1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What is death?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Jaytee, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Jaytee

Jaytee New Member

Hi all new to this forum. Always been interested in after life, the meaning of life, and where we come from topics etc.

When asked what is death, or should we fear death my answer is always simple.

every single person on the planet has experienced death, Death is ceasing to be in the human body you currently occupy. Before birth non of us existed in this body we currently live in. Therefore we have all been to the place called death.
    We have no memory of that time, but I believe for the millions of years before I became of this body and planet I wasn't just nothing. So therefore after my time in this body ends I will return to that which I was before.

We have already been dead before our parents gave us life.

Bill Z likes this.
  2. mac

mac Staff Member

welcome to ALF :)

quote: "We have already been dead before our parents gave us life."

We have already lived elsewhere before we incarnated on this last (or the first) occasion. Parents don't give us life - they simply provide an opportunity for us to live here in this world - again or for the first time. ;)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    kim likes this.
  3. mac

mac Staff Member

Unlikely unless you're also claiming that nobody is here for their first time ever - how could you know that was the case?

4. bluebird

bluebird Regular Contributor

I've seen this argument made before. In my opinion, not existing before this life on Earth, or existing in spirit in a before life/afterlife, is not the same as death. Similar, perhaps, in some ways, but not the same.

5. mac

mac Staff Member

It's certainly not the same because physical death is entirely a transient state. It's simply what happens when we pass from this physical dimension of existence to an 'etheric' one.

It's been said by discarnate teachers that even the transition between 'levels' is a kind of death because it's an irreversible change. When we move from one 'level' of spiritual existence to the following one there's no going back other than transiently if there's a particular reason for that to happen.

6. Convolution

Convolution Active Member

I've read before that the idea of 'levels' in the afterlife is non existent, and we are all on the same level. How did you come to the conclusion that these transitions indeed exist? Was it that you happened to find it described in a number of descriptions you read about resonated to your liking, or did you find some other means of validation?

7. mac

mac Staff Member

I don't see them as discrete levels at all but it's a commonly-used idea that indicates the overall spiritual status of the individuals found there. I disagree with the notion we're all at the same level or existing on the same level - that's contrary to what's taught and contrary to my understanding.

A number of aspects are usually involved when anything appeals to my reason, the notion of 'spiritual levels' being just such one such example.

8. Convolution

Ok, let me see if I understand. So you believe 'levels' is just a word we use to represent the infinite spectrum of personal spiritual advancement we are ever so gradually acquiring, and that doing so is a one way street. Once learned, a lesson cannot be unlearned. But we can see and communicate with all, not just on the same level, as it is not our placement in a spiritual space of some kind that changes, but our understanding that shifts.
    Is that correct?

9. mac

mac Staff Member

no - Agreed just up to the highlighted idea.....

10. Convolution

Ok, got it. Why do you think those which are of a different level cannot communicate? Is it that if you were of a different level, you may not see nor experience those either with lower or higher growth? If that is the case, then is there a threshold where one crosses over (like an actual level, I guess)? Who determines the "thickness" of these bands of levels, or their count? Is there a limitless number of them?

I've read a few different things on this subject. I'm interested in what you have accepted.