different impression but it is only an impression.

We are already spiritually-perfect entities but we're on individual odysseys of discovery.

Kurt likes this.
  15. yewman54

yewman54 Member

Good points, mac.

I really dislike terms like "spiritual growth" or "spiritual evolution". They make it sound like it's a contest or something. It really is a journey or, as mac says, an odyssey.

Kurt likes this.
  16. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

Lol what a ride it’s been if that’s the case :)

Also text may be taken out of context. I remember an older member who use to post here and say that life on earth is not a competition especially when talking about the ‘levels of the afterlife’. That I do agree with. However, I don’t see the problem with the term spiritual growth.

Kurt likes this.
  17. yewman54

yewman54 Member

One of my spiritual family recently called it a "grand adventure". I have a hard time seeing that at times but I'm sure at some point I will see it that way too.

Kurt likes this.
  18. poeticblue

poeticblue Moderator

To me this life thus far has felt like a movie filled with happiness and sadness... ups and downs. At once I thought that if I could change certain things and go back in time I would. However, I’m starting to feel that even in the lowest times of my life I’m appreciative of those moments because it helped me grow closer to my family and loved ones.

Kurt likes this.
  19. pandora97

I can't wait to see what's next! ;)

Kurt likes this.
  20. pandora97

I think we all feel this way at times. But we can't go back so I wonder if that's a reason for reincarnation?

I envy you this.....I feel as though I've made most of my journey here alone.

Kurt likes this.