1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Afterlife Forums is an online, interactive community designed to give seekers direct access to prominent researchers, to afterlife literature, and to one another in order to foster both spiritual growth and public interest in life after death.

What era do we reincarnate in?

Discussion in 'General Afterlife Discussions' started by Kurt, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

Whenever we reincarnate are we able to choose which time we reincarnate in?
    For example, if I die in 2020 can I reincarnate in 1969?

2. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

This is a difficult question to answer. We are told pretty consistently that time does not exist and that all our earth-lives (and all of earth-time) are happening at once, with our lifetimes actually influencing one another. So in theory, yes, you could mix up your incarnations out of order that way. But a great deal would depend on why you would want to do that! If it's just because you want to wear love-beads and try LSD, then such a lifetime likely would not be approved and you wouldn't be able to locate a body being born there. But if, on the other hand, you had a specific set of experiences that you and your primary guide thought were important for you to have for your own spiritual growth, and if a body that could be used to have those experiences was about to be born in 1969, then you might well be offered that body. So it's hard to say!

Kurt likes this.
  3. Widdershins3

Widdershins3 Active Member

I've wondered the same thing, Kurt. My brain has a hard time wrapping itself around the concept that everything is happening at once and my need for order makes me tend to organize time neatly in a linear fashion. But then I saw the movie Interstellar (the Matthew McConaughy one of several years ago) and the sight of "stacked times" in a pivotal scene really struck me. And I know I've read books by reputable mediums and researchers who say their spirit contacts have tried to describe something similar, so I tend to accept the theory.

A number of them have also said that our understanding of karma is skewed and is not just simple payback for the actions of "previous" lifetimes. Which would mean that our higher souls are experiencing many lifetimes, not just one, in which all the lives affect our spiritual development. At once. Which boggles my mind a bit. But I see no reason, based upon my current understanding, why we couldn't choose a lifetime in an era before this life's point in time, though we won't know for certain until we're over there and know more about the true nature of things.

4. mac

mac Staff Member

After 30 odd years 'in the spooks' I'm still struggling to make sense of the notion of all events happening concurrently, being able to travel around in time etc. If my 'higher self' knows the full story it ain't communicating the relevant details or if it is then those details ain't reaching my conscious understanding.

The only thing that appeals to my reason right now is a linear progression from where we used to be to where we'll be at some future point. That's also in line with what I've learned from the teachers who've influenced my ideas. If that's too simplistic then I'll just have to wait 'til I get 'back home' to see what I actually do know and find out what I don't. Maybe I'll bring some of that understanding back with me on a new incarnation. But maybe I won't, any more than I might have failed to do that this time around... ;)

5. Kurt

Kurt Major Contributor

@RobertaGrimes Seasons Greetings Mrs. Grimes. I hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year's. I would like to inquire whether or not your views on this matter changed or evolved over the course of a quarter-decade?

6. RobertaGrimes

RobertaGrimes Administrator

It appears from the evidence that all of our lifetimes are happening at once and we can indeed reincarnate out of earth-time order, but specifically to experience events that will help us grow spiritually - not just so we can wear love-beads and say,"Peace, Man!"

Kurt likes this.
  7. kim

kim Regular Contributor

Is the body who we are or is it just for us to have earthly experiences in? In my body I get weighed down, but I see better things when I think of spiritual things I experienced during the NDE.

8. mac

mac Staff Member

Surely as incarnates our bodies are PART of who we are.

In this dimension we can't function without them so they're inseparable from us hence we think of them as who we are. You, kim, along with some others here know that's just part of the story and also know that your life-changing NDE gave you a privileged insight - albeit in an apparently life-threatening situation with awful after-effects - into life beyond death, something only a few are blessed with (?) experiencing - even though at the time it doesn't necessarily seem that way. ;)

9. kim

kim Regular Contributor

You are absolutely right Mac about that! Moments have ups and downs.